The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday December 13th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Cocoa Day, National Day of Saint Lucia, and National Violin Day

We loved with a love that was more than love.--Edgar Allen Poe

Meal Suggestion for today - Tuscan Sausage and Kale Frittata
Drink of the Day - Purple Haze Martini
Wine of the Day - Barefoot Bubbly NV Extra Dry Sparkling (California) California Other
Destination of the Day - Manila, Philippines

Eurodam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 13:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 12/14

Nieuw Statendam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:59

Oosterdam

Ushuaia, Argentina 12:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Kralendijk Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles eta 12/14

Volendam

Sea Day Destination Ocho Rios, Jamacia Eta 12/14

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 12/17

Zuiderdam

Dry Dock Freeport, Bahamas Completion 12/14

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania Australia eta 12/15

Westerdam

Port Chalmers (Dunedin), New Zealand 10:00 AM To 6:00 PM

1213World.thumb.png.f24af14ac8c207b9f4935106fd6ea73e.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Cold and clear this morning but should "warm up" to -1°C this afternoon. 🙂

I love hot cocoa with whipped cream on a cold day like today, and I use cocoa when baking cookies.  I can't play the violin and admire people who can.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal. 

Hope the drink and wine are good.

I've never been to today's port.

I'm heading out to do a little bit of Christmas shopping today, hope I get it all done.🤞

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily report.  I’ll have to celebrate with a mug of cocoa while listening to violin music today.  If it wasn’t love what was it?  The meal and drink suggestions sound very tasty. I haven’t been to today’s port, looking forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Happy ___________ to those of you celebrating today!  

• Like 27

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

You gotta love hot cocoa, we've been to beautiful St. Lucia a few times but why is there a national holiday for the island. 

Interesting quote by Poe and I'm sure most of us have experienced love like that.

The meal sounds good.

We are not happy with HAL right now, I was paying some bills last night and my credit card statement had a charge for 120 dollars from HAL that was posted after we left the ship Sunday morning, after a so-so cruise this is something I don't need as I'm going to spend some time on the phone today with HAL trying to find out what the charge was for.

Thanks for the Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  I tend not to like a single violin but love them in groups.  I'm wondering why Saint Lucia Day, perhaps celebrating independence?  I enjoy hot chocolate but prefer coffee or tea.  I like the Poe quote but have never been to the Philippines.  I'll pass on the kale.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple and Cucumber soup, Duck Breast a l'orange, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 13, 2013.

Today’s care list:

AncientWanderer with Covid
Medical appointment for Grahan today
RIP FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Grube LODD, 12/7/22  Schuylkill County Pa. Internment 12/17
HALsailer DSIL with cancer and very weak
summer slope and DH in covid quarantine
lazey1 with post cruise Covid
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Ottahand7 Db in rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

luvteaching DH sprung from rehab for concert
Good skin procedure for Graham
4 days for Kazu (Koningsdam 12/17 to 1/7/23)
RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),  StLouisCruiser & Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) SusieKIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/22) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

Interesting days.

Hot Cocoa is nice.

When I sold records in the 1980s one of our classical albums of 

Yehudi Menuhin was a violin masterpiece.

Great quote.

Nice food and drink today.

Prayers 🙏 offered for anyone they will help.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Graham. 

Screenshot_20221213_115946.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  I tend not to like a single violin but love them in groups.  I'm wondering why Saint Lucia Day, perhaps celebrating independence?  I enjoy hot chocolate but prefer coffee or tea.  I like the Poe quote but have never been to the Philippines.  I'll pass on the kale.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple and Cucumber soup, Duck Breast a l'orange, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 13, 2013.

Today’s care list:

AncientWanderer with Covid
Medical appointment for Grahan today
RIP FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Grube LODD, 12/7/22  Schuylkill County Pa. Internment 12/17
HALsailer DSIL with cancer and very weak
summer slope and DH in covid quarantine
lazey1 with post cruise Covid
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Ottahand7 Db in rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

luvteaching DH sprung from rehab for concert
Good skin procedure for Graham
4 days for Kazu (Koningsdam 12/17 to 1/7/23)
RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),  StLouisCruiser & Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) SusieKIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/22) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's list's Roy.

My appointment this morning was 08.30am and after checking my feet the doctor put new inserts into my Sketchers trainers.

They are slightly painful so I will see if they work but I was told I can come back if I need a foot injection or more padded insoles.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221213_121152.jpg

Screenshot_20221213_121258.jpg

Screenshot_20221213_121239.jpg

IMG_20221213_100913.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  I especially like the lovely celebration for St. Lucia in Scandinavia & will happily celebrate violins.

Love the Poe quote.  I like to think DH and I resembled that remark.  And today’s meal suggestion sounds good & really interesting.

A very busy day today to prep for tomorrow.  Yes, I sat here stewing for far too long trying to decide whether to cancel or go and then decided (after talking to friends) to give it a shot and try to get there so I need to do a lot today.

4DE3CE49-DD20-42D2-8A1A-0ECFB531BB20.thumb.jpeg.6a9f2050873887128d663893e33026de.jpeg

And do some Santa stuff to a few households as well.  I hope it’s not all for naught 🤞 

A98C7978-237F-400F-812C-34D1292D48FD.thumb.jpeg.03f33e234536dcc08f68b58f7db94594.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

6926368B-ADA7-4DA7-875F-6D6B79EB2171.thumb.jpeg.fd988984c166f5fb3b1557130bf2a71c.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone and stay safe.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Happy Tuesday to all.  Thanks to Rich, Roy and all who contribute to this thread.

Home from cruise and most cruise stuff put away.  Christmas decorating done.  Now to really attach the shopping.  Amazon is my friend!

DH going to dentist tomorrow to hopefully finish first half of procedures that need to be done.  Hope to put off second half until after the holiday.

Looking for a cruise that we can do in February with friends.  But finding an accessible cabin at this late date may be a challenge.

Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

• Like 30

Good morning Daily-ites. A beautiful sea day. The sunrise was slow and gorgeous.

205685496_12132206182.thumb.jpg.cd2b1af6bd9de8470ded59f682c1bd90.jpg

I missed the 8 am Tai Chi class because I forgot to put our clock forward last night.

I should attend the 11:00 "Secret to a Flatter Stomach" but will be going to EXC Talk: Islands of the Mind. Then lunch..

Canaletto tonight, then "Cantare" a collection of love songs.

The Mariner Reception for 3-4-5 stars is tonight at 7. Poolside Lido. We are 4 but close to 5..

Jacqui, praying you are able to get out of the storms and into San Diego. You deserve a break dear friend.

Wishing blessings upon those in need, and cheers to our celebrations today.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! We finally got to see the sun yesterday & the stars last night. I admit I am spoiled. 

Roy thank you for taking care of our ever-changing lists. Today I am off to volunteer at a local food bank, then do my only afternoon class at the gym. This will be the first time with the permanent instructor, so I hope I enjoy it as much as last week’s class.

534D7F9A-3830-4896-A5EB-350BD61ACCC5.jpeg.e3c08afd82c1c73f3947ad2ca13badda.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Barefoot Bubbly NV Extra Dry Sparkling (California)

This slightly sweet bubbly is easy to find and very easy on the wallet. It has very good reviews from critics and consumers. And it can be yours for as little as $8.95, though most places offer it for $9.99.

Distributor notes 

Combining all the flavor of crisp, refreshing apples with a smooth and creamy finish, Barefoot Bubbly Extra Dry Champagne is the perfect pairing for any celebration. Perfect with everything from fresh fruit to smoked salmon, this lively, versatile champagne was made to stand out.

87 Wine Enthusiast 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

Good morning! I have been to Philippines on military duty but will do an overnight in Manila on our World Cruise. Our toe nails are starting to snag on the sheets! So we have an appointment for pedicures this afternoon. One of lives great pleasures.

Tonight we are taking a neighborhood couple (across the street) out to a Mexican restaurant. It will be nice getting out of house.

Thanks for the report and post.

image.jpeg.2b871a2eeb13cefdeca0dc7b408fd23a.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 14

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I love cocoa in the winter, but don't make it often; I try to cut the sweetness of it by making a mocha.  Thanks for the explanation of Saint Lucia, and we have enough musical instruments in the house without adding in a violin!  

I like today's quote - I think it applies to a lot of Daily folks.  We've often had the wine of the day, as when we're in FLL, we would walk over to CVS and pick up a bottle to bring onboard for sail-away.  

A busy social day for us - this morning I'm meeting with my retired colleagues for a final time this year; I won't be joining the group in January as we'll be on a BHB.  Then a friend is taking us for a later lunch; we helped him start his photography business 46 years ago.  After that, another colleague is retiring and there is a come & go wine and appetizers near the dinner hour.  Wow, it seems we sit at home by ourselves for ages, but when the invitations come, they are all at once!  

@Seasick Sailorloved the photos of you, DH, and your cabin - looks great!

@kazuI can imagine you scurrying (well, limping) around your house getting things tossed into suitcases so you can get out of Dodge tomorrow.   I just checked the forecast and at this time it's only calling for periods of snow with an accumulation of 2cm.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you, girl!

@grapau27glad you had good results from your medical appointments.

I like today's menu suggestion minus the kale, but won't be worried about dinner tonight.  Because we'll be attending the come & go for my friend, we are not likely to be hungry, so the kitchen will be dark tonight.  Never fear, we'll still have wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to everyone with something to celebrate.  Stay safe, be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be kind of gray and gloomy here in mid-Michigan today.  Now that I've said that, the sun will come out and shine brightly.  Not a lot on the agenda here except perhaps some grocery shopping.  Or at least making the list for grocery shopping.  We shall see how motivated I am. 

@AncientWanderer So sorry to hear your are in the Covid penalty box.  That is a bummer, especially right before the holidays.  Wishing you a light case and quick recovery.

Today's meal sounds good to me.  It would be wonderful for a family brunch.  For the kale haters, use spinach.  I've gotten to really enjoy kale lately.   So I'd stick with that.  https://emeals.com/recipes/recipe-41526-265295-Tuscan-Sausage--Kale-Frittata

1754948491_tuscanfrittata1.jpg.6052435823a27bed4dbb8748cea393e7.jpg

This next recipe points out that breakfast for dinner is often quite good.  And a frittata can be great for cleaning out the fridge.   https://imperfectlypaigewellness.com/sausage-kale-frittata/

1229792269_tuscanfrittata2.jpg.23b40ef3e53421e09f90455caade61f9.jpg

It seems like a lot of the recipe sites are pushing specific products and this next one is one of those.  But, ignoring the commercial aspects of it, the recipe looks pretty good.  I like the addition of tomatoes to the frittata.  And, I know I can use any brand I'd like.    https://kitchenconfidante.com/italian-sausage-and-kale-frittata

1326308812_tuscanfrittata3.thumb.jpg.3a871cc638141410619cfe94a63a3531.jpg

Next up we have a brand I've never heard of, but I'm sure it is good and that I can use parmesan cheese I find locally.   https://nourish.schnucks.com/recipes/tuscan-frittata/

1378731339_tuscanfrittata4.thumb.jpg.c4b1cedacefac58f8af45432f16f1178.jpg

While none of these are low in calories, they are low in carbs making them great for those of us who must watch them.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning everyone from a very cold New Jersey. 22 degrees right now. I would love to snuggle up in my PJs and spend the day in front of a fireplace, but A, I dont have a fireplace and B, I have to go out later.

I finally got permission to get tjhe boster vqaaccine so now I just have to find a time to schedule it.

I'll be back later to read more.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 30

I’m on the internet on my phone but DH couldn’t get his tiny laptop to connect. He called the front desk and they said the internet is down because they are  working on the server. Some parts came in yesterday Joanna said. Imagine her surprise when he said my wife is on CruiseCritic right now on her phone!  So just want to let you all know I delivered the message to Joanna that my friends here on CruiseCritic want the internet up and running on the upcoming cruises. 😂

I haven’t been to Manila before. It was port of the day on June 16, 2021 but with the laptop down I can’t post a link.  I’ll check in later as I can with uncertain internet. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

before I forget...

Saint Lucy's Day, also called the Feast of Saint Lucy, is a Christian feast day observed on 13 December. The observance commemorates Lucia of Syracuse, an early-fourth-century virgin martyr under the Diocletianic Persecution, who according to legend brought food and aid to Christians hiding in the Roman catacombs, wearing a candle lit wreath on her head to light her way and leave her hands free

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

(1) My TCM practitioner has diverse interests. He's Irish-American, and has a degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine and a serious interest in Asian religions. His office is decorated with a mix of Asian and Catholic religious art. He also loves Scandinavia, attended school in Sweden for two years, and is fluent in Swedish. This morning he posted a selfie on social media in which he is standing under a chandelier so that he appears to have St. Lucia candles on his head. I have an appointment with him at noon.

(2) A friend from graduate school (the first time) started college at a Danish Lutheran college in the Midwest. Her family is not Scandinavian. So when other girls in the dorm got up early on December 13 and started baking cinnamon rolls, then arranged candles in their hair while the rolls were baking, her reaction was "Why would anyone do that?"

I would have to pass on the meal, because of the sausage, but kale is the only green that I really dislike.  With the sausage it might not be too prominent. I'd rather have Duck Breast a l'orange, although I'm not sure about pineapple and cucumber soup.

165914881_to-dolist.thumb.jpg.ef73ff70e5b0386ac7d5246e2460654d.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 6