The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 2nd, 2024

kazu

Today is International Rescue Cat Day, National Banana Cream Pie Day, and National Old Stuff Day

Life's more amusing than we thought. - Andrew Lang

Meal Suggestion for today - Berbere-Spiced Chicken & Lentil Stew
Drink of the Day - Pink Lady
Wine of the Day - Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Boracay, Philippines

Today in History:
1791 Long-distance communication speeds up with the unveiling of a semaphore machine in Paris
1965 One of the most popular musical films of all time, "The Sound of Music", starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, premieres (Academy Awards Best Picture - 1966)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea after medical disembarkation

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Nassau 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Montevideo, Uruguay eta 03-03

Rotterdam

Cartagena Colombia 07:00 - 14:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Parintins, Brazil Amazon eta 03-03

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 12:00 - 20:00 

Volendam

Sydney, NSW Australia - 17:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Shanghai, China eta 03-05

Zuiderdam

Kobe-Osaka, Kyoto, Japan - 17:00

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Pink Lady cocktail:

The pink lady is a classic gin-based cocktail with a long history. Its pink color comes from grenadine. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: 1 Egg White, 1.5 oz. Gin, 4 dashes Grenadine
Preparation: Shake ingredients very well with ice and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.
Standard garnish: Cherry
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 6.12.12 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 17

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 41°F and raining here.

3 interesting days and Quote.

Nice food and wine.

I hope everyone is well and y'all have a wonderful day.

886c616ffb8a752d9fd3928587b477c7.jpg.0d15ee8b0404bf5ade637aea90869425.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 7

Good morning.  Happy Saturday.  Thanks for the Report.

We've got a rainy day in the forecast, most of the snow has melted.  There seems to be a lot of mud around, unfortunate for me because Bertie loves it.

Three good days to celebrate.  A big thank you to all cat rescuers.  I'd love a banana cream pie.  I love some old stuff I think it's better than some new stuff.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal but I'll take the drink and the wine. 

I haven't been to today's port, thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for our world.

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning friends!  It's 42F and misty/foggy this morning.  We had an inch of rain by 5 pm yesterday and no idea how much since then as it's still dark out and I can't see the rain gauge.  Today will be about 63F and cloudy.   As long as it's not raining!  Your meme today Graham @grapau27 sounds like me sometimes!

Thanks Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the FR, Daily and maps.  Very hard to keep up with all the ships with so many changes to their schedules.  I see Nieuw Statendam is going to Nassau instead of Key West.  Not surprising. I hope Koningsdam makes it to Raiatea on time.  And Zaandam looks to be in Manaus today and then Parintins tomorrow.  I feel badly for those whose ports are cancelled due to weather.

I wish I'd remembered to post yesterday that March 1 was the 3rd anniversary of the Port of the Day feature of the Daily.  The first port we had was Georgetown, Grand Cayman.  So happy anniversary to everyone who enjoys discussion and pictures of the ports of call!

Three nice days to recognize today, rescue cats, banana cream pie, and old stuff!  Not sure about that quote, no thanks to the stew or Pink Lady, but I'll take some sauvignon blanc,  Cheers to The Sound of Music!  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today.

Prayers have been said already today for all on the Care list (I named names to be sure you are noted), the countries at war and the hostages held, the American military members in danger in the war zones, and my dear family and friends in need of them. 🙏  Congrats to all with special events to celebrate and cruises to enjoy!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping!  

Today is 2 months I've been working on my future grandson-in-law Chris's Christmas stocking.  I'll take a photo later today of my progress to show you how much time it takes to get somewhere on one.  I'll be cruising some this summer so have to take it with me to work on at Knitters and Knatters get togethers.  If I finish it by September I can take it to him personally when I attend their wedding.  That's my goal and it's an aggressive deadline.  Wish me luck!🤞

The port today is Boracay, Philippines.  We had it before on Sept. 8, 2022 and March 5, 2023.  I'll post the links now.  I haven't been to the Philippines before so no photos from me.

Hope you all stay safe and well!  Have a wonderful weekend!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency stomach surgery, off vent, out of bed

RMLincoln’s DSIL transferred to Rehab, with treatments

RIP former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney

Fires in the Texas panhandle

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck post angioplasty, needing another procedure

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage LAFFNVEGAS (Lisa)!

Welcome back Cruise Suzy!

Seasick Sailor out of CC jail!

Lazey1 feeling better and getting stronger daily

Rafinmd’s PSA showing improvement

JazzyV with improved leg pain and numbness after spinal injection

RMLincoln’s DH Richard doing well after his eye procedure, tapering drops

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy out of ICU!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for 0106 (Nieuw Statendam Mar 3 to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF

Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas to Mar 3) 7d Bahamas & Perfect Day, LAFFNVEGAS(Winstar Wind Surf to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79(Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 21

Good Saturday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Soggy and rainy day today. Not much to do on the outside. Half of our daffodils are blooming. A sure sign of Spring.

We have three rescue cats. One of them, Chase is going to the vet today. He has a cyst on his toe that is growing. Vet said last time the toe may need to be amputated. 

221 days until my Canada cruise. Wish it were sooner.

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Out in the rain - Imgflip

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui. Sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling well! Roy, thank you for our maps!

Vanessa, it is exciting to read your personal updates each day! Lots of Dailyites rooting for you. Thank you for keeping up with us. 

My Sister was downgraded from ICU to regular care yesterday. The earliest she will go home will be Monday though. She needs to build up her strength. Yesterday was exhausting for her. She tried to do too much respiratory therapy, in the hope she could be weaned off oxygen. And the medical team discovered that she had a partially paralyzed diaphragm, which makes everything even more difficult for her. It might be related to a case of polio she had when she was six or seven. Her son flies back to Boston tomorrow morning and her daughter comes down tomorrow afternoon.  The hospital is happy to see she has a support “team”. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, thinking of you & Tana. And I agree with Maureen- you reap what you sew!❤️

Cheers to everyone celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc 2022 

This New Zealand SB sounds like a winner. I used the 2022 vintage info, since it should be fairly easy to find. Very easy to find and priced to try. Perfect for a hot summer day. They are coming soon. Online prices start at $11.95.

Winemaker Notes

Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc always combines the best of both sub-regions for a consistently classic Marlborough style. Initially, the cool climate Awatere aromas jump out of the glass, such as lemongrass, jalapeño peppers and fresh herbs. In contrast, the warmer Wairau Valley vineyards produce a pungent Sauvignon Blanc with ripe citrus and tropical fruit flavors.

A perfect aperitif wine, serve chilled on warm summer days. Fresh herbal flavors match well with most salads, whereas the riper tropical flavors match well with any fish recipes.

• 90James Suckling
    Bright and fruity with crisp notes of lemongrass, passion fruit, lemons and white grapefruit on the nose. Vibrant acidity with a medium body and juicy finish. 
  • 90Decanter
    Bright tropical fruits, fresh goosberry, citrus and dried herbs, with a plump, generous concentration and a zingy, salivating finish.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15

Yay to rescuing cats, I haven't had banana cream pie in quite a while but it sounds great, I don't need any more stuff - lots of memories in the old stuff.

Not sure about the quote, pass on meal & drink, yes to the wine, not been to the port.

Bon Voyage⛴️ @LAFFNVEGAS

Today is wash day - laundry, dogs and cars. Laundry requires a trip to laundromat since washer is still not working and the towels from bathing the dogs will need to be washed, so dogs will happen first and I'll do clothes when DH gets home from work so I can take the SUV. I'll wash my car when I go to grocery store, do the dogs when I get back then wash SUV & clothes when DH gets home. Will also go to post office - they show package was picked up, but it wasn't, so where is it? That makes for a full day of in & out. All necessary, none what I consider fun.

Currently 50° headed to sunny 84° with rains returning mid week.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240302_061532.thumb.jpg.723e3d52f143399a89bd589fa88cd41a.jpg

• Like 26

Posted (edited)

Good morning! Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information. Banana cream pie is one of my favorites. 😋 I have the Sound of Music downloaded, it’s one of my favorites. 🙂 

Shopping today with DD and possibly lunch at a Mongolian BBQ. Then hopefully church so I can go to the cemetery early tomorrow. Or I’ll just go after church tomorrow but it will just be busier. 

Prayers 🙏 for the Care List and Cheers 🎉 for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 28

Good Saturday morning. 

Nice selection of days.  Rescue Cat Day should be every day and I am proud of our Daily-ites who rescue cats (and dogs) and take care of strays.  Not sure about the quote but life hasn’t been amusing lately 😉  I’ll pass on the lentils, thanks but YAY on the white wine today 👍 

IMG_1617.thumb.jpeg.f5827b96bed2e11c5096e7ea0927e9ea.jpeg

I’ve had a hard time keeping up on CC so apologies if I missed birthdays or particularly sad moments.  February is a bad month - too many death and heavenly birthdays to remember and the month the doctors said they couldn’t solve Jose’s mystery and I had to start work on a nursing home.  Couple that with the pain in my legs and back and the crap weather this past week and you end up in a funk.   I’ll try to come out of it.

IMG_1627.thumb.jpeg.e502259931ad165b4a1620a4a6019e8f.jpeg

I’m sure the Canadian Daily-ites heard about the Bay of Fundy’s storm on Wednesday.  We went from bone chilling cold and snow to a rain, wind event that was massive followed by a snap freeze.  Suffice it to say, clean up was no fun to be able to get anywhere.  At least here wit the hill, the water ran off the frozen ground.  Neighbours in more low lying areas were not as lucky.  this is a town 20 minutes  away from me:

IMG_2192.thumb.png.84e0d39b6a45e43e0ded4894ccd5ef16.png

People had to be rescued by boat in some areas.  This sign is quite high and was eventually buried.

IMG_2193.thumb.png.4e8a47e0f8de16d65f0a28606602de5c.png

Weather has been a roller coaster ride all week. I ended up buying more ice melt despite the huge amount I used to have in stock. I’m nearly afraid to see what March brings.

IMG_1611.thumb.jpeg.026a8f66cda230b249c0955934fce12d.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

Good morning from a wet and rainy Manaus Brazil. My Martina is a rescue so I will gladly celebrate her day!  I am not fond of banana cream pie and since I rarely buy new things - cheers to old stuff!!  I will pass on the food and drinks, I have never been to the port and the quote made me smile!

What an exhausting day yesterday. I took an excursion for 8 hours with many CCers to see the meeting of the waters, the giant lily pads, an indigenous village and a swim with the pink dolphins!  A delicious lunch was provided. I had the best time. I was supposed to go on a HAL excursion today that would go to the indigenous village that I went to yesterday plus the rubber museum so I skipped it. I am hoping to get to the theatre today but with the rain 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thoughts for all and cheers to everyone!!  Have a great day!!

IMG_6106.jpeg

IMG_6060.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

IMG_5967.jpeg

IMG_5937.jpeg

IMG_5864.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Today is Read Across America DayIMG_0121.jpeg.6b1261dc405893fd1b6d45e76bfa043e.jpegand Dr Suess’ 120th birthday.IMG_0122.jpeg.c1771b6dcc2201bf23215e30fcc0fa07.jpeg

Was notified my flight was delayed prior to leaving for the airport.  Happy to relax at home instead of the airport. Just another reminder of why it is important to fly the day before the cruise.

Wishing everyone the best possible weekend.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Our sweet Sochi is a rescue and every morning when I brush her, I tell her how lucky we are to have found her.  Mmm, I haven't had banana cream pie in ages, nor do I have ingredients for one, so will just have to remember how yummy they are.  Old stuff is pretty good and lasts longer than new stuff.

Our storm hasn't arrived yet, but according to 3 weather sites, it should start snowing around noon.  That'll be fun, as we've already got a good wind blowing.  I listened to the hourly news and the city has already advised which streets would be priority plowing so people know the best route to take if they absolutely have to be out.  @kazuI can't believe the amount of storms your area has - you have to be on the alert all the time, no matter what season!

We had hoped to pick up our friend Wayne from the hospital yesterday, but instead, he was admitted and sent to the cardiac ward.  Apparently his a-fib is out of control, so they're going to try different medications rather than doing another cardioversion which the doctors feel would only be a short term solution.  It appears Wayne may be in at least until Monday, so we'll see what happens.  Because of the coming storm, we may not get up to see him as we had hoped.  We're glad he has his phone and charge with him so we can keep in touch.

The other day when we were out, I happened on some really nice fabric that made it's way home with me, so today I'm going to wash and iron it to get it ready to make more coasters.  DH spends hours on the computer working on his music book, so that gives me time to do what I want as well - for now it will be sewing.  And watching sail-away from Port Everglades this afternoon.

@LAFFNVEGASBon Voyage; I'm looking forward to your "live from" on the Windstar boards.

I'm going to pass on the drink, the wine, and the menu suggestion today - none of it appeals to me.  With the storm coming, I think I'm going to make a small pot of chili (is there ever a small pot of chili???) and might make a batch of 2 hour buns to go along with them so we have something warm and comforting to put in our tummies at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations, especially those with cruises in the near future!

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Looks like only another quarter inch of rain to me since 5 pm yesterday.  That's enough for now.

Here is what has been accomplished in 2 months on the Christmas stocking.  The second photo is the finished product shown on the kit.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a balmy 37F here in mid-Michigan with a forecast of mostly sunny and 54F.  I am going to try an outdoor walk today so I can report on the effectiveness of the physical therapy.  If the old problems persist, then that is more ammunition for the nerve ablation.  Nothing else is on the agenda for today.  

Today's meal should be an interesting one.  Berbere spice is Ethiopian in origin.  It is a mixture of various spices such as   Coriander , Cumin,  Green Cardamom , Dried Red Chili Peppers,  Allspice, Whole , Fenugreek, Black Peppercorn, Sweet Paprika, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Ground Turmeric, Ground Nutmeg, Salt. Normally, it has quite a bit of heat to it, but you can control that by controlling the amount of red chili peppers you add in.  Here is a recipe for making it.  It has you roast whole seeds for some of the ingredients first and then grinding them.  https://www.daringgourmet.com/berbere-ethiopian-spice-blend/

berberespice.jpg.8ebf76be0d6e10b9644d817b44d9fa8c.jpg

This recipe calls for 5 tablespoons of the berbere spice mixture, but says you can cut that down if you want it less spicy.   I'd start with a small amount and work my way up to the level I want.  It is easier to add more than to take out.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/250402/berbere-spiced-chicken-lentil-stew/

berberespicedchckenandlentilstew1.thumb.jpg.99a3d67dc6176dd38f39e7fa417eed42.jpg

Food and Wine says you can replace the berbere spice with garam masala for a similar flavor profile.  The first comment is telling:  she says add the berbere spice slowly and stop when you get to the heat you want.  At 3 tablespoons of the mixture she felt the dish was inedible due to the heat.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/slow-cooker-ethiopian-spiced-chicken-and-black-lentil-stew

berberespicedchickenandlentilstew2.jpg.db26e4917e3d3c05f7b5ccb0ba983423.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Looks like only another quarter inch of rain to me since 5 pm yesterday.  That's enough for now.

Here is what has been accomplished in 2 months on the Christmas stocking.  The second photo is the finished product shown on the kit.

You are doing a fantastic job Sandi.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers we need a "WOW" emoji!  I've done some cross stitch in the past, so know how much work goes into a piece.  I realize you've done others for your family as well, but I have to commend you on taking on such a project for a newcomer to your family!  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1