The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 13th, 2022

richwmn

US Navy Birthday

Today is International Skeptics Day , International Suit Up Day, and Silly Sayings Day

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.--Albert Camus

Meal Suggestion for today - stuffed sweet potatoes with beans and guacamole
Drink of the Day - Jalape O Margarita
Wine of the Day - Domäne Wachau 2019 Ried Achleiten Smaragd Grüner
Destination of the Day - Malaga, Spain

Eurodam

San Diego, California 09:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Lahaina, Maui Island, Hawaii eta 10/14

Nieuw Amsterdam

Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera 10:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Sydney, Hova Scotia, Canada

Noordam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii eta 10/14

Oosterdam

Santorini Island, Thira, Greece 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Kiel, Germany 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Naples, Italy eta 10/14

Westerdam

At Sea

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal eta 10/18

Zuiderdam

Lahaina, Maui Island, Hawaii 07:00 - 18:00

1013World.thumb.png.68c6598c25ba864b9b3da949fb56a754.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.

It is sunny and 12°C here.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days including US Navy birthday.

Malaga is a lovely port and we have been there many times.

Our base is in Benalmadena about 15 miles away.

The photo is in Benalmadena Marina.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20220213_111717.jpg

• Like 30

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool, cloudy day for us.  Today's high is only 12°C (54°F).

A big salute to the US Navy. 

National Skeptics Day?  Is that real? 😉

I'm glad you "spilled the beans" on Silly Saying Day.😁 

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal but hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I've never been to Malaga, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.  A special prayer for the families of Const. Morgan Russell and Const. Devon Northrup, 2 police officers who were killed in the line of duty yesterday.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  Not quite sure about suit up day but I think of it in terms of donning fire gear.  Sometimes I'm a skeptic, and I think most of my silly sayings are unintentional.  I hope all ships play Eternal Father Strong to Save today.

It's warm here today but pretty much an all day rain, lighter in the morning and stormy in the afternoon, so I will likely try to get all my errands done this morning and hunker down after lunch.  I've been to Malaga twice, Celebrity Solstice in 2012, and Prinsendam in 2017.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Chicken Tikka, and Blackberry Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 13, 2017.

dishes13.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Const. Morgan Russell and Const. Devon Northrup LODD 10/12/22

RIP Heartgrove brother 10/11/22
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Quartzite Cruiser followup surgery 10/24
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday US NAvy
Kazu generous neighbor

Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Quartzite Cruiser DH back home
2 Days for Av8rix (Rotterdam 10/15 to 10/30)
Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15),   Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS  to 10/16)  Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25)
Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Added constables
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Hello Daily Community - I know it's been forever since I've been around.  Too many reasons to count, but categorized mostly as work and life in general.

The blessings are good health, stable job and family is well...especially my dear granddaughter Lana.  I'll get to hug her this weekend, and that makes me happy.

I'll try to catch up as best I can, and participate more.  This group still remains the best on the boards...

• Like 39
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Hello Daily Community - I know it's been forever since I've been around.  Too many reasons to count, but categorized mostly as work and life in general.

The blessings are good health, stable job and family is well...especially my dear granddaughter Lana.  I'll get to hug her this weekend, and that makes me happy.

I'll try to catch up as best I can, and participate more.  This group still remains the best on the boards...

Welcome back.

Roy

• Like 25

33 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool, cloudy day for us.  Today's high is only 12°C (54°F).

A big salute to the US Navy. 

National Skeptics Day?  Is that real? 😉

I'm glad you "spilled the beans" on Silly Saying Day.😁 

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal but hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I've never been to Malaga, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.  A special prayer for the families of Const. Morgan Russell and Const. Devon Northrup, 2 police officers who were killed in the line of duty yesterday.

Stay safe.

Condolences to the families of the 2 officers killed in the line of duty yesterday.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  Not quite sure about suit up day but I think of it in terms of donning fire gear.  Sometimes I'm a skeptic, and I think most of my silly sayings are unintentional.  I hope all ships play Eternal Father Strong to Save today.

It's warm here today but pretty much an all day rain, lighter in the morning and stormy in the afternoon, so I will likely try to get all my errands done this morning and hunker down after lunch.  I've been to Malaga twice, Celebrity Solstice in 2012, and Prinsendam in 2017.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Chicken Tikka, and Blackberry Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 13, 2017.

dishes13.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Const. Morgan Russell and Const. Devon Northrup LODD 10/12/22

RIP Heartgrove brother 10/11/22
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Quartzite Cruiser followup surgery 10/24
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday US NAvy
Kazu generous neighbor

Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Quartzite Cruiser DH back home
2 Days for Av8rix (Rotterdam 10/15 to 10/30)
Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15),   Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS  to 10/16)  Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25)
Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting updated lists every day Roy.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning.

Jape O Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
1/2 part JDK & Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
1 part Lime Juice
1/2 inch slice Jalapeno
Splash Orange Bitters
Splash Agave Nectar
Jalapeno Pepper

Instructions
Muddle jalapeño pepper slice in cocktail shaker. Add remaining ingredients and shake over ice. Strain and serve in margarita glass. Garnish with jalapeño pepper.

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 7.25.27 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good morning friends!  It's been thunderstorming this morning, temp at 62 but the rain will stop in the next hour and we will have sunshine later on.  High of 77.  I just saw Connie @msmayorposted and is doing well.  Thank goodness we've heard from one of our missing people.  Show us a photo of Lana if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Happy birthday to our U.S. Navy!  Once in a while I'm a skeptic.  Don't know what suit up day is, and try not to say silly things.  No thanks to the drink, wine or menu item.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the updated lists this morning.  Prayers already said for those on our list and my own personal list.  A shout out to all on the Celebration list, and it's a long one.  

The port today, Malaga Spain, is a very popular one with our Daily family.  Here's a link to the last time we celebrated it, July 19, 2021.  We had lots of photos that day and the Daily ended up 8 pages long.  Come on everybody share your experiences there as well as your photos.

I've been to fabulous Malaga three times and have a "few" photos of that scenic locality.  Our visits to Malaga took place in 2017 on Westerdam and in 2018 and 2019 on our beloved Prinsendam.  The first time I took a tour of the fortress with views of the city and the bullring.  You can see the bullring and the Westerdam in this photo from 2017.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwkjPNluuDElkFG77ON3il?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The next two visits were self-led walking tours and there is plenty to see, believe me!  One of the most vivid hued buildings is the Episcopal Palace.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEwz_r23HFnD5PiFcxuimL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This spot is called the Plaza del Obispo.  If you look to your right when standing in that same spot you see this, the Malaga Cathedral's side entrance.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVf5Do3vNxmFaVncjRhqDY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-LlhRM-2QYuxVw06sBFaI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Inside the Malaga Cathedral.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlMgGDZQBLJBU8wT7P5NSc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOBZfRW3pupB69oAylse6Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrzXxLaeSzLFC3T9lEG4Zj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTBGQR8ccp0HrTldan7Jug?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiAh5F_oKHSBcFWxI7S4Pf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpRQZfurHGAr3AeiwLilO8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

They mark everything quite well due to the amount of tourists they get here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKmZPSA_FLIItU6TujLxMV8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgjw3cvS-WLjEzNd-6pDph?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Since the 2017 visit was in August it was pretty hot, so we were relieved to see they covered the pedestrian street with sheer cloth-like overhangs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNxfeAWDWxEttR_3P4TyCm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A truly enjoyable city to visit.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, msmayor said:

It is lovely to hear from you and happily you and your family are well.

Graham.

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's been thunderstorming this morning, temp at 62 but the rain will stop in the next hour and we will have sunshine later on.  High of 77.  I just saw Connie @msmayorposted and is doing well.  Thank goodness we've heard from one of our missing people.  Show us a photo of Lana if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Happy birthday to our U.S. Navy!  Once in a while I'm a skeptic.  Don't know what suit up day is, and try not to say silly things.  No thanks to the drink, wine or menu item.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the updated lists this morning.  Prayers already said for those on our list and my own personal list.  A shout out to all on the Celebration list, and it's a long one.  

The port today, Malaga Spain, is a very popular one with our Daily family.  Here's a link to the last time we celebrated it, July 19, 2021.  We had lots of photos that day and the Daily ended up 8 pages long.  Come on everybody share your experiences there as well as your photos.

I've been to fabulous Malaga three times and have a "few" photos of that scenic locality.  Our visits to Malaga took place in 2017 on Westerdam and in 2018 and 2019 on our beloved Prinsendam.  The first time I took a tour of the fortress with views of the city and the bullring.  You can see the bullring and the Westerdam in this photo from 2017.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwkjPNluuDElkFG77ON3il?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The next two visits were self-led walking tours and there is plenty to see, believe me!  One of the most vivid hued buildings is the Episcopal Palace.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEwz_r23HFnD5PiFcxuimL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This spot is called the Plaza del Obispo.  If you look to your right when standing in that same spot you see this, the Malaga Cathedral's side entrance.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVf5Do3vNxmFaVncjRhqDY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-LlhRM-2QYuxVw06sBFaI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Inside the Malaga Cathedral.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlMgGDZQBLJBU8wT7P5NSc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOBZfRW3pupB69oAylse6Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrzXxLaeSzLFC3T9lEG4Zj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTBGQR8ccp0HrTldan7Jug?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiAh5F_oKHSBcFWxI7S4Pf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpRQZfurHGAr3AeiwLilO8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

They mark everything quite well due to the amount of tourists they get here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKmZPSA_FLIItU6TujLxMV8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgjw3cvS-WLjEzNd-6pDph?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Since the 2017 visit was in August it was pretty hot, so we were relieved to see they covered the pedestrian street with sheer cloth-like overhangs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNxfeAWDWxEttR_3P4TyCm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A truly enjoyable city to visit.

Lovely photos of a lovely city Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Stuffed sweet potatoes with beans and guacamole is a Mexican vegetarian entrée.  This is the third day in a row we have featured Mexican cuisine.

Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and antioxidants, which protect your body from free radical damage and promote a healthy gut and brain. They're also incredibly rich in beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A to support good vision and your immune system.

It is essential to bake your sweet potatoes for these recipes.  I often just put a few in when cooking something else in the oven.  Here’s some advice on how to bake them.  Preheat oven to 425º. On a lined baking sheet, ***** sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Bake until tender or until the skin has puffed up and you can easily pierce them with a fork about 45 to 50 minutes.

This recipe suggests black bean, bell pepper and corn filling piled in a baked sweet potato and topped with yogurt or sour cream, avocado, cilantro and fresh lime juice.  Feel free to leave out anything you don’t like.   https://runningonrealfood.com/guacamole-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

Overhead view of three sweet potatoes stuffed with black bean, corn and bell pepper and topped with sour cream, cilantro and avocado.

This recipe uses fresh ingredients like tomato, cilantro, corn and black beans. Stuffed into sweet potatoes and topped with an easy guacamole. Then drizzled with a citrusy vegan sour cream.

https://www.twospoons.ca/mexican-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

mexican-stuffed-sweet-potatoes-with-black-beans-vegan-gluten-free-easy-recipe-16.jpg

Since all the recipes were basically the same, I thought I’d add a few with a Middle Eastern flavor too. This recipe stuffs the sweet potatoes with chickpeas and tops them with creamy garlic hummus.   https://healthyhappylife.com/chickpea-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

chickpea-stuffed sweet potatoes

This recipe adds spinach and uses tahini as a topping.

https://www.lastingredient.com/chickpea-spinach-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

Chickpea Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Edited by 0106
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Good morning. It is already 60 and quite pleasant for dog walking once the sun comes up.My oldest DB was in the Navy and he had good memories  of his time there in spite of Vietnam. I will definitely  wish the navy  a Happy Birthday. My DH is our resident  skeptic..Please don't  give him a day!

I like the ingredients  in the menu offering,all very tasty.We have not been to Malaga.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I am so glad you are home now with DH and I hope he is feeling as well as can be expected. DD had cervical spine surgery with fusion and her recovery  was slow but steady. it has to be much less prolonged when the surgery itself is less invasive.Hugs to you both.

• Like 26

Good Morning! We received a little rain yesterday and presently, radar shows we may get some more in a few minutes! We enjoyed our dinner out last night and their portions are so large we will finish the leftovers tonight before our small group  @msmayor welcome back to the Daily.

Need to stick around the house this morning as it’s time for a quarterly pest control treatment. Always have a concern if the pesticide can kill a bug what effect does it have on us.

Have been to Malaga a couple of times and I believe we will visit there again next spring on our Azamara cruise.

Doing a little more packing today and not much else on the schedule. Have a great day and thanks for the report and care list.

Bruce

image.jpeg.98eb14e2f58e8f2f5fe9f7d7ec1f85f5.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Haha 10

thanks for the Thursday Daily, Rich.

Happy birthday to the U.S. Navy. I am trying not to turn into a skeptic so I won’t celebrate Skeptics Day.  Ditto on silly sayings - I’m trying to find good sayings like this one I got yesterday:

DA4E9351-5874-4F26-9EA2-08DCA0BDBB43.thumb.jpeg.bdb1b82b12af4a1ac5259b5b3c1820e6.jpeg

Really like today’s quote and I hope eventually, I find my invincible summer.  Love today’s port - I’ll take a look and see if I have some photos that aren’t duplicated.

Looks like we’ve got a bunch of rain coming so I did get the big pile of compost debris covered until we can get it in the truck (trip #2)

112453C6-7A79-46C2-8B78-5A234829D4E3.thumb.jpeg.e67f05775bedc3b5c5b1d44fd69cae13.jpeg

I have a bunch of debris on the deck trying to get it dry so it takes up less room and weighs less for my compost bags.

CDE2BC93-8C95-462F-8654-A3C79E2F495A.thumb.jpeg.f05c43418687d0e350f6d7f6993453e3.jpeg

I might have to forego drying them more but  I believe it will clear up in time for N Statendam’s arrival here 🤞 and the weather is quite warm for here and this time of year so hopefully the Daily - ites on the cruise will have an enjoyable time 🤞 

The garden is pretty bare other than a few things.  Mostly everything left is pretty in pink

2E4A1348-3889-4A1D-A5DE-A6E0BCA3C2E5.thumb.jpeg.e69976a0d76d95fc408bbe97d1e26dc4.jpeg

18363ED9-11F5-4FBB-8F59-979D961AECBE.thumb.jpeg.da62ef30fcabd8fd7dc1182c07bb5448.jpeg

But not this one

94244E9E-2799-4673-B835-7B73486FEF7A.thumb.jpeg.d917b719a6d39d72a0bebab5b0206e9d.jpeg

I don’t understand why the hydrangeas didn’t bloom until late summer - but it’s been a weird year weather and garden wise.  this one has bloomed all season, though (just a baby)

FE5320BC-397B-41FC-BAA6-80CB0BAE8B45.thumb.jpeg.543667b38171bd9a7a732a1f1167b3a5.jpeg

47 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

A special prayer for the families of Const. Morgan Russell and Const. Devon Northrup, 2 police officers who were killed in the line of duty yesterday.

It was such sad news yesterday when the 2nd officer died. 😢 

17 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Welcome back - you were missed.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, so many still suffering from Ian & Fiona and those that need them.  and, a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday, everyone !!!!

A1CFCADD-8EFA-4BC8-8BA9-A6FFF3B87D56.thumb.jpeg.441a91399cc990b2106444079a5f41bc.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Dixie glad you are feeling better. Tina, thank you for being such a great stand in for Debbie!

Lots of prep for me today, but happy to have my great group of neighbors over for a visit. One couple will be celebrating their 35th anniversary next year and are planning their trip to Alaska around the same time I did mine. They have lots of questions. 

02CCA669-1A6B-4EC0-8CF2-4B832C4BA368.jpeg.2c640553fc57182f5793c345ed55c6a1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domäne Wachau 2019 Ried Achleiten Smaragd Grüner Veltliner

With these excellent - superb reviews, I would expect to pay much more for this amazing sounding wine. I would love to try a taste. It is near the top of my budget, so definitely want to try it first. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $42.15.

Winemaker Notes

Ried Achleiten is known for wines with great uniqueness. A smoky minerality, subtle flinty notes and a very complex structure are typical for Achleiten wines. Grüner Veltliner from this vineyard has a particularly fine herbal spice, as well as delicate stone fruit notes and some exotic aromas. The gneiss soil of the Achleiten supports the firm acidity enormously. The term Smaragd stands for dry, dense, and complex wines of the Wachau; Apart from structure and depth, Smaragd wines also convince with great storage potential. 

Well chilled, the wine goes great with veal and poultry like pigeon and quail or with spicy cheeses and strong fish dishes.

WE98 Wine Enthusiast
Stony savor swings as a vestige alongside zesty citrus on the closed nose. The palate starts off tight and taut, right now it is all sleek and stony. Time in the glass allows glimpses of what still lies deeply buried: a rich, profound yeastiness reverberating with peppery, salty depth. This is an astonishingly concentrated package that may just be a time capsule that survives us. Drink 2030–2050. Cellar Selection
W&S95 Wine & Spirits
Achleiten, a steep, high-altitude site of gneiss and mica-schist, is known for producing austere wines. This one feels like it’s in supreme control, revealing only what it wants to when it wants to—a glimpse of florals, some sandalwood scents; golden-plum fruit, acacia-honey notes. Altogether, however, those notes add up, gathering energy and creating a sense of richness and power without weight. It’s firm, long and packed with potential; give this cellar time.
JS95 James Suckling
What a lovely, silky and creamy dry white, caressing the palate in such a seductive way. Very delicate herbal notes, a touch of snow pea, then a lot of minerality at the long, filigree finish. Drink or hold.
RP94 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
From manifold plots from west to east, the 2019 Ried Achleiten Grüner Veltliner Smaragd has a brilliant and intense citrus color and offers a deep, delicately flinty and refreshing bouquet of crushed stones intermingled with lemon oil and juice notes as well as mirabelle aromas. Full-bodied and round, with crystalline acidity and a tight mineral and phenolic structure, this is a dense and complex Achleiten with an intense and still tight but persistent finish. An excellent 2019 to be aged for years.
WS91 Wine Spectator
This white starts out with piercing scents of elderflower, then grapefruit and peach flavors, shaded by legume and earth notes. Powerful and broad, shows some heat on the finish. Drink now through 2025.
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Fleet Update and general info.

Ok, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for another cruise story from none other than RNB. This or these stories I call:

Key West Capers

Now you probably think this is about food additives but it actually several short stories, kinda like O. Henry short stories but you can call it O. RedneckBob short stories.

1. Strangers in Town

Let's go back to the Fall of 1987 and RNB is on assignment in Key West, Florida for three weeks in Federal Court. No, I did not do anything wrong; I was a rep for the Plaintiff. So what does this have to do with cruising, you ask, Well, we were trying to get a Boatload of money (ship reference). Everyday we would walk from our hotel to the Courthouse in business suits and everyday someone would come up to us and say, "Y'all are not from around here, are you?" Then when it came to jury selection from the jury pool, you could say the people of Key West were kinda laid back; either coming or getting ready to go to the beach or Sloppy Joe's. It was a wonderful three weeks in Key West as strangers.

2. Inflation leaves no rock unturned

Now let's fast forward to January 2005, cruising out of Galveston, Texas on RCL, with our first stop in Key West. The ship was in port until 11 PM, so we decided to go into town after dinner. During our walk we ran into a panhandler with a sign that said, "Will Tell Dirty Jokes for $.50."  We decided not to accept the offer. Now let's fast forward to February 2020; cruise on Celebrity back to Key West. This time while in town we saw what appeared to be the same panhandler from 15 years earlier still telling dirty jokes but now he wanted $2.50 for the dirty joke. WOW, inflation really impacted dirty jokes plus the guy would not give us a Senior discount!

3. I can't believe it's only $5

For those who have been to Key West you probably know of the store where everything is $5. Probably higher now. I was standing in line with several tee shirts and this person in front of me gets to the clerk to pay for the items they had and asked the clerk, "How much are these Items?" I said $5 each! The person did not have blonde hair, something a sexist might say.

Well, that's my short stories. I am looking forward to my next trip to Key West so I can but my favorite thing, Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie on a Stick. If it's not from Key West, it is not the Best. Just made that up.

RNB, out.

• Like 18
  • Haha 9

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam at sea on the way to Sydney. I don’t know how fast we are going but it looks and feels like we are sitting still in the water. Sydney isn’t very far. 😉

Last night our Daily group ate at the Pinnacle Grill. Lovely time. 

3D8C9800-DD22-4405-B8E3-8EF711AE78E7.thumb.jpeg.3e7e0ff3ca1dbe7348e524d9e14ac80e.jpeg
Nicholas & Robin @Live4cruises, Edi @NextOne, Debbie @dfish, me, Rich @richwmn, Henry & Carolyn @Cruising-along, Craig. Fun times. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 12

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  The clouds are breaking up, it's 62 degrees and it's supposed to be back in the 80's tomorrow.  I slept well thanks to the sound of the rain last night.  I missed rain!

@msmayor Nice to see you back!  

@RedneckBobWhen we cruised to Key West last month, we had a fantastic lunch in a Cuban restaurant, but full as we were, we stopped for a Chocolate covered Key lime pie on a stick.  It was wonderful!

My cell phone (work phone) has already been ringing before 8 this morning.  I haven't checked to see what boss is looking for me now.  Too early.  I'm off to the dentist this morning.  While they were going to work on a cavity, I would prefer, they put the crown back on my tooth.  It's not extremely painful, just irritating.  Then we are hoping that I can chew afterwards, so that while we are in that neck of the woods, we can have lunch at our favorite Thai restaurant.

I thought mu mom would say silly things....until I got old enough, or more mature perhaps to understand them.  One thing she would say is "wherever you go, there you are" every time we went somewhere new.  I thought for years, that she meant, "well I'm here, where ever here is" but now I understand that no matter where I go, I bring myself.  And to enjoy the new place, I have to change MY thinking.  Otherwise, it's the same old me, so I have to bring the better me.  It's my personality that I take every where.  Of course she used to wear red outfits, and dance through the living room, to the song, Who wears short shorts.....

@0106Thank you for filling in while @dfishis sailing.  I really appreciate the work you are doing!

its-thursday-meme.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2