The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday November 19th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning from a cold, windy and cloudy central Texas.  I'm going into Waco a little later since I'm waiting for the clothes to come out of the dryer.  I discovered this morning that I needed to do laundry.

Three days worth celebrating.

An interesting quote that I can relate to.

The crispy mushrooms and Muenster looks good, but maybe not as a slider.  It would be good when our vegetarians are here.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would like to try the wine.

@cat shepard  Ann, there are many days, more lately, that I resemble the meme.  🤣

@MISTER 67  I'm glad the finger is healing.  Hope there is no pain soon.

@Cruzin Terri  Teri, good luck on the email change.  Glad you have a cruise to look forward to.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, last night sounds like a lot of fun.  Even better that they raised $1300 a good cause.

@GTVCRUISER  🎈 🛳️ BON VOYAGE!  🥂🍾   We enjoyed our eight cruises on Koningsdam.

Fairbanks was the destination of the day on Tuesday, April 13, 2021.    Here is the link to @richwmn Rich's post.    It works, just doesn't look like Sandi's @StLouisCruisers link.

We have driven to Alaska in our motorhome seven times, and have taken many cruises to Alaska.  All our visits to Fairbanks were on motorhome trips.  Below, is what I posted on April 13, 2021.

DH and I just went through our pictures from our motorhome trips to Alaska.  Evidently, all the pictures of Fairbanks were taken the old fashion way and are in the photo albums.  The other alternative is that somehow I accidently erased them from the computer, but that seems unlikely as there were quite a few from more than one trip.

I did find a few from that area, plus a couple from Fairbanks.

These pictures are of the Dalton Highway (aka Haul Road) that goes to Deadhorse near Prudhoe Bay.  The start of the highway is about 80 miles from the outskirts of Fairbanks.  We drove up the Dalton Highway, but did not go as far as the Yukon River.

IMG_2745.thumb.JPG.d0f9d08aa5bddc6ceeff521c10c4abdf.JPG

A view of the highway and the surrounding area.IMG_2746.thumb.JPG.bf6cbb0ae36fbb2b34ef38b51ae397e6.JPG

This is a roadhouse shortly before you reach the beginning of the Dalton Highway, and the last pitstop before the highway, complete with outhouses.  

IMG_2752.thumb.JPG.a5bd4d9c23e53f4533a67b618577a3e5.JPG

This sign was at the viewpoint along the pipeline.

IMG_2759.thumb.JPG.3435c76bb77dae04b59eade0d7c2a2e6.JPG

A group of car enthusiasts gave us a antique car parade through the campground in Fairbanks.  We could walk around and look at the cars, many of which had not been restored.  We especially liked the Metropolitan since we had a black and white one in New Jersey when DH was stationed at Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, NJ.

IMG_2775.thumb.JPG.94f9c046e5db48de4f75beeb245699bc.JPG 

We also visited Pioneer Park which is free.  There is a transportation museum in the middle of the park in addition to buildings from the area that have been moved to the park.  

IMG_2776.thumb.JPG.c2060e4402b9b314edc523309230bd40.JPG

Alaska weather is a lot like Texas weather and changes often.  Shortly after we entered the park the dark clouds in the picture above opened up and the rain poured.  Being the smart people we are, we left and came back later that day.  The weather had changed completely by then.

IMG_2812.thumb.JPG.9cb0b9775d6bf74c075796bb0038a03b.JPG

You will find wildflowers, including lupines, along the highways.  They are a different variety than the Texas Bluebonnets.

IMG_3112.thumb.JPG.9982f5908d128688b56fa6023fd796c8.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

35 minutes ago, GTVCRUISER said:

Koningsdam in San Diego this morning, I will be cruising on her today 🙂

Lot's of horns this morning.  Woke me up.  Enjoy your cruise.  We got off last Saturday.  Had a great time.

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

10 am tomorrow at Crow’s Nest. Ship is actually docked at 19 instead of 4 as they announced earlier. Blocked on webcam by Sky Princess I think. 

Where did you see that?  My navagator hasn’t updated. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 5

Good morning all. Last night we went to the Mobile Christmas tree lighting. It was packed. One thing was to make it feel like it was snowing they used soap bubbles. We have spent too many winters with feet of snow so an evening of 50 degrees was pleasant. 

0053D332-E6AC-47F7-B764-425D8FDF386E.jpeg

• Like 22

Good cold and sunny morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder with wind.

One of the rural fire companies in Lancaster county has a drive thru Thanksgiving dinner by donation this afternoon, I’m planning to check it out. 
Not much else going on. Safe travels home for those of you disembarking today.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 15

Roy, we had the same exact dinner as you did last night--on the NA.  Except we added chocolate sauce to the ice cream!  It was interesting to read about the AutoTrain; I didn't know such a train existed.  We're on the NA for three more weeks and are in Half Moon Cay today.  DH is a bit under the weather, NOT the cov.; he tested twice.  I enjoy reading the Daily tho I don't participate much.  Thank you all!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Where did you see that?  My navagator hasn’t updated. 

My Nav app still says 4 but cruisemapper.com shows the ship at 19. In addition we’ve just arrived at the Volendam and it’s definitely at 19. 😂. The majority here waiting are not wearing masks even though once they step on the ship they will be mandatory for the first 3 days and possibly longer. A handout they gave us says we will all be tested on Nov 22 to determine masking rules further on. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

All good days today.  I'll pass on the meal (not a fan of mushrooms), drink and red wine.  

This afternoon we'll be going down to DD's house to take one of the grandsons to a birthday party, pick him up, and have dinner with him.  The other grandson will be with DD and DSIL on an outing.  I'm trying to think of some errands we can do there while he's at the party.

I'm VERY thankful that my sister invited us to their house for Thanksgiving, and to stay overnight (they live about 75 miles north, near the border).  I'll be bringing 2 pumpkin pies, rolls from the bread machine, and a corn casserole.

Bon Voyage @StLouisCruisers, @summer slopeand @GTVCRUISER!!

Bruce @aliaschiefenjoy Monterey today.  That's where DH and I met in 1968 🙂  

Welcome to the Daily @SDARCHand @12cruise2!

We took a land/cruise in May of 2019 with my best friend and her DH.  We flew into Fairbanks, but because of flight schedules, our arrival time was too late in the day to see anything.  The next day on our way to McKinley Park, Denali we did a 3-hour river boat ride on the Chena River, stopped at an Athabaskan village and saw where Susan Butcher raised her Iditarod dogs.

On the flight between Anchorage and Fairbanks

1915720404_betweenAnchorageandFairbanks.jpg.69cf0f8cbcaf267c46a2dba0d288b4ea.jpg

Caribou, moose and grizzly skins at the Athabaskan village

682237329_cariboumooseandgrizzlyskins.jpg.b219120c0e58ebb7e10cf16cadb30b3d.jpg

This parka weighs 23 pounds and would sell for $3600

1736393966_parkaweighs23poundsandwopuldsellfor3600.thumb.jpg.a325ee5f40cfca287b352afabd3d4fe5.jpg

7-foot-long Timber Wolf skin

55469565_7-tootlongTimberWolfskin.thumb.jpg.32edccbaa361af1130b160466659cbba.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Good morning! It's 20F on the thermometer on the front porch with lots of blue skies and sunshine. 

I'll take National Adoption Day as our son is adopted. We adopted him in San Diego. He was 2.5 years old and came walking, talking, almost potty trained and a mop of red hair! He's 46 now, the red has faded a bit but you see it in his beard and a few other places and he's still a talker. 

DH is making slow progress. Yesterday was very good in many ways. He stood at the parallel bars without help getting up and stood for a minute which is good. Later he walked 30 feet in the parallel bars with minimal assist then wheeled his wheelchair 214 feet back to the room. This was in addition to the arm machine and the bike. He'll be tired today. 

On the downside he was prepped for a shower and the therapist and I noticed blood coming from the bandage on his heel where he has a deep tissue wound. The Wound care team saw it on Wednesday. In addition to blood there was some other oozing. He had his shower (they covered up his leg), and got dressed and wanted to be in bed and then there was blood still oozing. I got the nurse but she was busy doing diabetic checks, etc. and said she'd get to it when she got to our end of the hall. Well, I left at 6:00, DH was having his dinner, and she was just getting to our end of the hall. I asked her to call if there was anything wrong and she didn't call so I'll see what I find out shortly when I head into town. Being a caregiver and an advocate is a 24-hour job! 

Have a great weekend everyone! 

Karen

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

@StLouisCruisersHave a wonderful cruise!  Was hoping to meet you on the GSA. Maybe another time.

A couple of questions for you. Can you let me know if magnets work for the Volendam walls. Several of us would like to know, and we are getting conflicting reports.  Is there a liquid soap dispenser beside the sink?   Thanks.

• Like 11

Good morning and thanks all!  Love the quote, the book thief is one of my favourites.   Bon voyage to all those preparing to leave!  And welcome home soon to Jacqui. 
Sending prayers to all struggling right now,  mentioned or not.

@Cruising-along so glad the tests for your DH went well yesterday,  living with cancer is not for the faint of heart.  I understand the need to just get on with things and not dwell on the situation.  All the best! 
Our neighbour is still in hospital with the brain bleed.  Hoping for a good outcome. 

B768CB83-758C-4122-A935-135397D436A3.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

All good days. I salute most men, lol, and women entrepreneurs . Being adopted, I'm a big proponent of adoption. Not sure on the meaning of the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and drink. Maybe on the wine.

I have been to Fairbanks. We took the McKinley Explorer from Denali to Fairbanks.

Brrr. It's cold and windy today. We're at 29, but the sun is out. Our holiday light up night is downtown tonight; I suspect some will stay home due to the cold. I'm feeling pretty good, but of course woke up with my eye being red and light sensitive. Luckily I jumped right on it with the strong drops, and it seems to be getting better. I didn't have to wear sunglasses indoors since I caught it early. Otherwise I'm trying to pack 2 bags, one for the road trip travel and one for the cruise. Also taking sheets and towels for staying in a friend's condo in Myrtle Beach a couple of days on the way home. At least in a car you can take as much as you can fit in it!

@marshhawk That boss sounds like a real jerk. Good to be rid of him.

@kazu I hope disembarkation went smoothly and safe trip home.

@rafinmd I'm glad your foot is feeling better. Thanks for doing our lists while on your cruise.

@Cruzin Terri I hope the work on the house proceeds smoothly. Prayers for Joanne.

@StLouisCruisers @summer slope @GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

@ottahand7 Lots of snow! Be careful.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the pictures.

@lindaler Nice photo!

@Cruising-along Thank you for sharing your photos. I'm glad DH is stable and keeping up with his follow-up care.

@luvteaching Great to hear that DH is making progress with rehab. That heel issue sounds serious; I hope wound care can come there to help with it.

@bennybear Prayers for you neighbor. Love that photo!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Some pictures from Fairbanks.

HAL train car going to Fairbanks

601151499_0954-HollandAmericaCoach.thumb.JPG.1e1ae88d37d8445b590dc4e896e38104.JPG

Steamboat Landing

1581030602_0988-8_26.09SteamboatLandingFairbanks.thumb.JPG.f19a51b76e3bcbd13a24103f53e50c05.JPG

River cruise in Fairbanks

1291925344_0990-DiscoveryIII.thumb.JPG.f15ec6237a616b5e2fb32173ec372719.JPG

David Butcher with the Iditarod dogs

1267442818_1004-Readyforapracticerun.thumb.JPG.e0b12012983d98c1cb69fa0a717bd7b2.JPG

Chena Village Caribou and Post Office

1012.thumb.JPG.63b67129d9b4bdcef95c035cac3e9836.JPG

1394801810_1013-ChenaVillagepostoffice.thumb.JPG.ce307fc28dee3930a4add19abce1980a.JPG

Preparing fish for smoking

1024.thumb.JPG.bd950e41a3b57c50f7c15ce4b4d3a8bf.JPG

1026.thumb.JPG.7e27e053304c2c387d3feac9e2a78983.JPG

Chena Village demonstration of Alaskan Parka

1591087888_1035-RealAlaskanNativeParka.thumb.JPG.3daa0f3e4d44c60241862730ce280e69.JPG

Tribute to Granite, Iditarod dog

1817059249_1049-TributetoGraniteIditarodDog.thumb.JPG.3d664f9d0fd99aa2e831866362817b08.JPG

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon.  I have been putting off getting the 2nd turkey in the oven but I guess I’d better get a move on.  I have been cooking way too much, lately, and have completely lost interest.  Thank you for the lists and the pictures and especially for that sunrise @bennybear.  Gorgeous.  Bon Voyage and safe travels to all who are cruising this weekend.  🏖 

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Our Captain on the Beyond just gave us our noon report. He stated, “This is my first sail into Ft Lauderdale. I just completed my training to sail into Port Everglades on an online course, www.learntosailyourvessel.com”. 😀

I thought Captain Kate McCue was currently Master of the Beyond?  🤔

• Like 14

I refer to today's (taken yesterday) sunrise as horizontal rather than vertical. On a very windy morning, the sun did not rise above the horizon but appeared as low lying clouds blew out of the way by near gale winds:

dawn18.jpg

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2