The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 1st, 2024

kazu

19 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit! I've been through the canal, but the first trip was a partial transit, where we took the ship's excursion on a small boat to the Pacific entrance and took the bus back to meet the ship. We were so glad we had been warned that this was one of the times it was a good idea to take the ship's tour -- we got back to the ship 2 hours late!

Today would have been my late DH's birthday. I so miss having him as my travel partner!

Thanks to everyone who make the Daily such a warm, caring & safe spot. Prayers raised for all who need them, and cheers for all who are celebrating!

Edi, hugs 🤗 to you today as you remember your DD DH on what would have been his birthday.  I hope the memories of your travels together accompany you on your future journeys. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good chilly morning.It’s supposed to be a nice weekend.

I did a partial canal transit in 2012. All ships tours were canceled due to political unrest in Colon. It was a good trip except for the return to Florida. Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast and all flights were cancelled.

@Crazy For Cats, Jake, an update on the fire. The damage was to the kitchen and front lobby area. The fire suppression system helped to prevent it from spreading. They do plan to rebuild. The saving grace is that the Bird in Hand Fire Company is basically 2 minutes away from their location. Other area companies are also fairly close by .

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Jacqui! Roy thank you for mapping our BHB.  It was 42 this morning and the sky was already getting light - but the wind! Brrr. It came in like a lion yesterday afternoon, and hasn’t left. But it is sunny and will warm up to the high 60s, so I will take it. 

IMG_2511.jpeg.9dc40d91c4d4b08ac93ef9188e3d882e.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us - in spite of all you are dealing with. I was sorry to read that your lessening of the pain was all too brief. Praying that three weeks from today - your relief from pain will be permanent. 

Mammogram, Bindi walks, my painting guru comes and paints the garage and all my exterior doors, chores, more grout cleaning and wrapping up the day at the local wine bar to pick up the wine I ordered at last week’s tasting. 

IMG_2510.jpeg.24b34c0d5a40ace25dfb6b5180268cca.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg.d1ad74f3709d559eb4daf5ef7ddffb28.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg.a8316bfe742a1d9881b62d7fa5e8f80b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, grieving the loss of a loved one, or in a funk. The caregivers.  Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. Praying that the cold symptoms don’t last. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Nino Negri 2018 Vigna Fracia Nebbiolo

Love a “contemplative” wine. I suspect I would enjoy this wine, but it is outside of my budget. A few online distributors with prices starting at $54.95.

95 Wine Enthusiast 

This wine opens with aromas of warmed strawberries, violet, rosemary and forest floor. The palate achieves a near-perfect balance between fruit and savory notes, each in harmony. Elegant tannins and lifted acidity saunter to the finish, where the wine lingers in a contemplative manner. Supple and so pretty. Drink now–2035.

Your Florida comment is right on the money this winter, El Niño is the culprit.

• Like 16

30 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Today would have been my late DH's birthday. I so miss having him as my travel partner!

Oh Edi - huge big hugs to you ♥️ Heavenly birthdays are not easy in my experience.  I hope that some wonderful memories can help carry you through today.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Mint Julep

The Mint Julep is another storied drink, because of its association with the Kentucky Derby in particular, and more broadly with Southern gentry. It was being drunk before 1800 and is mentioned in print as early as 1803, as being consumed in the morning in Virginia.

The general class of julep is a drink with a spirit served over crushed ice, so one could be made with a spirit other than bourbon and a flavoring other than mint. It’s possible that the original juleps were made with cognac until that became scarce during the phylloxera epidemic in France in the 19th century.

A mint julep would ideally be served in a silver julep cup, but a glass will work. Bourbon is the only liquid, so it should be a high-quality one, and preferably one around 100 proof, because of the rapid melting of the crushed ice. 

MintJulepscaled.jpg.ac6e5e3f883f5adec39c71fc11da54f3.jpg

8 mint leaves

1/4 ounce simple syrup

2 ounces bourbon

Garnish: mint sprig

In a Julep cup or rocks glass, lightly muddle the mint leaves in the simple syrup.

Add the bourbon then pack the glass tightly with crushed ice. Stir until the cup is frosted on the outside. Top with more crushed ice, and garnish with a mint sprig.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 16

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  While I won't be making candy, I do plan on making a pan of corn flake squares (like rice krispie cake) later today.  Ah, car insurance - it gets more expensive every year, even though we haven't had any accidents.  Oh my on changing passwords - I have so darn many accounts and sites, as most of you do, that it would take a long time to get that done.

I'm a little wistful this morning (more like having a pity party) because I just heard our friend's plane taking off without us as they head to FLL for "our" cruise departing  Sunday on the Nieuw Statendam.  Maybe I'll add a glug of Bailey's to my coffee this morning.  

@NextOnethinking of you today as you remember your DH's birthday and the good times you shared over the years.

@kazu you mentioned the groundhog for tomorrow - it's looking like we'll be having a full day of sunshine, meaning 6 more weeks of winter.  I do hope those 6 weeks bring a lot of snow because with the temperatures we've been having the past few days, the snow is rapidly disappearing.  

Not a lot going on today, I'm going to place a call to the cardiologist's office to get an update on what's happening or scheduled for DH.  It's been a week since we saw him, and it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, or at least I hope so.

Had a text from our DS who said they'll be coming for a visit at the end of March; I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but decided to check the calendar this morning, and realized they'll be here for Easter - yay, I get to hide Easter Eggs again!!!!

We were at the port of the day in 2008 on the Coral Princess; we took the "Behind the locks" shore excursion which was interesting and were glad we did.  I've had the drink of the day and will let others enjoy it, hopefully more than I did.  I'd like to try the wine, but it's a bit pricey, and will pass on the menu suggestion.  As I thought yesterday, when our friends came over, we ended up ordering Chinese food, so after sending some home with them, there's still more than enough for the 2 of us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!   ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It may get up to fifty degrees later today. The weather person also said the sun may come out. I avoid candy so someone can have my portion. I have not been to the Panama Canal but I am enjoying all of the pictures. Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for posting yours as well as those Lenda posted previously. Thanks to @superoma for the black bean soup recipes. I make this frequently . 
@NextOne, Edi, I will be thinking of you today on what would have been your DH’s birthday. 
Well, so far I am the only one in the entire house who is not presently sick. DD and DSIL went to their docs yesterday and both have sinus infections as well as whatever precipitated the illness. The teenager told me this morning that he “might die “ from the cough. He has developed a very dark sense of humor! Tana is very congested and already had a bad cough. The nurse is coming back today. 
I will take the teenager to his doctor later this morning.The aide joked that she felt she needed hazmat gear to enter the house. 
Take care out there everyone.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites. Rabbit White Rabbit!

47 in Georgetown warming to 73. I'll take it.

Edi, Happy Heavenly Birthday to your DD DH.

Prayers for Tana and household. Can you ever catch a break! Prayers for all on our care list and thankful we have Vanessa to keep us up to date.

Today is a Urology appt for my sweet husband. Then lunch, and girls game night.

I got behind on chores yesterday. I was able to construct an outdoor plants stand with ridiculous parts and worse directions. I got the shelving units for the garage, but need to get going on putting those together. I dislike being disorganized!

There are so many beautiful Panama pictures already posted. We went through the locks with @Nickelpenny . The new locks aren't as exciting as the old.

Sandi, I loved the Panama rolls and we had them on the ship quite often during our 51 days. One of our crew members brought one to me with a pat of butter. The rest is history! I can share the recipe if there's an interest.

Wishing everyone a blessed day! 

image.png.d5f0fe1377d1254bf3d5c5bd4bf634b8.png

image.png.ad2b8055b907caa3226caa8f0d948475.png

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 23
  • Haha 8

Rabbit 🐰 rabbit 🐰 white rabbit🐇 

Raining here, I think they call it the “Pineapple Exoress.”  Working from home but have an appointment (yearly) with my PCP this afternoon. 

• Like 22

I have a helpful hint for change your password day.  I changed all my passwords to incorrect.  That way when you are having a senior moment, and can't remember it, you can type in anything, and you will get a helpful reminder.   It will automatically remind you that your password is incorrect.

• Like 6
  • Haha 22

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa. Ann, Paul, and Eva.  Happy Hevenly Birtheay to @smitty34877's DD DH.  I won't make candy, appreciate my car insurance, and changing passwords seems to be a neverending task.  Strange quote from Peters but far too many people have been charged with plagerism by following that advice.

Three great days in history from the 19th century and a very sad one from the 20th.I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Sauteed Pork Chop, and Key Lime Pie with Mango Sauce as served on MS Prinsendam February 1, 2019:

dishes01.jpg

Cold morning but it should warm up during the day.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit! I've been through the canal, but the first trip was a partial transit, where we took the ship's excursion on a small boat to the Pacific entrance and took the bus back to meet the ship. We were so glad we had been warned that this was one of the times it was a good idea to take the ship's tour -- we got back to the ship 2 hours late!

Thanks to everyone who make the Daily such a warm, caring & safe spot. Prayers raised for all who need them, and cheers for all who are celebrating!

Happy birthday in heaven to your DH.

88b39da8405a48505fb4ccb6008a1210.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It may get up to fifty degrees later today. The weather person also said the sun may come out. I avoid candy so someone can have my portion. I have not been to the Panama Canal but I am enjoying all of the pictures. Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for posting yours as well as those Lenda posted previously. Thanks to @superoma for the black bean soup recipes. I make this frequently . 
@NextOne, Edi, I will be thinking of you today on what would have been your DH’s birthday. 
Well, so far I am the only one in the entire house who is not presently sick. DD and DSIL went to their docs yesterday and both have sinus infections as well as whatever precipitated the illness. The teenager told me this morning that he “might die “ from the cough. He has developed a very dark sense of humor! Tana is very congested and already had a bad cough. The nurse is coming back today. 
I will take the teenager to his doctor later this morning.The aide joked that she felt she needed hazmat gear to enter the house. 
Take care out there everyone.

Terry, I'm really sorry to hear of so much sickness in the house, especially that Tana has such a bad cough and congestion.  That's an awful thing to have on top of her pulmonary fibrosis!  I don't blame the aide for wanting to suit up when she comes in. 😷 You stay well, and we're praying for relief from the sickness gripping your household.🙏

36 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Today is a sad day in history. On this date in 2003 , the space shuttle Columbia broke apart during re-entry. All seven astronauts were killed. 💔💔💔💔💔💔💔

What a sad day in history for our country, the families and the space program.  Thank you for the reminder.😢

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, travelnap said:

I have a helpful hint for change your password day.  I changed all my passwords to incorrect.  That way when you are having a senior moment, and can't remember it, you can type in anything, and you will get a helpful reminder.   It will automatically remind you that your password is incorrect.

Mine are just RedneckBob.

Oh no, I better change all my passwords right now !

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

Ok, Bunny, Bunny, Playboy Bunny! 😳

Lake Gatun fact. When Panama built the new larger locks, they had to deepen Lake Gatun by exploding dynamite below the bottom and excavate the rocks. Do you know why?

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit. temp is 36, its sunny, and I'm sick as a dog, as the phrase goes. I started coughing yesterday afternoon, and it got worse and worse until I got off work, and by 11 thirty  I could not catch my breath...it sounds like whooping cough...that's not a diagnosis, that just what the cough sounds like. I coughed all night, but did get some sleep, cant say that about DH.

We decided yesterday that since Bubbles is getting worse, not better, that it would be in his best interest to be euthanized.  I called the vet, and they told me that unless the vet treats the animal, they will make the decision whether or not to put the cat down.  This way they can make a large charge for treatment, first, and then charge us again.  I lost it.  Said something to the effect of changing vets office after 43 years, and hung up.  DH tried to rethink the request, called them back and was told that they no longer euthanize animals there.  I called St. Francis, a 24 hour veterinary hospital, and was told to bring him in as soon as I can, that no animal should suffer.  I agreed, but said I was at work, but now that I know I can just show up, with the cat, I feel better.  But today may not be the day, I have the neighbors dog to walk, I have on line training for my new job, so it may be this evening before I can get there.

He ate this morning, and climbed back into the cat carrier, so he should be easy to move.

On a better note, I got a sale yesterday.  First one in two weeks.  My boss jinxed me when he said I was becoming one of the highest sales people, and it went downhill from there.

I hope that all of you who are low today, emotionally or health wise find a moment of sunshine.

image.thumb.png.b49e4134c9b395dc924af2344b54688a.png

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 12

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

Good Morning from a sunny but cool day at the beach

Sun is shining, the sky is blue and the ocean is calm.  No complaints.

Car insurance or any insurance makes my eyes water. A necessary evil.  Probably should change my passwords. We were at Lake Gatun in the mid 90s.  

I remember the Columbia very well. We were all lined up waiting for the landing when the announcement was made of a "System Failure". We all just stood there in shock not really comprehending at first what had happened. Sad, sad day. Prayers for their families and all the very brave men and women of the space program.

@NextOne  Sending strong thoughts to you today on your DDDH birthday. 

@smitty34877  Hope your household gets better soon. Stay well.

Playing golf this afternoon. A little later than usual but with all the visitors here, it is busy.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit Rabbits White Rabbits 

I was up very late unable to get to sleep but I was so excited to see stars!  I was out on our balcony seeing constellations!  There was a break in the cloud shroud during the wee hours and I’m glad I was up to enjoy it. I miss the magnificent night skies we had in the deep dark NM mountains. 

Again, Brenda @bennybear im sad to hear of your loss. Friends are part of us. Feel our care reaching out to you. 

@Cruzin Terri Beautiful room!  Enjoy it with DH. Smile as much as you can appreciating all that this special cruise can be!  Don’t sweat the small stuff, life is to collect funny stories. 

@NextOne Wishing you some smiles from your good memories.  

@smitty34877 Glad you have nursing help today.  Extra virtual hugs!  (We don’t want it either!). 

@kochleffel Paul, trusting you are healing well and can rest. 

Blessings to each of you, all the Care list, and Melissa, and the good luck for the month from the Rabbits!  Blessings for our world!  
Joy to those celebrating and the excitement of new wonders for those traveling. 
Maureen

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2015 Maasdam cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Rio.  On February 1 we visited Port-of-Spain..

dusk0201.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

I vividly remember waiting for the Columbia to land. We had our trailer in Florida, drove to the viewing area, set up camp chairs and our tiny 5” old style crt tv on the roof…. and waited….  until we cried, somewhere between comprehension and disbelief in a state of utter emptiness.

When we eventually got back home to north New Mexico we learned that emergency services were asking for volunteers to grid-walk the thousands of square miles of the break-up path searching for debris.  Folks we knew went on the sad adventure. 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 9