The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 29th, 2024

Today is "Peace" Rose Day, World Wish Day, and Zipper Day

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.--Henri Nouwen, Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life

Meal Suggestion for today - Mexican-Inspired Grilled Corn Salad with Cotija
Drink of the Day - White Tea
Wine of the Day - Josh Cellars Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Kochi, Japan

Today in History:
1990 Wrecking cranes began tearing down the Berlin Wall at the Brandenburg Gate

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination San Francisco, California eta 04-30

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 04-30

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Gibraltar, UK eta 04-30

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 04-30

Oosterdam

Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey 07:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Seattle, Washington eta 04-30

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Banjul, Gambia eta 5/1

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Kushiro City, Japan Kushiro 07:00 - 15:00

• Like 16
  • Thanks 28

We were in stationed in Germany when the wall came down, lots of mixed feelings. Been to Berlin twice since as a tourist.  

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  Here where I am it's 57F currently with clear skies.  High will be 80 with morning sun and afternoon partly cloudy skies.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmd for helping with the fleet location maps and to Rich @richwmn who put together the info for our enjoyment months ago!  Today there are several nice days to recognize.  "Peace" Rose Day is a day to enjoy a beautiful flower that symbolizes peace, something we all yearn for.  World Wish Day is sponsored by the Make-A-Wish Foundation, a worthy organization.  And zippers which we don't think much about but which are so, so handy.  A lengthy quote today and very though provoking.  Think I'll pass on the meal suggestion, perhaps on the drink and yes to the wine!  Oh my, what a day when they began tearing down the Berlin Wall.  It's surprising how long that atrocity and concept held on. Kudos to President Reagan for moving on that issue and getting something done.  Thanks today to our team Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reporting.

Prayers for DB, great nephew Alex's twin baby boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military men and women overseas in the region.  Many prayers said for all here in need of them, and hopefully they are working!  🙏  I hope Maurice hears from the approval committee for his heart valve surgery, and that Chuck's @catmando's appointment works out well for him and Annie @marshhawk.  🙏  My twin is doing fine after her surgery, and my friends seem to be coping well so they can be removed from any rotation thankfully.  Your prayers work!🙏

Cheers for all celebrating big events in their lives and to those cruising.  🚢🎂🎉🥂  We salute you all.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for doing the Care and Celebration lists for us all.  We are so glad you are here on the Daily!

The port today is another Japanese port, Kochi, Japan.  I have not been there before and have no photos, so here are the links to May 31, 2022 and Nov. 2, 2023 in case you have some photos there to retrieve.

Hope you all have an enjoyable day and wish you a safe one.  Keep well!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for supplying today's daily and fleet reports.

3 important days.

One of our neighbours went to WDW Orlando with Make a Wish with her daughter whose illness is very rare.

Regarding today's quote For us our nearest and dearest is Pauline and me as I'm sure everyone on here would believe the same with their partner's.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Well wishes to everyone who is on the care list.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240429_100652.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_100722.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_100746.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 17

Good morning fron Nieuw Statendam, sailing towards Gibraltar.  Today is a sea day and the sea is running a tad high, but not as much as last night.

Screenshot_20240429_085024_CruiseMapper.thumb.jpg.964793c9fbbe65f7ed3db0b5fcea08a1.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 10

Onward is presently doing 15.5 knots and for the first time in quite awhile we have a little movement with a 3-5 foot sea. We are off the coast of Somalia so the fire hoses are ready here on promenade.Presently we are enjoying the cushioned sun lounges on the partial promenade deck port side. Enjoying a good book but the ocean breeze and the sound of the ocean is threatening to become nap time.

They had a pool side BBQ lunch today and that is also causing drowsiness.

We just love to cruise. It’s going to be hard to return to land.

Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

65 this morning with another sunny day coming up and a high of 84.

Good selection of days.

Great quote on real friendship.

I’ll pass on the meal.

My parents were married 79 years ago today and I showed up 10 months later, my father was in the Navy and came home to Chicago right before Germany surrendered, he was injured at Normandy when his ship stuck a German mine off Utah Beach, he was one of the few survivors losing many of his ship mates. He returned to England where he recovered from his wounds and spent his remaining service time there before returning home in mid April of 1945 and my folks married a couple of weeks later.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Not much to report from here other than the new job is going well, and it's been a very warm spring. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 

20231102_043539.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

A good collection of days today. My grand nephew is a Make a Wish recipient - they do a great service. I agree w/the long quote.

Yes to the meal, drink and wine, not been to the port. Big day in history. 

Mavericks🏀 lost last night. 😪

Currently 64° headed to cloudy 82° with rain returning Wed. When I checked a couple hours ago, temp was 66° & predicred high was sunny 79° so forecast has changed.

Tornado victims of OK need our prayers. Crazy weather across the country - hope everyone stays safe.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240429_042458.thumb.jpg.b09b3092a36b687c7d22bf65654263a2.jpg

Earlier forecast

20240429_011919.thumb.jpg.dca23f097d42d93f01c259bdb1d1d449.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Off to the Chiropractor this morning.  LIngering effects of the cart accident.

White tea cocktail:

The White Tea Shot is sweet and fresh. It has a base of vodka, but tastes like peach and lemon lime soda.

Ingredients:

3 oz vodka
3 oz peach Schnapps
1 oz simple syrup
1 lemon, juiced
1 lime, juiced
4 oz Sprite
1 cup ice cubes
1 orange, sliced for garnish

Directions:

Add ice cubes to a cocktail shaker. Measure vodka, peach schnapps, simple syrup, and juiced lemon and lime. Add it to the shaker
Shake for 30 seconds so everything is well mixed and cold.
Add the sprite to the shaker and stir (don’t shake this carbonation).
Pour into six single shots. Serve the shots with an orange slice or lemon wedge and enjoy.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 6.15.07 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL passing 4/25

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s local eye check today

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, showing improvement

Smitty34877 with injured left shoulder

Sharon in AZ’s DM weak, but improving

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim’s loss of a childhood friend

Oklahomas tornados with 4 dead, 100’s injured

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery went well

Rafinmd’s PSA trending down with therapy

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam May 5 to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic

6 days for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore May 5 to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas

ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 30

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool, rainy Monday.  Not sure what's on the agenda, we were going to work in the garden but that may change.

Three good days to celebrate.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  The drink sounds good to me.  I'm sure I'll like the wine too.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I hope this is the start of a wonderful week.  Have a great day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Mexican Street Corn, also known as Elote, is delicious!  Shucked ears of corn are grilled directly over very hot coals, bringing out the corn's nutty flavor and chars the kernels slightly. The sauce is a blend of garlic, cilantro, chile powder, mayo, and Cotija cheese, plus a final squeeze of lime, makes the corn sweet, salty, savory, nutty, creamy, and tart all at once.  

Cotija cheese is often compared to feta because of its salty flavor, firm texture, and how easily it crumbles. 

Mexican Street Corn Salad I have made this recipe many times and everyone loves it.  First grill the corn on the cob and mix together the mayo, lime juice and zest, and garlic in a small bowl. Cut the corn kernels off the cob and add them to a bowl along with the scallions, Cotija cheese, cilantro, smoked paprika, and jalapeño. Fold in the dressing, and it’s ready to go.  It can be served hot or it can be refrigerated.  I often substitute feta for the cotija cheese because I usually have some in my fridge.  

UqZPEccVmJiPrbrqP2ONII3VvmJlaN-1BgC1_8dF0c4aNdRelQTXpoUObJ9Cm4C11znxGyRDHFJZpNXv6l1kHEe_gHfTwtUxJFE6nbIP8j8YCes38XSW3Hs51gaxGwag8x18VhkDposKv_6QU8X1w3o

Mexican-Inspired Grilled Corn Salad with Cotija  This salad is lighter because it skips the mayonnaise.

ovkJwx9v8FmqkwE04_Ji6afypWQV9BCQI8-n3T8oipXVdZI85h87Kz5nUwD0AYXUYvsHFrfchqzCrgHcMnxmsPnRc1V0iA4m54hUShe8oVlrwwqkrCwiNLHfrKnU0J9hxMhiUBb4jmZHa8rRjaB-vos

Mexican Street Vendor-Style Corn Salad  This is a very basic recipe that uses canned corn.  I would spice it up a bit but it may be a better choice for those of you who like a milder dish.

_zUh0WmoMrWiKE-wZ2L4rhiDAT7vVKFAUf5DEUuUPLHNBFrr1ac6U2nD8c6hSPrDWFo4JS39tFIwMuFx22QtmCDeIm0LswT-5FWNverL8k9utVdfoumayG4vEiJuj7a-hTU2-h0d8BOwy6Q2RhRhdCI

• Like 17
  • Thanks 21

Good morning everyone from a mild and mostly sunny Boston.  Thanks for our daily digest with three nice days to recognize.  I mean, where would we be without zippers?  While I like the quote not all our friends possess those abilities and they care no less than those who do.  The meal sounds like a delicious side dish.  I would definitely like the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Praying for those on our prayer list.  Happy ________ to those of you celebrating today!

• Like 31

Good morning!  Thank you for the reports!!  EXCELLENT!! BRAVO!!

Love today's days!!!  Peace, World Wish...  great thoughts and blessings!!  IF ONLY we could!  And where would we be without the zipper??  Our fingers would be tired of buttons and buttonhooks!

Street Corn is very popular here in Texas!  Many food trucks and restaurants serve it.  I love the recipes!!!

The White Tea recipe does sound YUMMY!!

I remember watching the Wall start to come down on TV!!  THAT was an event!!  I have a small stone crumble of the wall.  I was in Berlin before it came down and travelled through to East Berlin and was a tourist there!  I worried the whole time I was over there, but made it back safely and still have the crowned teddy bear I bought as a souvenir!  

I have no Internet -- our router fried in all the storms here yesterday!  I'm waiting for my child to get it replaced.  the lightning locally has been powerful.  Even with surge-protectors...  We've lost a tv and now a router in the last two weeks!!

Hugs to each of you!!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for today’s FR & Daily, Sandi! Roy, thank you for our maps! And I appreciate the timeline you created. You are our historian!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping track of us! Hard to believe it has almost been a week since your surgery. So thrilled it has helped you. 

Gym, Bindi walks, lots of chores & a dip in the pool are in my future. 

IMG_2778.jpeg.a26f8efa7d65c51b81b92bdf9f6f62c6.jpeg

IMG_2777.jpeg.68dd085e3a80dfd71b6c742680a833dd.jpeg

IMG_2774.jpeg.6a16769613148862e5a0f8ad7ac974ad.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma.  The caregivers.

Terry, you never seem to catch a break. Take care of that shoulder. Praying that you & Tana both improve. 

Gerry, praying Maurice hears soon. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today.  

Josh Cellars Sauvignon Blanc

Easy to find and priced to try. I am amazed at some of the places that carry this wine. Online prices start at $10.88, you might find it for less locally! Vintage does not seem to matter. 🤷🏻‍♀️ That makes me a bit suspicious. Perhaps we should think of this one as a good table wine. 

Winemaker’s notes

Our Sauvignon Blanc is sunshine in a glass. Aromatic and bright with a crisp, clean finish, this wine features flavors of lemon and kiwi and scents of green apple.

Pairs beautifully with seafood appetizers, summer salads, and grilled chicken as well as light and simple foods all year long. This wine is especially well suited for summertime sipping in the sun. 

Bright and crisp, with flavors of lemon and kiwi in the glass, complemented by notes of green apple in the nose.

Food Pairings

Pairs well with seafood appetizers, summer salads, grilled chicken, and other light and simple foods.
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 1

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

@seagarsmoker   Glad to hear the new job is going well.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. It will be 80 later and is already a pleasant 65 and sunny.

i have an appointment to see the rheumatologist tomorrow which I was able to get through the portal. I was amazed as sometimes there is a two months wait to see her. I think it is all the prayers and good wishes that paved the way. Thanks to all.

i had just had surgery in 1990 when the Berlin Wall started to come down. It was a moving experience to watch from my hospital bed. I will celebrate the days and agree with the quote. I think my group would enjoy the recipe but we won’t get good corn until true summer.

@ottahand7, Nancy, I unfortunately had a severe problem with one of the biologicals and now take no specific RA meds. I believe the years that I took  them preserved many of my joints.I am glad that you have been able to take them.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Welcome to Monday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny and going up to 86 today, Summer seems a bit early for me. 

Lots of grading of assignments this week. My calculations show a total of 52 papers. Each must be read and given feedback. I will also be working on the last two chapters of my dissertation today. 

Overdid it over the weekend and now have a sore back. Sometimes I think that I am much younger than my body actually is. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

Its Monday I Can Feel It Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook ...

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Short morning getting ready for eye doctor. Supposed to be hot today, mid 80s, I’m not ready for it yet but it’s better than snow.  It was so nice seeing granddaughter and her DH yesterday, always a lift. 

Lots of heartwarming sharing here!  

Good luck to Annie and Chuck!  Lots of improvements lately, Yay! prayers for those in need… Terry, Tana, Sandi’s family, Terry and Jim…. all our Dailyites and Care list. 

Love the stories, and Bruce’s days. Ahhhh.  I hope somebody has a picture of a Peace Rose.  Later, Maureen

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1