The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday November 15th, 2022

richwmn

26 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A very early good morning from central Texas.  It was 39F when I checked a few minutes ago and windy.  It was another morning when I woke up early and could not get back to sleep.  I decided to get some things out of the way before heading to Waco a little later.

Recycling is very important, and I would love to be able to recycle here and in Quartzsite.  It was possible for a few years, but recycling is no longer available in either place.  The companies handling the recycling began charging too much or would not let civilians drop off the recycling.  Bundt cakes are nice.  I have been trying to clean our the refrigerator before things got really nasty.

A very interesting quote by Marilyn Monroe.  I believe there was more to her than met the eye, but she chose to show a different side.  She was a very complicated and troubled person.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would love to try the wine, but someone else would have to buy it.

We were lucky to visit Broome in 2002 on the Asian Pacific Explorer Cruise (APEC) on Volendam.  Broome was not on the original itinerary, but was substituted for Bali after the nightclub bombing.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, that is good news that your DH had the stitches removed yesterday and is on the mend.

@MISTER 67  I hope all goes well at the doctor visit and the infection has cleared up.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I'm glad the cruise is going well, even with itinerary changes.  I think you will enjoy Broome.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, except for the fluctuating BP, DH is doing well.  He is doing his best at therapy in spite of as he put it "his BP being all over the map".  It was done in his room yesterday afternoon for safety, and his BP was checked every five minutes or so.

@Cat in my lap  I love our Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album.  Enjoy the concert.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Broome.  Since we'd been to Bali two years before, we were not as disappointed to miss it as many others were.  We went into town and rented a car to explore the area.  Later, we stopped at the airport to see about a sightseeing flight.  All the ones booked by the ship had finished, and the pilot gave us a good price (below the ship's price if we promised to to tell).  

The airport

IMG_1743.thumb.JPG.586c263ebd85fb46b38e122ce03db639.JPG

IMG_1744.thumb.JPG.bf0f8f72b0816e360c66ef617669bc04.JPG

Broome is on a peninsula and there are many beaches

IMG_1745.thumb.JPG.856b24a6cc37c403a3f4771d63e00541.JPG

Cable Beach

IMG_1746.thumb.JPG.cbe835d7cbf422982e5f70f1ae82039a.JPG

IMG_1754.thumb.JPG.56117c2e52ae1c88f8de0dbc7f8f566d.JPG

We stopped at this restaurant on Cable Beach for a cold beer.  Cable Beach was named in honor of the telegraph cable that was laid between Broome and Java in 1889.

IMG_1767.thumb.JPG.eb65ee7fda8687460be9ea23dd1c218f.JPG

Scenes from our flight.  Some of the pictures taken out the window are not as clear as I would have liked.

IMG_1768.thumb.JPG.ad8db8f01809b9eb149a4039cfb06a60.JPG

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.f2bf462712fea08fd9abe830219f60a5.JPG

The Volendam at the end of a very long pier

IMG_1784.thumb.JPG.af4ff7dde242d13839031ee8b33376a5.JPG

The runway

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.32c6e9bfa2f53a700370a31a511197e5.JPG

Broome

IMG_1805.thumb.JPG.5aa9b09ec9f90f9d2f8532b22bb002a8.JPG

IMG_1806.thumb.JPG.0d2f71e2c7054e36920d0e46d3d9e6d0.JPG

IMG_1807.thumb.JPG.085e32a93d121da1ad6e704c60a92149.JPG

IMG_1809.thumb.JPG.70f149c97528dc422eb01f97c88502bd.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

Broome's beaches look nice but the town looks sparse.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

Oh!  National Clean Out Your Fridge Day!  What a good idea.  I think I’ll add Clean Out Your Pantry Day and maybe throw in a little Clean Your Laundry Day as well.  Will this mad crazy merry-go-round existence never end?! 🤪

Mm.  Kale and roasted cauliflower salad.  All I need now is a blender.

@Crazy For Cats, thank you for popping in with your daily shipboard life pictures.  It’s nice to be back at sea vicariously.

@RedneckBob, thanks for the brief comment on the Celebrity Beyond.  We had it booked until someone decided they wanted to get married that day and I was wondering what I was missing.

Thanks for the pictures of Broome, Australia.  I’ve been doing some preliminary research  on Australia/New Zealand itineraries but it seems there is a lot of covid testing required.  Don’t know all the ins and outs yet but it may be too soon for a visit.

Well, that’s my coffee allotment for today so I guess that means I’ve got to get up and do something.  Have a great day everyone.

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Good morning, the system snow is coming down and it is 32 degrees.   We are heading down to see DB in about 30 minutes.   An interesting group of days.  Thanks @richwmnand @rafinmdfor our daily updates!   I like Bundt cakes and while rummaging around for pie pans I came across a Bundt pan that DF brought when he moved in.  We both do Atkins for the most part though.  I will be cleaning out the fridge as it is recycling in two days and I see a jar of marinara that is past its' prime.  Our recycling is once monthly.   Sometimes it is so heavy I have a hard time picking it up to roll it.   But last month the wind blew it over.  This month it is full with the usual wine bottles but also the cardboard and pulp packaging for the bottles.   @Quartzsite CruiserLenda I agree with you comment on Marilyn Monroe.   She was defined by others.   She allowed it though.  Pass on the cauliflower and kale, kryptonite for me.   The cocktail looks a little too fussy for me.    We have 2 bottles of Chateau Lafite 1998 in our cellar.  One a gift from my DH and another from a hostess/host gift from one of our over the top wine dinners.    Lenda and Sandi thank you for the photos of Broome! 

Prayers for all on our Care List.   Prayers for those cleaning up from the hurricanes and the people of Ukraine.   Thanks to all here who research our daily events, it makes this group so interesting to start the day with!  Nancy 

• Like 26

Good morning, everyone!

It is a frigid start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  The forecast is calling for 1-3 inches tonight into tomorrow.  I think I've come to the end of my outdoor walks for now.  I do have a membership at the Community Center so I can move operations there for the winter.  

I celebrated Recycle Day yesterday when I took a full car load of packing boxes out to the recycle center.  Got rid of a couple bags of the paper used to wrap breakable items as well.  Then I went to the credit union and opened a checking and savings account.  All was going well until I tried to change the routing of my pension check to the new accounts.  They said they needed 7 days before issuance to make the change but because I had recently changed my address I had to wait until November 30th to change the direct deposit routing.  It took a couple of hours but that is finally straightened out.  

In today's meal feel free to substitute spinach for kale.  Or any other green.  The salad is very versatile and you can add in what you like and leave out what you don't.  This first recipe is pretty simple.  https://www.loveandlemons.com/roasted-cauliflower-kale-salad/

579017119_cauliflowerandkalesalad1.jpg.67f6c3ef5b12fd8588fd33754e837898.jpg

I think the tomatoes in this version add a lot.  I'd throw in some roasted mushrooms as well.  https://www.lastingredient.com/roasted-cauliflower-kale-salad/

369375435_cauliflowerandkalesalad2.thumb.jpg.d065c6ab37d2a90b4ea3a676db99bc3e.jpg

This one includes dried cherries, walnuts and feta cheese.  You can also roast the kale for a great crunch and crispness.  https://www.spicesinmydna.com/roasted-cauliflower-kale-salad-dried-cherries-walnuts-feta/

1831097893_cauliflowerandkalesalad4.thumb.jpg.bbe8c249dc1c530c70c1aa5c54aa8de6.jpg

Lastly, this recipe uses purple cauliflower, cranberries and pecans.  Try it,  you might like it!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/damaris-phillips/shaved-cauliflower-salad-with-toasted-pecans-and-cranberries-3174101

872353278_cauliflowerandkalesalad5.thumb.jpeg.a9b81c5f94aff06afeb473f9ed6a49d2.jpeg

Prayers for those who need them along with hugs.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day and steps forward for those who are recovering from illness.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good morning! A light rainy morning made it ideal for sleeping in. We have a few things to clear out in fridge and give to neighbors as we leave for two weeks tomorrow morning. Sure seems Marilyn Monroe was quoted a lot? 
Finish the packing and will probably eat out tonight are the only two things on my agenda today. The life of Riley!

Thanks for the reports and have a safe and healthy day.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Oh!  National Clean Out Your Fridge Day!  What a good idea.  I think I’ll add Clean Out Your Pantry Day and maybe throw in a little Clean Your Laundry Day as well.  Will this mad crazy merry-go-round existence never end?! 🤪

Mm.  Kale and roasted cauliflower salad.  All I need now is a blender.

@Crazy For Cats, thank you for popping in with your daily shipboard life pictures.  It’s nice to be back at sea vicariously.

@RedneckBob, thanks for the brief comment on the Celebrity Beyond.  We had it booked until someone decided they wanted to get married that day and I was wondering what I was missing.

Thanks for the pictures of Broome, Australia.  I’ve been doing some preliminary research  on Australia/New Zealand itineraries but it seems there is a lot of covid testing required.  Don’t know all the ins and outs yet but it may be too soon for a visit.

Well, that’s my coffee allotment for today so I guess that means I’ve got to get up and do something.  Have a great day everyone.

The Beyond is incredible. Though ship near capacity there has been no issues with service. We are in the DR today and it is so hot, “How hot was it RNB, it was so hot that even Tarzan would not live here.” 😀

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone.  We received a wedding gift of a Bundt pan that was ceramic over clay.  Our Christmas cake was baked every year in it — until it cracked a couple years ago.  I’ve been searching on eBay for another.  They’re rare!

Fridge is cleaned out as we make ready for Thanksgiving guests.  With 12 youngish adults coming, DD and I were inspired to put together the latest Pinterest craze — a bar cart.  Had to slim things down from the Big Box Bottles we usually have.  It looks like a party to me.  And they can help themselves.  (There’s space there for the red, the white, and the bubbly. 😋)

EAE6517B-F9A8-4023-A378-26D3E1ADDD83.thumb.jpeg.b4721b04c9528f806d3a898d85c39d69.jpeg

So we’ve been very productive here.  Lol

Wishing everyone a lovely day.  Our thoughts are with those who are having difficulties.  Thanks for the Daily.

• Like 31

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you to all contributors. 

I would like to have Roy's dinner from last night, but I would enjoy Debbie's recipe as well. Has anyone made charred cauliflower and Brussels sprouts with bacon, apples, and sugared pecans and a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar? My favorite. 

I hope everyone sailing are having a great time. Thanks for posting your pictures.

I am thinking of @kazu and hope her foot/ankle is improving. To my other fellow Daily-ites hoping you feel better, have good doctor appts, dentist appts, rehab workouts, etc.

We were not allowed to recycle in Coeur d'alene. We'd have to pay a fee to take our bottles down to a small site and have them disposed of. Here in Texas we can recycle the bottles directly in the recycle bins.

image.png.1fe0e1fc1c8d707859f5c55a1487927c.png

image.png.79079964a4bb9cf0c2b9a424c4e7ff5b.png

Wishing everyone a blessed day. Cheers and Prayers!

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Dailyites.  An interesting day, Daily news as always is very inclusive and caring.  Pat is feeling better, so we are leaving in a little while to drive down to Bellingham, Washington for a few days.  We have a reservation for the 11 a.m. ferry to the mainland, our "cruise" for the month....  We did have a few days of nice rain but it has dried up again and the reservoir is still going down - it's at 68% now.  A bit worrying.  

Prayers for those that need them and we'll toast to those celebrating this evening at Anthony's seafood restaurant.  

• Like 22

Good morning. Still cold here in the mornings, but hey this is Colorado. 13F when dogs and I ventured out at 7:30. It may make it out of the 30's this afternoon but I doubt it. The Chihuahua hates it!!! I have bought him a little puffy coat that zips up the back so I don't have to try to put his head through anything or lift his skinny little legs, but he hates that too. He needs to live in a warmer climate.

My fridge is pretty well cleaned out, but only because I have not been to the store recently. Will make a stop this afternoon when I head back from the shelter and restock. Am not a fan of either kale or cauliflower but I might try it along with other roasted veggies. A couple of @dfish offerings looked interesting. And along other lines, Deb.... I know about changing routing numbers and direct deposits. It was a real hassle when my account got hacked and they had to assign me all new numbers for checking, savings, and credit card. Fortunately I slid just under the wires with the pension fund and social security which do involve direct deposit. Auto deposit is great until it isn't.

Love the pictures of warm climates although it sounds like it might be little too warm.... but I guess we can't have everything. I have one cruise booked well into the future.... will have to see if my plans change and I find something near to time.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 23

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I would like to have Roy's dinner from last night, but I would enjoy Debbie's recipe as well. Has anyone made charred cauliflower and Brussels sprouts with bacon, apples, and sugared pecans and a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar? My favorite. 

I haven't had the cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, but I'd sure love the recipe.  Brussels sprouts are my favorite.

7 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Am not a fan of either kale or cauliflower but I might try it along with other roasted veggies. A couple of @dfish offerings looked interesting. And along other lines, Deb.... I know about changing routing numbers and direct deposits. It was a real hassle when my account got hacked and they had to assign me all new numbers for checking, savings, and credit card. Fortunately I slid just under the wires with the pension fund and social security which do involve direct deposit. Auto deposit is great until it isn't.

Why do they have to make it so hard?  I had no problem with my annuity.  Went right through.

• Like 14

Good morning all!

Another crisp morning, 30 degrees when I woke up.  Heading for a high of 49 and clear.

We fill our large recycle bin with glass, plastic and paper and it's picked up every 2 weeks here.  I never could understand why the yard waste is picked up weekly (year-round) but the recycling every 2 weeks...oh well, the bin is big enough to hold it all.  In the winter we don't have much yard waste after the leaves have all been picked up.

I have 2 bundt cake pans but rarely bake cakes anymore.  No need to clean out the fridge, that was done before our 4-week cruise and now we're filling the fridge up again 😉  I "get" the quote, like the last 2 recipes (thank you Debbie @dfish) and will pass on the wine and drink.  We'll go to the port on the Grand Australia '24, thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the great photos.  Hmm, wondering what's best to do there.  I think I like the idea of renting a car...

Today we'll make a Costco run and I'll continue to try to get ready for the upcoming holidays.  I'm usually more prepared, being gone 4 weeks really slowed me down!  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. A big disappointment this morning when I found out that they aren't sending out information for the grand voyages. I was looking forward to having the excitement happen as each piece came through. Oh well, I guess the marketing department decided that just posting the theme nights and packages and crew on line was enough and that won't happen until a week before. By then I will be already on board and know who the crew will be, have my shipped luggage delivered, so no hope of bringing special things for special nights. It is a disappointment that seems silly but I will get over it as my boarding date is just a month and two days away.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone, 

It's a cold clear day here in the PNW and I love it! Rain isn't in the forecast for almost a week which is nice. 

DH is making progress but slow. He has a heel problem with a deep tissue injury which is slowing him down. I had a Care Conference yesterday unbeknownst to me until I got there. Communication is not a strong suit at times from the facility. Overall he is making slow progress. I can't talk to the wound care people who change his heel dressing because they only come on Wednesday (wound care Wednesday) and they are done before 9:00 AM. His blood work that was ordered last Friday was finally done yesterday. It gets frustrating trying to be an advocate. Oh well - we soldier on. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Your husband sounds. like he's doing better than mine (minus the blood pressure issues). Hang in there! Caregiving isn't for the faint of heart! 

Now off to see DH for a few hours and then I have a 3:00 PM Doctor's appointment (check in with the PA) in Bellingham which is about 25 minutes north of us. While I'm up there I plan on a bit of shopping at a few favorite spots and then a stop at Boomer's Drive-In for chicken Swiss mushroom burger to bring home for dinner. 

Karen

• Like 18

When I got to the rehab hospital, DH had just finished a therapy session.  I mer Hena, the occupational therapist who was all smiles.  She said he'd made it through the hour without his blood pressure dropping.  DH even requested going to the gym to try walking.  He was still sitting in the wheelchair for another 15 minutes before the BP dropped.  They finished changing the sheets and got him back in bed.  After a BP check they did an ekg. 

About an hour later one of the doctors came in to see him, after the weekly evaluation of his progress. She was encouraged that he is beginning to make progress, and said they will keep working on the BP problem.  It sounds like they won't be sending to the hospital.  I probably won't ever meet his "regular" doctor. He visits sometime between 7 am and shortly after 8 am.  Visiting hours don't start until 8 am which is hard for me to get here that early.

It will take time, but he is slowly heading in the right direction.  After meeting one of the doctors, I feel he is in the right place.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Hi @dfish Debbie,

1 lb Brussels sprouts 

1 small head cabbage

Salt/pepper

Olive oil 

4 strips thick bacon

2 Tbl balsamic vinegar 

1 small green apple peeled and sliced like a matchstick

1/3 cup chopped maple or sugared pecans

Preheat oven to 400

Line a baking sheet with foil.

Cut sprouts in half. Cut cauliflower to match size of sprouts.

Put veggies in a large bowl, toss with 2 TBL olive oil, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp salt.

Spread vegetables out on pan with sprouts cut side down. Bake 15 minutes. Turn over the sprouts and bake another 10-12 minutes til nicely charred but not mushy.

Meanwhile cook bacon til crisp and break into small pieces. Save 3 Tbl of bacon drippings. Add balsamic vinegar to bacon drippings and a bit of salt and pepper. My sister adds a tsp of Dijon mustard to the sauce. I don't. 

When the veggies are done, put them into a large bowl, toss with dressing, pecans, apples and bacon. My sister sprinkles feta cheese on top,  I don't..

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add on
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. A big disappointment this morning when I found out that they aren't sending out information for the grand voyages. I was looking forward to having the excitement happen as each piece came through. Oh well, I guess the marketing department decided that just posting the theme nights and packages and crew on line was enough and that won't happen until a week before. By then I will be already on board and know who the crew will be, have my shipped luggage delivered, so no hope of bringing special things for special nights. It is a disappointment that seems silly but I will get over it as my boarding date is just a month and two days away.  

Linda thanks for the heads up on that.    I am glad I didn't wait on my luggage shipment after I read you had done yours.  I did write on my itinerary the nights that I had guessed would be "special nights" based on lack of ability to book the specialty restaurants.   I guess I will throw in something black and gold and something orange in case they decide to call those events.  Specialty restaurants blocked. January 12, January 18, January 25, February 6, February 10, February 14 after those dates I quit looking to prebook dinners.    I haven't had time to look on roll call or our page on FB so thanks again!  Kind of takes some of the excitement out of the preparation.    

• Like 16

I did get to see DB today and he looked much brighter today and his rash is fading somewhat.   The doctor was in and he said he thought the rash was due to the anti-fungal he was on so they are re-starting the cefazolin.  I told DSIL to look at a spot free place on his arm and watch it once they restart the meds.  If she sees a change call the nurse.    He travels to the surgeon in the next couple days to get his staples removed.   I hope he doesn't cheat out of his OT today.    Nancy 

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I think we should all try to recycle, although I have to go out of my way to recycle glass, as it's not picked up with the rest of the stuff. I haven't made a bundt cake in a while. I am working on cleaning out perishables from the fridge before going away. Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal, drink and can't afford the wine. I like Roy's meal.

I haven't been to Broome.

It's cold with snow showers. I had another bad morning. I'm waiting to hear back from GI and Neurology. At least I feel better now, for the time being.

@Lady Hudson Good news about DH's progress with the dental issues. 

@RedneckBob Enjoy your cruise.

@cunnorl I'm pleased your tests were negative.

@Cat in my lap I hope you get a good report at the Cardiologist.

@MISTER 67

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice photos from Broome. I'm glad DH is starting to do better and that you feel more comfortable with him there.

@rafinmd Lovely sunrise.

@ottahand7 Great news that DB is doing better today.

@Vict0riann Good that Pat is feeling better.

@luvteaching Prayers that DH's heel tissue injury is slowing him down; he's lucky to have you to advocate for him.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear that the insurance company came through and that you're getting help with packing things up. Prayers for Joanne. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1