The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 21st, 2024

kazu

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to read cards or have my cards read.   I can speak 3 languages proficiently:  English, sarcasm and profanity.  The quote made me chuckle.

Although it's cool out right now (-10C), it's supposed to go up to 0 which means some of the snow will be melting off the roof.  Hopefully the downspouts aren't totally iced up so that the water flows onto the lawn, rather than on the sidewalk that leads to our trash cans.

@dfish Oh my gosh, what a day you had yesterday - bureaucracy can be a bear to deal with, especially when they "think" they're right, but you know they're wrong.

@seagarsmoker yesterday I was thinking of asking if you were enjoying your new job, but thought it might be too early for a good judgement.  I'm glad to hear you are happy with it.

How is it possible that even though I bought some groceries yesterday, by last evening we'd run out of the staples:  bread, eggs and milk?  I'd add the eggs, but that's a different story, as there's been a recall on certain brands of eggs because of possible salmonella contamination, so I have to return the carton I have in the fridge when I do go for groceries today.  This afternoon DH is having coffee with his bandmates, so I'll use the time to bake a brownie and take it to the senior couple living on our block and have a little visit with them.

I think the drink of the day would be great on a hot sunny afternoon on a BHB, am pretty sure I'd like the wine, even if it is a little pricey, and do enjoy spaghetti sauce.  DH said not to worry about dinner tonight, as he's going to bring home a couple of cilantro-lime chicken bowls from Tim Horton's that we can enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations!

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 34

Good sunny morning. It’s cold out now, but in the 40’s this afternoon.

I would love to have a Pussers Painkiller. The fresh grated nutmeg is important. I remember being with my 2 girlfriends at the bar of the Hyatt Grand  St John and trying to stand up and feeling the floor spin. It was a long time ago. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2022 cruise on Enchantment of the Seas out of  Baltimore.  On February 21 we visited Nassau:

dusk21.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from a cool but sunny day at the beach

Good selection of days. The quote is pretty accurate. Never been to the port.

Sounds like everyone is enjoying their cruises despite a few bumps along the way.

Been busy here with a few things going on. Our annual golf tournament is coming up on the 8th and now the caterer is backing out. Going to another place this afternoon.

Doing the membership drive for the library and budget time is approaching. I am thinking of not seeking re-election for the board. It is getting a little too much. Our volunteers are aging out and the young ones are too busy with other things. I get it. Young mothers have the PTA, soccer clubs , working, etc that take their time. But all want the programs. We will see.

Golfing this afternoon with my son. It will be fun!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28

Good morning all. My mother tongue was German and I didn’t speak English until I went to school in grade 1 even though we arrived in Canada when I was 2. We got a tv about the same time I started school and that helped with learning the language.  I speak some French but I wish I was better at that. 

another warm, for February, day here but cloudy today. Yesterday was a lovely sunshiny day. I am hoping we have seen the worst of winter but I don’t really think Mother Nature is done with us yet!

prayers for those who need them and a celebratory shout out to those cruising or marking milestones.

• Like 27

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I once went to someone who read cards (Tarot) with people from work. I think it's great to try to preserve mother languages. Funny quote. The meal sounds good. Yes to the drink and wine. I haven't been to Penang. 3 interesting days in history.

It's going to be gorgeous here; sunny and upper 50's by this afternoon, although we started in the 20's. The people are here moving the furniture back into the house. I want to go through drawers of the DR buffet and server before bringing other things back into the room. I will take my time with the sorting and decisions on donations. 

@seagarsmoker Good to hear that your new job is going well.

@rafinmd Thanks for our maps. Sorry to hear about your nosebleed last night.

@StLouisCruisers Good luck with your appliances.

@kazu Thanks for starting us up, and I hope your doctor's appointment goes well.

@Nickelpenny It sounds like you're enjoying yourself.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes today. You had quite the day yesterday, and hopefully some things are straightened out now.

@cunnorl Enjoy your golf game. Ugh on the caterers backing out; I hope you can find another without difficulty.

@marshhawk I hope you and Chuck are ok.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is chilly here again today. Only 40 degrees. 

My new job is going well. 

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day!  

20231104_061629.jpg

Good news!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Wednesday. Today it will get to 68F, thank goodness cooler than yesterday’s 80F. 

Painkillers were very popular at the Ocean Bar on our cruise. I enjoyed the Mariner cocktail on the Volendam but didn’t like the way it was prepared on the Koningsdam, it was too big and in a bigger wine glass with ice.  I started asking them to make it smaller and without ice. I found out from the bartender that it really is the Hugo that was the drink of the day last month. Toward the last week of the cruise I started having a Dutch 150, it’s very refreshing and light. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Greetings, friends! Today may be an expensive day. I've got the plumber coming in to fix a broken toilet, and then someone is coming to give me a quote on replacing the HVAC system. I see $$ --- going out, not coming in!

Prayers raised for all in need, and cheers for all who are celebrating. Just one month until Spring!!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

It’s cloudy and cold in north Jersey. Started at 18F heading to 39F. Chilly. 

I got to sleep pretty easily but only for 3 hrs. Then a long night and a short second sleep. I think I’m processing my visit with my brother (after all these many years) and niece and their tough road ahead with my DSIL who is in a bad way.  They haven’t found a rehab place yet, but have a case manager working with them. I haven’t spoken to either of them since we left the hospital, they’re exhausted, and only just begun….

DH is stable for the moment within his regimes. No pressure-lowering meds for one eye, so much less itching!  We’ll see the NJ eye doctor tomorrow. At this point I’m hoping he’ll just check it and leave the second (last) suture alone for a while (maybe indefinitely?), don’t want the pressure to bottom out. 

All the best to Annie and Chuck, and Vanessa for tomorrow!  Sorry to hear of more nose bleeds Roy!  Jacqui, I hope your appt has no surprises. Glad your rubs are mostly healed, and no pneumonia, yay !  Sandi, I hope you get some good news soon, for a change!  Gerry, you are the best neighbor!  Yum!  Seagarsmoker, Nice that you’re liking your new job so far!  

Blessings went out in the wee hours.  Smooth travels to all away - wonderful pictures!  Including NE England Graham 👋
Cheers for all celebrating, Life is Good🌈

Maureen

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone from sunny Aruba.  Our plans are to visit the butterfly farm, DH has to avoid getting sun so Eagle Beach is out, sadly.  The times of our visits to the ports has been altered somewhat but it’s all good in the end.  Thanks for the daily report, an interesting collection of days to celebrate today, think I’ll skip card reading day though.  The quote is funny.  I think I’ll pass on the meal but say yes to the drink suggestion.  I haven’t been to the port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list and to those who need them.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 🥂

We highly recommend the glass bottom boat on Bonaire. It is covered so you both should be fine. One of the best excursions we did if you don't snorkel/dive.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from Quartzsite.  The weather is going from cloudy to sunny and back to cloudy.  It is currently 58F with a high of 70F this afternoon.  The over night rain missed us, and now, our only chance is for a passing shower about 10am.  Today will be more catching up on paperwork, especially since we got the last of the tax forms yesterday.  I also got some forms from an account that I am questioning since they come from a third party who is acting as their agent.  I've already sent an inquiry to the company.  The ribeye we split last night was really good and tender.  It was much better than any steak I had on Koningsdam.

I Googled card reading day, and found this on the National Today site:  "Card Reading Day on February 21 is a sentimental holiday on which people savor the greeting cards sent to them over the years."  I've kept a few special cards from the DDs.  English is my mother language, and although I took two years of Spanish, I only can manage a few basic words.  Too many mother languages are being lost as the older speakers die.

I like the Arthur C. Clarke quote, and it made me smile.

We'll pass on the meal.  The drink is one I might try, and the wine sounds nice but a bit pricey.

We have not been to Penang.

Three important days in history.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope you both are doing all right and are just busy.

@seagarsmoker  Beautiful photo.  I'm glad the job is going well.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the explanation of Mother Language Day.

@ski ww  Welcome to the Daily.  I hope you pop in often.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm sorry about the nose bleed.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope this is the last time the microwave and oven have to be worked on.  Great news about the cruise booking.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the doctor visit goes well today.  I loved the last two memes.

@GTVCRUISER  I hope the storm did not do too much damage where you live or to San Diego.

@cunnorl  Charlene, that is not good news about the caterer backing out so close to the date.  Good luck finding a new one.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the injection tomorrow helps a lot with the pain and numbness.

427949064_785968283574720_3486045882459728616_n.thumb.jpg.7647cf71e9fc9cafb8fa842c1d06372b.jpg

428344970_785092806987062_5429141736255304651_n.thumb.jpg.7cada3e6810ca50ff96c786c435a5f74.jpg

428428893_323113644067994_471690209100084059_n.jpg.d9b71bd08153e001f240eee368403799.jpg

428621669_390120163608319_8430622926465679995_n.thumb.jpg.d8581dac90da85153e379d8c2cfe0d5b.jpg

428640424_389203993699936_3325273033118844568_n.thumb.jpg.4118d59bafdc7bf9b75e303997edea06.jpg

428692041_10159305390611431_2988814014177183039_n.thumb.jpg.60a612561c83590e310bfe9aad4a2505.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

Good morning/afternoon. Today we have our fingers crossed that we get to sail into Milford Sound later this afternoon. In the meantime I have a haircut appointment in spa.

Yesterday’s visit to Port Chalmers and Dunedin was special with an off road ride at a ranch where we saw stunning views along with wildlife. Albatrosses with their 11 foot wing span, seals, black swans and burrowed penguins.Not allowed to photo penguins in their burrows.

Just amazed by how many logs awaiting shipment at port.

The decision at present is do I head for coffee or roll over and go back to sleep? Tough decision.

Thanks for the reports and Daily. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.eed11374e183fddf55afb612830a9ba7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8daa2791699e0534cc40120c0e0587ae.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94e4e5473f1ee33e0b977e89a262a9d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.babcbd07e09401369ea30003c3c79d3b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.06c4b6bb8e3e1340814a42c5e118930b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3a8f68a562f31060179a14731e232333.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.396d92a1c78fee6a81115c0eaa0e9850.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Cold today at 32F but will be sunny and 64 for a high so not bad at all.  Dh scheduled an HVAC company for this afternoon to come out to check one of our AC's that started struggling last fall.  There's a good chance it needs a new coil so that will be looked at and replaced if necessary.  Then the appliance repair people finally got their act together and were able to schedule two technicians come out this morning to remove our oven/microwave unit from the cabinet and replace the turntable motor in the microwave.  Remember a little over a year ago they had to do that to replace the heating element in the oven.  These combination units are big and bulky, and very difficult to repair.  I've never lived in a home long enough to need repairs to appliances before!  Anyway this will keep us busy for sure.  Thankfully, I was able to apply a sale price to a future cruise booking on Monday which saved me thousands of dollars and now we can afford to pay for the new coil for the AC.  Win, win!😀

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  I enjoy giving and receiving cards so will honor that by sending my friend Sandy a card to let her know we are thinking of her.  Mother language day and just plain language day is welcome.  I'll be interested in hearing about the ground beef ragu.  No thanks on the Painkiller or red wine. 🍷 I guess we can reflect on the archbishop, Tsar and locomotive.  🤷‍♀️Thank you to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Laura @Lcubed for the reporting today.

Prayers were said and hopefully heard for my dear family and friends, those here on the Daily who are suffering pain and illness, awaiting procedures and feeling loss, stress and worry. 🙏  I'm thankful for the good news from everyone and love hearing about the cruises everyone is taking or has planned.  🚢  It's good to hear @seagarsmoker is enjoying the new job!  Sharon @Sharon in AZ I'm glad to hear Craig is recovered from Covid and I understand how he could say he is wary of more cruising after catching it again.  Sounds like my DH sometimes!  I hope we hear from Annie @marshhawk today though she must have her hands full.  Vanessa @JazzyV I hope you are feeling a bit less pain and getting a little more sleep.  Good luck to you tomorrow and thank you for your postings each day! 

The port this morning is Penang, Malaysia.  This was the port on Feb. 14, 2023.  Penang Island is where Georgetown is located.  We have an Ann @cat shepard Daily posting on that date because I was cruising and Rich @richwmn was on his World cruise.  I have not been to Penang before and have no photos.  Here is your link:

Hoping you all have a great day, keep safe and stay well.  

I'm sorry about your appliances needing repairing but Fantastic news on the great price on your future cruise booking.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Don't know what card reading day is - are we recognizing the magnetic strip on the back of credit & debit cards (being replaced by a chip) or Tarot cards or special occasion cards?

Special Occasion cards - from the website that defines the different days:

“Card Reading Day on February 21 is a sentimental holiday on which people savor the greeting cards sent to them over the years. There is nothing better than going through aisles of greeting cards and selecting one that will best express our feelings for another. These cards are special and we hold on to them for sentimental reasons.”

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

It’s cloudy and cold in north Jersey. Started at 18F heading to 39F. Chilly. 

I got to sleep pretty easily but only for 3 hrs. Then a long night and a short second sleep. I think I’m processing my visit with my brother (after all these many years) and niece and their tough road ahead with my DSIL who is in a bad way.  They haven’t found a rehab place yet, but have a case manager working with them. I haven’t spoken to either of them since we left the hospital, they’re exhausted, and only just begun….

DH is stable for the moment within his regimes. No pressure-lowering meds for one eye, so much less itching!  We’ll see the NJ eye doctor tomorrow. At this point I’m hoping he’ll just check it and leave the second (last) suture alone for a while (maybe indefinitely?), don’t want the pressure to bottom out. 

All the best to Annie and Chuck, and Vanessa for tomorrow!  Sorry to hear of more nose bleeds Roy!  Jacqui, I hope your appt has no surprises. Glad your rubs are mostly healed, and no pneumonia, yay !  Sandi, I hope you get some good news soon, for a change!  Gerry, you are the best neighbor!  Yum!  Seagarsmoker, Nice that you’re liking your new job so far!  

Blessings went out in the wee hours.  Smooth travels to all away - wonderful pictures!  Including NE England Graham 👋
Cheers for all celebrating, Life is Good🌈

Maureen

Sorry to hear about your poor night's sleep.  You definitely have a lot on your mind which keeps people from getting proper sleep.  I hope the case manager helps the family with their plans. 

I'd love some good news as you said.  The microwave repair is complete and my blood pressure can go down now.  Until the AC repair guy comes and starts taking apart the furnace unit in the attic.  LOL!  If he falls through our ceiling I'll faint!

This is why the oven unit repair is so scary.  So many things can go wrong or be damaged.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The circular area under the microwave is where the new motor went.

Looks like a good place for future repairs - wiring, motherboard...please, no!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Disappointed that card-reading day is about greeting cards, which I don't save, rather than Tarot, which I don't have, either.

The meal would be OK but I'm not making it. Pass on the drink. No Zin or anything like it in the FL so I'll substute one of our best varieties, Cabernet Franc, this one from Glenora. I'm no longer stating that I haven't been to the destination of the day -- you can name almost any port and I won't have been there.

Amazingly, I slept until 8:00 a.m. without waking once. Last night I taught a class on Ecclesiastes and usually I can't sleep at all after something like that. I have no explanation. I'm hoping to get to the nature center this afternoon for a class assignment, since it's 41° F. I also need to bake a koginut squash, which is a hybrid of butternut (!) and kabocha squashes.

koginut.jpg.b96420334527f26f2b2de4e28641afb3.jpg

Because of the Utah trip, if it takes place, I won't be starting any seeds indoors -- it would be too early to plant them outdoors before I go. I'm also limiting plant orders to nurseries that will ship late, since the trip is during the time that many of them would ship to this area (and too early for planting, imo). It's very disappointing that the owners of Graceful Gardens, in Trumansburg, have retired.

travelsandadventures.thumb.jpg.1d3346332785dd9eb1230215f5b59ec3.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 9

Pauline has kept quite a few cards over the years especially our valentine's cards which are nice to read.

When my mam was given a short time to live with her metastatic cancer in 2011 she got a fantastic cruise themed birthday card specially made for me and Pauline puts this card off my dear mam out on every birthday of mine since.

She promised my mam she would do this which made her happy.

My mam died 6 days after my birthday in 2011.

• Like 16