• Fewer than 4 days
    • 4-6 days
    • 7 days (exactly)
    • 8-12 days
    • 13-16 days
    • Longer than 16 days
    • I don't remember... :-)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/25/2022 at 04:48 PM

For those who can't see the poll choices, they are - fewer than 4 days, 4-6 days, 7 days exactly, 8-12 days, 13-16 days, more than 16 days, and can't remember.

By the way, count all legs of a back-to-back, if any of you were ambitious enough to schedule one off the bat.

I'm curious about this, and I THINK I know what's going to come out on top even in this veteran group, but I'm willing to be surprised.

As always, thank you for replying.

• Like 1

First cruise I was 18 or 19 and went with my parents and little sister.  Dad had been a Navy Lt and missed the ocean.  Mom got seasick looking at pictures of ships/boats.  3 day LA-Ensenda on Princess.  As you can imagine this was NOT the cruise that made my mom a cruise fanatic, but it made me one.

• Like 1

Our first was a week on the QM2 to persuade DH that a cruise was more relaxing and enjoyable than his years on a destroyer. And to determine if I could enjoy cruising despite chronic motion sickness. And we both loved it.

• Like 1

August 1972, Ten day R/T NYC to San Juan, St Thomas, Martinique, St Maarten.  Homes Lines Homeric.  Ship was late coming into NYC to get us, as there had been a hurricane thru NJ the night before.  They anticipated rough seas, so came around closing the dead lights on the portholes.  I got seasick the first night.  No warning, just started throwing up.  Was fine the next morning.  Great cruise.  EM

• Like 3

I don't remember honestly. I know it was waaay back in 1985 and I had gotten divorced. I decided to take a cruise but really don't recall if it was a week or a long weekend. Probably the latter.

Now, When I really started cruising on a regular basis, multiple times a year? That was in 2003 and it was 7 nights on Celebrity's CENTURY and she got me hooked😀

• Like 1

I didn't consider my first cruise experience on a Great Lakes passenger ship a 3 night/4 day cruise.  

My first ocean cruise was an 11 day Caribbean cruise from New York to Bermuda, San Juan, St. Marteen, St. Lucia, and St. Barts in July, 1970 aboard Rotterdam V.  

• Like 2

Our first cruise took place in April 2010 on the Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas. It was a 5 day in the Bahamas. Maybe because of the age and state of the ship it left us feeling we could care less if we went on another cruise anytime soon. Friends of ours talked us into joining them on the Allure of the Seas less than year later in January 2011 for a 7 day cruise. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though it was a sold out sailing what amazed us was that with the size of the ship you did not run into 5500 people! Always found areas on the boat that we had to ourselves, the solarium was a great place to hang out.

Our balcony stateroom was so nice and the balcony spacious. Although we have done different cruises with different cruise lines since we still agree the Allure is still our favorite ship.

Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Our first cruise was a 7 day Alaska cruise.

So was ours --- rained the whole time & my back went out --- vowed never again but a few years later did a Mexican Riviera cruise & changed my mind....next up is a 35 day Hawaii/Marquesas cruise --- not sure how I'll like all the sea days --- I'm a port person.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I didn't consider my first cruise experience on a Great Lakes passenger ship a 3 night/4 day cruise.  

My first ocean cruise was an 11 day Caribbean cruise from New York to Bermuda, San Juan, St. Marteen, St. Lucia, and St. Barts in July, 1970 aboard Rotterdam V.  

Totally loved Rotterdam V that was my first and second 7 day cruise, totally elegant ship, love that it is currently a museum, would love to visit her , talked to on of the officers that had visited it. 

• Like 1

However long it takes to get from Capetown SA to Buenos Aires on the Marco Polo sailing for Orient Lines. It felt like forever with three seasick teetotaler companions and my back/pelvis "out". Just me and the Albatross circling our back deck. It's a wonder I ever cruised again.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

7 days girls trip wayyyy back in time.  We try NOT to cruise for less than 2 weeks and 3 weeks is our best fit now although Covid sort of made that harder initial post covid.  I am glad to see longer cruises now offered again, although I'd like to see more itineraries.

• Like 1

@Honolulu Blue  love your polls and threads.  They are a lot of fun 

mine was 7 days maximizing my vacation time from my home city port on Norwegian through the western Caribbean.  Sun, fun, lots of great nightlife and being young folks the youngest people on the ship.  It was October in the late 80s before cruising was a thing for 20 somethings

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, George C said:

Totally loved Rotterdam V that was my first and second 7 day cruise, totally elegant ship, love that it is currently a museum, would love to visit her , talked to on of the officers that had visited it. 

When I was in Rotterdam on the VOV aboard Rotterdam VI, the tour that I booked included a visit to the Rotterdam and a tour of part of the ship.  Brought back many, many memories, particularly when I sat

in a seat in the Ambassador Room where I had sat.  There was a table set up in the LaFontaine Dining Room at the location where one of the tables I occupied when I sailed aboard her (had three sailings on her).  

Part of the tour was a visit to the Bridge.  As you can imagine, quite dated now in comparison to the Bridges on the ships of today.

I'd encourage you to make the effort to visit the ship if you visit the Netherlands.  

• Like 1