The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 1st, 2023

richwmn

Today is Ginger Cat Appreciation Day, National Cherry Popover Day, and National Tofu Day (UK)

If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance. - George Bernard Shaw

Meal Suggestion for today - Roast Fish with Curry Butter
Drink of the Day - Hornitos Paloma
Wine of the Day - Hayes Ranch Chardonnay
Destination of the Day - Nagasaki City, Japan Nagasaki

Today in History:
1878 1st female telephone operator starts work, Emma Nutt for the Edwin Holmes Telephone Despatch Company in Boston
1905 Wilfrid Laurier oversees Alberta and Saskatchewan joining the Confederation of Canada as its 8th and 9th Canadian provinces

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 09-02

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0600-1500

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Stavanger, Norway eta 09-03

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Trieste, Italy eta 09-02

Rotterdam

Isafjord, Iceland 0800-1700

Volendam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2200

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam

Saguenay, Quebec 0800-1800

Zuiderdam

Quebec City, Quebec a1000[+1]disembark

0901World.thumb.png.6b8498c7eabd69cf95f0502b707f77d4.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 18

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

Hornitos Paloma Cocktiail:

Ingredients
1 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
3 parts Fever-Tree Pink Grapefruit
Garnish: Grapefruit Wedge
Salt or Spice Rim (optional)

Instructions
Fill the glass with ice. Add Hornitos® Plata and Fever-Tree Pink Grapefruit and stir gently. Garnish with a grapefruit wedge. Spice or salt the rim if desired (but not necessary) by wetting the rim of the glass with lime, and then dipping into a plate of spice mix or salt.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 6.37.47 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 16

Rabbit  Rabbit   White Rabbit

Welcome September!  Please be good to us.

Thanks for the Report. 

Another cool morning here, but the weather forecaster predicts a warm sunny holiday weekend. 🤞

A good collection of days. 

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  The drink sounds good, thanks for the recipe.  I hope the wine is nice.

Prayers for everyone.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Sharon in AZ’s Aunt Betty passing on 8/30

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas with a fall, broken ribs and head laceration

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) – UNC Chapel Hill professor killed

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruising-along’s DBIL diagnosed with prostate cancer

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

1Angelcat’s friend Barb recovering from surgery for pancreatic cancer

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Cruzin Terri!

Aliaschief and DW flying to Seattle

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Crazy for Cats’ upgrade to a Neptune suite

RMLincoln’s DH with a good eye exam report

StLouisCruisers (Sandi) and Dennis becoming HAL 5-star Mariners

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from rehab

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Crazy for Cats (Zaandam Sept 3 to Sept 13)

2 days for Luvteaching (Westerdam Sept 3 to Sept 10)

3 days for RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy Sept 4 to Sept 20) B2B

Lobsternight (Celebrity Eclipse to Sept 3), celebrating 60th birthday, Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ) and HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann for the TGIF Report.  I'm sure a lot here will appreciate Ginger Cats. 

I've been to Nagasaki just once on the old Crystal Harmony back in 2003 but have no identifiable photos. 

I wonder how many operators are left, a lot more helpful than the menus we have today.  I'm also wondering; was there a gap in the middle of Canada before Alberta and Saskatchewan were admitted. 

Interesting quote by Shaw.  Many here will celebrate Ginger Cats.  I'll pass on the Tofu and the Fish but a Cherry Popover sounds great.

Off soon to walk and Wegmans but it will be cool enough to walk some outside as well.

Roy

• Like 35

Rabbit 🐇 Rabbit 🐇 White Rabbit 🐰 for good luck in this new month for my Dailyite friends.

It is 62°F and cloudy here at 11.45am.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

As a meat eater Tofu does not appeal to me.

Today's quote sounds funny.

Today's food sounds interesting.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone affected by bad health, hurricane Idalia or wildfires.

Take care and stay safe.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 34

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll gladly celebrate Ginger Cat day.  I confess, I haven’t been bold enough to try tofu yet 😉 

IMG_0871.jpeg.606b985a8a70ee8134b0f436ede373f3.jpeg

LOL on the Shaw quote! Yum on fish.  Not sure about the butter.  I’ll wait for Debbie’s recipe. And a big YUM on white wine today 😊 A great anniversary day in Canadian history with 2 of our prairie provinces joining the Confederation 👍 

IMG_0876.thumb.jpeg.6e3444447e09855ee7b8dd849cb019cf.jpeg

Busy day today - got up early to give Ivan lots of time - hair appointment and then gulp - therapeutic work on my elbow.  Haven’t said much but it is getting worse & more painful with certain motions.  It works but…  My cupping is not working so going to someone who does it professionally and may have other thoughts as well.  They know exactly what’s going on from my description.  It will probably be an ouch time but if it helps, it will be worth it 🤞 

@aliaschief Bon Voyage!

IMG_3408.jpeg.8460db5234acbca96707231d3aaf6ea0.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_0917.jpeg.f9c1255d21d4fa627072c2546a11b4ce.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone!

• Like 34
  • Haha 10

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm also wondering; was there a gap in the middle of Canada before Alberta and Saskatchewan were admitted. 

Roy, yes, there was a gap in the prairies.  Manitoba joined 35 years earlier than Alberta and Saskatchewan.  One of the reasons that the national railway was built that connected all the way to to British Columbia 🙂 

@Cruzin Terri Happy Birthday!

IMG_3616.jpeg.3ced0633d3b2d44ca4e13bb980981d1d.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s another beautiful day here and DH complained that it’s winter!🤣 it was 51F when I woke up.  The past two mornings I listened to my furry alarm clock, Mona, and got up at 4am.  I’m hoping that helps with getting up at 2:30 tomorrow.  I’m willing to be she’ll let me sleep tomorrow.

It’s going to be a busy workday. One project is on hold until Tuesday and I will transitioned coverage to my manager, it’s too complicated to assign to anyone else.  In between meetings I’ll get a load of laundry done and run the vacuum through the house.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

Mona better have me up no later than 3 tomorrow.  

image.thumb.png.e790a6780d0329569a07714b278d9b16.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 18

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!  🐇  Good morning friends!  It's about 70 here and mostly cloudy.  We will reach a high of only 81 but there is a chance of rain today.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting our Daily and Fleet Report for us.

Cheers for ginger cats, and cherry popovers but I'm not a fan of tofu.  The quote is humorous.  The menu suggestion of roast fish with curry butter is a double no for me.  I probably wouldn't want the cocktail or the Chardonnay.  However I can be positive about the days in history.  Hurray for the first lady switchboard operator and for Alberta and Saskatchewan.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports on Food and Beverage!🍹🍷

Prayers for the Care list folks and my DB and friend's DB Mark.  I hope we can shorten the list soon!  🙏   Hoping Baby Murphy is hanging in there.  A big shout out to those celebrating and especially all the cruisers.  Heard from DGD in Tampa all was well at the Aquarium, and she was back home in the apartment by 2 pm with only some minor street flooding downtown.  Happy Birthday Terri @Cruzin Terri.  I hope the floor guy showed up and the floors are repaired.  Try to forget all the troubles and enjoy your birthday.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the great Care and Celebration list.🚢🎉

The port today is Nagasaki, Japan.  That was the port on April 8, 2021 and January 22, 2022.  In addition it is technically listed again on Sasebo (Nagasaki), Japan which was listed here on Nov. 13, 2021 and May 23, 2022.  Sasebo is in the Nagasaki Prefecture.  There were no photos shown on the Sasebo dates so I won't post a link to those two dates.  I have not been to Nagasaki before and have no photos today.  Here are the links to Nagasaki.

We were going to get groceries today but if it's raining I'd rather stay home and dry.  Hoping all are safe and well today, so make it a great Friday before Labor Day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

Good morning friends - Happy September! Today's temperatures are supposed to be cool - yay! I got spoiled with the temps in the North Atlantic!

In lieu of a rabbit picture, I offer puffins!

Prayers raised for all in need, and cheers for all who are celebrating!

Edi

puffin2.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday @Cruzin Terri! 🍾🎂

Good morning and thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.  I love ginger cats but never owned one, cherry turnovers are tasty and tofu is good in hot and sour soup.  It is also write a letter day.  Goofy quote.   The Paloma looks like a wonderful drink, pass on the curry fish, we are having fish tacos as a starter for a family dinner this afternoon.   Will wait on the Chardonnay.  

I cannot imagine the anguish Baby Murphy's family is going through, they must be exhausted.  Prayers for her and her family.   Prayers for all needing them, the citizens of Maui and the people of Ukraine.  Prayers for those on the FL coast who lost so much.

It is 49 degrees but the cool weather ends today with 3 days in the 90s and nights in the 70s, not much help on cooling the cabin off at night.    I hope to stain today.  I have the west side and a little of the south side.  I just sanded where the stain peeled so I will just stain the bare spots.  It won't look the best but it will protect the wood from moisture.  

We are having my sister, her son from Colorado and her daughter and fiance over for prime rib.  I will cook it on the big green egg but the planned scalloped potatoes will require the oven.  When we have a heat wave we try to avoid it.   The propane refrigerator adds enough as it is.  We leave for home on the 10 th so much to get done.

We went fishing and we fished for 2 hours just to have an undersized walleye to show for it. Have a good Friday!  Nancy 

IMG_20230831_090851554_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 37

Thank you for our first September 2023 R & D, Rich! Mother Nature put on quite a show this morning. Makes the early morning walks so enjoyable. 

Just as we were starting out…

IMG_3963.jpeg.2050c4348dd6e8d2a61b61cee94e0472.jpeg

By the time we reached the end of our street…

IMG_3965.jpeg.ac89eee4403aeddc9160605cc1f82856.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for sharing all our happenings. Last night’s view of the Super Blue moon never materialized. But my friends and I had a wonderful time at our local wine bar. Today I hit the gym, more Bindi walks, chores and dinner at a friend’s. That should keep me busy. 

IMG_1697.png.e74fa4654846cafaf626652339096cb0.png

IMG_1708.jpeg.bead13c28be4b34639e266c5e4362b11.jpeg

IMG_1707.jpeg.1a3bc7814fab22b46fcf77842f813f95.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. @Cruzin Terri Terri hope your new year is filled with laughter, love, great health and wonderful cruises!

IMG_3005.jpeg.67ded59bc265d1fda226112a56af866a.jpeg

Get well & stay well everyone. 

Hayes Ranch Chardonnay

Widely available; consumers say it is good. I could not find any critic reviews. Online distributor prices start at $9.97.

Distributor notes 

This Chardonnay comes from select vineyards in California. All the grapes are harvested at the optimum level of maturity. The grapes were gently pressed and fermented in a combination of new and used oak barrels and stainless steel tanks. The fermentation was kept cold to ensure a slow process that retains the natural fruitiness of the grapes.
Golden yellow in color, our Chardonnay invites you in with its vanilla and brown sugar aromatics. Hints of oak and cinnamon-kissed green apple flavors create a very smooth wine with a soft fruity finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 5

Happy Friday and first day of September. Thank you for the daily and Fleet reports. 

Should be a cool and sunny day today. I will make sure that I get outside. Will be in the office this morning. The meal of the day sounds delicious. 

Happy birthday to @Cruzin Terri.

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

In honor of Ginger Cat Appreciation Day, here is Chase. 

ANMP0000.jpg

ATMP0012.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1