The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 18th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Global Dignity Day, Love Your Body Day, and Information Overload Awareness Day

It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth - and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had. --Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Drink of the Day - Cruzan 9 Tea
Wine of the Day - Ron Rubin 2013 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Riga, Latvia

Today in History:
1867 Alaska Purchase: US takes formal possession of Alaska from Russia, having paid $7.2 million
1931 American gangster Al Capone convicted of tax evasion
1922 British Broadcasting Company (BBC) founded, later called British Broadcasting Corporation

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Puerto Madero, Mexico 0800-1700

Koningsdam

Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii Overnight

Nieuw Amsterdam

Cartagena, Colombia 1200-1800

Nieuw Statendam

Nafplion, Greece 0700-1700

Noordam

At Sea Destination Christmas Island, Kiribati eta 10-21

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 10-21

Volendam

At Sea Destination Tabuaeran, Fanning Islands eta 10/18

Zaandam

Salaverry (Trujillo), Peru 0800-2000

Zuiderdam

Funchal, Madeira 0800-1700

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Hakodate, Japan 0800-1800

1018World.thumb.png.84b28812aa6d7d5e90cfe12195a4af59.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

NextOne’s valve replacement surgery yesterday

57redbird’s DH having an external nerve ablation for afib today

5th memory of Paw13’s (Pauline’s) mam Ruth’s death

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized, ? at rehab

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

Cruising-along’s DH with pneumonia

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL hospitalized with Covid, pneumonia, heart issues

Cruzin Terri having challenging days

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Quartzsite cruiser’s DH Steve’s post-shunt placement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Marshhawk (Annie) and Chuck!

Happy Birthday SusieKIslandGirl!

Happy Birthday Seasick Sailor!

Royal Caribbean cruise ship evacuating Americans from Israel

RMLincoln’s good respite with family & good meetings at the new community

Cruzn single now testing negative for Covid

Smitty34877’s aide for Tana working out well

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas Oct 19 to Oct 28, Canada & NE)

2 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

2 days for Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

6 days for Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest Oct 24 to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami)

Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.

It is a lot milder 57°F and sunny today.

It is Pauline's dear late mam's 5th memory today.

3 good days today and very true quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Riga is a nice port.

I hope everyone is well.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann for the Hump Day reports.  Three great days to celebrate and 3 great days in history.

I love the Kubler-Ross quote.  I have not been to Latvia.

I'll probably pass on the chili and spices.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Veal Cutlet, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 18, 2017

dishes18.jpg

Nice day in Maryland with a chilly start.   I visit the oncologist this morning.

Roy

• Like 34

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Report.

Not as cool as yesterday, and it should be sunny this afternoon.  Sunrise is getting later and later.   I don't like these short days and we're still a long time before the winter solstice. 

Three very good days to celebrate.

I like the quote, in moderation.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.   I hope the drink and wine are good too.

I've never been to Riga.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Fall has definitely set in and I turned on the heat last night, it was 69F in the house and temperatures were to drop into the 40’s.  Fortunately we use gas.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes.  On Friday I was planning on making stuffed pepper soup in the crockpot, if I have the ingredients I will try a chili recipe.  Tuesdays have become a very busy work day so when I get home my screen time is limited.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

All the miniature panthers that have been in my life have been super sweet and purr machines.

image.png.1334d684aef7a91526fce24597f36c88.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 4

Good morning friends!  Brrr.  It's 42F this morning but will be a nice 70 degrees and sunny this afternoon.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report for this Wednesday.  It's getting hard to keep track of the ships these days with so many bumps in the road.  Volendam is enroute to Pago Pago, Samoa not Fanning Island.  Nieuw Amsterdam is skipping Cartagena, Colombia and heading straight back to Fort Lauderdale to have work done on an azipod this weekend.  This will also affect the next cruise on NA.  I haven't even looked at the ships who might have had Ashdod or Haifa on their itineraries yet.  

Global Dignity is a good goal for everyone and every country.  Many countries fail miserably at it.  Love Your Body Day is a nice thought and a lot of people struggle with that.  Information Overload Awareness Day is a bit premature (Oct. 20) but we can get ready for it now.  It's also National Chocolate Cupcake Day and that sounds like a winner to me!  The quote is accurate and I hope we try to enjoy every day to its fullest.  Slow Cooker Beef Chili sounds like a great idea!   I think I'll once again skip the cocktail and red wine.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.  

Three excellent days in history to celebrate.  I'm very glad the Alaska purchase went through back in 1867 as it's a great addition to the United States.  Boo hoo to Al Capone being convicted.  He deserved it.  And the BBC's founding was a good thing for British news outlets.

Happy Birthday to Joy @Seasick Sailor and @SusieKIslandGirl!  Hope it's a great day for both of you!  Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando bon voyage!  You two deserve a wonderful cruise after all you've been through!  Hope to hear from you soon! 🥂 Vanessa @JazzyV good luck today with your epidural procedure and we hope you see improvement quickly.  Edi @NextOne praying your surgery went well and we see you back home and on the Daily very soon.  @57redbird prayers for your DH as he has his external nerve ablation today.  I wish I'd hear something about my friend Susan's DH Scott because he needs something done about his afib.  Prayers for the entire long Care list, and for the Israeli and Ukrainian people in this time of turmoil for them, and really the world as a whole.  🙏  Cheers to all enjoying pleasant events and wonderful cruises!  🚢🎉  Thanks Vanessa for your complete listing of all our activities and woes.

The port today is Riga, Latvia, another brand new port.  I haven't been there yet.  It was scheduled in 2022 and then Russia invaded Ukraine so we gave up our Baltic cruise in 2022.  Hoping to do that in 2024.  So there are no links again today.  If you have been lucky enough to see Riga before please show us some photos and comment on it.  Thanks in advance, and thanks to Roy @rafinmd who had a few photos of Fakarava Atoll yesterday.

In other news from yesterday, great news Debbie @dfish on your great lab reports.  Terri @Cruzin Terri I hope things start to look up again, and I think the floor guy is incredibly gutsy to bill you for repairing his poor job in the first place.  I'd be talking with your contractor about next steps.  Take care in the meantime.  And congrats to Carolyn @Cruising-along on the new cruise booking!  Best wishes and good thoughts to Pauline @Paw13 on her late mam's 5th memory day.  And good luck to Roy @rafinmd as you see your oncologist today.

Hoping you all enjoy a great Wednesday.  Stay safe and well!  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Brrr.  It's 42F this morning but will be a nice 70 degrees and sunny this afternoon.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report for this Wednesday.  It's getting hard to keep track of the ships these days with so many bumps in the road.  Volendam is enroute to Pago Pago, Samoa not Fanning Island.  Nieuw Amsterdam is skipping Cartagena, Colombia and heading straight back to Fort Lauderdale to have work done on an azipod this weekend.  This will also affect the next cruise on NA.  I haven't even looked at the ships who might have had Ashdod or Haifa on their itineraries yet.  

Global Dignity is a good goal for everyone and every country.  Many countries fail miserably at it.  Love Your Body Day is a nice thought and a lot of people struggle with that.  Information Overload Awareness Day is a bit premature (Oct. 20) but we can get ready for it now.  It's also National Chocolate Cupcake Day and that sounds like a winner to me!  The quote is accurate and I hope we try to enjoy every day to its fullest.  Slow Cooker Beef Chili sounds like a great idea!   I think I'll once again skip the cocktail and red wine.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.  

Three excellent days in history to celebrate.  I'm very glad the Alaska purchase went through back in 1867 as it's a great addition to the United States.  Boo hoo to Al Capone being convicted.  He deserved it.  And the BBC's founding was a good thing for British news outlets.

Happy Birthday to Joy @Seasick Sailor and @SusieKIslandGirl!  Hope it's a great day for both of you!  Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando bon voyage!  You two deserve a wonderful cruise after all you've been through!  Hope to hear from you soon! 🥂 Vanessa @JazzyV good luck today with your epidural procedure and we hope you see improvement quickly.  Edi @NextOne praying your surgery went well and we see you back home and on the Daily very soon.  @57redbird prayers for your DH as he has his external nerve ablation today.  I wish I'd hear something about my friend Susan's DH Scott because he needs something done about his afib.  Prayers for the entire long Care list, and for the Israeli and Ukrainian people in this time of turmoil for them, and really the world as a whole.  🙏  Cheers to all enjoying pleasant events and wonderful cruises!  🚢🎉  Thanks Vanessa for your complete listing of all our activities and woes.

The port today is Riga, Latvia, another brand new port.  I haven't been there yet.  It was scheduled in 2022 and then Russia invaded Ukraine so we gave up our Baltic cruise in 2022.  Hoping to do that in 2024.  So there are no links again today.  If you have been lucky enough to see Riga before please show us some photos and comment on it.  Thanks in advance, and thanks to Roy @rafinmd who had a few photos of Fakarava Atoll yesterday.

In other news from yesterday, great news Debbie @dfish on your great lab reports.  Terri @Cruzin Terri I hope things start to look up again, and I think the floor guy is incredibly gutsy to bill you for repairing his poor job in the first place.  I'd be talking with your contractor about next steps.  Take care in the meantime.  And congrats to Carolyn @Cruising-along on the new cruise booking!  Best wishes and good thoughts to Pauline @Paw13 on her late mam's 5th memory day.  And good luck to Roy @rafinmd as you see your oncologist today.

Hoping you all enjoy a great Wednesday.  Stay safe and well!  

Thank you from Pauline and myself Sandi.

Paulines brother has been here for a few hours and it gives them time to chat about Ruth their lovely late mam.

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann for the Hump Day reports.  Three great days to celebrate and 3 great days in history.

I love the Kubler-Ross quote.  I have not been to Latvia.

I'll probably pass on the chili and spices.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Veal Cutlet, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 18, 2017

dishes18.jpg

Nice day in Maryland with a chilly start.   I visit the oncologist this morning.

Roy

I hope you have a successful visit at your oncologist today Roy.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich!  Another cool morning here. I was surprised to see yesterday’s early morning temp here was cooler than both @ger_77 & @smitty34877🤔. I did get my car washed yesterday. My car was not happy, since its sensors were covered much of the time. 

Vanessa, thank you for taking care of us. Praying the epidural goes smoothly & relieves your pain.

Bindi walks, manicure, annual termite inspection & a visit to a new wine bar -Wine Not. They conduct a wine tasting every Wednesday evening. They have quite a menu of charcuterie & appetizers. 

IMG_1850.jpeg.f463ef355c7df4b5e85ec60684794352.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg.55ebb319eb9d051e2a5d8dfd7c25ae71.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg.0acff68614113b6570d8cca75bc67739.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

@dfish Praying your doctor can help you get your medication.

@smitty34877Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & your support teams. 
@NextOne Edi, praying that all went smoothly yesterday. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying that your DH continues to improve. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

@Seasick Sailor

@SusieKIslandGirl

IMG_3005.jpeg.9399f6718510fe3280490a35eccdffdf.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Ron Rubin 2019 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

I took some liberties with the vintage. There were a couple places that still sold the 2013, but the 2019 vintage is everywhere!😎 And consumers & critics love it!  I would love to try this one. Online prices start at $17.49.

Winemaker Notes

Bright ripe red cherry, cranberry, and warm silky berry aromas with hints of allspice. The bouquet is rounded out with sweet vanilla and berry flavors, with a balanced and elegant finish. This very approachable wine offers mouth-filling, yet soft and silky, tannins. Ripe fruit flavors are complemented by bright acidity and a gentle oak mid-palate. This complex and fruit-driven Pinot Noir pairs beautifully with sauteéd mushrooms or shaved truffles with pasta.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3

@JazzyV,Vanessa,I hope the procedure helps decrease your pain.

@Seasick Sailor, Joy,a very Happy Birthday to you!

@SusieKIslandGirl,Happy Birthday!

Bon Voyage to. Annie and Chuck @marshhawk!!

It was only 48 here when the dogs and I ventured out.I like the quote and have not been to Riga. I often make chili in the slow cooker,aka crackpot. I will celebrate the days and the historical events.

Take care everyone 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

National Love Your Body Day. RNB quote of the day:

”Loving your body only when it’s in perfect shape is like loving your kids only when they’re well-behaved”

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 19
  • Haha 4

All 3 of the days are worthy of having their own day, body image is a struggle for many.

The quote is true, but also a struggle for many.

The meal, drink and wine all sound good; not been to Latvia and likely will never go.

The history days were impactful - AK purchase makes me smile - we love AK and are thrilled to visit sans passport.😊

55° headed to sunny 82° and 91° on Friday. I hope the A/C gets a break soon; it has worked hard this summer.

DH and I got 3 jabs each last evening at Target - I really appreciate the convenience of them having a CVS inside so we can make evening appointments. My left arm is really sore, maybe the frozen shoulder didn't like the jabs? I'm queasy and have a headache which I hope clears soon as I have a heavy work day and still need to get to the intl dl place.

Happy Birthday 🎂 🥳 🎉 @Seasick Sailor and @SusieKIslandGirl

Positive thoughts for you @rafinmd as you see the oncologist today.

@CruznTeri hugs for you that each day gets better.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

Screenshot_20231018-062931_Weather.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It’s a cool 48 degrees this morning and will rise to 74 degrees F. 
First of all @Seasick Sailor and @SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday!🎂🍾

Lot’s happening today. We did hire a new lawn service, our cleaning gals are here this morning and our new custom made mirrors for both renovated baths will be delivered and mounted this afternoon. Oh yeah, packing.

We both went together and got pedicures yesterday afternoon. One of life’s great pleasures. 
Looking at all the tropical weather activity going on I foresee a possible future encounter as we sail down the Eastern coast.

Thanks for the Fleet Report and Care list along with all posting contributions here on the Daily. Enjoy your day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.e01b011a3f9df78191308cc8a3f54bde.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f19dbc66ecc0e607804d1f8f6f2d23bf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.046e73d7e3b7e553413e3a2b5cffb5d2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f0e8d778b346db8aeddf6d8a0217a6d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ef2e382cb16d4ee0b7c7f44c40cf892c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.705980d90431f9de2091bd5d0066cb43.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Volendam is enroute to Pago Pago, Samoa not Fanning Island.

Pago Pago was the destination I had, but when I checked Marine Traffic this morning it showed (and still does) Tabuaeran, also known as Fanning Island as the destination, as does Cruise Mapper.

As far as Nieuw Amsterdam, the skipping of the port does not surprise me but also was not listed as such on Marine Traffice.

I do not read every thread on Cruise Critic. I have requested (several times) that when people post itinerary changes I get tagged, but that rarely happens.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Pago Pago was the destination I had, but when I checked Marine Traffic this morning it showed (and still does) Tabuaeran, also known as Fanning Island as the destination, as does Cruise Mapper.

As far as Nieuw Amsterdam, the skipping of the port does not surprise me but also was not listed as such on Marine Traffice.

I do not read every thread on Cruise Critic. I have requested (several times) that when people post itinerary changes I get tagged, but that rarely happens.

Rich, I know that no one thinks to update you when their cruises take a sudden turn due to weather, mechanical issues, or civil unrest/war breaks out.  I just happened upon the NA information when I caught up on Crew News's live-from thread.  Same earlier this week while reading WCB's live-from on the Volendam.  I have relatives on the Volendam but they aren't keeping touch during this cruise.  

I often see Marine Traffic and Cruisemapper have outdated information.  I don't know if it's their issue or the ships aren't updating.  I wish you luck trying to be accurate!  I'll try to tag you when I read further changes, though I don't read every thread.  

• Like 21

Good morning.  Thanks to all who post and keep this thread active.  Prayers for all in need.

Very cool here and furnace has been “finicky”.  Our furnace guy gave me some things to try including changing the batteries in the thermostat.  Hoping all will return to normal.

I have decided to take the trip on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow with my twin.  Celebrating birthday on Saturday.  DD coming to stay with her Dad.  Luckily, by using the wifi on the ship, I can use wifi calling to keep in touch.  DH Bill says he is feeling fine.

On Saturday we will be in Boston and will probably stay on the ship.  Forecast is for wind and rain.  The only two ports I hope we make are Bar Harbor and St John, New Brunswick.  With a nor’easter forecast I am thinking we may have some itinerary changes.  

Have a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 31

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

Just returned from NOT having lab work for tomorrow's doctor appointment. Normally I call the lab the day before to make sure that the doctor had put in the orders. He had changed one of my meds so is seeing me after  three months on the new med. No orders on file so fasting and getting up early is for naught. I'll call his office later to make sure that I even need to come in. Next appointmernt with lab orders is January.

We haven't been to today's port. I would like to do a second cruise on the Baltic as some now go to Latvia and Poland iin place of St. Petersburg. Our first cruise in Europe was on the Zuiderdam and I always feel that it was my favorite cruise with Captain Wouter van Hoogdalem. Everything "clicked" on that trip.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

• Like 27

Good morning everyone from a cool (53F), overcast Boston.  Fall has set in an I love it, it’s always been my favorite season.  Three nice days to celebrate today; since retirement I don’t have the constant barrage of information which is refreshing.  The meal would go nicely with the wine.  Think I’ll skip the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port but I did meet a delightful young woman from there on our recent trip.  She worked at the front desk at Casa Camper in Barcelona and when I asked where she was from she made me guess, of course I failed as she was the first person that I ever met from there.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today like @Seasick Sailor, @SusieKIslandGirl and @marshhawk!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1