Volendam

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 08:00 - 23:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 09:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Isle of Skye, Uig-Dunvegan-Armadale-Portree, Scotland 08:00 - 18:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak, Alaska eta 5-02 Crossing International Dateline to Western Hemisphere

image.thumb.png.3d0c01c1c611a210cce3ee9c74a9c050.png

image.thumb.png.cab459177e60aaea7541d3093fd329a6.png

Sandi for Rich

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  I feel like I'm moving in slow motion today.  I was up a little later last night because DH went next door to a men's night out for the NFL draft.  Our neighbor is a brewer and serves his own beer.  I'm sure a good time was had by all but until he came in the door at 11 pm I couldn't get to sleep.  😴  On the weather front we are 59 degrees with a little rain and clouds expected this morning but sunshine and 78 this afternoon.  That may sound warm but our house holds the coolness in so we stay chilly.  Must be well insulated.

Well, thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report this morning!  Rich is in Portree, UK today which is a charming village with colorful buildings lining the semi-circular harbor.  If you walk up the hill to the large church you will have a great view of everything including your ship out in the distance at anchor.  Enjoy!

Today we have selected Clean Comedy Day, Great Poetry Reading Day, and Kiss Your Mate Day.  I'm sure @RedneckBob will be happy to tell you some clean jokes.  Our poetry lovers can do some extra reading today.  And many of us will be happy to kiss our mates.  Another good quote from Albert Einstein.  And as for this day in history, Claude Grahame-White must have been brave to attempt a night flight in 1910.  I'm pretty sure he is no relation to our Graham @grapau27 .😉

The dish today is pumpkin curry which I will pass on.  The drink will be Chee Chee.  Hmmm.  Think I will pass on that, too.  And the wine is a red, a Pinot Noir which I will also skip.🍷  That will leave more for all the red wine lovers.  Let me thank Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for doing all the work on the food and beverages for us.

We also need to thank Eva @superoma for standing in for Vanessa @JazzyV who is I hope not rocking and rolling across the Atlantic!   On the Care list I want to say some prayers for all on that long list and hope our surgery people are doing well.  We haven't heard back from Brenda @bennybear yet, have we?  I hope she is doing okay.  🙏  Many prayers to Annie @marshhawk and Chuck on this sad day for them.  Blessings to you both!  And I just read that our friend @St Pete Cruiser is in a hospital in Hilo, Hawaii instead of finishing his Noordam cruise due to being bitten by a venomous spider!  What a terrible way to suddenly end a cruise!  We send our best wishes for a full recovery and are grateful you are in a US hospital instead of somewhere in the South Pacific.  🙏

We also want to say congratulations to those celebrating and cruising.  Have a wonderful time friends!🚢🎉

The port of the day is Kirkwall, Orkney Island, Scotland.  It's a destination we've never been able to get to somehow so my winning streak is ending today.  Two weeks is long enough to subject you all to my photos!  We have had that port before on October 12, 2021 and October 18, 2022.  I'll post the links for those who want to grab their photos and post them today.  Thank you in advance for doing that by the way!

Time to do the treadmill now.  Wishing you all a safe and happy Friday!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Chee Chee cocktail:

Ingredients

1 1/2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 Blood Orange, Slice
1 Amarena Cherry
1/2 part Marsala, Dry
1/4 part Averna® Amaro

Instructions

Muddle the blood orange slice with the cherry in a shaker. Add the Makers Mark® Bourbon, marsala and Averna® Amaro. Add ice and shake vigorously. Serve neat in a glass or over ice.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 5.56.46 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report. 

Cool and cloudy here this morning, with rain in the forecast for this afternoon.

A great collection of days.  I hope there will be lots of clean comedy shared today (and everyday).  I will kiss my mate today, several times in fact.  I haven't read poetry in years, I should do it again.

A very good quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink and hope the wine is tasty.

I've never been to the Orkney Islands.  Thanks for the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Friday.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report.  I enjoy all of the clean comedy that is shared here each day.  I don’t really read poetry much but maybe I should start?  I’ll kiss my mate later on.  I may have to be the one person who disagrees with today’s quote, I think that all lives are worthwhile, but I think I get what he’s driving at.  I’ll pass on the meal but I would try the drink.  Unlike @StLouisCruisers, my streak of not having been to today’s port remains unbroken for quite some time.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy Friday!

• Like 29

Happy Friday!  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Very few mates left in my family.  I like clean comedy and great poetry, and have taken a number of night flights.  I love the Einstein quote but will pass on the curry.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Chicken Parmigiano, and Postachio Gelato as served in Nieuw Statendam's Canaletto April 28, 2019.

dishes28.jpg

Today looks mostly like a washout, and I'll leave fairly soon for Wegmans and then hunker down for most of the day.

Eva, do you think Father David's Pilgramage should go on the celebration list?

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Good Friday morning! Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

It will be cool and rainy here. 

Today I have a chiropractor appointment and a dentist appointment.

30 days out for the cruise. Going to start packing. It will be here before I know it. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 28

Good morning.It is cloudy and 50 with a whole lot of rain coming in the next few days.I will gladly kiss my mate,like poetry and although I enjoy clean comedy I also appreciate  the not so clean.We have not been to the port.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

Sandi & Rich, thank you for today’s R & D! Lots of wild T-storms last night. But no hail! I think my new plants are safely established!

Eva, thank you for tracking all our happenings!  @dfish, Debbie congratulate Sue on her retirement for me! I love how she ended her career! 

Just one gym class, chores, yard work, Bindi walks, and salad prep for tomorrow for me today. Possibly more T-storms, so I best get moving. 

IMG_1249.jpeg.bb91d86a032724e084a2169e4cc2bd1a.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg.ebb6c36c994b7b0746bcb29f5bbae8bd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Thinking of you @bennybear

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Rangi Pinot Noir Martinborough 2020

Well this elusive Pinot Noir sounds interesting. I hope our New Zealand and Australian readers are enjoying these elusive wines. I did find a distributor who would ship a case of the 2019 vintage to me for $521.99. But I did not find any for the 2020 vintage. If you live in Australia, I found an online distributor offering it for $43.99. You might be able to find it for an even better price. 

Cameron Douglas notes

There’s no mistaking the purity of fruit at the center of the bouquet - red cherries and ripe sweet plum, some raspberry and baked strawberry suggestions. Oak layers in some complexity and spice and the varietal signature is enhanced by a fine layer of mineral silty soil scents. Taut and youthful on the palate with a core of red berry fruit flavours, plums and tart strawberry. Tannins and acidity accentuate the youthful mouthfeel adding foundation structure and power. While drinkable today I suggest you cellar this wine till late 2023 and try again. Excellent drinking from early 2024 through 2030+.

94 Points

Excellent

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

In celebration of Clean Comedy and Great Poetry Reading Day…IMG_7333.jpeg.856306b5f2dc165f3f806b249429af2b.jpeg

IMG_7334.jpeg.4bee091a0ad7a5da8473a667631c6a0a.jpeg

And because Edgar Allan Poe is buried in Baltimore and Lamar Jackson final signed a contract.

IMG_7335.jpeg.a0aee196356785f34df3b587b69e5dda.jpeg

I will happily kiss my mate today.  

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising

• Like 26
  • Haha 7

On clean comedy day, I was going to tell a joke about the Australian who kissed his mate, but I can't because a fight broke out in the bar right after he did that.  Maybe I should write a limerick about that so I can cover poetry day as well.

• Like 20
  • Haha 10

Good Morning from a warm and cloudy day at the beach

Wild storms last evening. Tornado warnings with sightings in Merritt Island and 528 in Cape Canaveral. Waterspout on the ocean. The MSC Seacrest had just left port and you could not even see the ship going across the bay. I was worried and said some quick prayers.  Expecting more today.  Really crazy for this time of year.

Looks like several people need a few extra prayers today.  

I have a library board meeting at noon and it is for next years budget. Will be interesting.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 31

Thank you Sandi, thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

A rainy day today and the same predicted for Sunday. Lily's mom ☺️ (my younger daughter) called to see if they could borrow my Outback Saturday. They bought an easy chair from Habitat for Humanity and need to bring it home. I love having them nearby.  Just what father's are for!

We will be calling at Kirkwall this September on our MSC cruise. Looking forward to it.

Stay Safe, and Have a Great Weekend!

- Jack

• Like 30

Friday April 28 care and celebration list

Roy recovering from pneumonia and getting stronger

Jodiesme1 mother and Her DH with Covid in Guatemala 

Mamaofami’s dh with pneumonia but improving

Praying for continued healing for cruising sister

Lazey1 getting colitis flair under control before cruise

Marshhawks Irving crossing the rainbow bridge

Cruising sister toe issues needing to clear before cruise

Cruzn single stepson with melanoma and other issues

Bennybear recuperating

Kazu recuperating

Cruzn single recuperating 

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

St Pete cruise in Hawaiian hospital

RIP Jerry Springer

Too many shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

Evacuees from Sudan 

From the rotation:

Marshhawk ‘s leg and feet cramps

Grapau27 needing hip surgery for arthritis 

Atexsix DF working on getting mobile

Hoping for placement closer to home for Luvteaching’s DH

Celebrations

Rafinmd’s good report from the Oncologist, Podiatrist and Pulmonologist

Vict0riann’s week in Ireland

Cruzn single stepson with successful non cancerous tumour removal

NextOne not needing any procedures, July cruise is on!

Luvteaching DH making progress on mobility

Dobiemom extending her sleeping to 6+ hours

Dfish DS retiring and moving in!

Fleet week in Fort Lauderdale

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Welcome back aliaschief & DWAliaschief and 

Kplady 

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

2 days Lobsternight anniversary cruise and vow renewal (Nieuw Amsterdam 4/30 to 5/7)

4 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 5/1 to 5/6)

4 days Cruising-along (Koningsdam 5/1 to 5/6)

5 days Lazey1 (Volendam 5/2 to 5/10)

5 days Sharon in az (volendam 5/2 to 5/10)(5/10 to 5/17) 

Cruising

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), 

Oceansaway17 (Vision of the Seas to 5/1)

Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas to 5/1)

St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), 

TiogaCruiser (Volendam to 5/2), 

Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), AV8rix (Volendam to 5/6), 

Dismomx5 (Volendam to 5/6), 

USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), 

Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12), 

Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

Jazzyv cruise (celebrity apex) and vacation to 5/28

• Like 24
  • Thanks 16

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I feel like I'm moving in slow motion today.  I was up a little later last night because DH went next door to a men's night out for the NFL draft.  Our neighbor is a brewer and serves his own beer.  I'm sure a good time was had by all but until he came in the door at 11 pm I couldn't get to sleep.  😴  On the weather front we are 59 degrees with a little rain and clouds expected this morning but sunshine and 78 this afternoon.  That may sound warm but our house holds the coolness in so we stay chilly.  Must be well insulated.

Well, thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report this morning!  Rich is in Portree, UK today which is a charming village with colorful buildings lining the semi-circular harbor.  If you walk up the hill to the large church you will have a great view of everything including your ship out in the distance at anchor.  Enjoy!

Today we have selected Clean Comedy Day, Great Poetry Reading Day, and Kiss Your Mate Day.  I'm sure @RedneckBob will be happy to tell you some clean jokes.  Our poetry lovers can do some extra reading today.  And many of us will be happy to kiss our mates.  Another good quote from Albert Einstein.  And as for this day in history, Claude Grahame-White must have been brave to attempt a night flight in 1910.  I'm pretty sure he is no relation to our Graham @grapau27 .😉

The dish today is pumpkin curry which I will pass on.  The drink will be Chee Chee.  Hmmm.  Think I will pass on that, too.  And the wine is a red, a Pinot Noir which I will also skip.🍷  That will leave more for all the red wine lovers.  Let me thank Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for doing all the work on the food and beverages for us.

We also need to thank Eva @superoma for standing in for Vanessa @JazzyV who is I hope not rocking and rolling across the Atlantic!   On the Care list I want to say some prayers for all on that long list and hope our surgery people are doing well.  We haven't heard back from Brenda @bennybear yet, have we?  I hope she is doing okay.  🙏  Many prayers to Annie @marshhawk and Chuck on this sad day for them.  Blessings to you both!  And I just read that our friend @St Pete Cruiser is in a hospital in Hilo, Hawaii instead of finishing his Noordam cruise due to being bitten by a venomous spider!  What a terrible way to suddenly end a cruise!  We send our best wishes for a full recovery and are grateful you are in a US hospital instead of somewhere in the South Pacific.  🙏

We also want to say congratulations to those celebrating and cruising.  Have a wonderful time friends!🚢🎉

The port of the day is Kirkwall, Orkney Island, Scotland.  It's a destination we've never been able to get to somehow so my winning streak is ending today.  Two weeks is long enough to subject you all to my photos!  We have had that port before on October 12, 2021 and October 18, 2022.  I'll post the links for those who want to grab their photos and post them today.  Thank you in advance for doing that by the way!

Time to do the treadmill now.  Wishing you all a safe and happy Friday!

Oh no SLC. I picked the wrong day to take a day off! 😀

Do you consider that a clean joke?

• Like 10
  • Haha 9

Sorry everyone, late again. This morning I had an early appointment for a fasting blood draw and it always takes longer than expected. All the fasting people go for 7 am just so they can finally eat breakfast, which I will do now! Cold and rainy today. Will check in later

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the locations of the Holland America Line fleet, and all the daily information.

There’s a couple of clean comedians I like: Henry Cho and Tim Hawkins. I’ve seen both in person a few times. 

I think I jinxed myself when I mention my good sleep the other day. 🫤

Thanks to all for caring and sharing.  Hugs and prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.  Cheers 🎉👏 for all the celebrations.

• Like 30

Good morning all,

There is rain  in the forecast today. I will be forced to stay home and get organized. Things are scattered everywhere with my packing and unpacking. I am taking the larger suitcase. I had planned on bringing a second suitcase anyway.  It will just be a larger one.  I get in my head thinking I only need a carryon. I don’t enjoy washing out clothes daily on my cruise. My sister is one of them that does. I think she could travel with a ziplock bag. 

DGS did ok after extra tooth pulled yesterday. It was the strangest looking tooth. He cried a bit when he started getting feeling back in his mouth. He did not like the nerve zings as it woke up.  Gma spoiled him and we had a great day. 

Prayers and Happy Sailings. Have a great day. 

• Like 33

9 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Oh no SLC. I picked the wrong day to take a day off! 😀

Do you consider that a clean joke?

Ok, here it is. I maybe pressing the envelope.

You might be a Redneck if on laundry day you walk around naked.

• Like 10
  • Haha 14

Good morning, everyone!

It is 42F and cloudy right now.  It should stay dry for the morning walk, but rain comes in this afternoon. DS Mary Jo and I are going to a quilt show this afternoon at the Center for the Arts.  I'm excited.  I love to look at them and get ideas.  

Tonight is Farkle Friday.  We had a break while DB Bill and his wife were in Florida visiting their daughter.  But, now the routine continues.  We won't be having Pumpkin Curry for dinner.  That sounds like it should be filed away for next fall.  I might like it then.  Tonight we are having another family favoritie - scalloped potatoes and pork chops.  

Yellow curry, also known as gaeng garee, is a Thai curry with Indian influence (source). It typically includes spices such as turmeric, cumin, and coriander.

Turmeric is what gives yellow curry its vibrant color. This magical spice has been used in India for nearly 4,000 years and has gained popularity throughout the world in part due to its vast medicinal uses.  

Turmeric and its components, including curcumin, have been the subject of scientific studies.

“Some research results show that people who have osteoarthritis reported less joint pain when eating turmeric in recipes,” Brown says. “Turmeric’s effect on mood disorders, depression and dementia have also been explored, but studies are small, so more research will reveal if there is a benefit.”

In addition to these conditions, research studies have shown some possible benefits of turmeric for:

Inflammation

Degenerative eye conditions

Metabolic syndrome

Arthritis

Hyperlipidemia (cholesterol in the blood)

Anxiety

Muscle soreness after exercise

Kidney health

You can read the whole article from Johns Hopkins here:  https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/turmeric-benefits

Ok, back to our curry.   I would probably like it as I like all the ingredients.  But, it would have to come in small portions due to carbs and such.   https://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-pumpkin-yellow-curry/

PumpkinCurry1.thumb.jpg.c1ec7485103c74319cff337382663474.jpg

This next one is a bit more involved, but it may be worth the extra effort.  https://allwaysdelicious.com/thai-pumpkin-curry/PumpkinCurry2.thumb.jpg.b769d86b283b8a4770f373abb4c5bba5.jpg

I like this one with the chunks of pumpkin in it.  https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/pumpkin-curry-recipe/

PumpkinCurry3.thumb.jpg.80691c96c23b96d8a9a10ed64b29d25b.jpg

Hoping we hear from @bennybear today and that the surgery went well.   

Healing thoughts and hugs out to @St Pete Cruiser.   Warm wishes that his recovery from the venomous spider bite is quick.

@cruising sister It sounds like Grandma did just what Grandma is supposed to do.  Was ice cream on the menu?   That was my meal after I had a tooth extracted.  

Special hugs to @marshhawk as she and Chuck have a difficult day ahead.   

@superoma Eva, thank you for including Sue in the celebration list.  I think that celebration will go on for quite some time.  You are doing a fantastic job with the Care and Celebration lists.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 11