The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 30th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

18 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for starting up the Fleet Report/Daily @StLouisCruisers.

No to inane answering messages (my landline still has an answering machine). I'm a bubble wrap fan for shipping my ebay stuff. What are we escaping from? Strange quote. I've made an Instant Pot turkey breast in the past. Pass on the drink, but yes to the wine if someone else buys it.

I haven't been to Kushiro.

It's a foggy day here, gloomy and 40F. Snow and freezing drizzle tomorrow. My eyes are finally starting to clear some, but the right eye will take a while due to so much blood. I look like someone in a horror film! I've spent the morning trying to get my Medicare annual exam scheduled. My PCP has no openings until June. Then I talked with the company that sends my Kevzara, to try to find out about getting extra for when I'm away. I'll have to send an itinerary, which I don't have yet.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for your post and our lists. I think my treadmill is dying; it was making odd sounds and needs a new belt. I'm not sure it's worth repairing it, as it's over 20 years old. It's up on my 3rd floor so not easy to get rid of. I guess I'll try my elliptical for a while. Ren and Colton must be very good to get those invitations and hopefully make good decisions, with their parents' help. I can try to help when you're away, if need be  - just need to set an alarm for mornings; I've been staying up too late, which is the culprit!

@summer slope I hope the crown is easily fixed.

@kazu Wonderful news that you got a good night's sleep! So kind of your neighbors to help you out.

@rafinmd I am sorry to hear you still have pain and did not sleep well. I hope the antibiotics will clear things up, but it may take time. I would talk to the doctor about a realistic prognosis. Prayers.

@ger_77 I get cold just reading about your temps there. I'd be afraid the mug might break while full of a hot drink!

@aliaschief Safe travels tomorrow and have a great time.

@cruising sister Great photo! Bon Voyage!

@GTVCRUISER Welcome home. Great sunset.

@Cruzin Terri Sad to hear about your pain. Good luck with the HVAC.

@Heartgrove Welcome home. Thanks for the picture of sweet Lily!

@ottahand7 Looks like you got the Drake shake, rather than the Drake lake. Enjoy Antarctica, it's fabulous!

@Cruising-along I'm glad the family is safely home.

@kochleffel Woohoo on the cabin upgrade!

@Seasick Sailor Sorry your oral surgery was so involved and I hope the pain is tolerable.

Prayers for our too long Care List and Cheers to those with something to Celebrate.

Try to stay well everyone.

Glad to hear the eyes are better slightly, if not completely cleared of blood.  Good luck calling for an appointment with the doctor.  I hate doing that.

Ren and Colton were in Palm Springs this winter at a showcase where scouts watch for the best players.  Then they invite them to come to town and practice with the teams.  They went to Dallas once already so it's a top contender.  Next week is the Kansas City team for practice.  The Moms are going next week with the boys.  It's a time consuming sport for these parents who are constantly traveling around the country for games, tournaments, and training trips like this.

Thanks for your offer to help when I'm gone.  Guess we should wait and see how Roy feels about taking back the Daily duties.  All offers of assistance are appreciated, right Roy?  

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@ger_77  Gerry, I used to do some ceramics when DH was in the Army.  I'm not an expert, but if the glaze is just crackling with thin lines, it might be all right to use the mug.  On the other hand, you could always just use it as decoration.

The interior is a very dark glaze, so I can't see if there are any fine lines in it or not.  Just the occasional "tink".  A little disconcerting.  LOL

58 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Gerry @ger_77, I’m not a ceramic expert by any means, but have you washed it in the dishwasher?  It’s possible that it isn’t dishwasher safe. I bought a mug for Craig once that has a “C” on it not realizing it wasn’t dishwasher safe, I think it’s because of the decorative painting, and it now is sitting on top of the kitchen cabinets never used. 

No, I've only handwashed it very well in hot soapy water.  I'm not sure what would happen if I put it in the dishwasher.

27 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@ger_77 I get cold just reading about your temps there. I'd be afraid the mug might break while full of a hot drink!

That's my concern as well!

On another note, just heard from a friend who missed a step as she was going into her house and broke her humerus just below the shoulder.  She's going to be out of commission for at least 6 weeks.  Thankfully her DH will take good care of her.    I'm going to be extra careful, because she's the 5th person in the last 2 weeks I've heard of who has fallen and broken something!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Here is a photo of Lily who is almost 6 months old that my daughter sent me yesterday! What a change these past few months.

IMG_4296.jpg.9a806b90332ae488e3b79b5563542fee.jpg

Stay Safe!

- Jack

She is definitely a cutie!   Love the babies.

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

The West African peanut chicken stew was a hit! I forgot to get a picture of it though.

I kinda melded two of the recipes that @dfish posted (as is my nature being a synthetic research chemist) and will try some tweaks when I make it again. And we will make it again! My main "problem" was that it was a bit thinner and soupier than I had expected. But a little corn starch tightened it up nicely!

I'm glad it was a hit.  I've only made it as a soup and am going to try it as a stew, so I'll want it to be a little thicker.  I might try a little flour on the chicken when I brown it.  What stays in the pan will help thicken things up.  If not, your cornstarch trick should work.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

At least 1 more day here.

Roy 

I think that is good.  But, I hope they have changed your status.  If they decide to send you to rehab, it  could be a problem.  We had problems with Medicare not paying when patients came directly from an observation status.  I don't know if they have fixed that or not, but I'd be sure to ask.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

broke her humerus just below the shoulder

That's the kind of break I had, but the repair was so good that I was able to drive myself to the pharmacy three days after the surgery (it was my left arm). The only thing I couldn't do at all was tie my shoes, and the Junior Cat was no help at all with that. It was winter and I don't like wearing slip-ons when it's wet or slippery, so I had to get shoes with Velcro fastenings.

• Like 22

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Glad to hear the eyes are better slightly, if not completely cleared of blood.  Good luck calling for an appointment with the doctor.  I hate doing that.

Ren and Colton were in Palm Springs this winter at a showcase where scouts watch for the best players.  Then they invite them to come to town and practice with the teams.  They went to Dallas once already so it's a top contender.  Next week is the Kansas City team for practice.  The Moms are going next week with the boys.  It's a time consuming sport for these parents who are constantly traveling around the country for games, tournaments, and training trips like this.

Thanks for your offer to help when I'm gone.  Guess we should wait and see how Roy feels about taking back the Daily duties.  All offers of assistance are appreciated, right Roy?  

Right.

Roy 

• Like 17

So far the rain has not materialized, but it was doing what we call spitting when I drove up to the mail box.  Today is just too cold and windy for a walk, although I've wound up going outside more than I intended.  

For once, I have something good to say about our mail carrier.  We were expecting several orders from Amazon, four in one box, and one separately.  The carrier delivered the box of four to the house, and when I asked, he said the other was in our box.  I drove up expecting to find a key to one of the larger boxes; instead, there was an empty mailbox.  We decided to wait to see if the package arrived tomorrow, but about 45 minutes later, the carrier returned after he found the other package in his truck.  In the past, our other mail carriers have just waited until the next day.  I'm going to call the Post Office and tell them how nice the carrier was to come back with the package.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Woo-hoo! I had delayed printing a luggage tag because I had an upgrade bid pending. I really expected to be informed this afternoon that it had been declined, because my bid was only slightly more than the minimum, but since it was from an inside cabin it would be in the last batch to be processed. It was accepted: to a balcony cabin on deck 9.

I found that I have to do a little more laundry, because clothes that I thought were clean are not.

1378327443_irishpossum.jpg.d4d2651edd45c52660fdf8596838f0ee.jpg

Congratulations on the upsell.  Have a great cruise.  I like the meme.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

My bridge was sawn off and the tooth holding the bridge that split in two and absessed was pulled.

I'm feeling pretty miserable but I'll be back tomorrow feeling chipper!

Prayers for all on our giant prayer list and Roy you are absolutely in my thoughts today. Shame on that nurse!

Joy, having a tooth pulled is never fun, but you'll feel much better tomorrow.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy 

Roy, that sounds better than what the nurse was saying.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday.  I think our crazy freezing weather has moved on, that might be why Texas is so cold. Our low was 36F and warming up to the mid 60’s. 

Well, I had to reread Roy’s @rafinmd post three times to let it sink in what that nurse said. I just don’t believe that anyone can predict how your recovery will progress, especially since you were just recently diagnosed and hospitalized. I agree with everyone else that a discussion with your physician is in order. 

Gerry @ger_77, I’m not a ceramic expert by any means, but have you washed it in the dishwasher?  It’s possible that it isn’t dishwasher safe. I bought a mug for Craig once that has a “C” on it not realizing it wasn’t dishwasher safe, I think it’s because of the decorative painting, and it now is sitting on top of the kitchen cabinets never used. 

@GTVCRUISER and @Heartgrove, welcome home!

@kochleffel, congratulations on the upsell!

Joy @Seasick Sailor, I’m glad that the worst part of the dental work is over. Take care. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I'm glad you got rid of your cold weather, but next time, how about sending it north where it belongs instead of east.  😉 🤣

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

It's a foggy day here, gloomy and 40F. Snow and freezing drizzle tomorrow. My eyes are finally starting to clear some, but the right eye will take a while due to so much blood. I look like someone in a horror film! I've spent the morning trying to get my Medicare annual exam scheduled. My PCP has no openings until June. Then I talked with the company that sends my Kevzara, to try to find out about getting extra for when I'm away. I'll have to send an itinerary, which I don't have yet.

Vanessa, I'm glad your eyes are starting to look better.  I hope you get an appointment with your PCP sooner than June, and that the medicine can be sent sooner.

35 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

The interior is a very dark glaze, so I can't see if there are any fine lines in it or not.  Just the occasional "tink".  A little disconcerting.  LOL

No, I've only handwashed it very well in hot soapy water.  I'm not sure what would happen if I put it in the dishwasher.

That's my concern as well!

On another note, just heard from a friend who missed a step as she was going into her house and broke her humerus just below the shoulder.  She's going to be out of commission for at least 6 weeks.  Thankfully her DH will take good care of her.    I'm going to be extra careful, because she's the 5th person in the last 2 weeks I've heard of who has fallen and broken something!

Gerry, just in case, it might be better to just display the mug.  Often ceramic pieces are not suited for the dishwasher since they sometimes have an unglazed ring around the bottom.  We still have some of the cobalt blue mugs HAL gave as prizes years ago, and I hand wash them because of the unglazed ring.  I'm glad you're being careful, and I'm sorry that so many of your friends have fallen and broken something.

33 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think that is good.  But, I hope they have changed your status.  If they decide to send you to rehab, it  could be a problem.  We had problems with Medicare not paying when patients came directly from an observation status.  I don't know if they have fixed that or not, but I'd be sure to ask.  

This is also for @rafinmd Roy.  When DH was in the hospital in June, we were told that in order to go to a nursing home, he would need to be in the hospital three nights, but that was not a requirement for either inpatient or outpatient rehab.  He was in observation in the ER the first night, but was admitted to the hospital the next morning.  It would still be a good idea to double check with Medicare, and the rules might be different if one has a Medicare Advantage plan.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard @JazzyV @Quartzsite Cruiser @Sharon in AZ @marshhawk @*Miss G* @bennybear @kazu @grapau27 @smitty34877 @StLouisCruisers @ger_77 @Cruising-along and anyone I've inadvertently missed:

Thank you for the birthday wishes! Your 🎂greetings🎂 have made me feel like I'm celebrating the birthday that wasn't!

My DH's very ill sister (my DSIL) is no longer able to remind my DH the things he no longer remembers. It's just an expectation adjustment I need to make...

Thank you so much -- you've made my day,

-Melisa

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

Roy thank you for the updates.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi thanks for getting us started each day! 

@Heartgrove thanks for the darling photo of little Lily and she really has grown.  

@kochleffel congratulations on the upgrade! 

We have Canaletto tonight as it is Osso bucco night.  Something rich and warm for a blustery night.  The list to the starboard has been rectified.   I didn't dare go to the gym today but I have 5 sea days to get caught up.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 0106 said:

The three nationwide credit bureaus — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — have a centralized website, toll-free telephone number, and mailing address so you can order your free annual reports in one place. These are the only ways to order your free annual credit reports: 

That's the website our financial advisor recommended and that I used. I found the Equifax and Experian credit reports more user-friendly but the bank where the fraudulent account was opened mainly uses TransUnion, so I check its report very closely.

Depending on the circumstances, there are limits on how often one can check each bureau's report for free. Perhaps the only good impact of Covid-19 is that EVERYONE can check each of the three bureau's reports FREE each WEEK through December 2023. I do not know the history of that Covid provision, but I'm glad it exists.

We've always been extremely careful with our data, information, accounts, etc and this identity theft made me feel very stupid and violated. But I've learned how often it happens to even the most careful people. That doesn't make me feel less violated, but I don't feel as dumb...

-Melisa

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy 

Thanks for keeping us updated!  Hopefully you are stabilizing, that’s the critical first step. Then improvement will follow!  Hope you can get some rest. m—

• Like 16

9 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer suffering identity fraud

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for including me, but you can remove me and shorten the Care List. Yesterday's and today's The Daily discussions of fraud have reminded us all that, as the sergeant on Hill Street Blues used to say, "Let's be careful out there."

-Melisa

• Like 18

Wow!  A lot going on here today.  Prayers for all in need and of course special prayers for Roy.  The nurse story reminds me that when DH initially went into the hospital, after testing, a nurse came into the room and said, “Oh, yes, you have had several strokes.”  Bill had not yet even seen the neurologist.  That was interesting.  Katherine 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The nurse may still be right; more antibiotics right now.  I am Part A only with Federal Blue Cross.

@rafinmd My 🙏prayers🙏 are with you and with your entire medical team (yes, even with that night nurse who needs to learn what to say when) for your speedy and complete healing.

-Melisa

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Peculiarly, the lead story on a local TV station's website is that the Smithsonian "Castle" (the original, Renwick building) will close for five years for renovations.

That reminds me of a story. Circa 1980, I was working for a college on the west coast, in a job that took me to Washington, D.C. I had appointments with people in various Federal agencies, but lunchtimes were open. One of our graduates was a curator at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, nominally retired but continuing to work at the museum, as many Smithsonian scientists did. I asked her to lunch, and she said, no, she would take me to lunch in the Associates' dining room in the Castle.

She told me to ask for her at the information desk at the Constitution Avenue entrance of the Natural History Museum. Now, she had a rather unusual-sounding name, and the guard gave me a funny look and asked "What department?"

Knowing the field of her expertise, I replied, "Worms." That led to an even funnier look, but he got out a large card file, riffled through it, and found the card with her name. In addition to her name, office location, and phone number, the card read

CURATOR

WORMS.

She came down and led me through the museum. As we left through the Mall side, the guard there searched my briefcase. He didn't search hers. I figured he knew who she was, and if she was stealing any worms, he didn't want to see them.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 13
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today's Care and Celebration lists are long, but I am hoping we will whittle down the Care list very soon.  Get well Roy!

Today’s care list:

Roy in hospital with pneumonia and low sodium

Did not know 😔 All the best for a speedy recovery, Roy!

StLouisCruisers; if you want me to take over until Roy is back up and at it, please just advise! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy 

Roy

Thank you for checking back in. I am thrilled that your official info is so much better.

I am stunned that the nurse would say what he did, when he clearly did not know what he was talking about. Even if he had the best intentions, he was way out of line. 

Rest well.

Ann

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Did not know 😔 All the best for a speedy recovery, Roy!

StLouisCruisers; if you want me to take over until Roy is back up and at it, please just advise! 

Thank you John, but I'm doing fine at this point.  If that changes I know you or many others here will jump in and take it on.  We can all confirm how hard Roy and Rich work at keeping this community up.  Bless them both!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

39 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you John, but I'm doing fine at this point.  If that changes I know you or many others here will jump in and take it on.  We can all confirm how hard Roy and Rich work at keeping this community up.  Bless them both!

+1 and yourself too Sandi for all your amazing photos and for taking the helm in Rich and Roy's absence.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

+1 and yourself too Sandi for all your amazing photos and for taking the helm in Rich and Roy's absence.

Thanks for your comments Graham.  Those photos were actually Tony and Martha's @sailingdutchywho was the only person to post photos last November on Kushiro day.  He is on Koningsdam until tomorrow so I posted them for him so everyone could get a feel for the city of Kushiro.  I don't think he'll mind! 😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well they’ve been pressuring me to take Insulin because my blood sugar was rising, I think due to the stress while I have 20 years of successful self control.  Well it was down to 101 before dinner,so I hope that talk can be put to rest.

Roy 

• Like 26

52 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank YOU for stepping up to the plate! 🤙 Take care and be safe!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well they’ve been pressuring me to take Insulin because my blood sugar was rising, I think due to the stress while I have 20 years of successful self control.  Well it was down to 101 before dinner,so I hope that talk can be put to rest.

Roy 

Infection will also make the blood sugar go up, as well as the stress of hospitalization. I'm sure it will go back to your usual good control as you improve.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1