The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 26th, 2024

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is an exquisite morning here. We had some T-storms North of me yesterday afternoon, and they seemed to have cleared out the moisture in the air. Charlene, I waved at you yesterday. My friends & I got to see yesterday’s launch from the beach, so I hope you were watching!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us! Dixie & Debbie, thanks for being great “team” members in the F & B department. Graham, I appreciate how you help us understand some of the more puzzling days we need to celebrate. Sandi & Lenda, thank you for taking us all to places that some of us may never see. Tina, I really appreciate how you help us find “the soul” of some of our daily items. And to everyone who makes this such a special community - thank you!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, & pool time. Should keep me busy. 

This one took me a minute…😎

IMG_3062.jpeg.964d686ffc0ea4e5314d47d11edc9851.jpeg

IMG_3061.jpeg.eb547068b06c1ae858394eaaf65da2c7.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg.eee2372f02a9d33a75825922977d3a23.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, praying for you, Tana and your support team. 
@Vict0riann Ann praying that all goes well today. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Happy Birthday @mamaofami Carol, enjoy your special day!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Louis M. Martini 2019 Lot No. 1 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)

This Napa Cab has lots of consumer fans, and the critics like it too. Way outside of my budget, but I’d love to taste this. Whatever amount $20 will buy. Fairly easy to find. Online prices start at $186.95!

Winemaker Notes

Vintage 2019 was near perfect, with bountiful rain early in the year and fog-shrouded mornings over a long, warm summer providing abundant hang-time teasing out great color, structure and soft tannins.

• 95Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
    Martini's top Cabernet has been largely produced from purchased fruit in the past, but the 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon Lot 1 is almost half from Stagecoach. It also includes important contributions from Coombsville, Mount Veeder, Howell Mountain and Calistoga. Cherries and cassis dominate the nose, graced with faint herbal notions and a delicate framing of new French oak. Full-bodied, expansive, rich and velvety, it finishes with softly dusty tannins and hints of cocoa.
  • 92Wine Spectator
    A ripe, polished style that flows easily, with cassis and warmed plum notes leading the way, backed by cocoa, melted licorice and roasted alder on the finish. Drink now through 2030.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Jack Frost Cocktail:

Ingredients:

Light corn syrup or honey for rimming glasses
Flaked coconut for rimming glasses
8 cups ice (more or less depending on desired consistency)
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup blue curaçao
1/2 cup vodka or light rum
1/2 cup cream of coconut

Directions:

Rim the glasses: Pour a thin layer of corn syrup onto a plate and dip the rims into the corn syrup, then dip in coconut flakes.
In a blender, blend ice, pineapple juice, blue curacao, vodka and cream of coconut until desired consistency is reached. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 6.47.22 AM.png

Please use local honey, or even water to rim your glasses. Corn syrup 😱

• Like 16

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

It has been awhile since I paddled a canoe. Those pesky bar codes, sometimes hard to find. I was never a Harry Potter fan, but DH is.

The meal sounds interesting. Never been to todays port.

@mamaofami   Happy Birthday ! Have a wonderful day.

Spacex launched the new weather satellite yesterday on a Heavy. It is suppose to be able to see hurricanes and storms very early. The weather people are all excited about it. We will see.

No word yet on when the Starligner is returning. It is very concerning.

Water aerobics this AM and trivia this evening.

Booked Luggage Forward yesterday for my VOV trip. It just makes it so much easier. They are picking up 7/11.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28

Ann @cat shepard   We were all definitely watching. It never gets old. In fact a bunch of my neighbors had a "Watch Party" on the beach

Were you down here or at the beach in Daytona?

• Like 19

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Another busy morning, walk the dog, and go out and get what we couldnt get yesterday.  But after working 7 hours yesterday, I'm down for 5 today. And off at 5, thats the good news, the bad news is that DH has a zoom training this afternoon that begins at 4, which means he wont be off at 5. It would have been nice to get out this evening,  OH well, tomorrow is another long split shift day, and then I am off on Friday!  Yay!  

Its 74 and sunny.  I'm sick of sunny, send rain!  The front yard is now crispy.  

Years ago the Hudson river was highly polluted.  Someone suggested that for one day a week, that businesses not release anything into the river.  The river got clean.  One day a week. What would happen to our air quality if the worlds drivers stayed home, one day a week?  I try to not drive at least two days a week, it was easier when I knew what was going on, like DH needs his meds immediately, or we've run out of an item that we use every day and we must get more. But what if we all did it?  No planes, no cars, no businesses sending fumes up into the air? I wonder what would happen.

I just needed to put that out, I doubt if it will ever happen, due the immediate gratification thing.

When the Harry Potter books first came out, i paid no attention, and then the county next to ours started banning the books. Now that got my interest.  When I was teaching, I could have cared less what the kids were reading, as long as they were reading. So I picked up the first book and read it.  In a day, and the next day, I went and bought the second and third book, but had to wait a year for the 4th.  I loved them.  I loved that through the books, we could in our own minds create the physical characters in our heads. I think Rowland ruined that when after the series was done, she went back and wanted to tell us more about her characters. Even she could not let the story go. 

I would love the pork chops, and the Arugula can stay in the ground in the garden.  Cant stand it.

My first canoe trip was down the Delaware River.  I was vacationing with a family with 5 kids, and they wanted to do something that the whole family would enjoy, so we got up before dawn one warm late summer morning, all got into the station wagon, and drove to the place where the canoes were. We were headed downstream, as the sun was rising.  And I was in the first canoe with the oldest son.  The water was glittering with the first light, and straight in front of us, a blue heron rose up from the water, and took flight over us heading upstream.  

This one moment, was what made me interested in birds.  Canoeing?  Well I ended up making that trip several more times when I lived in NJ, and have canoed on the Suwanee River in north Florida.  That was with the park service, and it was free!  But that was  before I fell and screwed up both shoulders. So no more paddling for me. 

1abd3b994c4b934ce8ccf87a80027e93.jpg

• Like 29

Posted (edited)

Temps are not bad this morning but the humidity is high. Expecting storms from noon until about 4 pm. Hoping we can get a swim in after we have supper.

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to those celebrating. Have a great day everyone

my Wednesday ladies in our happy place

IMG_1666.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Add pic
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Ann @cat shepard   We were all definitely watching. It never gets old. In fact a bunch of my neighbors had a "Watch Party" on the beach

Were you down here or at the beach in Daytona?

Flagler Beach has a Beachfront Winery. 😎 So we had our own watch party there. 

• Like 17

43 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Happy Wednesday! I prefer a kayak to a canoe.IMG_0612.webp.7b2e15d7c94ac1c9560744ffc969500d.webp

Yesterday, Katie Pumphrey was the first person to swim from Sandy Point State Park near the Bay Bridge in Annapolis up the Patapsco River to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, a distance of about 24 miles miles in a little over 14 hours. This year, after decades long clean-up efforts, the Inner Harbor was declared swimmable and fishable. She hopes her swim draws attention to the harbor’s safe waters and inspires more water recreation. (Picture taken by K Lam)

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

I think there was also a fund raiser component to this to support those affected by the Key Bridge collapse.

Roy

• Like 23

Posted (edited)

Good morning, everyone!

It is a beautiful morning here on Golden Beach.  We are on Grand Traverse Bay, Lake Michigan.  We had a great time last night and stayed up way too late.  But, it was all worth it.  

@mamaofami

HappyBirthday3.jpg.b520b074c6ae09895a1040394828b6ba.jpg

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'd love that cruise but we already have two booked for 2025 and the money has run out.

Today's meal sounds tasty.  If you don't like arugula, make a regular salad or the veggie of your choice.  Grilled Pork Chops

lemonrosemaryporkchops.thumb.jpg.f584e932a6cb573d18073d5cc9aaf17c.jpg

This next one doesn't have the rosemary, but it does have the garlic and lemon.  Lemon Garlic Pork Chops

lemonrosemaryporkchops2.thumb.jpg.68be73da425ddac0aa703c4b9cfc18cc.jpg

Here are the pork chops without the arugula.  Rosemary Thyme Lemon Pork Chops

lemonrosemaryporkchops3.jpg.9df37dfff40a106bb7102430548449ad.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!   Back to my lake.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 11

37 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Another busy morning, walk the dog, and go out and get what we couldnt get yesterday.  But after working 7 hours yesterday, I'm down for 5 today. And off at 5, thats the good news, the bad news is that DH has a zoom training this afternoon that begins at 4, which means he wont be off at 5. It would have been nice to get out this evening,  OH well, tomorrow is another long split shift day, and then I am off on Friday!  Yay!  

Its 74 and sunny.  I'm sick of sunny, send rain!  The front yard is now crispy.  

Years ago the Hudson river was highly polluted.  Someone suggested that for one day a week, that businesses not release anything into the river.  The river got clean.  One day a week. What would happen to our air quality if the worlds drivers stayed home, one day a week?  I try to not drive at least two days a week, it was easier when I knew what was going on, like DH needs his meds immediately, or we've run out of an item that we use every day and we must get more. But what if we all did it?  No planes, no cars, no businesses sending fumes up into the air? I wonder what would happen.

I just needed to put that out, I doubt if it will ever happen, due the immediate gratification thing.

When the Harry Potter books first came out, i paid no attention, and then the county next to ours started banning the books. Now that got my interest.  When I was teaching, I could have cared less what the kids were reading, as long as they were reading. So I picked up the first book and read it.  In a day, and the next day, I went and bought the second and third book, but had to wait a year for the 4th.  I loved them.  I loved that through the books, we could in our own minds create the physical characters in our heads. I think Rowland ruined that when after the series was done, she went back and wanted to tell us more about her characters. Even she could not let the story go. 

I would love the pork chops, and the Arugula can stay in the ground in the garden.  Cant stand it.

My first canoe trip was down the Delaware River.  I was vacationing with a family with 5 kids, and they wanted to do something that the whole family would enjoy, so we got up before dawn one warm late summer morning, all got into the station wagon, and drove to the place where the canoes were. We were headed downstream, as the sun was rising.  And I was in the first canoe with the oldest son.  The water was glittering with the first light, and straight in front of us, a blue heron rose up from the water, and took flight over us heading upstream.  

This one moment, was what made me interested in birds.  Canoeing?  Well I ended up making that trip several more times when I lived in NJ, and have canoed on the Suwanee River in north Florida.  That was with the park service, and it was free!  But that was  before I fell and screwed up both shoulders. So no more paddling for me. 

1abd3b994c4b934ce8ccf87a80027e93.jpg

Annie, how were the rapids at the infamous Railroad Bridge? We were with a group from work and all ten canoes were swamped/tipped! I love the Delaware but my canoe days are in the rear view.

• Like 18

I have a sunset rather than a sunrise today.  The last week of June was often Scout Camp for me and this is from June 26, 2013 from a camp in the Pocono Mountains:

dusk0626minsi.JPG.f07a3dc9836e677eb5a55c

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from central Texas.  It is a typical summer morning with a mix of clouds and sun.  It is 81F at 8:15 am and feels like 90F, so we are under a heat advisory until 7 pm.  Given the long range forecast shows triple digits, I think the heat advisory could legitimately extend to October.  We have a 9mph wind from the south and 90% humidity with a heat index of 78F.  Our predicted high is 91F, so after I run to the store to get ice cream on sale before they run out, I plan to stay inside until close to sunset when it will be cool enough for our golf cart ride.

Bar codes are very handy when shopping, especially grocery shopping.  During my teens, I discovered that canoes and I were not made for each other.  I enjoyed the Harry Potter books, and DH and I enjoyed the movies.

An interesting quote about authors from J. D. Salinger.  Thirty years ago, I knew an author who's daughter was my aerobics instructor.  Her mother wrote romance novels for Harlequin, and the daughter told our class that mother's shouldn't know about a lot of what was in her books, much less write about them.

Grilled pork chops are good, but it's probably too hot to grill some today.  We normally just season them with salt and pepper.  We'll pass on the drink, and I would love to try the wine if the price was a lot lower.

We have not been to Oman, so I am not able to help with pictures today.

Two interesting days in history, one for England and one for the world.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, enjoy your day and tour in Kirkwall.  I hope you have better weather than we did in 2017 with a torrential rain.  I hope your sister didn't tear her bicep, but if so, I hope the fix isn't too bad.

@rafinmd  Roy, thanks for the pictures of the new locks in the Panama Canal.  

@aliaschief  Safe travels for Sue today and for her and your DD tomorrow.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you made it safely to Jacksonville.  I hope the doctor can help you with the shoulder in a way that you can avoid surgery.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news Tana is showing interest in food.  Sending positive thoughts for a quiet day today, and many more quiet days ahead.

@cunnorl  Charlene, the return of the Starligner is very concerning.  We're hoping for the best and a safe return soon.

@superoma  Great picture of your Wednesday group, Eva.  Is the dog a regular member of the group or an interloper?

@dfish  Debbie, I loved the picture of the lake you posted yesterday.

433134903_122133369104147925_7329485712476663553_n.jpg.44ddf2cf7aca127d0e095d51f28028f9.jpg

433198882_122135837006147925_8512737072087779574_n.jpg.4b6b8c6ed81aea3c588bd6572a148bef.jpg

440887494_122173856876024276_7024412197796566152_n.jpg.7f6230241f778e26b66cb2189d81e799.jpg

440944034_986841312799291_1692285235987296141_n.jpg.bea88e21c5865257282d544f17335ace.jpg

448532109_122185816880031557_4513736400581498051_n.jpg.c577f77fa1c0e0259f651244cec151f6.jpg

448491153_322609217559076_7416863232315106209_n.jpg.5c9849b2b76e4c1337166abca4d465c9.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

I have enough trouble with the code for the wifi. Please don't make me learn a code for the bar.

No, no, a thousand times no on the meal (pork) and the cocktail. For a Cabernet Sauvignon, Dr. Frank's 2021, $26.99. "Seductive complexity in black fruit scents, a hint of foresty dried herbs, and a touch of leather, green peppercorns and cedar spice. Polished tannins are grippy and round the fruitness, giving breath of texture, and providing a strong foundation for the fresh, mouthwatering black fruit." Fruitness is their word, not mine.

No idea what dinner will be, except that it will include greens since I have both chard and kale. The latter, which is the only green that I dislike, is the result of a mixup with Misfits Market that resulted in receiving the default order. To fill up a box, they often include snack foods but for once those are all things that I might have bought intentionally.

lastpage.jpg.6eb7474992b40d9954f4a324278966f2.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 6

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Bar codes have certainly made things easier for store clerks.  I used to love canoeing; these days I'm sure I could get into one, but think I'd have to swamp it and walk to shore.  I haven't read any of the HP books, nor seen the movies, but millions have.

The skies finally cleared up over night - what a wet, rainy day we had yesterday!  The light mist began coming down around 9:00, and then it developed into what we call a "general rain", meaning it was just a steady, gentle rain.  But, then came the downpours . . . it looked like someone in the clouds was just pouring buckets full of water - they lasted about 10 to 15 minutes and left pools of water everywhere.  At one point DH and I figured the rest of the begonias in the back yard were going to be totally drowned out, so we donned our good Columbia rain jackets and went out there to cover them up with oversized trash bags.  It didn't take us more than 5 minutes, but by the time we got back into the house, we were soaked through to our skin, and the water was running down the insides of our jackets.  The rain continued throughout the day and finally let up around 5PM.  This morning I'm checking to see if I have webbed feet, as I'm starting to feel like a duck!

@Vict0riannsending prayers for you and your medical team today as you have your surgery.

@mamaofamiHappy Birthday and many happy, healthy returns of the day!

@Crazy For Catsit was nice to hear you took the day off to spend with your DH on his birthday.  DH and I did that every year on our wedding anniversary, choosing to spend the day with each other, rather than trying to squeeze in a couple of hours together at the end of the day. 

@LambKnucklesI enjoy reading cozy mysteries, but am not sure I've read any written by your friend.

Not a lot on the agenda today; DH has coffee with his bandmates, and I might go shopping while he's there.  I'm not sure about the drink, it might be too sweet, but would be willing to try it if someone made it for me.  Pretty sure I'd like the wine, but the price!!!  I'm going to take the recipe for the 2nd menu suggestion (lemon garlic pork chops) and will make them another time; we don't mind arugula, so the salad would be good for us as well.  I have to make room in the freezer for the smokies coming in for our Summerfest, so I took out a container of turkey soup that will be heated up to have with sandwiches on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in grief, in turmoil, in pain, and in the throes of heat waves and domes.  Special prayers for the innocents in the midst of wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from the Rotterdam.  The weather was partly cloudy and warm and as we sail out of the fiord, in the sun, the temperature reads 82F.  We are supposed to have some rain and fog tonight as we sail to Kristiansand and tomorrow we have sun again and warm temperatures with some rain in the late afternoon.  We have been told that we are seeing a Norway that most don’t get to see. 

Sending happy celebrations to all celebrating.  Sorry to hear about the injuries to biceps. I think bubble wrap should be required for all.

Wishing everyone a good day.

• Like 26

@StLouisCruisers, I hope you have a good day in Kirkwall and some touring suggestions. It’s a port on a planned cruise in 2025; it also featured prominently in a book I recently read, so I’m very much looking forward to it. 

We had a noisy thunderstorm and downpour this morning - very happy to have the rain. Unfortunately, it was not a heatwave breaker, and we expect 99 today. Sauna, anyone?

@Vict0riann, I think your surgery is tomorrow. You’re on my mind.

As are all the rest of you. Stay safe and plan cruises!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It was sunny when the dogs and I went out early but now the clouds are rolling in. No rain yet though. It is one of those Maybe days. High's today in the low 80's... not too bad.

@StLouisCruisersI envy you the Orkney stop. All those sights are worth seeing.

@Cruzin TerriHope the doctor's visit is helpful and something can be done easily for the shoulder.

@smitty34877Hope Tana's interest in food continues.

As for me, another day of sorting and I have my eye on bureau drawer that has not been sorted for awhile. What else I do depends on the weather.

Susan

• Like 24

Good morning and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Not a fan of Harry Potter (though I watched one of the movies on a long flight and went "Meh") but will raise a glass for the other 2.   Weird quote. Meal looks interesting but no on the drink (coconut) and the wine is $$$$$! Been to Muscat but not Salalah.  Nice days in history.

ScreenShot2024-06-26at08_07_01.png.5e564d14678237e071f872da22c77e61.png

The last couple of days have been challenging.  Unfortunately, I had to visit the surgeon on Monday (and I realized that was my 6-week post op day - I thought it had been much earlier).  I have had a couple of "oh, that feels like something is tearing" moments - maybe 2 or 3 that last a second - but nothing I worried about.  My back around my incision was itchy and sorer that I thought it should be, but again, I didn't worry.  I would go about my business (ok, maybe a little more than I should but you just can't keep this chick down).  I would stand in the shower and let the water hit it and it felt so good; I had probably been doing that for over a week.  Well, Saturday I felt around my back and my eyes almost popped out of my head because I thought I felt a hole.  Oops!!  Tried to take a pic of it (nope, that didn't work) so I would start a video and try to capture it.  The little bit I saw showed me I needed to go have it looked at.  So, I would put a band aid on it for the next couple of days.  When I would take the band aid off, there was a little bit of sero-sang fluid but nothing I was concerned about.  I called right at 0800 Monday morning, and they said come right down.  I was there by 0840.  First MA said, “Can I look” and then she said “OOOOOH!”.  She took some pics for me.  Second MA, same thing.  Doc comes in and says “Oh, my!!”  My incision had completely opened - ~2 inches.  I got the important questions – any headaches, pain down legs, fever, difficulty walking, etc – and the answers were all no.  So, the doc scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed the incision (not fun) and then restitched it up (again, not fun at all).  I have never been awake for stitches, so this was a first for me.  I think I will pass next time.  No more standing in the shower letting the water hit my back (dang) and I was so miserable Monday that I just laid flat on my back the rest of the day and most of Tuesday (watching movies – I watched the AARP live broadcast of The Wiz last night).  Today is a better day; I go back to the doc next Monday for a recheck and I am on 14 days of Augmentin.  He is not really sure what happened and if I caused it but………… I think maybe a little.  

I have finally caught up with reading the last 2.5 days of the daily.

@Sharon in AZ and @Crazy For Cats DH: Happy belated Birthday!

@Cruzin Terri Good luck with the doc today.  I had a shredded bicep tendon they repaired when I had my rotator cuff fixed and I was very pleased with the result.  Would do it again in a heartbeat.

@kazu I hope your anniversary day was filled with good memories (and the pics were beautiful!).

@mamaofami Happy Birthday!!

I know I missed someone so I apologize for the omission.

Thoughts for anyone needing extra support and cheers for those celebrating.  Everyone have a great day.

Edited by Nickelpenny
spelling
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 11

Good morning all!

Today will be cooler than yesterday, only mid 60's with a mix of sun and showers.  Maybe I can get outside in the garden sometime today.

Bar codes have been a big help, I've been kayaking several times but never gone canoeing.  I'm probably one of the few who have never read Harry Potter or seen the movies.  No to the drink (coconut) and red wine, but the meal sounds great.  I don't mind arugula, but DH hates it so I would substitute something else.  All the recipes look good, and I have all the herbs in my garden. Never have been to the port.

The kitties have definitely settled in, and are taking actual rest times now 😉  DD brought over all their toys and that has been a big help too.  I just hope I can find everything when they go home in a month.  It's been a lot of fun having them here.  Hoping DD and family made it to their first stop last night, they were going to drive clear to Lassen. It would be a long, long day.  I worried about them every time I woke up during the night, but no news is good news and hopefully they're still sleeping now.

Happy Birthday Carol @mamaofami!

Oh my @Nickelpenny!  I can only imagine what you felt when you realized you had a 2-inch opening in your incision.  Thank goodness you went in quickly.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1