The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 10th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, all.  I didn't post yesterday but wanted to share a memory from the Queen's life.  Growing up in Port Huron, Michigan, we were just across the border from Sarnia, Ontario, and my fathers side immigrated from Canada in 1900. My Grandparents maintained their Canadian citizenship.  When my own parents found out that HMY Britannia would be passing up the St Clair River, after a brief stop in Sarnia with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Philip aboard, 

we had to watch it pass.  That was July 1959.  I was not overly excited to see someone's yacht sail by as the river had many of them in July.  However, when they impressed me with the fact it was just not another wealthy owners yacht, it was The Queen's yacht all the way from England, I was ready!  When it came into view, I think it seemed more like a large cargo ship than a yacht.  Much more than a yacht, more like a real cruise ship.

I sadly never got to see her in person but did see Philip in the trooping of the colors in London in 2003, when I first went to Europe and cruised aboard the old Noordam.  We docked in Dover and did the London excursion as long day trip.  I was impressed. 

britannia_re_rnc_02.jpg

rmy_britannia_01.jpg

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
spelling
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

DD and DSIL left early this morning for the 60-mile MS Bike Ride.  And today is the warmest of all week (87F) plus the first hazy day of smoke here.  They've participated every year and I'm very proud of them.  MS is a disease that has touched both sides of our family.  DGS is still sleeping, I hope his brother had a good time at the sleepover last night.  

The drink and meal both sound great, will have to hear about the wine before I decide.  I think the port will be on our Grand Australia '24, I look forward to any photos shared.  

Debbie @dfishit's encouraging that the owners countered your offer.  The open house had probably been set up for a long time, and it's natural they're hoping for better offers.  

Gerry @ger_77I can only imagine how hard it was to officiate at a good friend's funeral.  ((hugs))

Thinking of Jacqui @kazu today.

Well DGS just got up, now I get busy!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful day with  blue skies and a breeze.

We have not been to the port but will celebrate Sewing Machine Day. The recipes look good and have been scrutinized by the executive chef. We will try the first recipe tonight and make two separate dishes in order to please the vegetarians. I even had all of the ingredients on hand.

@ger_77, I am so impressed that you were able to officiate at your dear friend’s funeral.It had to be so sad,especially at the cemetery. 
I delivered a eulogy for a dear friend and only got through it without crying because I was still in that state of shock from a sudden death.

Jacqui @kazu, I am thinking of you often throughout the day today. I hope the weather cooperated .

@Cruzin Terri, I was glad to see that you are in a more comfortable living situation. I hope the coming days are better for you ending hugs as well.

Tana’s son made the JV Football team and DD and I have divided up the driving to practice  duties. He is so excited and we are happy to see him so happy. 
Terry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

We had some rain yesterday both in San Diego and at home. It has brought the temperature down, but it is still warm and humid (for SoCal). We have a family barbecue today.

I will celebrate Sewing Machine Day by working some on a cover I am making for my main machine. It has old singer floral decals embroidered on it, that I digitized. I have my gramma’s old Singer treadle machine, another treadle I bought and restored a long time ago, 2 regular sewing machines and a serger.

@kazu Thinking of you today.

Today’s wine:

Inkarri 2019 Made with Organic Grapes Estate Bottled

Today’s wine selection comes from Mendoza, Argentina. As is fitting, it is a Malbec. Wine Enthusiast ranked it as #7 in the Top 100 Best Buys 2021. I found it online for $15, and will look for it locally.

Blueberry, cardamom and floral aromas are distinct on the nose and offer much more complexity than the average value-priced Argentine Malbec. A solidly built palate is balanced by juicy acidity, while this tastes of snappy currant and plum along with desert herbs. A fresh, popping finish lasts a while due to bright acidity. Drink through 2023. MICHAEL SCHACHNER

Have a great day everyone!

FAFAEAFD-0434-4C69-8D9E-D5F661CB311E.jpeg.226dbc51b580aa5de8f72e425e55512c.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Dailyites, thanks for the Daily News!  I'll be thinking of Jacqui, @kazu, too, today, and hoping Jose's Celebration of Life goes well.    I remember my aunt, who had many friends go before her, saying after one do, "oh, how she would have enjoyed it!"  

My aunt's house was right across the street from the entrance to the grounds of Government House here, and one time when the Queen  and Prince Philip were coming for a visit and were going to stay at Government House, she organized a tea party out on the front lawn, and when the motorcade came by, we all stood and waved.  I also had a huge amount of royal "stuff" which I lugged around the world with us.  One time when we were in PEI we stayed at a B&B where the landlady had one room given over to a "museum" of all the royal memorabilia she had collected, and after we got home I sent her a large box of my collection.  I wonder if it is still there...

We are set to travel.  I just got a telephone message from HAL (never had that before) reminding that we needed vaccinations and tests.  Now the only worry will be that the ferry must sail!  Pat is looking for his air tag, and he had a big nose bleed last night, so has to remember to take lots of vaseline.  More laundry!

I noticed on Colin's thread that Bucatini Crab Carbonara is on the menu tonight.  That would be yummy!  Hope we get it on our cruise....

• Like 21

Good afternoon from mostly sunny central Texas. Right now, we're watching the Texas v Alabama game.  No offense to any Alabama fans here, but Go HORNS!  🤘 HOOK EM 🤘  It’s going to be an interesting game.

A few minutes ago, I checked the weather forecast for St. John.  It is sunny and in the low to mid 70sF with about an 8mph wind, so it is a good day for Jose's celebration of life.  @kazu Jacqui, our thoughts and best wishes are with you today as your friends gather to remember and celebrate a life well lived.

Chinese Moon Festival is an interesting day to celebrate.  @marshhawk   Annie, thank you for the explanation.  I have a fancy sewing machine here that can do more than I'm capable of doing, and a basic one in Quartzsite that is also above my abilities.  At least, both can do simple stitches so I can mend things.  Swapping ideas is a daily occurrence here.

Today's quote is interesting, but puzzling.  The meal looks good, but I would use spinach.  We'll pass on the drink.  The wine looks good.

We have not been to New Caledonia, bur hopefully we will get there sometime.

@ottahand7  Safe travels tomorrow.

@cunnorl  Charlene, that's good news that your DH and DD did not have a reaction to the booster.  I hope you fare as well with your booster today.

@dfish  Debbie, you've gotten a lot done, and I hope the water leak fix is quick and easy.  The counter offer is a good sign, and I hope they accept your new offer.

@ger_77  Gerry, I know yesterday was hard on both of you,  but I know the family appreciated your being there to officate at Melodie's service and celebration of life.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, having a more home like space where you can relax and don't have to go out for meals should make things a liitle easier to handle.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn. Please thank your DD and DSIL for going on the MS bike ride for me.  My mother had the worse form of MS.  Thanks to efforts of all who raise awareness and funds, there have been great strides in treatments for this terrible disease in the last 50 years.  I hope the smoke and humidity don't cause them problems.

@TiogaCruiser  I'm glad southern California got some much needed rain.  I hope the storm doesn't caause much damage.

@summer slope  Good news that you didn't have any side effects from the booster.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I hope the ferry not only runs tomorrow, but it is on time.  BON VOYAGE and have a wonderful cruise.

@lindaler  Linda, have a safe, on time flight and a wonderful cruise.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope you and Chuck have a lovely anniversary dinner.  Safe travels tomorrow, and BON VOYAGE on Monday.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good morning, all.  I didn't post yesterday but wanted to share a memory from the Queen's life.  Growing up in Port Huron, Michigan, we were just across the border from Sarnia, Ontario, and my fathers side immigrated from Canada in 1900. My Grandparents maintained their Canadian citizenship.  When my own parents found out that HMY Britannia would be passing up the St Clair River, after a brief stop in Sarnia with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Philip aboard, 

we had to watch it pass.  That was July 1959.  I was not overly excited to see someone's yacht sail by as the river had many of them in July.  However, when they impressed me with the fact it was just not another wealthy owners yacht, it was The Queen's yacht all the way from England, I was ready!  When it came into view, I think it seemed more like a large cargo ship than a yacht.  Much more than a yacht, more like a real cruise ship.

I sadly never got to see her in person but did see Philip in the trooping of the colors in London in 2003, when I first went to Europe and cruised aboard the old Noordam.  We docked in Dover and did the London excursion as long day trip.  I was impressed. 

britannia_re_rnc_02.jpg

rmy_britannia_01.jpg

My family was on vacation in July of 1959 and just happened to be in either Quebec City or Ottawa when The Queen visited.  We waited along the route of her motorcade and I, as a 12-year old girl, became a certified Anglophile.  I continued to admire her for the rest of her life.  In adulthood I have seen Presidents and had a lengthy conversation with Neil Armstrong (whose brother I worked for); but there was just something special for this little girl from Indiana to see the Queen of England!

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn. Please thank your DD and DSIL for going on the MS bike ride for me.  My mother had the worse form of MS.  Thanks to efforts of all who raise awareness and funds, there have been great strides in treatments for this terrible disease in the last 50 years.  I hope the smoke and humidity don't cause them problems.

Lenda I will and I'm so sorry your mother had the worst form. 😞  This disease can affect people so differently, we just never know.  DH's sister had a bad form, so did my great-uncle and a cousin.  My niece has a mild form thank goodness.  Part of that could be the new treatments, as hers is the most recent.

DGS and I have finished making his new GAK (oh how much easier it is to have one boy vs both at once)  😉  He requested aqua with glitter this time and is very pleased with how it turned out.

Getting just the right color.

775187467_ShepmakingGAK.thumb.jpg.7d1357a78a124387be6e2bd4a5ea9e58.jpg

All done!

899989664_finishedGAK.thumb.jpg.078fb9324ee30c9f1738c1f9c091e0e7.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all! (still a few minutes of morning left here 🌅)

So many nice photos posted already- I grew up in Michigan with Canadian great-grandparents, and while I’m not an Anglophile per se I have a certain affection for the whole process underway.

Also got inspired by @dfish’s recipe post and now I’m in the kitchen making sardine bucatini for lunch 🐟

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A salute to the Chinese Moon festival. Sewing machines are important, although I just do basic stuff with mine. Just had to fix the rod panel on my bedroom lace curtains after washing them. I have my DM's fancy one in its own cabinet and her very old Singer Featherweight machine. Swapping ideas is good and we do some of that here on the Daily. 

Odd quote. I like the meal with sausage and peppers, altho carby and the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Tadine. Looking forward to any photos.

It's mid-70's and sunny here. Maybe rain later and tomorrow morning. I managed to get the lawn mowed as the sun was going down yesterday. So today is laundry and a bit of relaxation.

My friends in England who visit every year (except the last 2 years) to watch our NHL team (Penguins) have over the years sent me memorabilia of Royal events. I'll have to take a look at my collection.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear you got much nicer accommodations while your house is being fixed.

@kazu Thinking of you today as you have Jose's Celebration of Life.

@aliaschief Sorry to hear of the foot pain; when I had a stress fracture I could barely put weight on it (I got it walking about 12 miles in NYC). I hope you get the dishwasher installed soon.

@marshhawk Thanks for the info about the Chinese Moon festival. 

@dfish Fingers and toes crossed for you getting that house! 

@ger_77 Wish we had that curbside swap here. Usually I just put things out in my alley, in front of my garage, and they're gone in a day or two. Understandable that the service for Melodie was so hard for you; I'm sure the family was grateful for you and DH for doing it.

@smitty34877 Congrats to Tana's son on making the JV football team!

@Vict0riann Have a great cruise.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, fieldsofclover said:

Good morning all! (still a few minutes of morning left here 🌅)

So many nice photos posted already- I grew up in Michigan with Canadian great-grandparents, and while I’m not an Anglophile per se I have a certain affection for the whole process underway.

Also got inspired by @dfish’s recipe post and now I’m in the kitchen making sardine bucatini for lunch 🐟

Welcome from England UK.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

Her Majesty the Queen's State funeral is on Monday September 19th at 11am UK time at Westminster Cathedral.

It has been deemed a bank holiday so we can all watch her funeral.

Graham.

I plan to watch. I have always had great respect for her dedication to her country, her faith, and her family. And she & my sister share the same birthday, April 21 - gotta love her!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The UT v Alabama gwme was a very interesting game.  Unfortunately, it did end as we would have liked.  Alabama kicked a field goal at the end.  UT got the ball with 10 seconds on the clock.  Even with two good plays, they could not score, and lost 20-19.  While we lost, it was a good game with a team not ranked in the top 25 to hold the number one team to a one point win is not bad, especially, since UT was a 20 point underdog.  We even lead the game for quite a while.

@smitty34877  Terry, congratulations to the teenager for making the JV team.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, thank you.  Yes, MS can take many forms.  My next door neighbor, who I grew up with, was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago.  Her stepdaughter and her son have also had the same diagnosis since then.  So far, they are still able to lead normal lives.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. It is a beautiful day here in SW Ontario. I've had a(nother) lazy day, after not feeling the best yesterday. I appreciate all the sharing and caring that goes on in this thread, even if I don't always reply. Thinking of you today @kazu

Prayers for those that need them, whether they know it or not, and blessings to all.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Dismomx5 said:

Good afternoon. It is a beautiful day here in SW Ontario. I've had a(nother) lazy day, after not feeling the best yesterday. I appreciate all the sharing and caring that goes on in this thread, even if I don't always reply. Thinking of you today @kazu

Prayers for those that need them, whether they know it or not, and blessings to all.

Sorry to hear you were unwell yesterday.

Hopefully you are feeling a lot better today after having a restful day.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good Afternoon Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good @dfish the sausage and peppers dish sounded especially good.  Work has been especially busy this past week and next week will be the same.  There are a lot of requirements that need to be met by 10/6 and my customers are dragging their heals.  I’ve had a few “come to Jesus” talks with a few and plan some more next week.

This weekend is a town holiday of sorts.  Last night there were fireworks at the junior high and we got to watch them out our front door.  Most of the cats went into hiding for a few hours.  Today the center of town is blocked off and local vendors have stands harking their service or product.  There was lots of food and rides for kids.  A nice way to get some fresh air.

I continued with some drought clean up and clipped out a lot of dead branches I the holly bushes, one didn’t make it.  The stump remains for another day.  Hopefully I’ll have the energy to do some more cleanup tomorrow morning.

On FB someone is reporting that 5* mariners are not getting their free dinners on a B2B.  I’m hoping that is a misunderstanding since we were able to do this in July.  I hope someone here can report back on their experience.

I hope everyone has a nice rest of the day.

image.png.5b2f0abc41a7f610c88e3221832f5952.png

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@lindaler  Linda, have a safe, on time flight and a wonderful cruise.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope you and Chuck have a lovely anniversary dinner.  Safe travels tomorrow, and BON VOYAGE on Monday.

Lenda

Thank you, I am a little nervous about flying on 9/11. And seven hours from here to Seattle. But very excited to have a sisters vacation. All our tests are done and vacs uploaded to ArriveCan and Verifly so I am ready to roll at 5am tomorrow. 

• Like 18

It has been a very long time since I have posted on the daily.  I have tried to keep up with all the news.  August was very busy for us helping with the grands.  Now that school has started that will slow down a bit but we will still help when there is early realize of Wednesdays and of course go to as many soccer and track meets as we can.  
thinking of you today, Jacque as you celebrate. Jose.  
We are on the Oregon coast and not near any of the fires  in The willamette valley but are getting g a good share of the smile and heat from the east wind.  Praying for all those affected here in the Pacific Northwest. 
Looking forward to getting on more often again.  Missed all the news.  Cheers to all celebrating and prayers for the care list.  Happy travels to those sailing soon. 

Mary

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2