The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 4th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning from central Texas where it is currently 57F,  but warming to 86F this afternoon.  It will definitely be a more pleasant day for shopping in Waco than it was in the heat of summer.

Wishimg our Jewish friends a good Yom Kippur.

My golf skills proved to be non-existent.  Since I don't drink coffee, I'll skip frappe day, but will definitely celebrate World Animal Day. 

Another interesting qoute today. 

I'm not sure about the meal, and we'll pass on the drink and wine.

We have not been to Brisbane yet.  It was the first port on our canceled.world cruise this year.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, thank you for the pictures.

@richwmn  Rich, have a safe flight tomorrow.

@aliaschief  Bruce, good to see you both will be getting your third booster.

@kazu Jacqui, you've been very busy.  Hope you get the large planters finished.

@smitty34877  Terry, I sorry everyone has not been feeling well, am thankful everyone is testing negative.  Hope all are better soon.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Debbie for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 25

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today is another cool and breezy day, some rain is in the forecast.  Today’s drink sounds really good thank you @summer slope.  I have no idea on the meal suggestion so will wait for @dfish.   I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.64d93d2ae5ecbc6eedd87f5e3ba8bd5f.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 9

Good morning, everyone.  

Another day of packing for a move and a cruise.  I'm really excited about the cruise now.  It makes it hard to sleep because I keep thinking about being on board a BHB.   In time, in time.  

I love today's meal.   

Çöp Şiş (pronounced 'chop shish') is a type of lamb shish kebab eaten throughout Anatolia in Turkey.

The etymology of the name is uncertain, though 'Çöp' means garbage or rubbish in modern Turkish, and may have come from the word meaning 'chaff', the stalk of wheat removed during winnowing. It has also been suggested that they are so called because the meat used is the smaller scraps of meat that are not used for other types of kebab.

Çöp şiş is generally cooked on wooden skewers rather than iron ones. During preparation, the lamb meat and pieces of fat are mixed with garlic and tomato and left to marinate with black pepper, oregano and olive oil, before cooking over an ocak, or grill.

It is usually served with grilled peppers and onion, with bread as an option to wrap the lamb and vegetables inside.

2138084236_copsis1.jpg.68844d7e9516fab6caad2ef897f9f6b7.jpg

I remember my dad making Shish Kebab when I was a kid.  We had it with grilled tomato, onion, pepper, and mushrooms.  The vegetables were more popular in our family than the meat and we had twice as many veggies as meat chunks.  

The first recipe is a simple one that comes with pictures to guide us.  https://ye-mek.net/recipe/turkish-chop-shish-kebab-recipe

2133791739_copsis2.jpg.9c41bd026375bf88d91542b085fd3533.jpg

This recipe is a bit more complex, but I am sure it is worth it.  https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/real-turkish-shish-kebab/

601650170_copsis5.jpg.a878acfd16ad292577f5ddf2a7f0a8da.jpg

There are many types of turkish kebabs.  You can find the one you like best here:   https://goturkiye.com/blog/list-of-the-types-of-turkish-kebabs

1564163223_copsis6.jpg.85e7e9b4d256053ac277d477660c579d.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Safe travels to @richwmn.  

@JazzyV

1917082280_HappyBirthday1.thumb.jpeg.413e3ca974c21d2daa53369e2fbda75f.jpeg

@Cruzin Terri

7cdcffcb63097ea3e9f629bf99578a0b.jpg.79424d09cabe170b14a6be28cb9ae1a0.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

When we moved from the best coast (west coast) to Maine in July of 1980, I learned the hard way not to order a milkshake. Expecting a thick cold beverage with chocolate flavor, I was quite disappointed to only find it to be frothy chocolate milk. When I finally realized I should have ordered a frappe, the waitress then asked if I wanted whipped cream and 'jimmies' on top.

I thought we had left the country and had to learn a new language and culture. An 'elastic', we found out, was a rubber-band. "Con" is a yellow vegetable that looks like corn. You "pawk the caw in garraawge".

Bowling was so different; you got to bowl three balls instead of two to get a spare, the pins knocked over on the first or second ball just stayed laying where they fell, no pin sweeper came down until after the third ball, the balls weren't really bowling balls--they resembled a slightly oversized croquet ball, sometimes you could knock pins over with a gutter-ball if there was a pin (or stick) laying in the gutter.

Now that we are back on the best coast it would be wrong to order a frappe; you most likely would end up with some sort of coffee beverage, and I don't like coffee.

Interesting that you had Duckpins in Maine.  They have something of a spread on the East Coast, both Maine and Maryland (we have both Duckpin and Tenpin) but I never saw them in upstate New York.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a fright and sunny day at the beach

A very blessed Yom Kippur to all our Jewish friends.

I will celebrate golf day as it is one of my favorite past times.  Frappes are wonderful and as a former New Englander I fully understand what they are.

Brisbane is a scheduled port for us so thank you for the wonderful pictures. We are planning on going to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.

My eye doctor called last nite and I am getting my shot this afternoon. Different office because they still have flooding. Even though my eye is doing well, I was nervous about going so long without the shot. 

So my nail appointment is switched to tomorrow morning. Then we leave tomorrow nite!   

@JazzyV A very Happy Birthday to you!

@Cruzin Terri A very Happy Anniversary to the both of you. 

Stay and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 29

Happy Yom Kippur to our friends who are members of the Jewish faith.   Rich thanks for the Daily Fleet and Days reports!  Safe travels tomorrow!    @StLouisCruisers your photos of Brisbane celebrated today's port and many images for world animal day.  It looked like it was a wonderful couple of visits.

I will pass on the Lamb but the cocktail and Nobilo SB are good choices on a BHB.   When we have a drink package DF uses most of his 15 beverages on Nobilo.    

Today I have to divide a massive Philodendron.  It actually has a couple of trunks.  My sis ter moves it outdoors when we are gone for the summer and this year it just exploded.   Not a task I am looking forward to.     Then it will be cutting back brambles that are blocking our propane tank access and snags John when he mows the lawn.  There is also poison ivy that needs to be sprayed.  A warm beautiful day to do it!  

Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  So many on the future cruise list which is wonderful!   In honor of world animal day a Barbary Ape in Gibraltar.   

alpha male ape 92418.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  G'mar chatimah tova to everyone who observes Yom Kippur.  We don't golf; my dad used to enjoy a round once in a while when he wasn't working or farming or taking care of the family.  Our DDIL enjoys a vanilla frappe from Starbucks - I had a sip once and they are de-licious ! ! !  Yay for all the animals in the world, may we protect and respect them.  Except for the slimy, slithery, creepy crawly ones.  

Heading out in a couple of hours for breakfast with some retired colleagues.  It's great getting together just to see how everyone is doing and what's going on in their lives.  We all missed the gatherings during the pandemic and are fortunate to not have lost any from the group because of of Covid.  After that, I've asked DH to remove the glass from both fireplaces so I can clean them and get them ready for another season.  It's nice to see the fire rather than looking through smoke and soot to see the flames.  

@Cruzin Terriwishing you and your DH a very Happy Anniversary!

@JazzyVHappy Birthday to you with many healthy returns of the day!

@richwmn and @cunnorlsafe travels to both of you for tomorrow!

Although it's still going to be nice today with a predicted high of +24c (75F), the temp is expected to dip way down overnight to 0 and only a high of +13, so I think although I'd love today's menu suggestion (DH doesn't care for lamb), I'll bring out a couple of chicken breasts and turn them into chicken kabobs for us.  I think chicken kabobs and a Greek salad will make a nice dinner for us to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers to all the celebrants.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 36

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. It’s raining and 45 degrees here. We have the remnants of Ian.

I will be observing Yom Kippur tomorrow and since it is a very solemn day i won’t be posting. The day is spent in synagogue or as I will be doing, watching services remotely. The object of the day is to repent for our sins committed during the year and to ask for forgiveness from anyone we may have wronged. We wish each other an easy fast . Fasting is supposed to help us concentrate on the solemnity of the day. We are asking God to inscribe us in the book of life for the coming year.
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

G'mar Chatimah Tovah.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  

I love the quote.  When you go places that are about to do a prayer, and the leader says, let us have a moment of silence....if the moment of silence is less time than saying "lets have a moment of silence," then I know that the person is not comfortable in their shoes.  OK, I know that sounds weird, but being able to be quiet means that you are OK with yourself.  DH always talks to himself.  He says he is just asking for professional opinion.

Sounds like half of the dailies will be on the same cruise.   I hope you all have a wonderful time.

News update of our friend Jesse.  He got approved for the proton radiation therapy (the kind DH had).  Because it is so centralized,  they build a mask of mesh that forms to the face, and mark the spot that needs the treatment, and then they have you lie down, 30 minutes a day for 30 days (except Saturday and Sunday) and they blast the area.  Jesse  freaked out, and ran out before they could start the treatment.  Totally claustrophobic.  Rationalizing with him about the fact that this was so much better than injecting radiation didnt work.  giving him sedatives didn't work.  But he bucked up and went back, and asked if they could cut out the eye area, and the doctors approved that, and he had his first proton radiation treatment yesterday.  We were down there yesterday too, but it was a follow up.  His wife called us last night, and she was so happy that they could accommodate him and address his fears.

Since this is going to take a while,  I think at this time we can put him on the rotation list @rafinmd.

My new meds...I didn't get.  $579.00.  Nope.  Now to let the doc know I cant afford them and she can apply for some type of grant to get them for me.  There is no generic, and I don't want to use a needle.

My fear.

0814c401eeb0f6f3f30676355bc217ef.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Did you ever encounter a “bubblah”?

No! Thanks for that. Even in New England it seems like each state or area has their own words and culture, different from each other. New England is the melting pot that never got stirred. We had friends in their 60's and 70's that had never ventured outside of the state. New Hampshire was only about 30 minutes away.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Interesting that you had Duckpins in Maine.  They have something of a spread on the East Coast, both Maine and Maryland (we have both Duckpin and Tenpin) but I never saw them in upstate New York.

Roy

I never did see Duckpin but would love to experience that. Maine had Candlepin and Tenpin. Nobody has ever bowled a 300 game in Candlepin. I have(had) a couple of uncles that bowl 300 games often in competition with Tenpin Bowling.

The balls in Candlepin are even smaller than the balls in Duckpin, but like Duckpin balls, they do not have any holes for fingers or thumbs.

candlepin.jpg.094bf5ea75a84143dc857ecde9f57e9d.jpg  bowling.jpg.d9dbb27061ffc5208e49ad2341e04a15.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1