The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 25th, 2023

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No kissing here today. I haven't had a banana split in ages, but just bought bananas and some ice cream. The National Park Service is vital to the parks and to all the park visitors. The meal sounds good, pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Keelung. Galileo advanced science immensely.

We had strong lightning, thunder and pouring rain at about 12:15 AM and got about 2.5" total overnight. A tornado nearby with power outages and trees down. It's very humid now. I woke up this morning with some strange pain on the side of my knee; it wasn't the joint, but muscle, although not tender to touch. I had trouble putting weight on that leg and it was hard driving to PT. I couldn't do all my exercises, but was hoping that working the leg would help. At the end I had them put heat not only on my back, but the leg too, and that helped a lot. Always something!

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. I call it re-entry burn when coming back from vacation. Great photos from Keelung and surrounding areas, and so nice to have that connection there.

@0106 You've done a marvelous job with the daily meals in Debbie's absence!

@puppycanducruise Sad news about that truck driver.

@marshhawk I hope your appointment with the Endo went well. I hope Chuck is feeling better soon.

@kazu Ivan sounds like such a good boy!

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for the family as you navigate all your issues.

@Haljo1935 I will add you to the Care List. I hope the appointment today went well. And I hope you get all those cruises in.

@Nickelpenny I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the subbing. Sorry you didn't qualify for the knee study.

@ger_77 Yay on the negative colon test. What a deal on the pork loin; I was just looking at chops in the grocery and left them there. I hope the new front door is perfect.

@HAL4NOW Thanks for sharing pictures from your cruise.

@RMLincoln I hope you get to kayak.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos from Keelung and Taipei. Good job on the air fryer and oven. I tend not to cook things that will splatter in my Breville countertop oven because I don't want to clean it (I use an old egg shaped air fryer for that). My big oven is self-cleaning (my first) but I haven't done that as I heard it's bad for the oven? I need to clean it manually I guess.

@aliaschief None of us want to see Jim Cantore in our towns!

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to see you back. I hope your appointment at Mayo goes well. And that the floor guy shows up when he's supposed to. 

@Cruising-along We had stink bugs for a few years, then they seem to have faded away. But now we have the awful spotted lantern fly invasion. There are photos from certain parts of town where buildings have hundreds on them. They like my brown garage and back doors, so I have to keep the broom at the ready. They destroy crops and some trees. Our area is "quarantined" so you're supposed to check your car so you don't transport them if traveling.

@bennybear  Good to hear that DD and family made it home safely. I used to have foxglove, but it eventually didn't make it. I should get more.

@sailingdutchy Great photos, Tony.

@USN59-79 Thanks for the correction about Taiwan.

@grapau27 Those HAL cruises from Dover look interesting.

@Live4cruises So sorry to hear of your DH's fall, rib fractures and gash on the forehead. And oh my on needing a chest tube! Prayers for his quick recovery and I hope he's home soon.

Prayers for our Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 15

35 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a hot central Texas.  When I came in to check on the daily about about 30 minutes ago, the thermometer said it was 107F, and it's not even the hotest part of the afternoon yet. 

I got ambitious today and decided to tackle a job I've been putting off for months, cleaning the oven and the air fryer.  The oven had never been cleaned, but until 2020, I'd always cooked things that splattered in the roaster, so it wasn't too bad.  While I always wipe out the air fryer with hot water after using it, quite a bit of grease had built up in three years, mostly from the Cornish game hens I cook using the rotisserie.  I found a spray cleaner which foams and dissolves the grease.  It's a little messy, but works pretty well except for the really baked on grease.  Both the air fryer and the oven look much better, and the racks in the air fryer are shinny again, so I'm pleased.  However, it was a bigger job than I expected.  We do have a self-cleaning oven here and in Quartzsite, but it is too hot to use that feature now.  Besides, the smell can be quite intense.

Terri, I'm glad your internet is back, and that you have a date to have the floors replaced.  Let's hope that is the end of the problems.

Graham, I'm glad  you will have a chance to try a BHB beauty in a couple of years.  

Brenda, I'm glad your DD and her family made it back home safely.

RNB, I hope you are spared impact from the storm, but glad you have the house ready just in case.  Stay safe.

I am sorry your DH fell and broke four ribs and got a gash on his head.  I hope he can come home soon, and that he has a quick recovery and as pain free as possible with broken ribs.

@USN59-79  Ray, I don't think you are being nit picky on the incorrect names for Taiwan and Ukraine.  Just because China and Russia want to claim them, doesn't mean they are part of those countries. 

BTW, today is Ukraine's Independence Day.  The got their independence from Russia 31 years ago in 1991.  

Lenda

Thanks Ms Crystal

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh dam and double dam.  Those things are awful.  I believe your technique is the only one that works to get rid of those awful things.  Keep at it and may your peppers be very flavourful after all this work.

Thank you Jacqui, they are awful indeed.  I'm out there several times a day with my squirt bottle. 😉  

Ivan and I say you can have them all.  Dam things.  He barks at them when he sees them beyond our fence.

Stupid things destroyed my liatris out front.  It’s the one plant that has always been deer proof.  Not this year 😡 

Oh, I'd be so upset.  I love my Liatris.  I can happily say I don't have any problem with deer, this was our DD's yard.  I know the damage they can do. 😞  

30 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along We had stink bugs for a few years, then they seem to have faded away. But now we have the awful spotted lantern fly invasion. There are photos from certain parts of town where buildings have hundreds on them. They like my brown garage and back doors, so I have to keep the broom at the ready. They destroy crops and some trees. Our area is "quarantined" so you're supposed to check your car so you don't transport them if traveling.

I'm ready for them to fade away from here!  I think they've come from the east coast because that's where Wikipedia says they are -- and yet they're a problem here for the first time -- rats!  And I sure hope we don't get the spotted lantern fly next, ugh!  😲

• Like 14

Good afternoon everyone, 

It's a very smokey day here and it hasn't reached 70 degrees yet. It's supposed to be close to 80 today but I don't think that's going to happen. Now the weekend is supposed to be up closer to 90 so we'll see. 

Today has been a morning of errand running, banking, getting corn at the corn stand, and a few other stops. The line-ups at Costco just getting into the parking lot were long! Once inside it wasn't too bad at all. I only needed a few things so I got in and out fairly quickly. I'm home for another 15 minutes then back into town for PT at 2:40. Once that's done I'll be home before 4 and can relax!

Have a nice afternoon!

Karen

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

The temp is 96 but I'm staying inside!  We went grocery shopping this morning and it sure was hot out.  We leave the garage door open in the summer when we pull the cars in and try to let some of that engine heat dissipate during the day but with temps like this, forget it!  I put a thermometer in the garage this afternoon and it was 93 in there but I see at 5 pm the temp dropped to 91 so we closed the door.  

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

Please add me to the list of Dailyites whose DH has health concerns. Mine fell on Sunday, and is now the host to four broken ribs and a gash on the forehead. We’re still in the hospital, but expecting to go home today or tomorrow. Fortunately no concussion, but he had a chest tube for several days, and is quite bruised. As others, he has displayed a dramatic streak, but is generally a cooperative and motivated patient. 
it has been an experience - one that I didn’t think we really needed. 
Thank you all

How awful!  I do hope he is out of the hospital soon and completely recovered before too long.  Sounds pretty serious with the chest tube and all.  Take care of yourself during this time of stress.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm ready for them to fade away from here!  I think they've come from the east coast because that's where Wikipedia says they are -- and yet they're a problem here for the first time -- rats!  And I sure hope we don't get the spotted lantern fly next, ugh!  😲

Careful with you words.  They don’t come from this East Coast 😉  We don’t have them - I sure hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

I hope they do fade away but fair warning - once the lily beetles got here they never faded away.  It’s a battle every year and I try to prevent the hatching but it’s an endless task.  We never had them until they arrived. 

No idea where they came from- I thought they were lady bugs originally but nope - no dots on them.  They are insidious.  Stay with it and if you can get rid of all the stink bugs, maybe you will lick them 🤞 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

Please add me to the list of Dailyites whose DH has health concerns. Mine fell on Sunday, and is now the host to four broken ribs and a gash on the forehead. We’re still in the hospital, but expecting to go home today or tomorrow. Fortunately no concussion, but he had a chest tube for several days, and is quite bruised. As others, he has displayed a dramatic streak, but is generally a cooperative and motivated patient. 
it has been an experience - one that I didn’t think we really needed. 
Thank you all

Hope he will be well on the way to recovery shortly. Falling is something we all seem to be doing these days and it can be pretty painful. Glad the injuries were not worse.....I am sure he feels they are bad enough.

Susan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

@Live4cruises Disturbing to hear of your DH’s fall. I had a fall earlier this year on a cruise. I was so fortunate that I didn’t have some serious injury. Let him know that some strangers care and are praying for him.

Many of us need to be really alert while walking and always use a hand on a support rail or bannister. Bruce

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

@Live4cruises Disturbing to hear of your DH’s fall. I had a fall earlier this year on a cruise. I was so fortunate that I didn’t have some serious injury. Let him know that some strangers care and are praying for him.

Many of us need to be really alert while walking and always use a hand on a support rail or bannister. Bruce

..... and I might add to that - never do anything else while walking. Don't fool with a camera, or look around at something. If eyes are not on the ground, don't move. At least that is what I have found after crashing several times while distracted.

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a hot central Texas.  When I came in to check on the daily about about 30 minutes ago, the thermometer said it was 107F, and it's not even the hotest part of the afternoon yet. 

I got ambitious today and decided to tackle a job I've been putting off for months, cleaning the oven and the air fryer.  The oven had never been cleaned, but until 2020, I'd always cooked things that splattered in the roaster, so it wasn't too bad.  While I always wipe out the air fryer with hot water after using it, quite a bit of grease had built up in three years, mostly from the Cornish game hens I cook using the rotisserie.  I found a spray cleaner which foams and dissolves the grease.  It's a little messy, but works pretty well except for the really baked on grease.  Both the air fryer and the oven look much better, and the racks in the air fryer are shinny again, so I'm pleased.  However, it was a bigger job than I expected.  We do have a self-cleaning oven here and in Quartzsite, but it is too hot to use that feature now.  Besides, the smell can be quite intense.

Terri, I'm glad your internet is back, and that you have a date to have the floors replaced.  Let's hope that is the end of the problems.

Graham, I'm glad  you will have a chance to try a BHB beauty in a couple of years.  

Brenda, I'm glad your DD and her family made it back home safely.

RNB, I hope you are spared impact from the storm, but glad you have the house ready just in case.  Stay safe.

I am sorry your DH fell and broke four ribs and got a gash on his head.  I hope he can come home soon, and that he has a quick recovery and as pain free as possible with broken ribs.

@USN59-79  Ray, I don't think you are being nit picky on the incorrect names for Taiwan and Ukraine.  Just because China and Russia want to claim them, doesn't mean they are part of those countries. 

BTW, today is Ukraine's Independence Day.  The got their independence from Russia 31 years ago in 1991.  

Lenda

Maybe I get a little too strong on the subject of Taiwan.  I lived there from 1961 to 1963 and or course married my Chinese teacher in Taipei.  My DW cares enough about her country that she flew home in 2020 to vote in the presidential elections and may do so again this January.  They don't have absentee voting as we do.  I wonder how many Americans would do that?  Our next cruise is from Sydney to Keelung, so we will be there this Spring.  Here is an example of why I have good feelings for the country:  When I arrived in 1961, I shipped my car from California.  When I picked it up in Keelung they added gas and reconnected my dead battery and gave me a jump start.  Coming out of Keelung through a tunnel I turned on my lights and the car died; the generator couldn't handle it.  I pulled to the side of the road, got out, and three young Taiwanese men jumped off the sidewalk and helped push my car out of the tunnel.  One of them went home and came back with a jeep to jump start me.  I appreciated their help and asked if they would take some payment for their help.  They replied "No thank you, you are a guest of our country."  That was more than 60 years ago, but I still remember it.

Ray

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Maybe I get a little too strong on the subject of Taiwan.  I lived there from 1961 to 1963 and or course married my Chinese teacher in Taipei.  My DW cares enough about her country that she flew home in 2020 to vote in the presidential elections and may do so again this January.  They don't have absentee voting as we do.  I wonder how many Americans would do that?  Our next cruise is from Sydney to Keelung, so we will be there this Spring.  Here is an example of why I have good feelings for the country:  When I arrived in 1961, I shipped my car from California.  When I picked it up in Keelung they added gas and reconnected my dead battery and gave me a jump start.  Coming out of Keelung through a tunnel I turned on my lights and the car died; the generator couldn't handle it.  I pulled to the side of the road, got out, and three young Taiwanese men jumped off the sidewalk and helped push my car out of the tunnel.  One of them went home and came back with a jeep to jump start me.  I appreciated their help and asked if they would take some payment for their help.  They replied "No thank you, you are a guest of our country."  That was more than 60 years ago, but I still remember it.

Ray

Ray I would certainly fly home to vote for/in my country! Absolutely!!

Many people every day help out people whether guests of our country or not, as would Canada, or England or Ireland. Good Samaritan's are all over the world.

I believe the fact that there was an honest mistake made on our Daily this morning got your feathers up a bit. We hear you, agree with you, sympathize with you. Xx

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Ray, I remember the great Mongolian BBQ’s at the Navy Club in Taipei. Great food and was like 50 cents a bowl if my memory is correct.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Careful with you words.  They don’t come from this East Coast 😉  We don’t have them - I sure hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

I hope they do fade away but fair warning - once the lily beetles got here they never faded away.  It’s a battle every year and I try to prevent the hatching but it’s an endless task.  We never had them until they arrived. 

No idea where they came from- I thought they were lady bugs originally but nope - no dots on them.  They are insidious.  Stay with it and if you can get rid of all the stink bugs, maybe you will lick them 🤞 

True, I should have quoted more directly.  "Eastern United States" 😉  but before that "native to China, Japan, Korea and other Asian regions...accidentally introduced and collected in Allentown, PA".  

This afternoon my neighbor said she has some on her tomato plant.  The last time I looked at the pepper plant that is most affected, I found one dead stink bug and one live one (soon to be dead)!  Usually I'd find 5 or 6 live ones.  🤞

@Live4cruises  I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's fall and broken ribs!  Prayers for a swift recovery.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Ray, I don't blame you.  I think on a whole, Americans are too provincial and don't know enough about the world outside our borders.  Those of us on the Daily are fortunate that we travel and are better informed about what goes on outside our borders.

I remember in the sixth grade we learned the names and location of all the countries.  Our tests were maps of the continents with the countries borders drawn.  We had to label each country.  Unfortunately, just after that a lot of countries got there independence and changed their names, some more than once.  It was a good lesson though.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

True, I should have quoted more directly.  "Eastern United States" 😉  but before that "native to China, Japan, Korea and other Asian regions...accidentally introduced and collected in Allentown, PA".  

No worries - it was my feeble attempt at humour.

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

This afternoon my neighbor said she has some on her tomato plant.  The last time I looked at the pepper plant that is most affected, I found one dead stink bug and one live one (soon to be dead)!  Usually I'd find 5 or 6 live ones.  🤞

That’s a good sign - you are winning 🤞. Keep it up and you might be bug free (unless more come).

Kudos to you for persevering.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Ray, I remember the great Mongolian BBQ’s at the Navy Club in Taipei. Great food and was like 50 cents a bowl if my memory is correct.

Interesting.  Although I lived in Taipei, for some reason I seldom used the Navy Club.  I used the "63 Club", named that as our military address there was APO 63.  Of course, everything was cheap then compared to now.  At that time, gasoline was 13 cents a gallon.  We didn't make much money, but at the time, since they took away my driver's license, I could afford to hire a driver for my 1951 Mercedes Benz.  Were you stationed there in those years?

Looking back it seems funny.  An E-4 Navy person being driven to work in a chauffeur driven Mercedes.  It was a 170VA model, looking like something from a WW2 movie.

Ray

• Like 16

1 minute ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting.  Although I lived in Taipei, for some reason I seldom used the Navy Club.  I used the "63 Club", named that as our military address there was APO 63.  Of course, everything was cheap then compared to now.  At that time, gasoline was 13 cents a gallon.  We didn't make much money, but at the time, since they took away my driver's license, I could afford to hire a driver for my 1951 Mercedes Benz.  Were you stationed there in those years?

Looking back it seems funny.  An E-4 Navy person being driven to work in a chauffeur driven Mercedes.  It was a 170VA model, looking like something from a WW2 movie.

Ray

Was there in 1970 on R&R from Danang.Believe the club was around a river or there was water? I was SSGT E-5 at the time and pretty burned out and it was a much needed R&R.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the well wishes and kind words.

I did get an exercise plan today; it doesn't seem very aggressive, but we'll see how it goes. I have high hopes and am highly motivated; I surely don't plan on this taking years as PCP said it could.

Thanks for the tip @bennybear I will try the poles.

@Live4cruises sorry to hear about your DHs fall - sending positive thoughts that way.

Too hot to be outdoors - my car thinks it's 122!! The tire can stay low until temp drops to double digits...

20230821_164226.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

To all of you commenting/sharing remembrances of Taiwan and China.

I met my fabulous DH while stationed in Beijing with a passport (official) that stated, inter alia, not valid  for travel to Taiwan.

My sweetheart, on the other hand, had been previously stationed to Taipei/Taipei. How exotic!

For a variety of reasons — many relating to our professional lives — we understood then and now the difference(s) between Taiwan. & China.

We were so fortunate to be on the  Volendam in 2018 to visit Taiwan. We have also been so lucky to return to PRC. The changes in both places are truly breathtaking!

• Like 19

@USN59-79  Ray, I've been thinking about you question about flying back to the US to vote.  Since we have voting by mail, I doubt I would ever be in a position to have to make that decision.  We've voted by mail several times when we were in Quartzsite.  Twice, working with our county election administrator, we've voted by mail while on a cruise.  It takes a bit of work before hand and knowing where you can mail the ballots, but it's worthnthe effort.

Lenda

• Like 11

In one day I received bad news from four people.

My good friend Janet fell out of the bathtub and broke her arm.

My friend in the UK was supposed to meet her brother in Montenegro next week.  However, he had a heart attack in Prague and died last week.  She is devastated.

My friend in New York had a hysterectomy due to cancer of the uterus and they found cancer in the surrounding lymph nodes and is going through chemo.

My cousin in Louisiana had a stent placed in her coronary artery and is still not doing well. Her daughter is staying with her to take care of her.

My problems seem small compared to these.

Please say a prayer for all of them.

Thanks.

Terri

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Was there in 1970 on R&R from Danang.Believe the club was around a river or there was water? I was SSGT E-5 at the time and pretty burned out and it was a much needed R&R.

Sounds like we lived kind of parallel lives in the military.  I was an E-5 when I arrived in Taipei in 1961.  Got busted to E-4 in 1962 while driving the car I brought over.  Driving in the mountains a sign (in Chinese) said slow to 40.  Of course, if it says 40, I can easily do 50.  But it meant 40 kilometers, not mph, so I went off the road and hit a tree and they took away my license.  After I married, I got serious about my job and by 1970, I was a Warrant Officer as the electronics repair officer on a repair ship in Vung Tau.  Was in Danang two years later in the same job.  Warrant Officer was a temporary position during the Vietnam War, so later I reverted back to my permanent rate of Master Chief, E-9 and retired as that.

Ray

• Like 10

13 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Not everyone will get this. The one person you don’t want to see in your hometown during Hurricane season.

image.jpeg.588586e606d4ebae884a0c3ba96f68f1.jpeg

10 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

He had lunch at my house today ! 😳😳😳😳😳😳

Sorry, a little late today preparing house for possible impact to the Tampa Bay Area.

So the big question: Did you invite him, or did he invite himself?😱

• Haha 9