The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 21st, 2023

richwmn

Good morning Dailyites. 

Thank you to all of our loyal contributors. 

Prayers for all involved in flooding/Hilary. Prayers for all on our cares list.

Yes, I'm considered a senior but no way feel like it. I used to laugh when our market automatically put in my senior citizen discount before I was a senior. Now not so much.

No to a cocktail with anything pineapple. I pretty much stick to my pinot grigio and lemon drops, but confess I have a bloody Mary on a BHB. 

Oliver, Shelby and I were feeding the birds this morning and there were 2 scorpions sitting on the birdseed container. I admit to whacking them dead. I know we have quite a few scorpions here, but do not want to put my hand in the bucket and come out with a scorpion hanging on my finger.

Our cleaning helper will be here at 9, we have a breakfast to attend, going to a pet store to check on a new groomer, market, and start dinner for a couple coming for dinner. 

Wishing everyone a great week. Blessings to you!!

• Like 30

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I like Spumoni ice cream or any ice cream for that matter. I appreciate some poetry and sure do appreciate all of us Seniors. Hard to believe sometimes. The quote is a good one and so true.

All is quiet here today and will be heading out to water aerobics shortly.

Hope that everyone in the path of that storm are safe and damage is minimal.

The ocean is really churning today and there are hazard warnings posted. Our sky is blue and no clouds so not sure what is happening.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 29

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  This week is my four 10 hour day work week.  Yesterday I got my cabin assignment and overnight my boarding time was assigned for the Zaandam.  This morning I mostly packed for the cruise.  I think I’ll setup ArrivCan as I read it will make our trip to Montreal easier.  The weekend was full of yard work and Aldi shopping.  Mona kept suggesting that I lay down in bed with her, I did a few times and she curled up beside me.  She’s such a sweet girl.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.80c4cd7030025ffa0c81c88992c277b8.png

• Like 34

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas where it is 81F and feels like 84F already.  It shouldn't be too bad for my walk in a few minutes with a 6 mph breeze, 64% humidity and a dewpoint of 67F.  However, it will be 105F to 107F this afternoon, and the triple digits will continue for at least the next two weeks.  I plan to get my errands run as early as possible.

DH has eaten spumoni before and liked it.  I don't feel like a senior citizen although I am definitely one, and I do enjoy the senior discounts.  😉  I'll honor all poets even though it is not my favorite form of literature.

The John Lennon quote is very true. 

I think I'd like the second recipe today since I could adapt it for both the vegetarians and carnivores in the family.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine might be nice.  It's been a lot of years since we've had a Grenache.

We were in Avalon in March 2022 on Koningsdam.

The adding machine was a game changer until the calculator came along.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your rain lets up for a while.

@GTVCRUISER  Thanks for the great pictures of Avalon. I hope you are safe during the storm.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, whatever you do in Halifax, I hope you have a great day.  A walk along the boardwalk is always nice.  Glad Ren and the team got to see some of Mexico City.

I hope all the Dailyites and their families in the path of Hilary and of the wildfires are safe.

For Senior Citizen Day

366961867_252603754357736_2475266786868792723_n.jpg.50fce078ae529ef2bbe05dd04fe2640b.jpg

367381347_709025211033813_1474650632054373674_n.thumb.jpg.2a3b31d388db9b9c1d1fc509a623736b.jpg

And for laughs

315991374_467801782160114_2867519927512339769_n.jpg.e20f453249bad4852a368ed9feb7d353.jpg

367459110_670669628445184_8220211597341597243_n.jpg.358f9f972fe7e956b534f3d63c36eb80.jpg

365969605_677060874460341_8281537124990183396_n.jpg.02c87471cd740264424cf772a80f595c.jpg

Lenda

Ms Crystal,  I was driving that tractor. I turned my head around and yelled at the driver of the blue car, “Go Ahead, Make My Day”!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  My mom loved spumoni ice cream; once I got used to the little fruit bits, I didn't mind it.  I've never really thought of myself as a senior citizen, but I guess I've been one for a couple of years now.  Poets, like most artists, don't usually make a lot of money, but put their thoughts and emotions into their work for others to enjoy.  After high school, a friend of mine worked for Burroughs Business Machines.

The forecast says 40% chance of rain - well it's raining now and seems to have been raining for some time, by the look of the street out front.  I heard that we could get rain from the remnants of Hillary later this week, so this is just a warm up.  The farmers don't need rain right now, darn it!  

Yesterday was a productive day for me - while DH took it easy, watching tv and napping, I finished a blanket, finished knitting a long sleeved shrug for myself, and sewed 10 gift bags.  Today I can drop the bags off where they will be filled with hygiene essentials and extras such as socks, gloves, toques, etc., to be given to those in need.  And to top it off, while I was finishing my shrug, DH and I watched our Sask. Roughriders win against the CFL's #1 team - woo hoo!

I thought some of you might like this, although I'm sure I'm Cardboard O positive.

Chardonnay.jpg.32fc367ab07939a6dcb26883c5134865.jpg

@Denise Tgood luck to you as you go through your dissertation today!

I like the drink of the day, am pretty sure I'd like the wine, and we haven't had nachos in a very long time.  I've got hamburger patties thawing in the fridge that I thought we could barbecue, but if it's still raining, I won't make DH stand outside to do that, I'll simply cook them in the cast iron pan.  We can enjoy our burgers and coleslaw on the deck tonight (with all the windows closed).  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, particularly those dealing with floods and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 33
  • Haha 5

Good morning. We visited Catalina a couple of years ago on a Nieuw Amsterdam repositioning cruise from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. Always will be a memorable cruise  because we took a lucrative upsell offer and cruised in the Pinnacle Suite.

We have our third appointment at bank today to finish the last step in completing our Living Trust. So far we have not received a cancellation call.🤞

Other than that it’s Monday and laundry day. BIL is still hanging in there so not sure how long this “transition” will take. 
Find out about the biopsy I had done on my leg tomorrow and then I’ll be a bachelor for a week as Sue visits her twin sister in NY state.

Hope all of you in Hillary’s path had no issues other then lakes and reservoirs being replenished.

Thanks for the Fleet Reports and postings. Bruce

image.jpeg.d49f0c370d4813a804d5a33242c7cf7b.jpegimage.jpeg.c0ff2fc7064c8174a2301cfed7988d44.jpegimage.jpeg.7535fe11aea4f35acd815a7e30db2ff8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b75f79e887cd813df1351c456b6032c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.945e505e1fce3769438429badba4d305.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3315a626b564a53c6894a1be4225cf8a.jpegimage.jpeg.62028d2af495f38a30ac76d303bca8af.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 12
  • Haha 26

@Denise T Every Blessing on you and your special day today!  

Three great Days!  I love Spumoni ice cream!  When I lived in Grand Junction I bought a 3-gallon tub of it at the local dairy who made it only once a year. 

Gotta celebrate Seniors!  We’ve made it this far!  And the gift of poetry to grace our lives!  I often use the John Lennon quote, so true. 

Last night I found out some NM  friends are on a very special mission today and I ask your blessings for them. My fire chief and his wife, the medical captain, along with another EMT are taking a dying neighbor from NM to her brother’s home in Bakersfield CA in a rented RV. She (the neighbor) beat stage 4 cancer 5 years ago but is now recently declining in health and suddenly too ill to fly. She just sold her house and made the decision to go to family. The team will drive her today and return immediately.  It’s 900 miles each way, and google tells me they will have to detour around some serious road closures caused by the remnants of Hurricane Hilary so it will be longer and dicey. Please keep Susan and her friends in your thoughts today and tomorrow. 

Catalina is a lovely place to visit. I’ve been there twice, first by sailboat and then on HAL’s Amsterdam. DH grew up in a house overlooking Catalina and went as a kid with friends whose families had boats. The whole island was just evacuated in preparation for the storm yesterday. I hope they can get back to their homes soon. 

Blessings to all on our Care list, thank you Vanessa, and all in need of healing, comfort, guidance, protection or hope. 

Happy celebrations to all with milestones and accomplishments 🎉. Life is Good! 

Smooth travels to all away!  May we all be safe and well to enjoy the blessing of today and each other!  Thank you all for your kind presence here. Thank you Rich for our gathering place. 
Maureen

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is a warm day here but not Texas warm . I just took the dogs walking and we were feeling the heat when we returned home. Spumoni is alright but not a favorite. I am accepting the fact of Senior Citizen status but do not need a day. I will celebrate other senior citizens. I make sheet pan dinners a lot here and have one large sheet pan for my vegetarians….they want no contamination. Yesterday’s shrimp recipe was mighty good,if I do say so myself and it will be made again soon. There were no leftovers!

The flooding and other damage from the California storms is awful to see. I hope our Dailyite’s are ok.Sometimes I am afraid to look  at the weather reports.

Catalina looks like a beautiful place. Thanks for the pictures.

The nurse is arriving in ten minutes and the therapist will be right behind her. The patient is having a tough time so I hope there are some new ideas. I have run out of them.

All the best to all of you

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from a wet SoakCal. It’s looking like the mountains are deserts got a beating. They are expected to get more flooding as water seeks its lowest point.

@Nickelpenny

From KCAL:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tropical-storm-hilary-southern-california-nevada-rain-flooding/

Hilary was the first tropical storm to hit Southern California in 84 years.

It dumped more than half the average annual rain on some desert and mountain areas, including Palm Springs, which saw nearly 3 inches of rain by Sunday evening. Tens of thousands of people across Southern California had no power due to the storm and Palm Springs lost 911 service Sunday night, CBS News Los Angeles reported. The station said Hilary's outskirts were still lingering over greater Los Angeles and battering some regions with heavy rain early Monday morning.”

Parks, schools and beaches are closed in many communities across the south land.”

Have a safe day everyone.

IMG_1760.png

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Good morning again.  It is now 87F and feels like 91F.  Although the weather app says the humidity is 52% and the wind is 8 mph, I didn't feel any wind when I walked or ran errands and it seemed humid too.

@DeniseT  Denise, good luck with your oral defense, but with all your preparations, I'm sure you won't need luck today.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

Thank you to all of our loyal contributors. 

Prayers for all involved in flooding/Hilary. Prayers for all on our cares list.

Yes, I'm considered a senior but no way feel like it. I used to laugh when our market automatically put in my senior citizen discount before I was a senior. Now not so much.

No to a cocktail with anything pineapple. I pretty much stick to my pinot grigio and lemon drops, but confess I have a bloody Mary on a BHB. 

Oliver, Shelby and I were feeding the birds this morning and there were 2 scorpions sitting on the birdseed container. I admit to whacking them dead. I know we have quite a few scorpions here, but do not want to put my hand in the bucket and come out with a scorpion hanging on my finger.

Our cleaning helper will be here at 9, we have a breakfast to attend, going to a pet store to check on a new groomer, market, and start dinner for a couple coming for dinner. 

Wishing everyone a great week. Blessings to you!!

Joy, we have scorpions here and in Quartzsite.  Unfortunately here, they can get in the house.  If DH isn't around and I have be kill them, I beat the you know what out of them with the fly swatter.  Then I wait a few minutes to make sure they are dead, scoop the up with the fly swatter and flush them.

44 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Ms Crystal,  I was driving that tractor. I turned my head around and yelled at the driver of the blue car, “Go Ahead, Make My Day”!

Did they make your day, RNB?  🤣

13 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

@Denise T Every Blessing on you and your special day today!  

Three great Days!  I love Spumoni ice cream!  When I lived in Grand Junction I bought a 3-gallon tub of it at the local dairy who made it only once a year. 

Gotta celebrate Seniors!  We’ve made it this far!  And the gift of poetry to grace our lives!  I often use the John Lennon quote, so true. 

Last night I found out some NM  friends are on a very special mission today and I ask your blessings for them. My fire chief and his wife, the medical captain, along with another EMT are taking a dying neighbor from NM to her brother’s home in Bakersfield CA in a rented RV. She (the neighbor) beat stage 4 cancer 5 years ago but is now recently declining in health and suddenly too ill to fly. She just sold her house and made the decision to go to family. The team will drive her today and return immediately.  It’s 900 miles each way, and google tells me they will have to detour around some serious road closures caused by the remnants of Hurricane Hilary so it will be longer and dicey. Please keep Susan and her friends in your thoughts today and tomorrow. 

Catalina is a lovely place to visit. I’ve been there twice, first by sailboat and then on HAL’s Amsterdam. DH grew up in a house overlooking Catalina and went as a kid with friends whose families had boats. The whole island was just evacuated in preparation for the storm yesterday. I hope they can get back to their homes soon. 

Blessings to all on our Care list, thank you Vanessa, and all in need of healing, comfort, guidance, protection or hope. 

Happy celebrations to all with milestones and accomplishments 🎉. Life is Good! 

Smooth travels to all away!  May we all be safe and well to enjoy the blessing of today and each other!  Thank you all for your kind presence here. Thank you Rich for our gathering place. 
Maureen

Maureen, I will keep Susan and your friends in my thoughts today, as they preform their mission of mercy.  I how they do not have many problems from Hilary.

6 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is a warm day here but not Texas warm . I just took the dogs walking and we were feeling the heat when we returned home. Spumoni is alright but not a favorite. I am accepting the fact of Senior Citizen status but do not need a day. I will celebrate other senior citizens. I make sheet pan dinners a lot here and have one large sheet pan for my vegetarians….they want no contamination. Yesterday’s shrimp recipe was mighty good,if I do say so myself and it will be made again soon. There were no leftovers!

The flooding and other damage from the California storms is awful to see. I hope our Dailyite’s are ok.Sometimes I am afraid to look  at the weather reports.

Catalina looks like a beautiful place. Thanks for the pictures.

The nurse is arriving in ten minutes and the therapist will be right behind her. The patient is having a tough time so I hope there are some new ideas. I have run out of them.

All the best to all of you

Terry, I think the only thing hotter than Texas warm or hot, is Arizona hot.  I'm sorry your DH is still having a tough time.  I hope the nurse and therapist can help with new ideas and foods.  

6 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning from a wet SoakCal. It’s looking like the mountains are deserts got a beating. They are expected to get more flooding as water seeks its lowest point.

From KCAL:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tropical-storm-hilary-southern-california-nevada-rain-flooding/

Thanks for checking in and for the link.  Please stay safe.

Lenda

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Sunny and dry as usual. Current temp is 65ish... high today forecast about 85. Not too bad. Except we need rain. But I look around at what other parts of the country are getting and I realize we have no major complaints.... at least yet.  Dogs and I have walked and I need to start running some errands. Nothing special on the agenda, just lots of little things. As to the days.... I have had spumoni which I remember I liked and I am well into my senior citizen life. I have realized how senior I am as I try to set up my new, upgraded, cell phone. I need to go in search of a 7 year old.

Susa

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  I'm glad to see that other Dailyites fared well with Storm Hilary.  We did, too.  Just a lot of rain for us.  I've been in close touch with our nephew in Rancho Mirage.  He is still sheltering in place, as the desert communities had a lot of flooding -- roads in and out are closed.  Flash floods are a known problem in those communities, so hopefully they will get things taken care of quickly.

Prayers that the rain goes where it is needed.  

The destination of the day, Catalina, is also in the news, having been evacuated.  It's a great port stop.  We used to go there as kids and when I returned via cruise ship, I was very impressed by how lovely it is now, with nice walkways and park areas and inviting restaurants.  It's a unique place.

Wishing everyone a good Monday -- and pleasant week ahead.  ❤️

• Like 29

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Although I love ice cream, I don't like spumoni (although I tried it when I was a kid, so maybe I should try it again). I guess I fall into Senior Citizen's day. I'll salute poets, although I'm not a big poetry fan. True quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Santa Catalina Island. I remember using adding machines in days gone by.

It's more humid today, and going up to 90F later. BFF wants to go out to eat this afternoon; he's been cleaning his house for days, as he's having company from Germany this weekend (same person we stayed with there, and his friend) who will stay 3 weeks. Well, the mosquitos had a feast yesterday while I was working in the shrubs. I have 7 itchy bites on my legs (through my compression stockings!) and 5 on my arms (I put repellent on my arms). I was worried about sleeping through the night from the itchiness, but I did. I put some hydrocortisone cream on so we'll see if that helps.

@Denise T Best of luck today!

@0106 Thanks for the recipes. I've never made nachos at home. 

@kazu I hope your weather improves.

@GTVCRUISER Nice photos.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad the Dallas team got to see some history in Mexico. Enjoy Halifax.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the photos of Catalina Island.

@Seasick Sailor Yikes on scorpions.

@aliaschief Prayers that the biopsy shows nothing of concern. Condolences on the loss of your BIL.

@RMLincoln A very generous thing for the fire captain and others to do for Susan; prayers for their safe travels both ways. 

@smitty34877 I hope the nurse and PT can help Lou.

@TiogaCruiser Thanks for the information. I hope all are safe and no loss of lives.

@AncientWanderer Good to hear you're ok and I hope your nephew will be too.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning again.  It is now 87F and feels like 91F.  Although the weather app says the humidity is 52% and the wind is 8 mph, I didn't feel any wind when I walked or ran errands and it seemed humid too.

@DeniseT  Denise, good luck with your oral defense, but with all your preparations, I'm sure you won't need luck today.

Joy, we have scorpions here and in Quartzsite.  Unfortunately here, they can get in the house.  If DH isn't around and I have be kill them, I beat the you know what out of them with the fly swatter.  Then I wait a few minutes to make sure they are dead, scoop the up with the fly swatter and flush them.

Did they make your day, RNB?  🤣

Maureen, I will keep Susan and your friends in my thoughts today, as they preform their mission of mercy.  I how they do not have many problems from Hilary.

Terry, I think the only thing hotter than Texas warm or hot, is Arizona hot.  I'm sorry your DH is still having a tough time.  I hope the nurse and therapist can help with new ideas and foods.  

Thanks for checking in and for the link.  Please stay safe.

Lenda

Yes, it takes very little to make my day! 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Good morning all!

I like Spumoni ice cream, will salute poets and am definitely a senior citizen.  Funny, I don't mind that term, but it's like fingernails on a chalk board when I hear the word "elderly".  I had a discussion with friends the other day about that.  There's just something about that word that I don't like -- especially when they refer to someone on the news as "elderly" and you find out the person is 55!  🤣  I always think of elderly as at least 15 years older than the age I am now.  😉 Last night we were watching a show and they referred to a 92-year-old man as elderly.  We looked at each other and said "now that's ok, he's elderly!)  

I miss John Lennon, good quote.  The meal sounds good for today -- I printed off the first recipe and will make it tonight (minus the cilantro).  I have most of the ingredients already.  The drink sounds good too, will pass on the red wine.  We were in Avalon in 2014 on a Pacific Coastal cruise.  We walked around a bit and took a ride on the glass bottom boat.

The air here is definitely smokier than earlier yesterday. 😞  The air quality is "moderate" so we're keeping the windows closed and staying in as much as possible.  

Thinking of our Daily friends in Southern CA -- stay safe!  We just told DS and DDIL that we're thankful they moved north and they agreed they're happy they did.  @TiogaCruiser thank you for the reports.  @AncientWanderer I'm glad you checked in and are ok!

@DeniseT thinking of you today as you do your oral defense, you'll do great!

@smitty34877 I hope the nurse and therapist can help Lou.  It's difficult, I know.  Hugs!

Avalon -- a beautiful day.

The casino

Avaloncasino.thumb.jpg.152574544b8d70f7f9c1e351f53a6ef3.jpg

Avalon2.thumb.jpg.02ec39673a4cae05f539e1f30216c232.jpg

Avalon3.jpg.789aa65192f699eb76a679062548e37c.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Gift Cards - Kroger vs AARP

I generally buy gift cards from the AARP web site now, but have been buying some from Kroger since they started selling them a couple of years ago. In July I had purchased my limit of 5 AARP gift cards and noticed that Kroger also sold Delta gift cards. I purchased $1K in Delta gift cards on a 2x day and have received $60 off on gas purchases this month. Not quite as good as AARP, but still nice. This month I managed to get a $500 gift card on a 4X day, so the same number of fuel points and I expect to duplicate the $60 savings on fuel next month so a little better than AARP.

Every little bit helps!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

One thing about being a senior citizen (are younger people "junior citizens"?) is that I remember things that happened so long ago.  My memory of Catalina is when our ship was there in 1959 or 1960.  It was a seaplane tender conducting seaplane operations near the island.  A sailor needed an emergency operation, so we cleared the seaplane deck so a helicopter could take him to the Naval Hospital in San Diego.  He was in a stretcher strapped in to the copter and the pilot took off at an angle.  The rotor just touched part of the ship, disintegrated,  and the copter dropped over the side of the ship and sank.  The pilot and corpsman on board were able to swim away, but we lost the sailor.

When I think of mechanical calculators,  I remember when Boeing used to have a store to sell their surplus items.  Great for things like screwdrivers with 16" handles, scratched safety glasses, etc.  They were phasing out mechanical adding calculators and selling them for $1. each.  Loving things mechanical, I bought three to take home and take apart, keeping the screws, nuts, shafts and wheels.  That was about 30 years ago and I still have some of the parts.  Never did find a use for them...

Ray

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone. Yes, it's Monday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

It is another hot one today here. I love making meals in sheet pans. They are so easy to use. 

Thank you all for the well wishes. I have successfully defended my dissertation proposal! The nerves were real, and I was able to get through it. Thank goodness it was virtual. My proposal has been approved and now I am waiting for approval from the Institutional Review Board so I can begin data collection. An amusing moment was when the doorbell rand and Fancy started barking. I just ignored that and forged ahead. This is a huge relief and just one more step closer to finishing. 

Thinking of all on the care list especially those in the path of Hurricane Hillary and those still recovering in Maui. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Everyone, have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

G

365969605_677060874460341_8281537124990183396_n.jpg.02c87471cd740264424cf772a80f595c.jpg

Lenda

There has to be some old English roadster fans out there.

Is that a Bug-Eyed Sprite?

The more I look at it, the less I think it is.

So, what is it?

• Like 14