The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday February 25th, 2024

kazu

Today's sunrise is an oldie.  It's from a Uniworld Nile River Cruise in 2009.  On February 25 we were on MV Prince Abbas cruising Lake Nassar above the Aswan Dam:

IMG_1225.JPG.52d38fc781f6e419058f6142ba4d18f1.JPG

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Let’s Eat Right Day is celebrated on the birthday of Adelle Davis, a popular writer and lecturer on food and health on the early 20th century. IMG_0107.thumb.jpeg.d55a1ff3d1386f3b98b056e3f9f8cf38.jpeg
I try to follow this advice for healthier diet, “If something has a whole list of ingredients that you cannot pronounce, it should not make it into your shopping cart." ―Amy Leigh Mercree

Positive thoughts to those who need them. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  If eating right includes chocolate anything, I'm in!  I remember a road trip to the West coast when our son was about 13 when we stopped at a little roadside restaurant somewhere in Oregon and had the most amazing clam chowder.  Outside the restaurant was a mountain of clam shells that were waiting to be picked up by a recycling company - we were astounded at the amount of shells there were and still remember how good the clam chowder was. 

Thank you all for your offers of help yesterday in my search for meclizine; this really is an amazing community.  I've been in touch with @57redbird who has ordered some and  will try to get it to me - if that doesn't work, I'll put out the all-call again for a second try.  We used to be able to get meclizine under the name Bonamine, but a number of years ago was discontinued for sale in Canada - I have no idea why.

@Lady HudsonBon Voyage; I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

@Haljo1935I'm sorry I didn't mention your brother yesterday; sending you hugs as you continue to process his loss.

Today we're driving about an hour north of the city to a small town where DH's heritage group is having their AGM.  The current president is unwell, and another fellow is stepping down from the executive, so it is necessary to look at the future to see whether the group is still viable or not.  Hopefully some people living in the area will take up the mantle and encourage visitors to enjoy some spectacular scenery and learn of the history of the area.  DH is a past president and said due to both his age and health, he's unable to do any work, but will stay on in a consultant role.

I would like to try the drink of the day, would probably enjoy the wine if it was nicely chilled, and have had the menu suggestion as a quiche, not muffins.  After the AGM it's tradition for the executive to go for dinner, so I think we'll be heading to a little restaurant on the highway where I know they have the best Monte Cristo sandwiches, and I'm sure DH will order their veal cutlets tonight.  Because we're driving, we'll have wine when we get home.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief and in wars.  Cheers to all with something to celebrate.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

My photos are "sort of" Jakarta.  My tour was a visit  to the school President Obama attended for about 3 years during his youth.  It is a simple two-story building surrounding a courtyard.  A statue of Obama as he appeared in his youth stands in the courtyard:

youngobama.jpg

Some photos of the students and classrooms:

scholars1.jpg

scholars2.jpg

scholars3.jpg

scholars4.jpg

And a volleyball game in the courtyard:

volleyball.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

@Lady Hudson  bon voyage!  🛳️🍾

We are relaxing at our friend's place in the Villages.  Going to meet up with other friends who live here for afternoon happy hour.  Our trip here was uneventful except for a 30 minute accident delay in the construction zone on the FL turnpike.  Have a lovely Sunday.  Nancy 

• Like 21

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Bon Voyage @Lady Hudson!  Looking forward to your thoughts on your experience.  We have not been on RCL but they cruise from Bayonne NJ within easy reach of us, so maybe! Anthem is a mega ship and we’ve heard people say they loved it but I’m hesitant after our difficulties getting on and off NCL Joy with close to 5000.  The ship was great, the overall experience left me not wanting to cruise on her again unless I don’t intend to get off anywhere. I hope you have a grand time!  

Been awake since 3-something, hoping to get a bit more sleep?  Or a nap later. Not in pain, just tentative and a bit brain busy.  We went to a movie last evening and movies stay with me, often takes me days processing them. 

My niece updated us yesterday on DSIL. They hope she’ll be stable enough to be moved in a day or two. She’s received more blood so not as “out of it” but that also means more difficult. 

Blessings to all! I hope everybody’s day is good, or night depending on where you are!  

I’m going to visualize ocean waves and see if I can drift off… 
Maureen

Thank you.  Will be sure to give an review when I return but we really have never had a problem in Bayonne.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

The picture went off our TV in our bedroom so we went out and bought a new one.

We decided to then go through Starbucks drive thru and got a couple of Banana Loafs and a fruit bread with coffee and went to the beach to relax.

IMG_20240225_145652.jpg

IMG_20240225_141614.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20

I read Adelle Davis's books in the 1970s and I suppose that I still follow some of her guidance. I totally approve of chocolate-covered nuts, but no clam anything for me.

The meal suggestion appears to be a sort of quiche or frittata baked in muffin tins. I did something like that once when I needed to serve 40 people at brunch and realized that they would make a mess of serving themselves quiche. I'd also like Roy's alternative. I would try the drink, maybe only once. For a Finger Lakes rosé, maybe Hosmer Estate Dry Rosé of Cabernet Franc, "Quince and rose water on the nose shift to strawberries and red raspberries on the palate. The finish is juicy and driven by notes of mulberry."

I need to go grocery shopping, and maybe I'll buy some chocolate-covered nuts, but cat food is the one essential. The European Zoom at 2:00, and if it ends in time, the nature center.

talkingtoself.thumb.jpg.cc4e88ba7d9dc705c1cec12f2c6ad40c.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone!

I really slept in today.  I couldn't get to sleep last night, but once I did, I stayed there.  I hope no one went hungry because the meal of the day is late!  

These egg muffins are quick and easy.  You can really use anything you want in them, not just broccoli.  You can also store them in the fridge for a few days and just have them on hand.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets-2/

broccolicheeseeggmuffins1.thumb.jpg.59b822598b5608225f934abad9efc439.jpg

While the last one was mainly egg white, this one uses the whole egg.  There are also suggestions for variations.  https://lifemadesweeter.com/broccoli-cheese-egg-muffins/

broccolicheeseeggmuffin2.thumb.jpg.a47220ec92a87c996e35133e1774c938.jpg

I like the seasonings in this one.  https://thehealthyepicurean.com/broccoli-cheese-egg-muffins/

broccolicheeseeggmuffin3.thumb.jpg.b6b271df618cc21b57807dcc8630b3a4.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from cloudy Quartzsite.  It is currently 55F with a predicted high of of 78F.  Our humidity is up at 54% with a dew point of 41F.  I'm sure that will change as the day warms up.  Last night, I wanted to see the full moon rise over the mountains east of town, but the clouds were too thick.  I saw it later when there was a slight break in the clouds.  On a clear night when the full moon rises, it is simply a spectacular sight.

I had to smile when I saw Let's All Eat Right Day followed by National Chocolate Covered Nuts Day.  I know nuts are healthy, but I'm not sure if chocolate covered ones fall into the category of eating right.  I have been trying to get us eating right most of the time, and I do like chocolate covered nuts, peanuts and almonds particularly.  We also enjoy New England clam chowder, but haven't had it recently.

The Samuel Butler quote is a good one, and mostly true.

The meal sounds good, and would be a good breakfast when the "kids" are here, especially the vegetarians.  For the carnivores, I bet you could add some bacon.  We'll pass on the drink, but DH would probably like the wine.

We have not been to Jakarta -- yet.

I was surprised to read the first legal tender in the US wasn't until 1862.  I know for a time, each state issued their own script which caused problems.

@Nickelpenny  Pennie, I'm glad you enjoyed Devil's Island yesterday.  We've been there twice and  had a good time both times.  Thank you for the wonderful pictures.

@aliaschief  Bruce, safe travels to Ayers Rock, and have a wonderful time there.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, thanks for the update on your DSIL.  I hope the transfer to rehab goes smoothly.

@ger_77  Safe travels on the road today, Gerry.  I hope the group can stay together.

@rafinmd  Roy, thanks for the pictures of the school President Obama attended.

@dfish  Debbie, don't worry about sleeping in.  I doubt Dailyites will ever go hungry.

428332207_10159305030991431_7405908441046106926_n.jpg.133e8d32d9e0423cf8a45d5d007c1f6b.jpg

428597778_24813526124929064_4874528905681910867_n.thumb.jpg.b86c2bb620928101741c1c7d19a3a114.jpg

428611701_381795651281100_3082396057972826856_n.thumb.jpg.bafb8b4d520cd133b196109be57bb659.jpg

428614820_1567192117392357_9173392138667260388_n.jpg.a3b71a953cf25b04e8434f00825ce06e.jpg

429637849_391509916802677_8763882154434217288_n.jpg.ca53400f771e6b4428f167173cf6fe24.jpg

324744385_1897655000602272_4512587210133850210_n.jpg.7149da8dcd48bc5d65e13967c6664585.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 13

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another sunny but chilly day. 

Meal of the day sounds yummy. Love anything with chocolate (maybe not everything) and clam chowder. 

Nothing much planned today. My sister and I have decided to put the house on the market later this year. Immigrating to Canada seems like a dream and our chances of doing so is low due to our age unless we do a visitor visa or maybe a work visa. We have little to offer the Canadian economy because we are close to retirement age. Still exploring options though. So, we have decided to find a small farm somewhere away from other people and retire there.

Bon voyage to @Lady Hudson.

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

24 best Cats-On Sundays... images on Pinterest | Kitty cats, Adorable ...

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, Denise T said:

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another sunny but chilly day. 

Meal of the day sounds yummy. Love anything with chocolate (maybe not everything) and clam chowder. 

Nothing much planned today. My sister and I have decided to put the house on the market later this year. Immigrating to Canada seems like a dream and our chances of doing so is low due to our age unless we do a visitor visa or maybe a work visa. We have little to offer the Canadian economy because we are close to retirement age. Still exploring options though. So, we have decided to find a small farm somewhere away from other people and retire there.

Bon voyage to @Lady Hudson.

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

24 best Cats-On Sundays... images on Pinterest | Kitty cats, Adorable ...

Denise, It sounds like you and your sister are really exploring all possibilities.  Good luck with the future plans.

7 minutes ago, Legs Larry Smith said:

Good morning, Fleet Report!

Welcome to CC and to the Fleet Report/Daily.  I hope you join us often.

@Mr. Boston  Welcome home.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll embrace eating right, as I plan to get back on track starting tomorrow. When I was in so much pain I didn't care, and medicated myself with carbs. That will stop. I do like chocolate covered nuts, except peanuts. I'm not a clam chowder person (not a fish or seafood fan). Good quote. The meal sounds nice and lowcarb as a breakfast. Pass on the drink, maybe on the wine. I haven't been to the port. Paper money is so much lighter than coins.

It started out in the 20's this AM, but it's sunny and going up to 46F (currently 36F). I slept about 5.5 hours last night; still can't lay on my back or right side. Then a small victory as I was able to shower without having to sit on the shower chair. I still have some numbness and burning in the leg, but the pain is decreased about 75% (yay)! I still haven't got the GF clock running, but I think one of the chains is off it's winder. I dug up the plans I used to build it, but the last couple of pages are missing. I found someone selling that issue of Woodsmith for $6 online, so I'll order it. I need to know how to get into the clockworks. Otherwise, the server drawers are organized (easy) and today I'll work on the buffet drawers (lots of old linens I don't use, that were my DM's). This week is full of appointments, every day except Thursday.

@Lady Hudson Bon Voyage!

@Mr. Boston Welcome home.

@Nickelpenny Great photos!

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels for DS and DDIL.

@aliaschief It sounds like you have quite an adventure planned. Be safe in that heat! Do you have something like Liquid IV that can be added to water to give you electrolytes back?

@grapau27 Thanks for the link. You and Pauline have a great day too.

@RMLincoln It's nice to be so close to a cruise port, since flying is often quite the hassle these days. I hope you went back to sleep or can nap later.

@rafinmd Thanks for the maps. Nice sunrise in a unique place. Thanks for the Jakarta school photos.

@travelingbums So sorry! I've been hearing about the delays and cancelled inaugural cruise from some YouTube cruise people. 

@Denise T Wow, big life changes for you and your sister. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

@Legs Larry Smith Welcome to the Daily! 

@kazu I hope all is ok with you.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone, 

It's a very rainy start to the day here in the Pacific Northwest! I'll gladly say yes to chocolate covered nuts - especially almonds - and to clam chowder (the white kind). The egg muffins might be good to make and I could take them out as needed to help with the healthy eating. 

Nothing too exciting going on here. I plan to stay in, watch the ships sail away, and do fun stuff like sweeping the floors, organizing my desk, and even working on a jigsaw puzzle. It's a 1000-piece one from White Mountain Puzzles called Television Families. So far it's going together quite nicely. 

Tomorrow is water aerobics, the Widows Support group lunch and I get a haircut! Isn't there a law, somewhere, that if you get a haircut you lose 5 pounds? I know I sure feel lighter and have a bit more spring in my step after it's all cut off. 

Happy Sunday!

Karen

• Like 16