The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 30th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Meteor Day, National Handshake Day, and National Organization for Women Day

Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about. - Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Halibut Niçoise with Market Vegetables
Drink of the Day - Smashin Passion
Wine of the Day - Martinborough Vineyard Pinot Noir Martinborough Home Block 2020
Destination of the Day - Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada

Today in History:
1860 Famous debate on Charles Darwin's theory of evolution held at the Oxford University Museum and dominated by arguments between Thomas Henry Huxley and Bishop Samuel Wilberforce

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:30

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 7-01

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland eta 7-01

Volendam

Tracy Arm Fjord/Juneai, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Inverness, Scotland 0900-2000

0630World.thumb.png.11168d20707ce5502ba9720f9bbd79e8.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care list:

The passing of Luvteaching’s DH Phil on 6/27

Smitty34877’s DH recovering from surgery

Cruising sister’s newborn great niece Murphy with transposition of the great vessels, undergoing surgery 7/6

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck (catmando) with a cancer recurrence

Seasick Sailor’s DH with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Loss of crew and passengers in the Titan submersible 

Canadian wildfires, unhealthy air quality for many 

Tornado victims and those with dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis and a fall

JazzyV’s friend Ruth entering hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 75th Birthday smitty34877’s DH Lou!

Happy Birthday Bennybear’s DH!

Congratulations kochleffel (Paul) on your Retirement!

Srdancer doing much better

Kochleffel’s new fur babies

Dfish enjoying having River with her for a week

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Cruising/At Sea:

5 days for Loveandpeas (Volendam July 5 to July 12), celebrating 16th honeymoon anniversary

Oceansaway17 (Liberty of the Seas to July 8), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 18

Thank you for the Daily, Care List, and recipes, port photos and stories to come.

Prayers to all on our Care list, and all in need

Cheers to those with good new or celebrations.

Have a great Friday, and share a smile today. 

• Like 22

Good afternoon.

It is currently cloudy and 13°C.

3 interesting days today.

Not sure about today's food and drink.

Prayers 🙏 for all my Dailyite friends who are unwell.

I hope everyone is safe and well and  y'all have a nice day.

Screenshot_20230630_114900.jpg

Screenshot_20230630_114836.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Happy Friday and Canada Day Eve.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Happy Birthday Lou (as happy as it can be while in hospital),  It sure took a long time for Evolution to be accepted.  Not sure about Meteors but I'll celebrate the other 2 days.  Interesting quote by Wilde.  I've been to Charlottetown about 1995 on a land trip and with Blount Small Ship Adventures in 2019 but I don't think ever on a BHB.  I'll pass on the meal today.  My alternative is Fruit Ceviche and Grilled Molasses Lamb Chops which I would have enjoyed on MS Prinsendam June 7, 2015 if I had been in the dining room rather than the Pinnacle Grill.

Still code Red due to smoke so I;ll soon be off to the mall to walk inside.

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A nice mild morning, but chance of thunderstorms later.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'm sure the drink and wine will be tasty too.

We've been to PEI, but not on a cruise.

Prayers for so many on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I hope everyone has a marvelous day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information. Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 🙂 

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, I’m leaning towards pizza tonight.  This morning I’m taking Jasper to the vet to get a blood test to see why he is losing weight.  Hoping it’s an easy cure. I’m off work today so I have a three day weekend.  We’ve been to today’s port and I always enjoy our visits there.  One year we were there for Canada Day and it was fun.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.8b488ef43f3780d336bd9b6512c23c34.png

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

Good morning friends!  It's 69F with a few clouds and some haze.  A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible and a high of 93 again.  Our AQI is 122.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Today I hope not to see a meteor.  I think handshakes are coming back since disappearing during Covid.  And a great day to celebrate women!   I'm not a big fan of fish so will pass on the halibut. 🐟 Like the name of the drink so I wonder what it tastes like?  Another pinot noir for the red wine lovers to enjoy or dream about.  🍷  Interesting day in history with the debate on Darwin's theory of evolution.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard

Prayers today for all on the Care list, especially all the spouses who need our help.  A special prayer for my DB today, and another prayer for my friend's brother Mark who may be able to try a new treatment for his bile duct cancer thanks to a doctor who says he won't give up.  I hope Chuck, Allen and Pat are doing better today as well.  🙏  Cheers to those on the Celebration list and have good reasons to celebrate.  Enjoy your cruises my friends!  🚢  Happy Birthday to Lou, Terry's @smitty34877 DH and I hope he's feeling better today!  Also Happy Birthday to Brenda's @bennybear DH!  Congrats Paul @kochleffel on your official retirement date!  You'll wonder how you ever had time to work once you get the hang of retirement!  🥂🎈🎉  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping our lists for us.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada is our port of the day.  This is the third time for it to be chosen.  First time was Sept. 26, 2021 and second was just this past March 3.  I'll post the links below so you can retrieve your photos.  I wish I'd been in Charlottetown, PEI as we were scheduled to in 2018.  The weather on our New England cruise was not good near Charlottetown and our Captain had to skip it.  That was a major disappointment.  I believe It's scheduled on my Zuiderdam cruise next year so I hope we make it in.

Hoping for a wonderful Friday for everyone!!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report. A nice collection of days, it’s nice to see handshakes returning after Covid rendered them obsolete.  Since I’m just waking up today’s quote is just bouncing off my head!  The meal suggestion sounds great.  I might order the drink at a bar or restaurant.  Charlottetown is a lovely place that we visited in 2013 on the Veendam.  I remember the delicious mussels and the really lovely residents.  Not to forget the Cows ice cream, of course!  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events!

• Like 28

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

No meteors to watch today but I’ll happily celebrate the National Organization for Women Day.  We owe so much to them.  Hand shakes seem rarer these days especially on ships since covid.

I”m scratching my head on the Wilde quote.  I must need more coffee 😉. Looking forward to hearing about the meal & loved our visits to PEI.  Haven’t visited on a BHB (can get there in a very few hours from here) but we have used a ferry to get there (back in the old days).  Frankly, I liked it better than the Confederation Bridge.

More rain again today.  I hope it is not downpours.  My peonies have finally begun to come out and the downpours are going to kill all the petals.  I’m not in the mood to clean up petals if I can’t enjoy the blooms 😔 

IMG_1722.thumb.jpeg.a002479628518931a8612598fdda2381.jpeg

IMG_1723.thumb.jpeg.73ad406ff82a817edf060e47ad93904f.jpeg

There are a lot of them here - it’s one plant the deer don’t eat so they are in the unfenced area as well as the fenced.  DD DH loved them so they are everywhere.

IMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.2ca64c8337a65f957b908f4218fae165.jpeg

IMG_1726.thumb.jpeg.40cf382dc41ba9db023b1329268cb045.jpeg

Less than 100 days before we sail so I had better soon get the name tag & invite factory cranked up.  We have over 125 for our Meet & Greet.  and, I best get some supplies for Ivan & I before Canada Day (ugh).

@smitty34877 happy birthday to Lou.  At least as good of a birthday as possible in the hospital. 😞 

So many on our Care list in need of prayers.  Mine are winging their way to all of you especially @luvteaching whose footsteps I have walked in 💔 & to those that need them.

Cheers to those celebrating 🥂.  

IMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.02369a8c71749206ef50caebac91ae28.jpeg

IMG_1729.thumb.jpeg.66d526288565b659fb50e556c6c1e95f.jpeg

Have a good Friday everyone.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Rich, thank you for today’s R & D! A bit of a marine layer this morning, and that may be why it feels a bit cooler this morning. Yesterday was so hot that my 90+ degree pool water actually felt cool!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping track of all of us. @smitty34877, Terry, praying that Lou’s transfusion takes care of the issue, and that this is the only detour on his road to recovery.  And please wish him Happy Birthday from me. Tell him he gets a birthday wish!

@bennybear Brenda, please tell DH that he gets a birthday wish, too!

@luvteaching, Karen  hope you are able to find peace and rest. 

Gym, yard work, Bindi walks and cleaning & salad prep for the dinner with friends I am hosting. 

Lenda & Joy, this is dedicated to you…

IMG_1443.jpeg.3ba032d55b5b448176f46473b6b5abb7.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg.5205bb7b8376423deee5b9d984865e80.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.  Cheers to all who are celebrating! @kochleffel Paul Happy Retirement day!
Get well & stay well everyone!

Martinborough Vineyard Pinot Noir Martinborough Home Block 2020

Well I found several distributors who ship this New Zealand wine worldwide. The cheapest individual bottle price I found was $44.04 + shipping from a Singapore distributor notes. 

Distributor notes

From 'some of the oldest Pinot Noir vines in New Zealand', the classy 2020 vintage (5*) was matured for a year in French oak casks (22 per cent new). Deeply coloured, it is a mouthfilling, rich red, savoury and complex, with concentrated cherry, plum and spice flavours, very finely integrated oak and ripe, supple tannins. Still youthful, with obvious cellaring, it's well worth cellaring to 2024+.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 2

Good Friday morning everyone!    

Congratulations on your retirement @kochleffel.  You have so many outside of work projects I am sure it will be a rewarding transition. 

@smitty34877  Happy birthday to your DH Lou.   I hope he is recuperating smoothly and hopefully pain free in the hospital. 🎂

@bennybear Happy birthday to your DH! 🍾🎂

We have a beautiful sunny morning.  The rain wasn't quite ready to let go as we had a brief thunderstorm last night. We will be heading out fishing today finally after so much rain.  Our neighbors are up here and my sister and DH is due up here on the 6th with DH, DD and her fiancee.  Rain is due here for the 4th in the afternoon, our neighborhood celebration is on the 8th so I hope Saturday will be dry.  

Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn and @grapau27 thanks for clarification most mornings on the meanings of our days.  August is a good time here to look for meteorites during the Perseid meteor shower but a campfire is necessary to keep the mosquitoes away.  Handshakes are slowly coming back post COVID but better are the hugs.   @summer slope thanks for the tasty cocktail, I would love it as a rare treat on a BHB.  Halibut is hard to buy up here but it probably will be great recipes from Debbie @dfish. @cat shepard probably more research in order for today's vino.  

Vanessa @JazzyV thanks for our Cares and Celebrations reports.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine.   

Have a wonderful Friday!  Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

It has been a hectic week. Having neighbor issues that have resulted in us buying a security system and hiring a surveyor to reset our property markers. Very frustrating indeed. 

Air quality here is a little better but I have been affected with burning eyes and coughing. Preparing for a long holiday weekend which is what can use right now. 

Thinking of all on the care list and celebrating those who are celebrating something. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

I believe the Alaska itineraries for 2025 will be out the end of next week so I am patiently waiting to book my next cruise. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

National Handshake Day sponsored by all the drug companies who want to continue to made billions off the Covid vaccine.

National Meteor Day: Always carry an umbrella just in case a run into some falling meteors! 😀

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

50 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Smashin Passion cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Key Lime Rum
1 part Cruzan® Passion Fruit Rum
2 parts Pineapple Juice
2 parts Orange Juice

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a glass and serve over ice.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 7.03.52 AM.png

I really like the name of this drink. I can get smashed and be passionate at the same time!

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

@bennybear, Happy Birthday  to your DH!

Thank you for the birthday wishes for my DH.We are headed back to the hospital shortly to see him.The blood work this morning is improved from yesterday so we are hoping one transfusion will suffice.He told me last night  that he is very happy to be able to celebrate this milestone even in the hospital.

We have been to PEI twice and rented a car both times. It is a beautiful  place  and I even did an ocean plunge as the water was fairly warm at 70 degrees.And the Cow ice cream was great.

The AQI here is 160.It is overcast and looks quite gloomy outside.

Tana's aide will have the weekend off as usual and we are searching for extra help.DSIL 's lovely sister has offered to help but she is worried  about managing  any equipment  or medical  problems.We are hoping to hear from one of Tana's  nursing  friends today.Fingers

crossed.

@kochleffel, Paul, Happy Retirement Day!I hope the kitties emerge soon from their hiding places.

All the best to all of you!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Not sure if we fell asleep or just lost consciousness after our return home. Managed to sleep until 4:30 so it will take a couple of days to adjust. Bags are getting unpacked, mail has been sorted and some laundry started all without coffee as I prefer cream in my coffee and we have none. Store run is on got to do list.

We prefer fist bumps versus handshakes especially at the beginning of travel. Azamara advertises and all crew practice fist bumps. First time in awhile I haven’t got a sniffle on a cruise.

Lot’s of things we have to get done and one priority is to renew our passports as our present one’s will expire 5 months after our return from World Cruise. Planning for the World Voyage is really picking up now that final payment is due next week. We are paid in full minus 1 cent we have been told!

Good to be back for awhile. Visit to one son and family in August and other son has rented a beach front house at Depot Bay in Oregon in Sept. for two weeks and we are invited.

Thanks for the reports and have a great weekend. @kazu pretty garden as usual.

Bruce

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1