The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 4th, 2022

richwmn

6 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Even in New England it seems like each state or area has their own words and culture, different from each other. New England is the melting pot that never got stirred. We had friends in their 60's and 70's that had never ventured outside of the state. New Hampshire was only about 30 minutes away.

When I lived in eastern Connecticut, people spoke about journeying to the next town as if it were a polar expedition, even though from some places the next town was just across the street. Connecticut isn't a very large state, but it consists of 169 separate towns and a few small cities, all of which act as if they don't have even a language in common with any of the others.

I'm from northeastern Ohio, which has its own language peculiarities. What do you call the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street? Is there even a name for it? And I lived for a while in southeastern Ohio, where I was perplexed when given a recipe that said to fry up a mango in some oil.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm from northeastern Ohio, which has its own language peculiarities. What do you call the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street? Is there even a name for it?

In this part of the world, we call that the "median". 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I've never golfed or had a Frappe.  Not fond of sugary coffee.  But I do salute Animal Day. The quote is a good one, and I've had Nobillo many times on BHBs.  The meal sounds wonderful, and I'd probably like the drink.  Another Australian port that I hopefully will get to on the Grand Australia.

Today will be another day of getting things done before flying to Quebec City on Friday. We're having lovely early fall weather, around 70 every day (but no rain in sight).

Rich @richwmnand Charlene @cunnorlsafe travels, see you on Saturday!

Vanessa @JazzyVa Very Happy Birthday to you!

Terri @Cruzin TerriHappy 41st Anniversary!

Terry @smitty34877I'm sorry you're all feeling sick, but glad you're all testing negative.  Hope you feel better soon.

@kochleffelhere we call that area the parking strip.

Gerry @ger_77what do you use to clean the glass on your fireplace?  I've used car polish with good success in the past (it's time to do ours).  Getting that glass on and off is the worst part.

Happy Yom Kippur to all our Jewish friends!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks for the Yom Kippur greetings. My only role in the services is tomorrow, as one of the readers for a long segment of the liturgy that I wrote, sort of a virtual reenactment of the Temple ritual for Yom Kippur (without the live animals). This is a traditional reading for the afternoon, which I've made shorter and interactive. Another traditional reading then is a martyrology, recalling Jewish martyrs from the Roman period and the Middle Ages, up to the recent past. My congregation doesn't read that.

I'll pass on the meal and the cocktail, but would like the wine. In the alternative meal, I'd like the veal but would have to skip the soup and the ricotta tart.

We're having rain from the Ian-derived nor'easter, even though we're 180 miles inland.

One my aunts, born in 1907, remembered duckpin bowling, but I'm not sure where she saw it.

298663664_ratcaf.jpg.c11f838114c200b3ed13ccaf4db5cd4a.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 4

@kochleffel is "Happy Yom Kippur appropriate to the solemnity of the occasion or is there something else?  I do not know of a local name for the space between the sidewalk and the street.  In my area the median is the space between lanes on a divided highway.

@HAL4NOW those are tiny balls.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone.

First of all i wish to thank all of you for the lovely anniversary wishes.

So far it has been a quiet day.  I think we are still quite tired from all the traveling yesterday.

Jim is taking a nap and I have been trying to post, but I have had a few interruptions this morning.

Hopefully they are over.

i have yet to get to the beach.  The one disappointment we do have is that we did not get a beachfront cottage.  I guess those are reserved for the repeat guests.  Since we have not been back here for quite a few years, we don’t count as such.

We do have our own private plunge pool though and our accommodations are lovely.

I want to wish all our friends of the Jewish faith a Happy and Blessed Yom Kippur.

As I write this, I realize that my little trek to the beach will have to be put on hold.  We are having a rain storm.  A pretty hard rain right now.  So i am happy right where I am.  

I hope everyone has a good day.  I will try to post again later.  Hopefully with some pictures.  Will have to hold off right now.

Take care and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25

Good morning and thanks all!  Happy Yom Kippur! 
happy anniversary Terri! 
Happy birthday  Vanessa! 
We call the area between  the street and sidewalk the boulevard, and an area in the middle between the street a median.  
@smitty34877 sorry to hear your family is unwell.   I have read that the tests don’t pick up this version of omicrom  as well.  Get better soon I hope! 

I can’t recall who asked but the captain on the Volendam is Captain Ryan Whittaker from Britain. 

66896FB8-CED8-403D-B127-C4310D3B8C22.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, Dailyites,  Happy Birthday, @JazzyV  and Happy Anniversary @Cruzin Terri.  Also, wishing a good Yom Kippur to our Jewish Dailyites!

All is quiet here, we enjoy the Nobilo wine often, Pat laughs when I say I prefer an odd year to an even year (in any wine, I'm not sure why, I just do).  We have visited Brisbane, but it was to see friends, and we didn't do much touring.

View of Brisbane from our friends' home

CIMG1829.thumb.JPG.06dc1bbe2499ace91fa6327aa2a8f072.JPG

Sad about Loretta Lynn, the "coalminers daughter".  

Pat is getting very frustrated, testing positive every day.  I am trying to get him to rest, sleep it off.  He would like to be out golfing, having a coffee at Timmie's etc.  I'm just as happy staying home.  We did go for a walk yesterday, with masks in our pockets in case we saw someone, but just checked the mail.  DD has started coming upstairs during the night to do her laundry.  I would imagine we are not infectious, but we want to be careful.  I've got some overripe bananas, so I want to make banana bread today.  I think we will have lamb tonight, just not kebabs.  The weather continues to be unusual for this time of year, we are still very dry and sunny, around 20 all week.  We really need rain.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

is "Happy Yom Kippur appropriate to the solemnity of the occasion or is there something else? 

"A good Yom Kippur" would be better, I think, because the overall mood is sad. (The happy part comes at the end.) The Hebrew phrase is "[g'mar] chatimah tovah" (ch as in Scots loch or German ach, or the Greek letter X), which means "a good sealing," or "g'mar tov." This refers to a part of the liturgy that reads, "On Rosh Hashanah it [the judgment ]is written and on Yom Kippur it is sealed, who shall live and who shall die."

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

What do you call the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street? Is there even a name for it?

Road Verge, according to Wikipedia.

Some other regional names: Devil Strip, Besidewalk, Nature Strip, Government Grass, Yard Sample, Neutral Ground, Sidewalk Buffer, and Furniture Zone.

The Furniture Zone is more for street furnishings, like phone boxes, streetlamps, etc., but when I heard that term, I thought about yard sales. Of course, in Maine, you wouldn't have a yard sale; it would be a Tag Sale.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Road Verge, according to Wikipedia.

Some other regional names: Devil Strip, Besidewalk, Nature Strip, Government Grass, Yard Sample, Neutral Ground, Sidewalk Buffer, and Furniture Zone.

In part of the South the term is "parkway," but here that would denote a similar strip running down the center of a wide street. In northeastern Ohio, and nowhere else, it's called the tree lawn. This is a location-specific marker in studies of regional American English. The term most widely understood, although not coming naturally to anyone, seems to be "curb lawn."

2 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

The Furniture Zone is more for street furnishings, like phone boxes, streetlamps, etc., but when I heard that term, I thought about yard sales.

Here, it's where people put furniture that they want to give away, and most of the time, it goes away.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from the airport!  We are awaiting boarding our flight to Chicago. Sitting at the bar having my mandatory pre flight Bloody Mary. 

E45BFFD2-7D7B-4052-9646-E0B3F43D9A20.thumb.jpeg.e0f2e698a606f175cba7e160ddb94715.jpeg

But why do people feel the need to make phone calls while sitting here????  

I cracked up at the quote. I talk much more when nervous, anxious or excited. Like now!  So, Craig is trying to read and all I want to do is talk. 

Happy Birthday Vanessa!!  @JazzyV 🎈🎈🎈

Happy Anniversary Terri and DH!! @Cruzin Terri!!  🍾🥂💕 Enjoy your travels. 

Craig has done a countdown calendar and taped it up in our family room. He started on day 10. This was today’s:

81F30A43-7F1A-4CAD-92D3-6FE8E57D8620.thumb.jpeg.7f350ce43a23fc8ba1c21858b8c764ea.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

A note for tomorrow's daily.

For my flight to Montreal I need to get to America's favorite airport at 7am. I should be able to post the daily around 8, but most likely without a map.

safe travels. enjoy.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

"A good Yom Kippur" would be better, I think, because the overall mood is sad. (The happy part comes at the end.) The Hebrew phrase is "[g'mar] chatimah tovah" (ch as in Scots loch or German ach, or the Greek letter X), which means "a good sealing," or "g'mar tov." This refers to a part of the liturgy that reads, "On Rosh Hashanah it [the judgment ]is written and on Yom Kippur it is sealed, who shall live and who shall die."

Apologies as I did a Happy Yom Kippur.  The effort was well intended though. 😞 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Happy Yom Kippur! 
happy anniversary Terri! 
Happy birthday  Vanessa! 
We call the area between  the street and sidewalk the boulevard, and an area in the middle between the street a median.  
@smitty34877 sorry to hear your family is unwell.   I have read that the tests don’t pick up this version of omicrom  as well.  Get better soon I hope! 

I can’t recall who asked but the captain on the Volendam is Captain Ryan Whittaker from Britain. 

66896FB8-CED8-403D-B127-C4310D3B8C22.jpeg

It was me who wanted to know the captain. Thank you. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning from the airport!  We are awaiting boarding our flight to Chicago. Sitting at the bar having my mandatory pre flight Bloody Mary. 

E45BFFD2-7D7B-4052-9646-E0B3F43D9A20.thumb.jpeg.e0f2e698a606f175cba7e160ddb94715.jpeg

But why do people feel the need to make phone calls while sitting here????  

I cracked up at the quote. I talk much more when nervous, anxious or excited. Like now!  So, Craig is trying to read and all I want to do is talk. 

Happy Birthday Vanessa!!  @JazzyV 🎈🎈🎈

Happy Anniversary Terri and DH!! @Cruzin Terri!!  🍾🥂💕 Enjoy your travels. 

Craig has done a countdown calendar and taped it up in our family room. He started on day 10. This was today’s:

81F30A43-7F1A-4CAD-92D3-6FE8E57D8620.thumb.jpeg.7f350ce43a23fc8ba1c21858b8c764ea.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

I hope you both have a nice flight and an amazing cruise.

It looks like several Dailyites are on the same cruise so I'm sure you will all have a fantastic time.

Graham.

• Like 12

I know it's late in the day but I had a ton of chores to do.

Hello Dailyites. Prayers lifted early this morning. I'm loving our celebration list! Bon Voyage to our Daily family.

image.png.d0b6494a794cc254fc0ab1a2ce75ecfa.png

I was able to save $1000 on the HAL gift card sale! It must have been a lucky purchase because we got a call from our PCC and she found a perfect accessible veranda for us. Someone must have cancelled,  so our lucky day!

I would need to have Debbie's recipe for lunch and Roy's alternative for dinner.

I am with Gerry. I love all creatures except the slithery, slimy ones. 

image.png.c60dc027bfa99020e6ce66859ff9d5e1.png

Wishing you a wonderful day. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 2