The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 21st, 2022

richwmn

Good morning everyone. Last night I went with friends to a bingo event at our clubhouse. They played all sorts of games including the letter P and the word love. The last time I played bingo I was  on a HAL ship. It was a special birthday and I won a free cruise. Of course we wound up upgrading but it was a nice perk. No, I didn’t win anything last night but the $2 entry fee and the price of $2 per card caused an accumulation of a lot of money to distribute as prizes.

Our heat wave continues and we are desperate for rain. The lawns are brown and NJ has a drought situation.

Take care everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I don't remember the last time I had spumoni ice cream - I always liked the little fruit bits.  Although I became a senior citizen a couple of years ago, I've never felt like one; I think I'm mentally stuck around 45.  Today's quote is so true - after having a good hard laugh, taking a deep breath is like cleansing your soul and feels so good.

Yesterday was a hard day for us - we received a phone call that our dear friend and cruising buddy Melodie had passed away.  She and her husband had joined us on numerous cruises over the past 15 years until her travel days were curtailed by Parkinson's disease.  She has been in a care home for the past 2 years, but had gone into a rapid decline this past week and passed away in her sleep.  It's so sad because she was such a lovely person inside and out who never had a bad thing to say about anyone.  Why is it always the nice ones who go; why can't it be the terrible ones?  Her husband (who also plays in DH's band) is coming over this morning so we can talk about her service and what our roles will possibly be.  

Although we still aren't into much food, we do like stuffed peppers - substituting bell peppers for the poblanos.  Last night we had another food delivery of the most amazing giant shrimp in a tomato sauce, courtesy Sophia's husband - another wonderful cook.  Each of us had 1 shrimp and a spoonful of rice and that was all we could manage, but it was delicious.

Keeping everyone in my prayers today, stay healthy everyone.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends!  I'm dawdling today I guess.  Look at the time already!  It's cloudy here and we expect rain today.  Apparently we had a booming storm last night because DH said he heard a huge crack of thunder and I didn't even wake up!  Amazing!  When I turned the news on in the kitchen during breakfast the volume was full blast which always happens when we have a power outage of any length, even half a second.  

Talking about TVs, Annie @marshhawk, if your DH likes the TV on all day and you don't want to hear it, you might like the bluetooth headphones (in-ear earphones) by NANAMI that I have.  If he wears hearing aids he would need over the ear type headphones.  The ones I have are very comfortable and only I can hear the TV.  DH doesn't like TV racket as he calls it.  

https://www.amazon.com/NANAMI-Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Cancelling/dp/B07H7X7J75/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1N179HNXHT2XG&keywords=nanami+bluetooth+headphones&qid=1661089834&sprefix=nanami+bluetooth%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-3

If your TV doesn't have bluetooth, you have to purchase a small transmitter to plug into the TV or DVR like we do.  The Sony TV I am paired with is only 11 years old and doesn't have bluetooth I guess.  My DS and hubby figure out all these electronic things for me.  I like that I can go tend to laundry and hear everything perfectly in my ear, or walk on my treadmill and do the same.  I wander all over the house sometimes!

I'm glad to have the Daily to read every day Rich @richwmnso thank you for that!  Even though I've never tried spumoni ice cream, I would probably love it.  I'm an ice cream fan.  Cheers to all the poets of the world past and present!  And I definitely am a senior citizen.  I used to not feel like it but lately I do.  Interesting quote.  The stuffed poblanos look good but I might as well stick to plain old green peppers which I love stuffed.  However if you're making them I might give them a taste.  Thanks Debbie @dfishfor the many recipes.  Hope the painting goes well.  Might take longer to dry if it's raining there.  I wish some of that rain would head over to Carol @mamaofami's house!  

Happy birthday to @superoma's DH tomorrow and also happy 41st anniversary to Graham and Pauline @grapau27and @Paw13tomorrow.  I have my physcial therapy evaluation tomorrow morning and may not have time to get here to the Daily beforehand.  Linda @lindalerwhat a shame the seller misrepresented the roof situation on the house you bought for DS.  If he put it in writing on the disclosure sheet that the roof was "replaced" 4 years ago and not repairs made at that time, you could sue for the cost of a new roof, possibly.  However lawyers are expensive.  Do you have a lawyer in your family?  That would come in handy!!  @ottahand7thank you for the great photo of the eagle catching fish.  Beautiful!

What a list of Care and Celebrations today!  Thanks Roy @rafinmd!  Prayers for everyone.  And cheers for all celebrating and cruising.  Have a great time y'all!

Boston, Massachusetts is a nice port of call to visit.  It is the first time we have seen it here on the Daily though many have talked about their stops there on cruises before.  We visited once on Rotterdam in 2018 on our Montreal to Tampa cruise.  I liked the fact we continued past New York to Charleston, Key West and over to Tampa.  I may look for some pictures after I tend to the laundry (while listening to my bluetooth headphones).  Later!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I'm dawdling today I guess.  Look at the time already!  It's cloudy here and we expect rain today.  Apparently we had a booming storm last night because DH said he heard a huge crack of thunder and I didn't even wake up!  Amazing!  When I turned the news on in the kitchen during breakfast the volume was full blast which always happens when we have a power outage of any length, even half a second.  

Talking about TVs, Annie @marshhawk, if your DH likes the TV on all day and you don't want to hear it, you might like the bluetooth headphones (in-ear earphones) by NANAMI that I have.  If he wears hearing aids he would need over the ear type headphones.  The ones I have are very comfortable and only I can hear the TV.  DH doesn't like TV racket as he calls it.  

https://www.amazon.com/NANAMI-Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Cancelling/dp/B07H7X7J75/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1N179HNXHT2XG&keywords=nanami+bluetooth+headphones&qid=1661089834&sprefix=nanami+bluetooth%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-3

If your TV doesn't have bluetooth, you have to purchase a small transmitter to plug into the TV or DVR like we do.  The Sony TV I am paired with is only 11 years old and doesn't have bluetooth I guess.  My DS and hubby figure out all these electronic things for me.  I like that I can go tend to laundry and hear everything perfectly in my ear, or walk on my treadmill and do the same.  I wander all over the house sometimes!

I'm glad to have the Daily to read every day Rich @richwmnso thank you for that!  Even though I've never tried spumoni ice cream, I would probably love it.  I'm an ice cream fan.  Cheers to all the poets of the world past and present!  And I definitely am a senior citizen.  I used to not feel like it but lately I do.  Interesting quote.  The stuffed poblanos look good but I might as well stick to plain old green peppers which I love stuffed.  However if you're making them I might give them a taste.  Thanks Debbie @dfishfor the many recipes.  Hope the painting goes well.  Might take longer to dry if it's raining there.  I wish some of that rain would head over to Carol @mamaofami's house!  

Happy birthday to @superoma's DH tomorrow and also happy 41st anniversary to Graham and Pauline @grapau27and @Paw13tomorrow.  I have my physcial therapy evaluation tomorrow morning and may not have time to get here to the Daily beforehand.  Linda @lindalerwhat a shame the seller misrepresented the roof situation on the house you bought for DS.  If he put it in writing on the disclosure sheet that the roof was "replaced" 4 years ago and not repairs made at that time, you could sue for the cost of a new roof, possibly.  However lawyers are expensive.  Do you have a lawyer in your family?  That would come in handy!!  @ottahand7thank you for the great photo of the eagle catching fish.  Beautiful!

What a list of Care and Celebrations today!  Thanks Roy @rafinmd!  Prayers for everyone.  And cheers for all celebrating and cruising.  Have a great time y'all!

Boston, Massachusetts is a nice port of call to visit.  It is the first time we have seen it here on the Daily though many have talked about their stops there on cruises before.  We visited once on Rotterdam in 2018 on our Montreal to Tampa cruise.  I liked the fact we continued past New York to Charleston, Key West and over to Tampa.  I may look for some pictures after I tend to the laundry (while listening to my bluetooth headphones).  Later!

Thank you Sandi.

I hope everything goes well at your physical therapy evaluation tomorrow.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I don't remember the last time I had spumoni ice cream - I always liked the little fruit bits.  Although I became a senior citizen a couple of years ago, I've never felt like one; I think I'm mentally stuck around 45.  Today's quote is so true - after having a good hard laugh, taking a deep breath is like cleansing your soul and feels so good.

Yesterday was a hard day for us - we received a phone call that our dear friend and cruising buddy Melodie had passed away.  She and her husband had joined us on numerous cruises over the past 15 years until her travel days were curtailed by Parkinson's disease.  She has been in a care home for the past 2 years, but had gone into a rapid decline this past week and passed away in her sleep.  It's so sad because she was such a lovely person inside and out who never had a bad thing to say about anyone.  Why is it always the nice ones who go; why can't it be the terrible ones?  Her husband (who also plays in DH's band) is coming over this morning so we can talk about her service and what our roles will possibly be.  

Although we still aren't into much food, we do like stuffed peppers - substituting bell peppers for the poblanos.  Last night we had another food delivery of the most amazing giant shrimp in a tomato sauce, courtesy Sophia's husband - another wonderful cook.  Each of us had 1 shrimp and a spoonful of rice and that was all we could manage, but it was delicious.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Gerry.

Condolences to all her family and friends.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Wow!  That’s over 100%.  The HAL websites says the Rotterdam carries 2668 guests.  Does it feel crowded?  Are you able to find a seat in the Lido?  Are there lines for the tenders?  We will be sailing her for the first time in February.  I had to convince my husband to give her a try because he prefers smaller ships.  

Thanks for your insights and for taking us along on your trip.

Yes, We do feel it is crowded in Lido and Music Walk areas. The specialty restaurants have been packed. High count is probably due to lots of families and many with infants Plus the total count was stated by a reliable crew member but could be wrong. Just know it’s busy.

Haven’t tendered yet.

Music Walk venues are packed and it’s hard to find seating and many times SRO. I feel there could be some relief if they would use the World Stage more but I’m confident they make more money in close proximity to bars.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

We arrived in Boston on October 20, 2018 and walked downtown from the pier.  Does anyone know what this building is?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQgfk4f7ZOvTiLdgbn5ilU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377198

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrguedqEY2PgwBdkD85A8T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377201

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIof0onuRfjkx06i21xHFy2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379783

There were tons of tourists everywhere.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlIUj9SWvcbaP-J_CVM1Fx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377213

We saw the Old South Meeting House (organizing point for the Boston Tea Party on Dec. 16, 1773.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIz2lbnts3Iu6p0U0jfm9SV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377222

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVISrAdMsTcZaXAx1pvX_CWo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377222

The Park Street Congregational Church00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI94-YPm4-k4XmnY6LVIx70?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377227

The Massachusetts State House00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLiaFi8WbvB-XW3zNVoe0XX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379866

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGmiVega-tL-14l-nleAeo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379847

Across the street from the State House is Boston Common and this sculpture, a memorial for the soldiers of the Civil War.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIA42867lPX6aZ4zvFzZfKT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377238

Boston Common is simply a park in the center of Boston00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK81jUqFjlCMXuOMK55tPeL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379890

This is about all it is, a green area in the midst of the city.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPvPw2bhmfBY3p5tEXXx2N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379879

Here is the old State House.  Interesting old building in the midst of skyscrapers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyQxJLajWdtksEov7aUgMa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377402

Honestly I love gardens so this was one of my favorite sights during our time spent in Boston.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKmwgLCmnENyn8kW9qbbn5n?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546377408

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZfI8Nyw_RbsKjckIrLeYo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379963

heading back to the ship00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJzIEX4JOUu4uakTBmyWvkz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379969

That's when I noticed the Boston Tea Party Museum.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIL8dYkH9p7EU3irNdfWKQU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546379974

We had a great time there.  Except for the Boston Airport that was my first visit to Boston.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good Sunday morning to all

Thank you Rich for the Daily and the Fleet Report.

I like all three of the days.  i am a Senior Citizen, although at each birthday (coming up in less than two weeks) I now count backwards.  i like poetry, but I am not a poet.  Spumoni is okay, but like Tortoni better.

The quote is great. 

I have to pass on the meal because I cannot eat peppers

Thank you Graham for Father David’s homily.  Very nice.

Thank you to Roy for the lists,.  Prayers to all who need them and Cheers to those celebrating.

I have been to Boston, but not on a cruise.  I had to go there for work. Spent three weeks there.,  Got to do some sightseeing on the weekends, but during the week, I saw a lot of the Tip O’Neill Federal Building.  All my photos are pre-digital.

i hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

@ger_77I am so sorry to read about the passing of your friend.  You asked why the good people always seem to pass way too early.  I was told that God doesn't want the mean people, and that Satan isn't done with them yet.  Thank heavens that we are giving the opportunity to change.

@StLouisCruisersThanks for the tip on the headphones.  I will admit that since we wear head phones at our job for 6 hours a day, I 'm not sure that either of us would wear them.  I just need to get a nice comfy chair for the library and park myself there.  But I do like the idea.  Then we would always be yelling at each other.  LOL

Mentally I too think i'm in my 40's, I get great ideas, and then realize what the body can and cannot do.  I need to challenge my self more.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

May  she  rest  in  peace.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from breezy central Texas.  The forecast was for clouds and rain, but we woke up to sunny skies.  The clouds are slowly moving in, and the rain should start later today.

I think DH had spumoni and liked it, but I'm not a fan.  It's the fruit bits that I don't care for.  I don't feel like a senior citizen, but then once in a while by body reminds me that I'm not that young any more.  I will honor poets, but poetry is not my favorite form of reading material.

I like the quote, and think we should all try to laugh more often.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I might like to try to wine.  @dfish  Debbie, that last recipe looks like a chili relleno, which is popular in Texas and the southwestern US.

We have been to Boston a few times either driving through, sailing to and from and as a port day.  I have quite a few pictures, and will share them in two posts.

@aliaschief  When we did b2b2b2bs twice on Koningsdam recently, the shows and the menus were the same each week.  While the  ship was never more than 50% capacity there were generally less than 75 people doing b2b.  I loved the ship, but not sure I would want to sail on her when she was full.  I agree, they under utilize the World Stage, and what they did show there was not that great, especially after the first time or two.  Fortunately, we could always find seats in Billboard on Board, and could here the duo and the music from the Rolling Stone Rock Room.

@richwmn  Rich, thanks for the information on Friday's wine.

@kochleffel  Good luck with the tent sail.

@lindaler  Linda, how awful about the non disclosure about the roof.  Your real estate agent might have a suggestion for a remedy for the extra cost of a new roof.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for letting us know Father David will be away the next two Sundays.  I hope he has a great vacation.

@1ANGELCAT  I'm glad Fluff is doing better.

@ottahand7  Beautiful picture.  I love seeing eagles catch fish.

@ger_77  Gerry, our condolences to the both of you, and your friend's family, especially her husband. 

In 2004, on the old Regal Princes, we stopped in Boston twice on a roundtrip from NYC to Montreal.  The first day, we took the Ho-Ho around town.  We'd planned to go to see the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) the second time we were there.  However, Mother Nature had other ideas, and it poured rain that day, which turned into a sea day.

These are a few of my pictures from 2004 and from our sail awyas.

The area where the Boston Tea Party took place

IMG_3710.thumb.JPG.01e8e26fba57e66ab5af0e31f0e1ff5a.JPG

Quincy Market, which we wandered through for a little while.  We also visited Faneuil Hall, but I don't have any pictures.

IMG_3712.thumb.JPG.ec49f4e0a2349616d1a720cc3a6efb55.JPG

The Charlestown Navy Yard

IMG_3719.thumb.JPG.dfb02bd5eaa93449c55fd0c61e076521.JPG

This is as close as we came to Old Ironsides.  We did tour her sister ship the USS Constellation in Baltimore many, many years ago.

IMG_3724.thumb.JPG.7363920fefa2998ddcd1a60f773c7506.JPG

IMG_3726.thumb.JPG.f460145d98bf52ccc95c389bb716e5c2.JPG

A few pictures from our sail aways leaving Boston.

DSC00024.thumb.JPG.f63f690cb38e81e4eb9d775e0ab64b67.JPG

DSC00350.thumb.JPG.3f1bc7eddd326753274d2779c3cfecfe.JPG

DSC00351.thumb.JPG.0e30a50623c284af86acd3e57c505fbf.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

an update on the wine from Friday (Devlanee Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand SOT) that no one was able to find. It appears to have been on a list of wines that were available on HAL sometime prior to when I assembled the list. I was able to find images of the various wines on line somewhere and typed the lists from there.

After a bit more checking here is what happened. I used an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program to convert the images to text. On most of the wines on that particular image it did a very good job, but it failed on this one miserably.

Drylands Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand JS90 was the actual wine on Cellar No 3.

@rafinmdthis was added after you saw the post

The universe has righted itself! Thank you Rich!

Drylands was one of the trailblazers of NZ Sauvignon Blancs! Excellent reviews from critics and consumers and a very reasonable price. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $15.89.

PRODUCER DESCRIPTION

Drylands was one of the pioneers of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, and amongst the first wineries to produce Sauvignon Blanc in New Zealand. The Drylands 'Home Block' vineyard, beside the Drylands winery, is one of the oldest vineyards in Marlborough, and the vines, planted in 1980 are amongst the oldest Sauvignon Blanc vines in the country. Founding winemaker Darryl Wooley made the first vintage off the Home Block in 1982, and for over 30 years continued to keep Drylands at the leading edge as Marlborough developed. The Drylands winery facility was a pioneering in innovation to develop the Marlborough style with, progressive customised structural features, such as 'tipping tanks' to fine tune skin contact for Sauvignon Blanc. Based in the heart of the 'Golden Triangle' in the center of the Wairau Valley, Drylands with its signature style is a custodian of classic Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc style.

Show less

DESCRIPTION

Drylands Sauvignon Blanc White Wine opens with layers of passion fruit, fruit zest, and tropical fruit on the nose with a hint of elderflower. The palate offers juicy, weighty, sweet fruit balanced with clean acidity. Concentrated citrus flavors with layers of passion fruit, pink grapefruit, and pomelo linger through the finish. Made with grapes from the esteemed Marlborough, New Zealand appellation, this Marlborough region white wine is born from Drylands Home Block Vineyards, one of the oldest sauvignon blanc vineyards. Pair this delicious white wine with seafood and poultry or enjoy a glass of wine on its own. Varietal: 100% sauvignon blanc. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Now, for the rest of the pictures.  These are from 2013 when we did two roundtrips to Quebec City on the Veendam.   @rafinmd  Roy, it looks like we just missed you, since we boarded on 8/24.

We were back in Boston for the turnaround day on September 7, 2013.  Because a short day, we opted to take a ship tour of Boston.

Our first stop was Boston Commons.  These pictures are in around the Commons.

DSC00319.thumb.JPG.4ab47b3f5c1ee861c3e4e1419beb8fb6.JPG

DSC00320.thumb.JPG.6f0c3a35a8ee3fb03582050652dac63f.JPG

DSC00321.thumb.JPG.00c1804d6b590d4cf4f13aef79af92e9.JPG

Paul Revere statue with Park Street Church in the background.

DSC00335.thumb.JPG.a38028981947b989b560e3ccd757acdb.JPG

DSC00322.thumb.JPG.837b7b466c927b16bab0b58da9a43514.JPG

DSC00325.thumb.JPG.1bcdb0e5557a1951cbdddd6419ffd23c.JPG

Our next stop was Harvard Yard.

DSC00327.thumb.JPG.e444944bdecfe96c52fe58ed4080952d.JPG

DSC00326.thumb.JPG.53e73d98f27fdfec3944bbe0a6361d8c.JPG

DSC00330.thumb.JPG.127de66ca2a50b2681f79259b26e0d7f.JPG

Our final stop was the Old North Church, Christ Episcopal Church.  The first is a common garden with the church in the background.

DSC00334.thumb.JPG.3767d27a56cc1b4da5e7ca3ddd9a25d4.JPG

DSC00343.thumb.JPG.0f22ab9b668c72afbf4d39729cb5eb8e.JPG

The church is tall and the area around it does not give much room for a photo.  I had to take two pictures to get the entire front of the church.

DSC00344.thumb.JPG.9eeed671cef83b10ba34f27e216b5712.JPG

1519911956_DSC00345-Copy.thumb.JPG.669ec0433989e5d47b0cf396a4bd019c.JPG

DSC00348.thumb.JPG.f7e0016ceb4048821480f5d890efd3fc.JPG

The inside of the church

DSC00339.thumb.JPG.38c03d99f5ef8c7c2713aeed20f41783.JPG

DSC00340.thumb.JPG.daf85f92a318c007590c3840680f26a4.JPG

A neighborhood street leading to the church.

DSC00342.thumb.JPG.c96e18795a47983f99cf0fda551be574.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning all!

It's an overcast morning, heading for high 70's F again.  I'll be doing more applesauce today so my day will be like yesterday!  DD, DSIL and the grandsons got home from Crater Lake late last night, it's good to know they're safely home, especially after that scare with the tire. It sounds like they had an amazing trip.  Makes me want to get down there again, I know I went once as a child.

I don't know yet if DD will be coming to get their kitty today or if she'll ask us to bring him down when we go down there tomorrow.  He's been a perfect houseguest. 🙂  

I like Spumoni ice cream, but have never had the dessert.  I don't think I'd like it as much.  Like others, I may be a senior citizen but in my mind I'm still in my 40's. The quote is so true.  Nothing like a good belly laugh.  I'll pass on the meal, spice in any amount doesn't agree with me.  The drink and wine both sound very good.  We've been to Boston several times and will be again in October.  My photos would be too much like others already posted (thank you for them!).  I think we've done all the touristy things there, but I'm thinking of visiting the Paul Revere House this time and just walking around (weather permitting). Debbie @dfishis that something worth seeing?  I would think it is...

Gerry @ger_77 My condolences on the loss of your good friend.  May she rest in peace.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Sunny here after yesterday's showers. I think we are supposed to have a couple of dry days before the sporadic rains return. Luckily we are not getting the really heavy monsoonal rains that have hit Arizona. The shelter roof will get more testing before we sign off on it.

Like the meal and I have been to Boston several times. Always enjoy a little light sight-seeing and a little heavy seafood eating. I am a long-timer in the senior category.... I am sort of gearing my cruising plans and wishes to somewhat reduced capabilities. Fortunately dog walking keeps me moving.

Today is another sorting and tossing day.... and I need to get some groceries although I do have enough to get through another few days if I plan carefully. The freezer is good.... its the fresh I need.

Sending my best wishes and prayers  to those that need them and willing to celebrate with anyone who has a cause to celebrate. I still do a bit of jig when I think about Shadow's recovery from the lost....I am a sucker of the furry ones.

Susan

• Like 25

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

When we lived in Maine we visited Boston often. I did not enjoy driving in Boston because of all of the one way streets, lack of parking, and tight quarters in the parking garages. Most of the cars we saw had various dents and scratches.

That being said, Boston is a great place for self-guided walking tours. The history is rich and there is much to be seen and learned.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

When we lived in Maine we visited Boston often. I did not enjoy driving in Boston because of all of the one way streets, lack of parking, and tight quarters in the parking garages. Most of the cars we saw had various dents and scratches.

That being said, Boston is a great place for self-guided walking tours. The history is rich and there is much to be seen and learned.

We've only driven through Boston once when we were heading to Cape Cod from a camping trip in Acadia National Park, and that was in 1974.  Since then, we've always let someone else do the driving in Boston.

Lenda

• Like 21

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I don't care for spumoni, even though I love ice cream. I'll salute senior citizens (what age defines that?) and poets. Good quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I've never cruised to/from Boston, but went to school there for 6 years in the 70's. I was back in 2009 when I had the arbitration after a cruise injury. I'll look for any pictures.

Before I went to bed, there was great thunder, lightning and rain. Same during the middle of the night, and early this AM. We're under a flood watch (I'm on high ground, so no worries). More storms tonight and the next 2 days. This should green up the lawn!

@grapau27 Thank you for Father David's sermon today. Lovely scenery.

@kazu Thinking of you and I hope Shadow got settled with the foster.

@aliaschief Enjoy the 2nd half of your cruise!

@cruzn single Prayers for you on what would have been your 51st anniversary.

@smitty34877 Prayers that you all continue to improve.

@lindaler That's awful the seller was dishonest about the house. Good luck to DS moving in.

@ottahand7 Great photo by DH!

@ger_77 My condolences on the loss of your friend Melodie and to her husband and family. Prayers for your and DH's continued improvement.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I drove my first car in Boston!

Prayers for the Care List and a Salute to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, Dailyites, Happy Sunday.  Pat has gone to church and then breakfast with my cousins, but I stayed home, as I seem to be having another bout of IC and am back on clear liquids.  At least they gave me some pills (anti-spasmodics) in the hospital, but I suppose I should call the doctor tomorrow.   Now I am a bit worried about our cruise in 3 weeks.  Actually, I thought we should "self-insure" but Pat said "get the insurance!" so I did, now I'm glad I did what he told me (I don't always...)   I've been researching diet, and I suppose one problem is that I should not be eating DD's usually quite spicy food.  

We were in Boston just a few weeks ago, after our Viking Passage cruise and took the ship's transfer to the airport with tour.  Our guide on the bus was an old Bostonian (?) and so of course we had a visit to Fenway Park.  We were there for quite a while, and we also drove past the site of the bombing of the Boston Marathon, which now has memorial posts along the sidewalk.  Just a few pictures.

IMG_1610.thumb.jpeg.688996ad0861768a5c15a7fa5d3073dc.jpeg

IMG_1611.thumb.jpeg.878e3c53e61b4c8bc755727c29441681.jpeg

IMG_1612.thumb.jpeg.377d7b4c194f17883162ae7858badd48.jpeg

Ted Williams, our guide's hero.

IMG_1613.thumb.jpeg.34312f61adc7f236f2b9de03eb4a59a8.jpeg

The new building Moderna is putting up - I guess they can afford it!

IMG_1623.thumb.jpeg.273f76e1cb77111bcf5cdf6a6926982d.jpeg

Site of the bombing and the spiral poles put up as a memorial

IMG_1631.thumb.jpeg.8e94561339cb5d63c06b853b00274881.jpeg

We drove over the Finish Line!

IMG_1633.thumb.jpeg.dfbc4e889eb58bcc8a5bc26e6193ccb9.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Now, for the rest of the pictures.  These are from 2013 when we did two roundtrips to Quebec City on the Veendam.   @rafinmd  Roy, it looks like we just missed you, since we boarded on 8/24.

We were back in Boston for the turnaround day on September 7, 2013.  Because a short day, we opted to take a ship tour of Boston.

Our first stop was Boston Commons.  These pictures are in around the Commons.

DSC00319.thumb.JPG.4ab47b3f5c1ee861c3e4e1419beb8fb6.JPG

DSC00320.thumb.JPG.6f0c3a35a8ee3fb03582050652dac63f.JPG

DSC00321.thumb.JPG.00c1804d6b590d4cf4f13aef79af92e9.JPG

Paul Revere statue with Park Street Church in the background.

DSC00335.thumb.JPG.a38028981947b989b560e3ccd757acdb.JPG

DSC00325.thumb.JPG.1bcdb0e5557a1951cbdddd6419ffd23c.JPG

Our next stop was Harvard Yard.

DSC00327.thumb.JPG.e444944bdecfe96c52fe58ed4080952d.JPG

DSC00326.thumb.JPG.53e73d98f27fdfec3944bbe0a6361d8c.JPG

DSC00330.thumb.JPG.127de66ca2a50b2681f79259b26e0d7f.JPG

Our final stop was the Old North Church, Christ Episcopal Church.  The first is a common garden with the church in the background.

DSC00334.thumb.JPG.3767d27a56cc1b4da5e7ca3ddd9a25d4.JPG

DSC00343.thumb.JPG.0f22ab9b668c72afbf4d39729cb5eb8e.JPG

The church is tall and the area around it does not give much room for a photo.  I had to take two pictures to get the entire front of the church.

DSC00344.thumb.JPG.9eeed671cef83b10ba34f27e216b5712.JPG

1519911956_DSC00345-Copy.thumb.JPG.669ec0433989e5d47b0cf396a4bd019c.JPG

DSC00348.thumb.JPG.f7e0016ceb4048821480f5d890efd3fc.JPG

The inside of the church

DSC00339.thumb.JPG.38c03d99f5ef8c7c2713aeed20f41783.JPG

DSC00340.thumb.JPG.daf85f92a318c007590c3840680f26a4.JPG

A neighborhood street leading to the church.

Lenda

Thank you for your interesting photos Lenda.

• Like 9