Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruzin Terri and DH in Barbados

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia, discharged to home

Nickelpenny post back surgery, doing well, good report from surgeon

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Suslor (Rotterdam June 8 to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends

1 day for swin26 (Rotterdam June 8 to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun

2 days for Cruzn single (Westerdam June 9 to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice

2 days for Mtn2Sea (Cunard QM2 June 9 to June 15) 6d WB TA Crossing

7 days for Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas June 14 to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen

Mr. Boston (Volendam to June 8 ) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), Luvteaching (Majestic Princess to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage, StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Mtn2Sea (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels

• Like 17
  • Thanks 29

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 this AM heading up to 92.

Good selection of days.

I like the quote.

I would give the meal a try.
We loved Bermuda, one of our favorite islands, we sailed on the old Celebrity Horizon out of NYC back in 2001, we returned to New York a week before 9/11.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 35

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  Today is a sea day as we head back to Ijmuiden, Netherlands to end this Baltic segment of our cruise.  We’re feeling some motion on the ship today which is new because this has been a very calm cruise.  The weather report says 54F, it’s partly cloudy and some rain showers are possible.  This morning I got back to work cross stitching in the ice cold Ocean Bar, then went to lunch where I had half a Dive-In burger along with some "Cake Me Away" chocolate fudge cake (a few bites) with a scoop of Rocky Road ice cream.  I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist.  Tonight is Pinnacle Grill again!

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily.  World Caring Day and World Food Safety Day sound important and necessary.  I wonder if we even have a VCR stored in our storage room?  Probably not.  Interesting quote by Jackie Kennedy.  I’ll pass on the meal, drink and wine.  A big day for the Vatican in 1929.  Thanks to our F&B ladies for their reports today, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for our Care list folks! Tana, Terri's DH @Cruzin Terri, Joy @Seasick Sailor, Jacqui @kazu, Jane @lazey1, Ann @Vict0riann and Chuck @catmando to name a few. Hoping all the pain, infections and various ailments are on the mend.  Prayers too for DB and the twin sons of great nephew Alex and wife.  They are coming along fine and getting closer to full term!  Prayers also for Israel and Ukraine, the hostages remaining and our military members overseas.  A prayer was answered for me yesterday and I made sure to say thanks this morning. 🙏 For all celebrating happy events in their lives, and for all cruising, have a wonderful time! 🚢 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping and posting the lists every day for us!  We appreciate you especially during the trying times you’ve experienced. 

The destination today is Kings Wharf, Bermuda, a new one for the Daily.  Therefore no links today.  I have been to Bermuda before but we docked right downtown in Hamilton on the Prinsendam.  We ended up visiting St. George’s, Bermuda that day and enjoyed our time spent there.  If you have been to Kings Wharf before please share some photos with us.

Hoping this is a great Friday for you all.  Please stay safe and keep well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Friday!

Cool and cloudy here.  The temperature has plummeted and should only reach 16°C (61°F) this afternoon.  A few days ago we had temperatures in the low 30sC (high 80sF).  I'll have to wear a jacket when I take Bertie for his morning walk.

I think we still have a VCR around here somewhere, I know there are some VHS tapes in the basement.  I'm thankful Dailyites are such caring people.  Food safety is important.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the meal or the wine.

I've never been to Bermuda.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 36

Balck Widow cocktail:

Black Widow may leave you thinking about creepy, crawly spiders. Or a Marvel movie starring Scarlett Johansson. But take one sip of this cocktail, and it may change your associations forever. Because this Black Widow combines tequila, lime juice and agave nectar (so, the makings of a good Margarita) with fresh blackberries—hence the name—and basil leaves. Lest you were concerned, it gets its bite from that blanco tequila, not venom.

The recipe comes from Duggan McDonnell, a San Francisco bartender and the author of “Drinking the Devil’s Acre: A Love Letter from San Francisco and Her Cocktails.” He begins by muddling the blackberries and basil in a shaker, releasing the former’s juices and the latter’s sweet herbal qualities. This step not only provides a punch of fresh flavor, but it also produces the drink’s bright-red color.
Choose your favorite tequila for this cocktail, but make sure you select a blanco rather than a reposado or añejo. The dry, peppery, earthy profile of an unaged blanco props up the drink with a solid backbone and merges perfectly with the sweet berries and tart lime. On the other hand, a tequila that spent time in barrels would feature oaky accents like vanilla and caramel, which you don’t want in this drink.
Shake everything together with ice, strain the refreshing contents into your glass and don’t forget the fresh basil and blackberry garnish for the full effect. This is one Black Widow whose bite brings pleasure, not pain.
Ingredients:
3 basil leaves
2 blackberries
1 1/2 oz. blanco tequila
1 oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon agave nectar
Garnish: basil leaf
Garnish: blackberry

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 6.33.49 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 19

Thank you for taking the time to post the Daily!!  And all the reports and explanations and recipes and photos!

What good things to commemorate today!!  Yes, I remember VCRs -- and even when we only had three TV channels!!  World Caring would be WONDERFUL!!!  And food safety is ALWAYS important!!

Jackie Kennedy said that before Facebook...  or Insta or Tweeter...  How fore-seeing!!!  As an avid photographer, I love to record my life, to save the great sights and try to capture feelings or expressions...  but, YES, I'd give up my camera, and many times I miss "the" shot -- because I want to experience and enjoy the moment!!!

I'll try the meal and drink and wine...  and I hope, someday, to see Bermuda!!  I've been to the other two points on the Bermuda Triangle...

God Bless each of the ones in our prayers and thoughts and wishes...  God bless those with unspoken prayer needs...  And I pray each of us has a wonderful day to experience!!!

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

I had yesterday's Cocktail of the Day for the first time on our first trip to Italy. We stayed at a hotel with a roof top lounge in Verona overlooking the Arena. The bartender concocted his own in batches. It was then served in a flask along with a glass of ice. One of my top five cocktails!

Have a Great Weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 37

20 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Friday!

...Cool and cloudy here.  The temperature has plummeted and should only reach 16°C (61°F) this afternoon.  A few days ago we had temperatures in the low 30sC (high 80sF).  I'll have to wear a jacket when I take Bertie for his morning walk.

I don't know how to respond to someone, IN JUNE, saying they need a jacket to go outside!!!  

In Texas, in June, the only reason for a jacket is to go inside where someone has the air-conditioning too low for me!!!

HUGS and Bless you!!!  I can only dream and wish for those cooler mornings!!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

3 good days today - food safety is something we shouldn't have to worry about, it should just be. We have a working VCR as we've not converted tapes to digital but have thinned the tape collection to under a dozen.

I am aligned w/Ms Kennedy's quote. Pass on the meal & the drink, would like to try the wine, not been to the port. Big day in history for Vatican City - they've sure been a trivia answer many times since then 😉 I was present for the Christmas tree 🎄 installation in Vatican City last year😎

Yesterday's plans changed quickly - the searing pain that woke me up at 4am settled into my right side and lower back. Urgent Care would not see me saying I had to go to the ER. Luckily there is an in-network ER hospital less than 2 miles from my house. If it was appendicitis they would have to transfer me; kidney stones they could treat. I was rooting for stones 🫣 So by 3:30, I had canceled both the OT & PT appointments as well the remaining work calls and was headed home w/4 Rx, an apology for the pain that was in my future & a signed authorization to excuse me from work for a week. Dr said let them know if I wasn't ready to go back then & they would amend the RTW date. I canceled today & Mon PT and will address the rest daily. I really need to keep Tues eye appt if possible; otherwise, that will be 3 missed procedures. I made it through 3 work calls before I told bossman I was done & setting on OOO; he was thrilled.🙄

Thank you everyone for the D-Day rememberances yesterday. 

Currently 73° w/79% humidity headed to 95° & 81% humidity. It's an Ozone Action Day, so take care when going outside. Rains return on Sunday. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

Screenshot_20240607-050831_Weather.thumb.jpg.2461d806ff4afd9bfca3cf2cd47e8c2a.jpg

20240607_051140.thumb.jpg.56be9648adaff5e0c27eb2e00b0dc8a0.jpg

20240607_051038.thumb.jpg.4f293ea2158edfa5600e0497bb492f36.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Beautiful day here in Monte Carlo. One of the nice perks about our ship is that the Onward is small enough to be able to dock in harbor amongst the mega yachts.

Mega yachts indeed and some that have passed by are worth over $150 million. Our beautiful yacht is bigger then theirs!😄

We started packing and left for lunch and wine.🥲

The crew had a nice event this morning for World Voyagers. Champagne breakfast on top deck outdoors as we sailed into Monte Carlo. Real fancy breakfast appetizers and French Champagne.

We are here until ten PM and will have the harbor rocking as we have White Night party.

Tomorrow is a sea day then we sadly disembark and fly home.

What a great cruise it has been. We are so Blessed to be able go on such an adventure.

Thanks for the reports and postings. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b1e96caffb6e673a6c0a90ea20afcf8b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.765a008c966755fe28ece87495cf807a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.97a14055fdc733df4597f8e2d9428a15.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d5cc60b8f9211fca64a49778b9ce0795.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4368469861551ddcb2eef029708446ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4698825b0e8d706c7e8ab499e4d43475.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.de05a8861e183396239d568935c7de8d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a838cec45430ee061b8d9b7d42c8221d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34dcc3c26059e45814591afae11960c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bd70fbaf207a656e3fbe9d8978cb8e42.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning. Yesterday was brutally hot until the afternoon breeze kicked in. But we finally had rain! Just a bunch of light showers finished off with brief T-storm, but the air felt so much better after. A literal drop in the bucket, but it is a start. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I am so glad that your surgeon gave you a great report! But even happier that the pain and numbness are gone. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and pool time will keep me busy. 

IMG_2963.jpeg.fb80770b06163bd1c2f740d36322a502.jpeg

IMG_2961.jpeg.1a66ecc8ef76da962c0d33fe67542085.jpeg

IMG_2962.jpeg.deeb0f64d142af1efb8c2541f4964bdd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Joy, good thing you went to have your ankle checked!

Elizabeth, I am so sorry to read what you are dealing with. Praying you get relief soon. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2021 Traminette

Pick a vintner, any vintner. Most of them are in the Northern parts of the US: New York, Michigan, Maryland & Virginia. Quite a few vintners offer online orders and prices are fairly reasonable for this hybrid white wine. Online prices started at $14.99. 

Vintner’s notes

This delicious and versitile wine jumps from the glass with floral aromas of honeysuckle, lilac and apple blossom. Juicy and refreshing with a touch of citrus, this medium bodied wine is great to enjoy on its own or with lighter dishes and desserts. All AmRhein's wines are made from 100% estate grown grapes cultivated in our three vineyard locations in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia since 1995.

Traminette is a hybrid grape created by crossing Gewurztraminer with a North American grape creating a grape with similar qualities to Gewurztraminer but with better disease resistance and cold hardiness.  That is why we can grow it here in our original estate vineyard with the highest elevation of our three vineyards.  Unfortunately, the bears like it as well, and wiped out our entire crop last year from the vineyard here on the property.  Fortunately, we planted another acre 4 years ago in our Franklin County Vineyard and got our 1st crop last year.  If you’ve had our previous Traminettes, you will notice lower acid levels and it will seem sweeter, even though it has the same 2% residual sugar.  You will get the classic Traminette floral nose with lots of juicy pineapple on the palette and a bright lingering finish.  This wine pairs beautifully with Thai cuisine and other spicy dishes.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

3 good days today - food safety is something we shouldn't have to worry about, it should just be. We have a working VCR as we've not converted tapes to digital but have thinned the tape collection to under a dozen.

I am aligned w/Ms Kennedy's quote. Pass on the meal & the drink, maybe try the wine, not been to the port. Big day in history for Vatican City - they've sure been a trivia answer many times since then 😉 I was present for the Christmas tree 🎄 installation in Vatican City last year😎

Yesterday's plans changed quickly - the searing pain that woke me up at 4am settled into my right side and lower back. Urgent Care would not see me saying I had to go to the ER. Luckily there is an in-network ER hospital less than 2 miles from my house. If it was appendicitis they would have to transfer me; kidney stones they could treat. I was rooting for stones 🫣 So by 3:30, I had canceled both the OT & PT appointments as well the remaining work calls and was headed home w/4 Rx, an apology for the pain that was in my future & a signed authorization to excuse me from work for a week. Dr said let them know if I wasn't ready to go back then & they would amend the RTW date. I canceled today & Mon PT and will address the rest daily. I really need to keep Tues eye appt if possible; otherwise, that will be 3 missed procedures. I made it through 3 work calls before I told bossman I was done & setting on OOO; he was thrilled.🙄

Thank you everyone for the D-Day rememberances yesterday. 

Currently 73° w/79% humidity headed to 95° & 81% humidity. It's an Ozone Action Day, so take care when going outside. Rains return on Sunday. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

Screenshot_20240607-050831_Weather.thumb.jpg.2461d806ff4afd9bfca3cf2cd47e8c2a.jpg

20240607_051140.thumb.jpg.56be9648adaff5e0c27eb2e00b0dc8a0.jpg

20240607_051038.thumb.jpg.4f293ea2158edfa5600e0497bb492f36.jpg

Elizabeth I’m so sorry to hear about the terrible pain you’re in. I pray for help with it soon. Like Vanessa, you shouldn’t have to wait for medical intervention so long. Good wishes sent your way. 🙏🏻

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Friday Morning Dailyties! When I got off work at 10 last night I found DH at the home computer, cursing and throwing paperwork on the floor.  Turns out "he who forgets to tell me things"  was supposed to have a mental behavioral online talk with someone from Northside hospital this morning, and he was trying to get all of his paperwork scanned and sent.  A bit too late, and he couldnt figure out how to do it. I couldnt do it for him, ( I dont know how) nor did he want me to, but I would have been upfront and told the people at the hospital that I did not have the knowledge to complete said requirement.  I went to bed at midnight, and he came to bed at 2.  I asked if he had finished, and he said yes.  I asked what time the meeting was, and he said he had cancelled it. 

Both his father and sister had Alzheimer's, and now I'm wondering.  And now he is up, so I will move on before a situation gets weirder.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Good sunny morning, it’s supposed to be a beautiful day with less humidity.

Bermuda wa my 1st cruise in 1976 on the SS Statendam. I loved docking in Hamilton and also St George. I did one Royal cruise that docked at Kings Wharf.

Today is also National Donut Day according to an email from a local bakery market.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 34

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 55°F and partly sunny.

We still have a VCR/DVD combo.

2 good other days.

Curious but true  quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 30

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily and maps @richwmn.    Our DVD player is long gone, children deserve special care every day and I think we get a warning about a food recall almost daily.  @1ANGELCAT thanks for the reminder of National Donut Day if I was near town I might even celebrate with one!  Jackie Kennedy was very private so I guess that is appropriate for her.   I will pass on the meal, would like the Black Widow minus the Basil and the Traminette might be available at the very nice winery we visit from time to time in SW Michigan.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for you @Haljo1935 that your pain will abate quickly.   Prayers for  Tana, Chuck, Annie, Terrie, Jim and Jacqui and for everyone else in our group who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all of those in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

It is 53 degrees, cloudy and a strong wind today,  No fishing will be on the docket and probably little outside work with the wind.  At least the wind will dry my laundry which is built up after days of on and off rain, we dry on the line here as we are off the grid.  My back started poorly yesterday but I had a good evening and a good night and a good start to the day.   Maybe the prednisone is kicking in.   Have a lovely Friday!  Nancy 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny today with a high of 79. Wrapping things up as I prepare to travel to North Carolina tomorrow. Still have to pack. Tomorrow will be a very early day having to get up ta 3. I have a car service taking me to the airport. At east I can take a nap once I get to the hotel. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Friday Cat Meme - IdleMeme 

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a nice sunshiny morning here in mid-Michigan.  Temps are expected to be in the mid 70s, so a perfect day to me.  

@marshhawk I don't know what to say.  But hugs to you as you wade through all this.

@Haljo1935 I assume the pain is from kidney stones?   They are horrible and I hope you can pass them quickly.

@ottahand7 I am happy to hear that you had a good night and a better morning.  I hope the prednisone is doing its job.

I'd like to try both the drink and the wine.  I like a good Gewertztraminer, so this wine sounds like something I could enjoy.  

I got the cake part done yesterday.  It is a brown sugar cake with pecan pie filling and a brown butter icing.  I hope it all works out or I will be on my way to Meijer for a grocery store cake.  

Spinach veggie wraps with hummus?  Hmmmm.  Actually, there are a lot of things you can do with this to make it your own and to your liking.  Not a fan of hummus?  Use an aioli instead or some guacamole.  Feel free to add in the vegetables of your choice.  Watching carbs?  Use a low carb tortilla.  They generally have more fiber in them and that is probably a good thing.  You can even add in some turkey or ham if you like.  Veggie Spinach Wrap

spinachwraps1.thumb.jpg.6859e7913f2195aa5555e10b7436564d.jpg

This one has some alternative veggies that you can use as well as other ideas for the dressing instead of hummus.  Also, if you really want to eliminate the starchy carbs, you can use a large romaine lettuce leaf.    Another Veggie Wrap

spinachwraps2.thumb.jpg.56baf9b5c96c91b5ebacc3a510a37166.jpg

Just a slightly different variation on the wraps.  More Veggie Wraps

spinachwraps3.thumb.jpg.1e2f9d4afd630754266c02962876760c.jpg

I hope that gives you some ideas on what you can do to make your veggies more exciting!  With a low carb tortilla, they look good to me!  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

We had a lot of thunder and lightening last nite and then it finally rained. Not long but it is a beginning. We will be moving into the daily rain season shortly.

I agree with todays quote. So many have their heads in their phones that they are missing what is happening around them.

We were all very happy to finally see the Starligner launch. It was a long time coming. Still has a few problems so an extra prayer that the 2 astronauts can arrive safely back to earth.

We bought a new car yesterday, picking it up this afternoon. 

@aliaschief Cant believe that your amazing journey is almost over. Safe travels home.

Golf tomorrow morning early. Then who knows!!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28

Good morning. It is cloudy and going up to 80 later. It seems less humid .

DD DH and I were in Kings Wharf on a Veendam cruise a long time ago. 
No VCR here but I will celebrate world caring day. The meal sounds good to me but the executive chef has requested soup today.I have both lentil and black bean soup simmering and should make everyone happy tonight.

I have tried to find a good recipe for rice  and  red beans and yesterday made one that was ok but not great. Does anyone have a good recipe?  I don’t understand what I am doing wrong…..

@Haljo1935, Elizabeth, did you find out the cause of the sudden pain onset? It sounds awful and I hope you get some relief soon.

@SeaSickSailor, Joy, I am so glad you went back so that your wound could be attended to. I hope it looks and feels better this morning. Are you able to walk without pain?

@Nickelpenny, Pennie, thanks for answering my question the other day. I think you are the busiest retired person! I am glad you enjoy it and I am sure the students enjoy you.

@marshhawk, Annie, my heart aches for you and Chuck as you negotiate your way through this very difficult time. I found that I had to ask the docs direct questions and not be too worried about the answers. The elephant in the room just gets bigger when it is not addressed. Cancer is cruel.

@aliaschief, I am sad that your wonderful cruise is ending. I appreciated the pictures and commentary.

Enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3