The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 17th, 2024

Today is Graduation Tassel Day, National Walnut Day, and Pinot Grigio Day

I can never read all the books I want -- Sylvia Plath

Meal Suggestion for today - Blueberry Almond Tart
Drink of the Day - Campfire
Wine of the Day - Apothic Red
Destination of the Day - Surabaya, Java Indonesia

Today in History:
1527 Pánfilo de Narváez departs Spain to explore Florida with 600 men - by 1536 only 4 survive

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-18

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

Kiel, Germany 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Limassol, Cyprus 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Isle of Man, Peel-Douglas,UK eta 05-18

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Praia da Vitoria, Terceira Island Azores Portugal eta 05-18

0517World.thumb.png.ac4613df67201a8931ab90797e217c9f.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 24

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Another humid day here today. It is currently 71 degrees (97% humidity) with a forecast of rain today and a high of 81 degrees.

I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend! 

IMG_0101.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  It looks like a nice day outside the Zuiderdam today.  The TV seems to be stuck on 64F so I'll go with that.  Today is day #6 of sea days on our way to Praia da Vitoria, Azores.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting the Fleet Report and Daily for everyone.  How did your cats react to your long absence?  Were they happy to see you again or did they ignore you completely?  🐈

Prayers for all on the Care list and everyone experiencing difficulties in their lives.  I hope there is improvement in your conditions.  Also for DB, and Alex's twin boys.  The people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and the men and women of our military in harm's way.  Three cheers to those with special events and cruises to celebrate!  Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope,and Ann @cat shepard for your fine reporting today.

Today's destination is Surabaya, Java, Indonesia.  This was shown here on March 23, 2021 and Oct. 21, 2023 so the links will be next.  I have not been to Surabaya before so no photos from me.  Thanks in advance for posting yours.

I'm meeting up with the knitting ladies again this morning.  There is Ask the Captain at 11 a.m. in the World Stage, a movie called Wild Mountain Thyme, with popcorn at 2 p.m. and an Ice Cream Social at Lido pool at 3 p.m. Tonight we have dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.  I hope you all enjoy your day no matter what you do!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good morning from a partly sunny 54°F North East England.

3 interesting days.

Yes to walnut and Pinot Grigio days.

Well done all graduates.

Today's meal sounds nice.

Prayers for all who are unwell and happy cruising for those currently cruising.

I wish everyone has a nice day.

Screenshot_20240517_112827.jpg

Screenshot_20240517_112858.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15

Congratulations and prayers for all of us.

Campfire cocktail:

The Ingredients:
1 Marshmallow 1 Tbsp. chocolate syrup 1 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs 1 oz. vodka 2 oz. bailey’s 2 oz. milk ice

The Instructions:
Place your marshmallow in a small pan, over medium heat, and toast until browned (1-2 minutes)
Meanwhile, rim a lowball glass with chocolate sauce, and dip immediately in graham cracker crumbs.
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice, toss in the vodka and bailey’s and shake vigorously (the longer the better. It should be FREEZING cold and well agitated).
Place 2-3 ice cubes in your glass, pour liquor mixture overtop, fill the rest of the glass with milk, top with toasted marshmallow and enjoy

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 6.33.33 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Back today for a second cut of the grass to it's usual length. Rain forecast this afternoon through Sunday.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Today will be cloudy with a slight chance of rain. High in the 60s. 

Today I will spend finishing up with my grading. I am hoping to get out this weekend and work on the vegetable garden. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

:: Click to Give Free food :: Care2 Groups

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Marshhawk’s DH’s vascular surgery not successful

Nickelpenny post back surgery, with complications

RMLincoln’s DH requiring eye drops & pressure massages for drainage incision

JazzyV’s BFF with a fall and sustaining a tib-fib fracture, surgery 5/21

Victims of flooding and storms across the country

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Durangoscots attending a dog show in New Mexico

RMLincoln’s DH with eye drainage incision still open on last evaluation

Luvteaching having made progress with her stuck hip flexor muscle

Rich back and posting the Fleet Report/Daily

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic, MISTER 67 (Enchanted Princess to May 18) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with St. Thomas, Niagarawine (Koningsdam to May 18) 7d Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 20
  • Thanks 20

Good day everyone. We are now back in the Northern Hemisphere after crossing the equator for the fourth time this cruise. A beautiful day with temperatures in the 70’s.

Our anniversary dinner went well followed by Amanda doing an ABBA tribute performance. She is such a talent.

We really appreciated all your kind well wishes on our special day. Thank you.

Went to a culture Namibian customs lecture followed by a lecture on the   I Cloud.

Storage on your phone getting close to being full? Erasing old text messages can get you as much as 5gb back.

We had a lite lunch and more reading. Ready for a nap.

Enjoy your upcoming weekend and thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich. It is another lovely morning here. In spite of it being hot yesterday, there was a lovely breeze & no humidity. Just gorgeous. Even the pool water was perfect. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Hope you are not overdoing it.   Dixie & Debbie thank you both for rounding out the Food & Beverage department with me! Perhaps we should say Adult Beverage!

Gym, Bindi walks, pool time and then dinner at a local place that only is open for dinners once a month when they feature the food of a different country. This month is Mexico. It will be fun. 

IMG_2874.jpeg.8b4380d290ab2bccf4f26466bcad1e98.jpeg

IMG_2880.jpeg.1e55ca7248c55e05fe9909a00e69bd7e.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg.be95e27d52d46ae2dcd8c7f16fe136be.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Apothic Red 2021

This California red blend is priced to try. I used the 2021 vintage, since that is the one the vintner is featuring now. Definitely worth a taste and if not a fan, it would make a great cooking wine. You can find it just about anywhere. Online prices start at $8.97.

Winemaker’s notes

The 2021 Apothic Red is a rich Zinfandel-led Red blend with red silky, smooth layers of black cherry, boysenberry and black pepper. Syrah and Merlot add intriguing notes of ripe blueberry and boysenberry, while a mix of other red varieties add dimension and depth with hints of spice. Soft and plush on the palate, the long finish brings vanilla and mocha characteristics, a reflection of the selective oak aging used to enhance and support the wine’s elegant appeal. 

Viticulture Notes
We selected the majority of the grapes for Apothic Red from the Lodi and Central Valley areas in California. We sourced the Zinfandel from Lodi, a premium producer of intensely concentrated, silky textured fruit. California’s 2021 growing season was cool and mild, excellent conditions for developing mature, layered fruit. A heat spell in August resulted in an earlier than average harvest. Wines from this vintage showcase vibrant acidity and concentrated flavors. 

Winemaking Notes
Red was our first Apothic release: a daringly bold and original blend of California-grown red grapes that created a phenomenon. Grapes for 2021 Apothic Red were de-stemmed, with a portion selected for whole-cluster fermentation. We fermented the wine for five to seven days in a combination of cone-sweep and upright tanks at a temperature averaging 85-88°F. Across all lots, we exercised meticulous temperature control to maximize the extraction of color and dark fruit notes.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 4

Good morning. We had a misty foggy rain earlier and I thought about the sea fret that Graham @grapau27, encounters at his beach. I am at least ten miles away from the water(ocean) but near a large river by one mile. It adds to ongoing hair frizz but at least there is a bit of a facial.

My DS and one grandchild are coming down from New Hampshire later today to help out for the weekend. The other grandchild has soccer tournaments and my DDIL will be with her for that. We look forward to seeing them as it has been a long week. I won’t cook tonight or tomorrow. 
Have a great day today.

• Like 33

Good morning everyone.  It’s cool and overcast here this morning.  

You see lots of graduation tassels here in Boston at this time of year as the many colleges and universities send this year’s graduates out into the world, it’s an exciting time for sure.  I usually have walnuts in some form each day.  I’m not really a Pinot Grigio fan so no celebrating for me.

The quote is an excellent one, timely too as I’m planning a visit to the Boston Public Library later this morning.

The blueberry almond tart sounds delicious and if you insist that I make a meal out of it, well okay!  I think the drink would be too sweet for me and way too much work.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for all on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 27

Good Friday Morning Dailyites! What a week, and I'm glad its over!  Well almost, I do have a shift tonight, and one tomorrow morning, but no more doctors appointments this week.  The computer days the temp is 66, when I sat down a minute ago, it said 67.  It's cloudy.  And a new feature on my computer says that it will start raining in 3.5 hours. I am so sorry for those of you west of me, prayers for those in Texas and Louisiana.  I hope that you all stay safe and dry.

The kittens stayed out of the box all evening, but before we went to sleep the most adventurous white and black one, was sound asleep in the back of the box.  She tried climbing the screen last night, and her mother wacked her right off of it. She will need to be feisty as she is moving to an indoor home with two existing older cats. She has been named Jersey, as her new owner says she has the markings of a cow.  Chuck said last night, he didnt want her to go, he should have chosen that one instead of the black one.  I told him I didnt want the black with white paws to go, and he is very loving.  We call him Turnip, and i am pretty sure he is the son of Collared Greens. The one I chose to keep was the first born, and she is black, brown, dips of white, and frosted gray.  She has wirey fur, and soft fur, and one white toe on her back paw.  I call her Quiffy.  And the last one is solid black, very fuzzy.  We called him Runt, because DH thought he was the runt, but he is not.  He is small though.  I wanted to name him after a F1 driver so I asked the kitten if he liked the name Carlos, and he hissed at me. We are still working on a name for him.

Pictures will come, but I would like to take them when we have a sunny day.  So far when it's sunny I'm working. And the forecast for the weekend, is rain.

Today is the walk the dog day, go to our favorite taco place for lunch, and stop at the store, as we are out of coffee, and cream, and need something for dinner.  And then work until 8. 

Happy Friday-Have a weekend, where you do what you want to do!

b4cf10432f64b3458effe1350a386a29--kliban-cat-cartoon-cats.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Congratulations and prayers for all of us.

Campfire cocktail:

The Ingredients:
1 Marshmallow 1 Tbsp. chocolate syrup 1 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs 1 oz. vodka 2 oz. bailey’s 2 oz. milk ice

The Instructions:
Place your marshmallow in a small pan, over medium heat, and toast until browned (1-2 minutes)
Meanwhile, rim a lowball glass with chocolate sauce, and dip immediately in graham cracker crumbs.
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice, toss in the vodka and bailey’s and shake vigorously (the longer the better. It should be FREEZING cold and well agitated).
Place 2-3 ice cubes in your glass, pour liquor mixture overtop, fill the rest of the glass with milk, top with toasted marshmallow and enjoy

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 6.33.33 AM.png

Is this drink served by Smokey the Bear? 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada!  The unofficial start of summer, sure hope it warms up.

Three good days to celebrate.   Pinot Grigio is my go-to white wine.

I like the quote.

The meal and the drink sound like dessert, but I'm okay with that.  Hope the wine isn't too sweet.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is currently overcast and in the 60's but it is supposed to clear out and temps will rise to the 70's today.  It will be a warm weekend with temps in the 80s.  We finished staining the deck  yesterday and started putting together the storage box.  We had some difficulty since there were no directions included. We tried attaching sides to the bottom of the box, but that wouldn't work.  We were able to attach the sides to each other and then discovered how to attach the bottom, but we have to take the sides apart to do that and we can't get them apart.  I'll try again today and we'll hopefully get the furniture all assembled.  

I would like the pinot grigio.  I liked the Alsatian version Pinot Gris when my sister lived in Strasbourg.  It is difficult to find the Alsatian white wines over here.  Our favorite winery was the Wolfberger winery in Eguisheim.  Walnuts are great and congrats to all the grads.  

I hope we hear some good news from @Nickelpenny, @kazu, and @marshhawk today.

The blueberry almond tart sure looks good!  I'll pass due to carbs and sugars, but I hope the rest of you can enjoy it!   Here's the first recipe:  Blueberry Almond Tart 1

blueberryalmondtart1.thumb.jpg.4aee30765908382a23225a0a1aae6dec.jpg

This next one looks like you can pick it up and eat it like pizza.  Blueberry Almond Tart 2

blueberryalmondtart2.jpg.7d352e3027293f801c2e5b93d3b19ea4.jpg

This last recipe uses a blueberry curd as the filling and tops it with fresh blueberries and almond slivers.  It promises a fair amount of pucker!    Blueberry Almond Tart 3

blueberryalmondtart3.thumb.jpg.62cb28ec6148084b5d57e4868043514a.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich.  Never knew grad tassels date back to the 14th century, thanks for that nugget of information Graham.  Walnuts are great in baked goods.   I love a good Pinot Grigio especially from Friuli region in Italy.  A great quote by Plath.  I have to put handcuffs on myself not to put more books in my Kindle.   Pass on the dessert and the next dessert, the cocktail, and the Apothic red, it looks like a migraine.  I look forward to photos of today's port. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  I hope that your BFF is having less pain.  Prayers for Pennie, Tana, Chuck and Jacqui and everyone lese who if ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents of Gaza.   

It is a beautiful day here.  The driveway got sealed but they left some spots where the coating is thin.   I called twice yesterday and I finally got someone and I said send someone out today!!  We got two pickup loads of plants out of here yesterday for the Farmer's Market but another 1.5 truckloads remain so they will return early Saturday morning to get them.    I hope they make a lot of money on them as they look beautiful.   Have a lovely Friday!   Nancy 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a warm and overcast day at the beach

Not sure what the weather is going to do today. It is what it is.

Lots of graduation tassels this time of year.  The blueberry almond tart sounds really good. May have to try it. Never been to todays port.

Very busy weekend here in Cocoa Beach. The boat races are this weekend. There is a parade of all the boats this afternoon coming down A1A. They will be all lined up downtown tonite which is also Friday Fest. Tomorrow are the trials and Sunday the races. Throw in a launch tonite and the usual cruise traffic and it will be bedlam! Going out early this AM to stock up for the weekend. Then staying put!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good cloudy morning. Showers are expected later today.

TT has a wellness visit scheduled for this morning, right now he’s sleeping on my bed.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Still cloudy in north Jersey, 50/60s which works for me. Happy it’s not hot!  

Adjusting the eye care regime today so I can go to my mindful meditation class. It gives us both a little beak. 

Tomorrow we’ll venture to Newark for Beethoven’s 3rd. I haven’t been to Newark since I came back from Colorado in June of 1978 to attend my Rutgers-Newark graduation. I completed my MS in geology there in Sept 77 and immediately had a job in CO. Stayed west until 2021. Didn’t expect to ever live back east again but it feels good, familiar!  

Blessings to all in need of healing comfort or hope. Glad to hear Terry that you’ll have family helping this weekend. I hope the shoulder is healing. Are you near the Hudson?  It can be so picturesque !  

Cheers to all celebrating happy milestones, you remind us Life is Good🌈

Smooth travels to all away especially our cruisers. DGD was delayed 2 hrs in Detroit during their overnight flying, but arrived safe (and sound-no more kidney stone pain 🤞) at their destination in CA about 4am ET. Ugh.  They’ll enjoy the wedding!  I used to do that kind of scheduling long ago but now I think it would take me a week to recover!  

Enjoy something beautiful this unique day!  Thank you all for being here. Maureen 

• Like 27

Good morning from a partly cloudy central Texas.  It is 63F with a predicted high of 81F.  There is a 4mph breeze, and the humidity is 97% with a dew point of 62F.  The humidity will drop as the day warms up.  We were lucky yesterday to just get rain, lots of rain, but no damaging winds or hail here.  By the time the rain ended, we received just over an inch of rain.  I hope Joy @Seasick Sailor, Lambie @LambKnuckles, and Elizabeth @Haljo1935did not have any damage either.  Houston was not so lucky with four people being killed due to the weather.  The wind was so strong windows in tall buildings were blown.  Houston was built on a swamp, so there was the usual flooding, too. 

The history of the graduation tassels is interesting, and thank you, Graham @grapau27 for sharing the information about the tassels.  Someone can have my walnuts, since they interfere with my thyroid medicine.  Pinot Griglio is all right when I can't find my Riesling.

The Sylvia Plath quote fits me perfectly.  I probably won't be able to read all the books I have and all the books on my Kindle.  Maybe I could if I did nothing else.

The blueberry almond tart looks interesting, and I like the look of the second one.  I also have a very good lemon blueberry pound cake recipe, which is good in the summer.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice and the price is great.

We have not been to Surabaya.

An interesting day in early Florida history.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad your DS and grandson will be there this weekend to help you.  I hope your granddaughter's team wins this weekend.  I'm sorry it was such a long week.  HUGS to you, Tana, the teenager, and the rest of the family.

@dfish  Debbie, instructions with no words is a pet peeve of mine, along with those where the print is too small to read the words.  Good luck putting everything together.

@cunnorl  Charlene, staying home this weekend sounds like a good idea with all that is going on in your area.

@puppycanducruise  HAPPY VICTORIA DAY weekend, Melanie.  I hope the weather cooperates.

We got an email at 7:03 this morning that we had an appointment at 8 to have the windshield replaced in their shop, but please be there ten minutes early.  The shop is at least an hour drive away, plus we were not up or dressed, and would need to move cars around.  At 7:09 they called and said the new windshield was cracked and they needed to reschedule the appointment.  At that time, we had not seen the email.  Again, I asked for a 10am or even better an 11 am appointment.

437942901_812604460893835_1560071794855859315_n.jpg.1b4a20d16e1d794a1ebc0b9dced80a20.jpg

413964610_752474573582219_6887980644117095185_n.jpg.1d34ccb3c80d8c4739ca339719ef75f2.jpg

441463135_847513347391609_7341420907167443533_n.jpg.a85c358deb6ae908d7b8ac8033e56ac0.jpg

441970225_847519344057676_491229963248750725_n.jpg.060adf11d43e1c8fa36a168546d01f37.jpg

442406985_847515054058105_3792925622755654615_n.jpg.c8556fb4e06c05d40f95c8f895b4c031.jpg

441877336_122185577486010688_6200622821542453914_n.jpg.17e03b67f03264fbf4a2311aafe026d6.jpg

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 15