The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 12th, 2024

Today is International Cachaca Day, International Falafel Day, and Loving Day

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. - Edmund Burke

Meal Suggestion for today - Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Drink of the Day - Americano
Wine of the Day - Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Today in History:
1931 Al Capone is indicted on 5,000 counts of prohibition and perjury

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Kirkwall, Orkney Island Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 21:30

Oosterdam

Barcelona, Spain 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Honningsvag, Mageroya Island Norway eta 06-13

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Zuiderdam

Runavik, Eysturoy, Faroe Islands 07:00 - 16:00

0612Alaska.thumb.png.4b2e6d1112499e7193e10490f0ffffc9.png

0612Atlantic.thumb.png.a978ad1171f456293fa2fcf6a73497e9.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 27

Americano cocktail:

The Americano is an IBA official cocktail composed of Campari, sweet vermouth, and for the sparkling version, club soda and garnished with a slice of lemon. The cocktail was first served in creator Gaspare Campari's bar, Caffè Campari, in the 1860s. Wikipedia

Ingredients:
1 oz Campari,
1 oz Red Vermouth,
Soda Water

Preparation:
Pour the Campari and vermouth over ice into glass, add a splash of soda water and garnish with half orange slice.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Half an Orange Slice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 6.15.43 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

Good morning friends!  Today is a cloudy, windy day in Runavik, Faroe Islands.  Temp is about 49F.  We’re here from 7 am to 4 pm.  We went out to walk around the village of around 4000 people. According to cruisetimetables.com we are the only ship here in June, with 3 ships scheduled in July and 3 ships for August.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily and the location maps which are so helpful.  Today we are supposed to recognize cachaca, a distilled spirit similar to rum made from sugar cane juice and it comes from Brazil.  In addition it’s also International Falafel Day which I’ll pass on.  Loving Day sounds like you can’t go wrong though!  A good quote.  I’ve never heard of stir fry made with ground beef before.  No to the Americano but yes to the Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc.  They really nailed Al Capone in 1931, didn’t they?  5000 counts!  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepardfor your very important reports today.

Happy Birthday wishes to Chuck @catmando and I hope you enjoy the yummy First Watch breakfast. 

Prayers today for DB and Alex’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the troops in the region.  Prayers for all here on the Daily Care list.  I hope Tana starts feeling better soon.  Terri @Cruzin Terri, safe travels home Thursday and I hope your cold and stomach bug are soon things of the past.  So sorry to hear of Chuck’s @catmando DB Scottie’s stroke and hope he is able to recover from that.  Ann @Vict0riann best wishes and prayers sent to you as you prepare for your surgery on June 27.  We’re thankful they could schedule it so soon.  Jacqui @kazu I hope there is some relief from your foot pain and things start looking rosier in your and Ivan’s lives.  Congrats to @erewhon on your five year anniversary.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and cruises!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for continuing to post for us each day and keep us on track.

The port of the day is a new one, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.  I have not been anywhere in the Dominican Republic but that’s not a problem for me.  I do hope someone will have some photos to share though.  And of course no links.

Hopeful you will all enjoy your Wednesday.  Stay safe and keep well.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful but wet Port Charlotte.

78 right now with a high of 83, we’ve had rain all night as that system from Cuba continues to move north dumping rain all over south and central Florida, the forecast is more of the same for a few more days. Our Golf course has been shut down and I’m not sure when we will play again.

I have no idea what cachaca day is about.

Interesting quote.

We have been to the Dominican Republic but not to Santo Domingo. When I smoked cigars, I only smoked Dominicans, they were a lot milder than Cubans.

Al Capone wasn’t all bad, my parents grew up close to his hotel headquarters on the near Southside of Chicago and during the early days of the depression before Capone went to jail he had soup and donut lines for everyone in the neighborhood.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with falls; leg and wounds

Cruzin Terri with a cold and stomach bug

Marshhawk’s DH Catmando’s DB Scottie suffered a stroke

Lazey1 recovering from Covid

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, stomach bug

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s in-utero identical twins

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 74th Birthday to marshhawk’s DH Chuck (catmando)!

Vict0riann’s DH Pat returns home from England

Erewhon passing the 5 year milestone mark

Cruzin Terri and DH in Barbados

Overhead Fred and DW at Canada Cottage

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas June 14 to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen

3 days for Himself (Eurodam June 15 to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer

Mtn2Sea (Cunard QM2 to June 15) 6d WB TA Crossing, swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun, Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Hump Day.

Cloudy but not as cool this morning.  We should have a pleasant afternoon, forecast high of 24°C (75°F). 🙂

I don't know what cachaca is, I like falafels and I love my husband.

Thought provoking quote.

The meal, drink and wine sound fine to me.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for so many. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 32

Good cool and sunny morning, it’s going up to about 80 today and then the heat starts tomorrow. Next week is supposed to be in the 90’s .

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 27

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 27

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily and the Maps each day Rich!  I learned what Cachaca was when it was a cocktail a while ago so it is worth a day of celebration, especially in Brazil.  Pass on the falafel, I think it shows up in the MDR on a BHB from time to time.  A very true quote, there is always to help even if in little ways.   I have been to DR flown in and cruised in but not to Santo Domingo.    I will pass on the ground beef stir fry even though we have all the ingredients today.   Pass on today's cocktail but today's SB is one we bring to potlucks to drink and share.    

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa!   Prayers for @catmando DB after him having a stroke.   I hope that your last full day in Barbados gives you and Jim rest and some sunshine today @Cruzin Terri.   Prayers for Tana, it sounds like she is suffering more than usual with additional issues added in.   Continued prayers for Chuck and Jacqui and all of those who are grieving or ailing.    Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, the people of Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza. 

We had a long day in town yesterday but things went off smoothly.   We dropped off our trash, bought bird food and then went for our mail.   A few things to accomplish at the Post Office and off we headed to Iron Mountain an hour away with a detour in the mix.  We went to the Urgent Care and I was in and out in less than an hour including check in, nurse #1 then nurse #2 and then a PA.   Meanwhile John went grocery shopping at his favorite store.  Just as I had figured there was no help for me there other than an RX for muscle relaxer and recommendation of Lidocaine patch but it accomplished what I needed.  I have discharge papers to show I saw a provider and was using all methods to reduce the pain so if it acts up again I can go to the ER and get started on the ultra sound guided injection in my SI joint.  I remember my mother going to a Osteopath to get a shot in her back, I never knew what she was suffering from.  I guess with a family with 4 kids at the dinner table Mom's issues were at the bottom of the totem pole.  :classic_sad:  Then we had a nice Mexican lunch special and then headed to Walgreen's for my RX, Walmart and then to my 2:00 nail appointment.  Then to Spread Eagle Wisconsin to pick up some Pusser's Rum and another grocery for ground chuck then ending with a pizza at our favorite local watering hole.

A warm day finally ahead of us and we may see 80.  It was so chilly in the cabin when we returned, 65, we turned on the propane emergency lights to cut the chill.  I am going to finish one small patch of string trimming today and then we will go fishing if the winds aren't too high.   Have a lovely Wednesday!   Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Its 67 and sunny today, and the air conditioning man is supposed to come today!  But now I have to figure out when if we are going out for breakfast.

Gifts to wrap, I will be back!

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Cloudy, a tiny breeze and very humid. We had a good, soaking 15 minutes of rain yesterday! But before it rained, the humidity was so thick I could feel it in my skin. We are now only supposed to get about 1.5 inches through Saturday. We need a lot more. The system is staying South of me. So Charlene in Cocoa Beach & Mister 67 in Tampa are getting some of the same system that Dixie is enjoying. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of our happenings! I appreciate the work you put into this each day. 

Bindi walks, gardening, HIIT, and chores will keep me busy. I snuck in some pool time yesterday, so if weather permits - I will sneak some more in today. 

IMG_2989.jpeg.7a52f2653a417a3e6bb37c6d2f9d597d.jpeg

IMG_2988.jpeg.9b8096438d1949d0dcb25a3299dac133.jpeg

IMG_2993.jpeg.0859f857f50db1be2923aeddb2fc82a3.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc

Our second boxed wine! Easy to find & priced to try. And no broken bottles!Online prices start at $16.99.

Winemaker’s notes

Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc speaks to dining al fresco at a backyard bar-b-que or lunch on the golf course. What could be more refreshing than lime zest and lemon grass? With a zip of citrus, melon and a touch of minerality. 

PAIRS WITH

Pair it with light meals, like grilled chicken skewers or a salad with goat cheese and vinaigrette.

WINE DETAILS

Alcohol: 13.5%

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 5

Good morning and it’s really is morning for me. Pretty much back on Central Time. Bags are unpacked. Received notification yesterday that are luggage forward pieces are already in Atlanta so we should be getting them soon. I have been impressed with that service so far.

Today is one of my few days that I do not have an appointment for something. Maybe visit our neighbor and jump in their pool. Here in NW Florida we are not being affected by the tropical rain the peninsula is getting.

@catmando Happy Birthday to you.🎂

Have been to today’s port of call several times. We are pretty burned out with Caribbean cruising as we have done just about all there is to do. We are from Florida so we have the beaches here. When we go now the ship is the usual destination.

Rich appreciate your diligence and dedication in being editor and chief of the Daily. 
This making my own coffee and breakfast is rather a unique experience. Making my own bed is work! 
Have a great hump day everyone and here’s to good health. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. I love falafel but have yet to find a recipe I like to make them at home. Loving Day is in honor of the Supreme Court decision in Loving v Virginia. Our teenager is bi racial and could not believe it took until 1967 for this to be the law. 
I have not been to the port and  the recipe does not appeal. I didn’t bother to cook last night and had cereal for dinner. We will see how today goes.

@catmando,Happy Birthday to you!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Wednesday morning.

Don’t have much to say.  My cold is in full bloom.  Don’t know how I am going to manage tomorrow.  

Will try to get packed today and then rest as much as I can.

DH doing the best he can.

Can’t wait to get home.

@catmando  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Have a good day everyone.

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone. My two youngest grandsons graduate high school today and tomorrow. Both will be off to college in the fall. The two oldest are spending the summer in Israel and the third oldest graduated college in May and is finishing up some college courses. It’s been an exciting summer.

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is another glorious start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  The sun is shining and temps are supposed to hit the mid 80s.  Originally they had forecast high 80s and low 90s, but that got revised.  I'll take it!  

Sue is going to pick up River for a few days.  Some of her cousins on her dad's side are coming into town tomorrow and this will be a chance for River to meet them.  

I have an appointment as follow up to my test injection last week.  Hopefully we can schedule the nerve ablation now.  Fingers crossed.

@catmando

Birthdaymen.jpg.bfa065297f266890ec1e465c5fb42568.jpg

Today's meal is a version of Beef and Broccoli, using ground beef instead of the regular chunks of beef.  We have the makings for this and I think this is dinner tonight.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/ground-beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry/

groundbeefandbroccoli1.thumb.jpg.68ddbd6b68d8d508049163241d0b1eb8.jpg

I will pick up some riced cauliflower to substitute for the rice.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/ground-beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry-recipe-8601830

groundbeefandbroccoli2.thumb.png.21189405fb6a50e0168e06d613a86679.png

I'd like the bell peppers in this recipe, but will probably use the first recipe for the sauce to keep sugars down.  https://thecozycook.com/ground-beef-and-broccoli/

groundbeefandbroccoli3.thumb.jpg.18ee0ec06a8a8ba77d88292622380769.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15