The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 13th, 2023

cat shepard

Today is Clean out Your Computer Day, Get a Different Name Day, and National Wingman Day

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Meal Suggestion for today - Classic Lasagna
Drink of the Day - Summer Fish Bowl
Wine of the Day - Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Fourchaumes Vieilles Vignes 2020
Destination of the Day - Le Havre-Paris, France

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 2-15

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 2-17

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 13:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana eta 2-14

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Ushuaia, Argentina eta 2-17

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 2-14

Volendam

At Sea Destination Buenos Aires, Argentina eta 2-14

Zaandam

Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera 13:00 - 19:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Burnie, Tasmania Australia 07:30 - 19:00

Westerdam

Singapore 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Adelaide, South Australia eta 2-15

FA113D9D-82A0-42AC-BE6C-4A741270DA7B.thumb.jpeg.06439b4ef5e2ee03e55585df5e4061ec.jpeg

B770C721-D632-4FCC-878A-A4CD224DF29A.thumb.jpeg.7ac8cc31a527eda193d066ad8852b6b9.jpeg

Ann for Paul, Sandi, Roy & Rich, who makes all this happen!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got flurries in the forecast and it should be a nice winter day.

Congrats to the Chiefs.

I should clean out my computer.  I don't think I need another name.  I don't have a wingman, maybe I need one?

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, thanks for the suggestion.

I guess I'll save the drink of the day until summer, I hope the wine isn't too expensive.

I've never been to today's port, but I'd like to.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Summer Fish Bowl cocktail:

Ingredients
½ part Cruzan® Coconut Rum
½ part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao Liqueur
1 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1 part Pineapple Juice
1 part Lemon Juice
Garnish:
Lemon Wedge

Instructions
Combine ingredients with ice into a large bowl or pitcher and stir. Garnish with a lemon wedge, add paper straws and serve.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 7.17.05 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Today’s care list:

Roy slowly getting back to normal

Cruising sister’s painful hand surgery

Tupper10 with continued back pain

Marshhawk job loss

30;000+ deaths after Turkish & Syrian earthquakes

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Kochleffel with Covid/Paxlovid side effects

Seasick Sailor with rib fractures

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Welcome home Dobiemom

Cruzin Terri’s Master Bath work progressing to completion

Tupper10’s son going home from the hospital

Luvteaching’s DH out of hospital and back in rehab facility

Aliaschief in Cancun until 2/14

5 days for Seasick Sailor (Koningsdam 2/18 to 3/25)

5 days for 57redbird (Koningsdam 2/18 to 3/25)
StLouisCruisers (Sky Princess to 2/18), ktbraun (Eurodam to 2/15), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena to 2/19), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), 0106 (Rotterdam to 2/15), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for getting us stared @cat shepard  I was up in time for a sunrise photo on our way to Half Moon Cay.98195BB1-E6A3-4700-A170-2EEDAEE748C1.thumb.jpeg.72d687c8faa69ede28ab36e28942c63e.jpegI appreciate everyone who posts port pictures.  I am looking forward to your photos and comments about Le Havre.  I know it’s a bit of a drive but we are probably going to do a private DDay tour when we are there in October.  Any one have any comments or recommendations?

I didn’t comment on plum pudding yesterday but just read @cruzn single and @Cruising-along posts.  Most people think of plum pudding as a Christmas cake similar to fruit cake.  My family is PA Dutch and we often make fruit puddings which are basically cakes with fresh fruit added.  Makes a moist and delicious dessert.  Here is recipe if you are trying to use up those extra plums.

https://www.midcenturymenu.com/dutch-plum-cake-1959mid-century-recipe-test/

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Rich, thank you for creating the amazing Report & Daily program that allows everything to continue, even while  you are enjoying your World cruise. Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists!

A nippy 42 here this morning. But Bindi still wanted a walk. The sun is just about to crest our trees, so that will help warm us up. Yesterday’s wind was brutal. Even Bindi struggled against the headwind. It was breezy this morning, but hoping the winds won’t return. 

Just one class, Bindi walks and chores fill my day. This evening I am bringing some hors d’oeuvres to an open house for one of the town commissioners running for reelection. She has done an amazing job supporting businesses, local artists, park cleanups, improving the access to the Intercoastal and dozens of other accomplishments. I definitely want to show my support. 

73339467-477A-494B-B367-7217C1EEB566.jpeg.9b0c347214f56689e8f831ce740d9d50.jpeg

41FE39C2-F9F2-4F12-B41F-A0B19EDE9079.jpeg.54a6750a438faa29e27ad2cb18d5f8e1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Fourchaumes Vieilles Vignes 2020

All released vintages of this Chablis share the same excellent reviews and you might find a better price locally. I would love to taste this, and it is just slightly outside of my budget. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $61.99.

Winemaker Notes

#97 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

A racy, elegant wine with intense minerality; a beautiful structure with delicate notes of white blossom and orchard fruit.

WS94 Wine Spectator
Clean, precise and expressive, this white exudes fresh lemon, apple, floral, lanolin and mineral aromas and flavors. Harmonious and leaves a mouthwatering impression, with the essence of lemon and stone. Approachable now, yet should age gracefully. Drink now through 2029.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon from a sunny 37°F North East coast of England.

I did a couple of sales calls then had a coffee near the beach photoed.

Thank you Ann @cat shepard for supplying today's daily reports.

I rarely use my lap top preferring to use my phone.

I often ear lasagna.

We have been to Le Havre many times.

It is a good base to see the historic Normandy beaches but is not really appropriate for Paris which is a 2 hour bus drive away.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

IMG_20230213_094806.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Ann.

Interesting collection of days.  I guess I can celebrate get a different name day sort of - my legal name is the same but decades ago I shortened it and have used that ever since.  Always a good idea to clean out you computer/ipad, etc.  Today’s wine sounds lovely !

Love Rowling’s quote and lasagna is a great comfort food.  Le Havre is a great starting point - so many places to see in the area - Rouen, Honfleur, Giverny for Monet’s house and gardens & D-Day beaches to name a few.

374EC889-3ED6-4D87-BFA1-E2E83FAE39F6.thumb.jpeg.d6dc773fa582934d1b144995edc21128.jpeg

Hoping everyone enjoyed the Super Bowl last night.  My recording was a bust - thought I had the U.S. station but nope, Canadian commercials.  Guess I’ll have to go to Youtube to see the good ones 😡

5E44F1B5-E298-43FD-887B-52DA13E41B68.thumb.jpeg.fbf5fc84e0d8afb923d7767626ee2cdb.jpeg

A big ‘Nor Easter heading to the Maritimes.  This is one time I hope the weatherman is right - we are on the line and supposed to miss it.  Hoping the Bay of Fundy doesn’t do it’s thing and pull it in 🤞 .  We’ve had enough here.

@aliaschiefit’s a longer drive than Cherbourg to the D Day beaches but well worthwhile.  Juno beach (we’re Canadian), the museum, realism and the respect the Normandy people still show for those who came is truly moving.  Don’t forget to visit Canada House - it was used to guide the boats in and amazingly, the only building left standing there.  Our guide operated out of Cherbourg, not LeHavre but there are a lot of good guides.  there are several companies mentioned consistently on the ports boards like Overlord tours.  I know you will have a great day.  It was a memorable one for us.

20CB91B4-90D0-41A3-96B7-0663ABC65FF6.jpeg.5902e605085fbb4cc0b0dfcf617c11b1.jpeg

Don’t forget that tomorrow is Valentine’s Day.  Make sure to get your Valentine the gift they would like 😉 

8578B2F8-65C3-49AE-9162-32D789BACD09.thumb.jpeg.15460027c2031841592d8cb38ab92c37.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, people of Ukraine & affected by the earthquake and of course, those that need them.  And a big toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

A8EBD9BE-6F7D-4967-91FF-AC2D80D518C5.jpeg.4107ebd93ecb35adde3d7203e94e3127.jpeg

Have a great Monday everyone.

• Like 32
  • Haha 7

Good morning, everyone.

Well, that was certainly a good game last night - right up to the last seconds.  Both teams played well and deserve recognition.  

We are looking at sunshine and mid to high 40sF here in mid-Michigan.  We've had a string of beautiful days and I'm afraid they'll come to an end.  Not sure what a Wingman is, I'm keeping my name as I'm too old to learn to answer to another one, and I should clean out my computer.  

Today's meal is a favorite of mine.  I love lasagna.  I don't have it often because of the carbs, but occasionally I'll treat myself.  I'm not sure what makes a lasagna "classic", but the recipes I'm using today all claim that title.  This first one has  us make our own tomato sauce.  I would leave out the sugar as the Italian sausage should help to sweeten the pot a bit.  https://www.thewholesomedish.com/the-best-classic-lasagna/

1956944922_lasagna1.jpg.030d548b5e9bb2d2a9fe92be88ed34ba.jpg

This next one is a bit different.  I've never heard of putting carrots in the tomato sauce for lasagna or spaghetti.  I know in a lot of processed food carrots are used as filler because they are cheap.  https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/classic-lasagna.html

1638724530_lasagna2.thumb.jpg.b007dde6fd7dc6ec41d9d64c9cf815b1.jpg

This next one isn't a classic lasagna, it is a traditional lasagna.  At least it doesn't put carrots in the sauce.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/traditional-lasagna/

243044377_lasagna3.thumb.jpg.fadad811f30a718bfb9279e003dc8066.jpg

And, we have one more to choose from.  Subtle differences, but sometimes they make a big difference!  https://themodernproper.com/classic-lasagna-recipe

399301759_Lasagna4.thumb.jpg.9331ba45f4cd2fa6dc3fe2fc3faed4cb.jpg

I hope one of these finds its way to your table soon!   And, if it does, please invite me!  

Healing thoughts to our ailing Dailyites.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning! It was interesting watching the Super Bowl in Spanish but missed the commercials.

It’s going to be a beautiful last day in Cancun and we will do our usual poolside relaxation.

Saw a cruise ships light this morning so I waved to Sandi!

Off to my lounger to laze and enjoy the day.

Thanks to all who are filling in and prayers for those in need.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 12

I have enough names already, but do you remember my comment a while ago about being addressed by cruise staff  as "Mr. Paul"? On the last Bermuda Triangle cruise, the cabin steward promoted me to "Sir Paul."

It's my office computer that most needs cleaning out, but I can't do that while quarantined at home.

Today is my last day on Paxlovid. The folks at the RSV vaccine trail wanted swabs even though they knew I had covid, and are sending a courier to pick them up. My idea of a no-contact pickup was to tape the sealed bag containing the vials containing the swabs to the door, but theirs is that the driver isn't allowed to touch the bag, so I will have to go to the door and drop it into a container myself, which seems like more risk to the driver.

628224740_BCtimes.jpg.1e2e39f16ccfc9354a2eca8f95619552.jpg

• Like 29

1 minute ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and general info.

It’s get a different name day. Any suggestions?

OK, I will let you know my real name; Red Bobneck. 😀

I was standing in line to board on a recent cruise and started talking to man next to me. He introduced himself and he said you won’t believe this but my last name is Butt and yup mom & dad named me Harry Butt!😃

• Like 6
  • Haha 18

Good morning. It will go up to almost 60 later but was still cool enough for the big coat on the early morning dog walk.

I will keep my name but understand the concept. My mom gave us Swedish middle names and I almost wish she had gone with those for a first name.. It was the fifties with a lot of conformity. My DGD got the Swedish name!

Lasagna makes everyone very happy here but today they will make do with left over chili.We have been to the port and went to Monet’s garden that day. I even have pictures I can access.

DH was very happy watching the football. I tried to keep him company but it is not my cup of tea, Tana and I watched the latest Vera and enjoyed that. @grapau27, Graham, I always think of you when I see that  beautiful scenery.

Today we have to get Tana to the pulmonologist in the city. We are using an ambulette service where they assured me they could get her safely up and down our 18 steps. Our neighbor is having health issues of his own and I didn’t want to ask him. I am going with her to manage the oxygen and transfers to and from the wheelchair.

Pictures of Monet’s Garden.

BF39DF75-7337-4140-A29C-C8392EF267CF.jpeg

87FD9073-C157-449C-B50A-C5FC87412CD6.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

17 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I was standing in line to board on a recent cruise and started talking to man next to me. He introduced himself and he said you won’t believe this but my last name is Butt and yup mom & dad named me Harry Butt!😃

My grandmother went to school with a kid named Harold Dickey... you get the picture..

• Like 10
  • Haha 13

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  On yesterday’s Aldi’s run I picked up two plants much to DH’s delight.  Today’s meal suggestion is a favorite and haven’t had it since November when we were on the NA.  Over the weekend I bought a large pork roast. I cut up some of it for chops later and today I’m cooking it in the crockpot with some sauerkraut, easy meal while I’m working.

We found out who won last night this morning, lights were out at 9.

I hope everyone has a good Monday.

image.png.5394c01ed65211b4f41e0a3371c4d650.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I think I'll clean out our computer by throwing it in the washing machine.  It keeps freezing up on us, requiring restarts, etc.  Frustrating, but I guess that's technology; buy a new one every few years to keep current.  I don't think I'll get a different name; I've had enough over my lifetime already.  My idea of being a good wingman is being the designated driver on a night out.

I like today's quote - and strangely enough, can identify with it quite readily!  

We had a nice dinner last evening at DH's daughter's - breaded pork chops and ravioli with home made marinara sauce.  I contributed a Caesar salad and dessert to the meal.   As I may have mentioned, she's a great cook, and last night did not disappoint.  Re: the SuperBowl - the guys went downstairs and watched the game, while the girls curled up in the living room and watched a couple of movies.  We did take a break to watch the half time show - not my taste, but I wasn't paying for it, so . . .

Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on in our skies ?!?  Seriously, this is getting ridiculous!

Not much happening for us today, just laundry and general housekeeping tasks.  DH wanted us to go out for Valentine's dinner this year, but we both agree it's just a zoo in restaurants on special days, so instead, we're going out tonight.  Our friends who sailed with us on our Caribbean cruise will be joining us as well, which will be nice, as we haven't had the chance to get together since we got home.  I'm not sure what will be on the menu tonight, but I'm sure it will be delicious, especially since someone else is preparing it.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially for the victims of the war in Ukraine and the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.  Cheers to all who have celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 32

Good morning from a cloudy and cool (39F) central Texas.  We're under a wind advisory today, so I guess it's good I'll be staying inside except to put the trash out for pickup.   The not so good part of staying inside is I'll be cleaning house.  😒

Once the house is clean, I need to clean my computer.  In a way, I changed my name after 9/11, when all forms of id, etc., needed to match.  I go by my middle name, but had to add my first name to everything, and it took me awhile to realize people were talking to me when they used my first name.  I'm not sure about national wingman day.

Today's quote is interesting.

We like lasagna, but I haven't made it in several years.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have been to Le Havre twice, once on Noordam III and once on Tahitian Princess.  This is the link to Rich's @richwmn post for Thursday May 19, 2022.  I thought we'd had this as the port of the day more than once, but this was the only one I found.

@0106  Thanks for the beautiful sunrise picture.

@kazu  Jacqui, I loved the memes and the picture of the sign.

@aliaschief  Thanks for the pictures, Bruce.  BTW, years ago I worked as a switchboard operator at the headquarters of HEB grocery company.  HEB stands for the founder, Howard E. Butt.  We also had his two sons, Howard Jr. and Charles plus cousin Dan working in the building.  One day, someone want to speak to Mr. Butt.  When I asked which one as there were four in the building, his answer was "the senior Butt".

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I was also hoping the Eagles wound win, but it was a good game anyway.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you get to talk to a doctor today, and that the x-ray shows the ribs beginning to heal.

@smitty34877  Terri, I hope the pulmonologist doesn't have any surprises for Tana.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad you slept better last night.  Remember, slow and easy until you are completely recoverd.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Finally a morning not having to have room service coffee at 6am.  Ann thank you for starting off our daily reports!  Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Special prayers for Kathi.  

Our adventures continue with me as a solo yesterday. I rode a horse on the Pampas with 6 others on our tour.   It was supposed to be 2 hours riding on dirt roads through the Pampas.  For two of us it was riding an hour and a half and laying in a ditch under a poplar for a half hour waiting for a pickup. I bailed out first and shortly thereafter another lady bailed out. It took more riding to find some shade. Our ride took a half hour to show up but we still beat the other riders back. After I had poured bottled water all over me and then ran my head under cold water did I have the energy to look at AccuWeather, it was 105.  I wish I had taken a screenshot. I drank about 5 glasses of water with a little orange juice before I felt human again. I did put a pretty good dent in the Argentinian BBQ they put in front of us and 2 glasses of Malbec.  While the others swam I saw our minibus running in the shade so I sprawled out on the back seat and slept.  We rode very well mannered retired polo pony mares and were given the opportunity to ride fast if we wanted. I managed to get a good trot going for a hundred feet a couple of times but it got to the point I was just hoping I didn't faint.  My skin was powder white from evaporated sweat. Would I do it again yes but I would bail out if the temperature was going to be over 95 degrees. There was a group from our ship that also took polo lessons and got to play a little and then see a 4 rider match.

Today we have a Tapas and Wine late lunch and a panoramic city tour. 

John started negotiations with Daphne from Guest Services.  With my $1500 credit, the remains of my $1100 deposit and the cancellation of Volunteer Point King Penguins shorex I have $2650 credit.  Seattle doesn't open till much later today so we will see if John can secure us a cabin upgrade on the Eurodam in 2024 in  lieu of a credit I do not need. 

The food on the grill was the leftovers after 25+ people gorged on beef. 

IMG_20230212_145631894.jpg

IMG_20230212_113440820_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230212_102951340.jpg

IMG_20230212_141421246.jpg

IMG_20230212_141909061.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4