To sail or not to sail: that is the question?

cachouonacruise

In 2020, we started to hear about a virus in China. We thought, since it was located in a remote area, that we could be safe to sail initially in China, Japan, and South Korea and then in Hawaïi. Furthermore, In 2022, we also had a cruise in the Balkans. 

Of course, the first two cruises were cancelled due to Covid and the third one due to the war in Ukraine. 

We are now a few days away from final payment, for a cruise on the Edge from Australia to New-Zealand, scheduled to sail in February 2024.

Covid is still an issue with a new variant, however, my DW and I are fully vaccinated. So, this seems to be more of a minor concern. At least, it is my hope! 

The war in Ukraine...sadly is still on-going.

And now, sadly, the war between Israel and Hamas has just begun! 

Australia and New-Zealand seem to be quite distant from the war virus. But, how quickly could it spread? 

Based on your evaluation, is it too risky to make a final payment on a cruise these days? 

(p.s. I understand that my issue is a first world issue. Sadly, people in the world are victims of the on-going wars. I really empathize with them and pray for them. But, from my perspective, there is not much I can do for them to avoid being injured or killed. Meanwhile, I am still hoping being able to discover the world. So, I am torn, and would appreciate your thoughts)

• Haha 1

Covid: N95 mask when out of the stateroom and inside the ship, except eating. Take responsibility for yourselves, and don't depend on others to act the same.

War in AUNZ: Not likely at all. Too expensive for threatening parties. If alliances are involved and drag AU-NZ into this, we're all in trouble.

Live your life the way YOU want to.

If that includes cruising, make adjustments as needed. If it doesn't include cruising due to fears, let it go, move on, and enjoy your life in other ways.

EDIT: Travel Insurance!!!

Edited by CruiseMrB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cachouonacruise said:

We are now a few days away from final payment, for a cruise on the Edge from Australia to New-Zealand, scheduled to sail in February 2024.

Of all the places in the world Australia / New Zealand are pretty removed from troubles - I would not let any Eastern Europe or Middle East conflicts concern you to much .

as an Australian who was very privileged to sail on the Apex on the cruise to Israel /Egypt a day before this most awful war - I would say go for it life is way to short 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Risky for what?  Risk of your cruise getting cancelled?  Although that risk is never zero, it is an incredibly small risk (outside of the Middle East).  It is rare to have a cruise cancelled after final payment.  And if that were to happen, they would fully refund your money.

Risk of getting COVID?  That is a risk you take every time you enter a space crowded by other people (restaurants, airplanes, theaters, cruise ships, etc.).  Whether that is a risk you are willing to take really is only a decision you can make.  Your doctor would be a better person to give you advice on that.

Risk of getting caught in a war?  Although again that risk is never zero (just as that risk is never zero in your own home town), Australia and New Zealand are a pretty safe part of the world to travel.  

I personally have cruised many times since the pandemic and thus have made many final payments.  Our next cruise sails in 3 weeks.

• Thanks 1

I personally can't wait to go to Australia & New Zealand. We were booked in 2021 & 2022 & both were cancelled. I had surgery this past Spring & so we're now booked for the Edge in March. Nothing will keep me from this trip, life is too short! Also, travel insurance makes things a little less crazy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the past few years, we now have a ‘live life now’ attitude. We can’t control if something happens (any number of different circumstances) and the cruise is cancelled. We can control taking measures against sickness but also know we’re just as likely to get sick from a visit to the grocery store. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thank-you for your prompt and positive feed-back.

Just to give you a bit more info about my concern. My hesitation, this time, does not really focus on the money aspect. We do have travel insurance.

My hesitation is more about how quickly, flights and other means of transportation can be shut down.

In 2020, we were hours away from boarding a flight, and not being able to fly back home....for a prolonged period of time. 

I was also working in the aviation industry, on 911, and witnessed first hand, the full shut down of the aviation world in North-America. ( Which, before that, I believed it was impossible)

Until these events, I took for granted, my freedom to travel and I was proven wrong.

As the saying goes, once bit, twice shy. 

I really want to go on that trip Down Under. It would be a first and unique experience for me!!! But, I also want to be able to return home, if the war unfortunately spreads!!!

Sooo, in short, what is the risk level that more and more countries will be involved in either of these wars? 

• Like 1

Just to give you a bit more info about my concern. My hesitation, this time, does not really focus on the money aspect. We do have travel insurance.

My hesitation is more about how quickly, flights and other means of transportation can be shut down.

In 2020, we were hours away from boarding a flight, and not being able to fly back home....for a prolonged period of time. 

I was also working in the aviation industry, on 911, and witnessed first hand, the full shut down of the aviation world in North-America. ( Which, before that, I believed it was impossible)

Until these events, I took for granted, my freedom to travel and I was proven wrong.

I really want to go on that trip Down Under. It would be a first and unique experience for me!!! But, I also want to be able to return home, if the war unfortunately spreads!!!

Sooo, in short, what is the risk level that more and more countries will be involved in either of these wars? 

No one has a crystal ball to answer those questions for you.   Only you can make the decision.   I do however agree with the philosophy of “ Live for today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.   And incidentally, we are booked on a transpacific from Sydney,Australia to Vancouver for April 2024.  No idea what the world will be like then, but i feel Australia and the ship will be as safe as anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, we are more concerned about lack of reliability of air to and from the ship than any other factor. In the past year, we have been stranded three times with a United connection in Denver and had uncompensated forced overnights there. On one occasion, it was going to take three day for it to get us to Boston. All we could get was a flight home the next day, and refund of ticket price — but we still didn’t get to Boston. Not bashing the airlines, as I know they have problems. Just questioning whether they have recovered from the pandemic and following labor shortage to provide reliable service to and from a cruise.  But if a cruise line cancels your cruise, all but one I know of gave a cash refund (that one was not Celebrity).

• Thanks 1

My opinion … if this is weighing on you then you may prefer a vacation in a place that is driveable. Why book something that might cause you anxiety?

None of us know what may happen in the future. Would any of us predicted the current wars? Or anything else that can happen like civil uprisings, strikes, tsunamis, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a wonderful cruise . We did it 20 years ago on Princess. We stayed five days in Sydney pre cruise at the Four Seasons then flew to Auckland and stayed at the Hilton overlooking the sailboat races at the pier. Many people stopped in Fiji or Tahiti on the way home. Just bring two weeks extra of any medications and prescriptions in writing and back up eye glasses. Both Australia  and New Zealand have excellent heath care. You will have a fabulous and memorable time. The only downside is the length of the flights.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Stay home. Your paranoia will ruin anything you decide to do.

The aliens could visit with their space ship at any time.  One condition of joining the galactic union is ending all activities harmful to the environment.  One of which is cruising.  So yes, it could be risky booking a cruise.

I don't really understand your concern. There are thousands of us about to board Edge going through the Suez Canal to get the ship to Australia. None of us seem to have the deep rooted concern you do so maybe it is best you don't make final payment, find a "local" cruise 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are booked for the NZ Edge cruise in Mar ‘24 followed by the S Austrailia cruise to Tasmania and our final is due in Dec….and will go

Im currently in Bordeaux on a Viking River Wine cruise after visiting the prehistoric caves; going on the Ascent on a pre-inaugural 4N Thanksgiving cruise; on a New Years RCL cruise with the kids; Canada cruise; land tour of Ireland and Scotland; and heck, Japan in ‘25. So I guess Im the wrong one to be giving advice to someone concerned over world events since Im pretty much covering it all except the Middle East!!

As to NZ/Australia being remote from war….just to help scare you, if China decides to try to take Taiwan and the US steps in, Australia will most likely follow as part of our agreements. So there is Always a chance of ‘world issues’ interfering with plans.

But I think I have a higher chance of taking bullet going to my local grocery store lately than an issue in the Great Down Under!! Flights issues and all. I already have ‘issues’ with flights. Nothing new and not caused by wars, just poor planning by Viking Air. Wont be using Them again! 

By the way, Great thread title!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

I think that the risk level is pretty small.  I also think your Edge cruise to New Zealand is just too awesome to give up. Great ship, great itinerary. Besides, that plane ain’t getting shorter as you get older!!

IMG_1238.thumb.jpeg.03b638a7b268e6834caf03d7e7b12363.jpeg
Milford Sound, Solstice, Dec 31 2019 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

With your reservations, worries  and trepidation, I think you will add too much stress on your life before and during this trip, if you go ahead.

Plan something closer to home and less stress -inducing and save this cruise for less worrisome times(?) 

If you go forward you will have to get over your hesitation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Russia-Ukraine war has been ongoing since Feb 2022.  The Middle East has been at some sort of war for thousands of years.  None of this has seemed to influence cruises.  Only COVID did that but cruising and travel is far beyond that now.  So what really is the issue? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Based on your evaluation, is it too risky to make a final payment on a cruise these days? 

None of the issues you listed would even remotely cross my mind if I were to make a final payment on a cruise today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Russia-Ukraine war has been ongoing since Feb 2022.  The Middle East has been at some sort of war for thousands of years.  None of this has seemed to influence cruises.  Only COVID did that but cruising and travel is far beyond that now.  So what really is the issue? 

Wow that brings back memories.  Those Phoenician cruises were A++++.  Everything since has been inferior.  🙂

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 2

I think that I know where some of this fear is coming from.  The US State Department is sending out e-mails with:

Event: Due to increased tensions in various locations around the world, the potential for terrorist attacks, demonstrations or violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests, the Department of State advises U.S. citizens overseas to exercise increased caution.

I plan on going on my cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I would definitely go ahead with the final payment. Australia and New Zealand are fabulous countries to visit and safe from all of the problems going on in the Middle East. 

My last cruise was in Feb 2020 and I’ve been itching to cruise again. Unfortunately, my husband is waiting for a hip replacement and my girlfriends don’t seem too interested right now in Caribbean cruising. I will be travelling somewhere soon though, Waikiki, with a girlfriend so I’m a happy camper.

Take that cruise….you won’t be disappointed…

• Thanks 1