The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 27th, 2024

richwmn

Today is Decide To Be Married Day, "Happy Birthday To You" Day, and Industrial Workers of The World Day

Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead. - Morihei Ueshiba

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Spinach Pasta
Drink of the Day - Summer breeze
Wine of the Day - Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva Sergio Zenato 2017 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Arhus, Denmark

Today in History:
1542 Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo sets sail from the Mexican port of Navidad to explore the west coast of North America on behalf of the Spanish Empire

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 06-29

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey, Galataport 07:00 - ovnt

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 12:00 - 20:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 06-28

Westerdam

Anchorage AK, Alaska, Denali NP ovnt - 18:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06-28

Zuiderdam

Kirkwall, UK 08:00 - 18:00

0627World.thumb.png.7fec931f65c790afdecd2d840629f0a5.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 28

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s surgery today

Anniversary of luvteaching’s DD DH passing

Kazu having foot pain

Cruzin Terri fatigued post Covid, ?bicep muscle tear, post steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Passing of marshhawk’s longtime friend 6/25

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Lady Hudson’s friend having suffered a stroke, with some paralysis

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Marshhawk’s big sales yesterday

Dfish at DS Barb’s lake house

Cruzin Terri’s now negative Covid test

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Rotterdam to June 29) 7d Norse Passage + (Zuiderdam June 29 to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 17
  • Thanks 28

Good morning everyone.  Just popping by to say a quick hello.  Our movers will arriving this morning to start packing things up.  Unfortunately DH development a head cold yesterday and is down for the count.  It will be an interesting day indeed.  Hope all of you have a nice Thursday!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!   Today Zuiderdam is anchored in South Queensferry, Scotland by the rail bridge.  The sun was out this morning and it was beautiful out.  Rain is expected this afternoon though. 

So we decided to head out on one of those huge local tender boats and walked around South Queensferry itself, something we've never done before.  Back just in time to post on the Daily, then will have lunch.  Mostly cloudy skies now and 63F.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  Three interesting days to recognize.  The quote seems a bit negative to my thinking, no thanks to the dish of the day, the cocktail sounds cool and refreshing, but the wine is probably not my choice.  Not sure how much Cabrillo actually discovered while exploring the west coast of North America for Spain.  Thanks to the F&B ladies, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers for DB and Alex’s twins.  I got a report yesterday from my niece who will be grandma to those boys and she said all is well and they both are weighing in at 4+ pounds.  Due date is less than a month off now.  Prayers too for those in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and for the safety of our troops in the region. Many prayers for our Daily group including Tana, Ann @Vict0riann , Pennie
@Nickelpenny, Jacqui @kazu, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Terri @Cruzin Terri.  My twin reports she will see the doctor July 9 for her arm, does PT on Mondays and Fridays and the bicep is still sore.  Hopefully it’s not a bad tear.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists today.  I’m glad nothing happened after those tornado warnings yesterday. 

Happy belated birthday wishes Carol @mamaofami !!  We got back late to the ship yesterday, last tender and arrived 5 minutes before scheduled sail away.  Dumped our stuff off in our room and went straight to dinner.  Had a drink after dinner at Ocean Bar, and not much time to check in with everyone here last night.  Anyway,  I hope you had an enjoyable celebration!  Congrats Annie @marshhawk on the huge sale yesterday!  You did great!

The port today is Arhus, Denmark.  This lovely city was the port before here on May 2, 2021, May 13, 2022 and Feb. 25, 2023.  I’ll post the links and then gather up my photos again.  They’ve disappeared.

Have a wonderful Thursday!  Try to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 right now heading up to 92 with a chance of PM showers.

I like 2 of the days but not sure about the last one, sounds like a workers of the world unite thing.

The quote is good.

The meal is something I would probably like.

Never been to Norway or anywhere else in Northern Europe.

I never watch the debates and won’t watch tonight’s, they are not real debates and besides I have made up my mind and nothing that is said will change my vote.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Aarhus, Denmark

We visited Arhus (sometimes spelled Aarhus), Denmark in September 2011 on the Emerald Princess.  The cruise began with a Baltic cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed, followed by the British Isles, Iceland, Qaqortoq Greenland, Halifax and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  

It was a bright, chilly morning on Sept. 9, 2011 when our ship stopped in Arhus.  We enjoyed our walk through the town.  We saw this lovely canal running through the town. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

People liked to gather on the sunny side to dine.  I can't blame them.  It looks lovely!

We made our way to a Viking Museum which was located underneath a bank.  Yes, really.

As you walk down the stairs you see the levels with the years associated with that level.

This thatched hut in the museum is a copy of a hut which was in that spot in Viking days, all discovered during excavation for the bank.

Someone's bones found here in their final resting place.

Then we saw this church called the Arhus Cathedral.

It had some very unique features inside.  Like this Viking ship.

And quite a fancy baptismal font I would say.

Arhus is a great port to see

The reason for the confusion on the spelling is the name has been changed officially there a couple times.  According to Wiktionary:  Following the spelling reform of 1948, the name was changed from Aarhus to Århus, which remained the spelling preferred by local authorities until 2010, when the city council decided to change the name back to Aarhus, effective from the 1st of January 2011. According to the official rules of Danish orthography, it is still valid to write Århus, although Aarhus is far more prevalent in road signs, media, etc.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 70°F here.

3 interesting days and true quote.

I will pass on the food and drink.

We have been to Copenhagen Denmark many times but not today's port. 

We popped out for lunch.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy.

IMG_20240627_115443.jpg

IMG_20240627_114717.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Good collection of days and that quote is very true IMO.  thinking and praying for Ann @Vict0riannas she undergoes her surgery today.  🙏 

I’m probably going to keep a low profile  - in a funk.  The chiro started looking at the most up to date report which was the cat scan.  From what he told me, it’s pretty bad and I have a pretty good idea what the vascular surgeon is going to say on Tuesday 😔.Chiro wants an MRI or a cat scan of the stenosis in my back before he touches it and suspects it is primarily vascular and wants that tended to first.  All I can do is wait until Tuesday and try not to worry so much.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 23

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

We had some much needed rain yesterday that came with stormy weather. Hopefully it helped the grass, bushes, and trees. The plumber came yesterday to replace the PRV for the water in the house. He made light work of it thanks to the PEX piping as all he had to do was shut the water off, cut the plastic PEX, and crimp the new pipe in place. With the trip charge, price of the part, and labor it was almost $500.00! Now that our water is once again regulated, I will put out the hose to flood the tree roots which I'm sure need it.

I have been working on ideas to add a third cruise to our trip next Spring. I guess I am travel frugal with getting to and from cruises. We disembark from our MSC cruise to the Canary Islands on May 3rd in Southampton. I would like to add a third cruise up to Norway as long as we are there. MSC has four contenders, one Celebrity, one Fred Olsen, and even Cunard's Queen Anne! It might not come to pass but I enjoy putting together possibilities.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good cool and sunny and humid morning. 
Wehad some rain overnight but missed the storms. The area’s north of me received lots of rain and high winds. There were trees down and power outages.
Prayers today for @Vict0riannand the surgical team.🙏

@StLouisCruisersSandi, enjoy your day in Edinburgh.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! We had some hefty T-storms yesterday afternoon & evening. And boy those storm clouds looked angry. My County & the County just North of me have lifted their burn bans, so the recent rains have helped a lot. We still could use a bit more. 

Vanessa, thank you for so diligently keeping track of all of us!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, my local food bank asked me to switch my day - so I need to tweak Bindi’s schedule a bit & maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3069.jpeg.2bbe96734114a67fc1f7b6d869063d7c.jpeg

IMG_3068.jpeg.b28754b92b7202c8bee3bbf1c51fa458.jpeg

IMG_3066.jpeg.72b269ae9b7dcad320ddbfc52ca1370f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support! @Nickelpenny Holy cow!😱 Thank goodness you went to have your incision checked. Now be careful!
Terry, praying Tana enjoyed the ziti. Bless you. 

@Vict0riann Ann, keeping you in my prayers today.

@kazu Jacqui, praying that next week’s news is good. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @dfish Debbie, that sunset on the lake picture deserves to be put on a canvas. Thank you for sharing. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva Sergio Zenato 2017 (750ML)

This Amarone sounds delightful. I would love a taste, but it is outside my budget. Though, if I divide the cheapest online price by the number of words in its name, it sounds almost reasonable. Widely available & online prices start at $116.00. 

Winemaker Notes

Ruby red in color, this Amarone Riserva offers dense and smokey aromas of dark cherries, raisins, chocolate, and anise, framed by fruity tannins and a spicy finish. With the level of complexity and balance that this wine shows, it will evolve beautifully for 10+ years.

• 98James Suckling

This is one of those wines where your nose is in the glass for ages, enjoying the complex array of aromas that range from raspberries to dates, perfumed bark to polished wood, pressed flowers to fresh mushrooms. Full-bodied, dense and focused with fine, well-integrated tannins, plenty of fruit flavor and an endless finish.

• 97Vinous

The 2017 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva Sergio Zenato is totally classic to the Zenato style, with macerated cherries, raisins, sweet herbs, coca, black pepper and shavings of cedar. This deeply textural with a dense wave of mineral-encased dark red fruits and balsamic spice carried across a core of stimulating acidity. Mocha and clove mix with black currant and olive as the 2017 finishes dramatically long and potent. There’s simply so much going on here, and more is guaranteed to come with maturation. Also of note is that the 2017 clocks in at only 3.3 grams of residual sugar. This is as serious as they come.

• 95Decanter

Attractive nose displaying notes of prunes, dried flowers, green tea and hints of peppery nuances. Grainy tannins on the palate, textured and complex. Ripe and long.

• 92Wine Spectator

A harmonious version, with the deft integration of supple tannins and lively acidity lending a sense of elegance and accessibility. Features generous, expressive flavors of mulled cherry and black plum reduction, dried flowers and eucalyptus, milled pepper and iron that linger on the chewy finish. 

• 91Wine Enthusiast
    Dense and concentrated flavors of black plum, blackberry and candied cherries open this wine. With a bit more time, subtle aromas of clove, anise and green peppercorn awaken. The palate is solid and firm. A deep core of fruit is supported by firm tannins and a touch of acidity. Drink now–2035.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 18
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone and thanks for the Daily and map Rich!  It would be nice to have one's birthday today since it is Happy Birthday to you day.  Industrial Workers provide so much for us and in 3/4 of the world their working conditions are poor.   A good quote today.   I will pass on the pasta,   Today's cocktail is a good one and the wine is special, I love a good Amarone.  Thanks for researching these for us each day. Thanks for the photos of Aarhus @StLouisCruisers.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for you today @Vict0riann.  Congratulations to Annie @marshhawk for the big sale yesterday.  Jacqui I hope that your vascular surgeon can give you some answers and it was wise that your chiro opted to be conservative until more diagnostics are done.  Prayers for Tana, Terri and Chuck and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones.  Thinking of you today @luvteaching

A lovely morning here today and a brisk 44 degrees when I got up.   More garden work here today.   It seems our good luck with the bugs has ended, some pesky mosquitoes, black flies are back and buzzy deer flies.   Have a lovely day!  

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Dailys!!  Quite the day to celebrate different things!!!  I'll celebrate my Birthday on May 7th -- and Decide to be Married Day on the June 21st...   and I never worked Industrial...  but I do thank and honor those who do and did!!

I have been to Denmark -- but don't know this town!  It's north of Odense, where most of my family is...  and maybe someday I will see it in person!

I think the meal, drink, wine and destination will be wonderful...  However...  I came across this recipe and would like to offer it as an alternative to all those who have warmer and HOT weather!!!

May be an image of ice cream and text that says 'Dirty Pirate Popsicles INGREDIENTS; 1/4 cup Captain Morgan Spiced Rum 2 cups Coca-Cola Coca 1/4 cup Kahlua Popsicle molds'

Prayers for all on our Care list and a special prayer for @Vict0riann for her surgery and recovery and healing!!  Prayers for the doctor and the care team!!!  And for her family as they help with her recovery!!!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning.  Just a little on the cool side.  Lovely!   We had a storm roll through yesterday afternoon and that cooled things off.  The gardens and crops should be happy.

I'm happy to be married, it's not my birthday but happy birthday to you, and a salute to industrial workers.

Interesting quote, I like it.

The meal, drink and wine sound great.  Who's buying?

Prayers for so many.  An extra on for @Vict0riann today.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

I've never been to today's port, maybe someday.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. We had a whopper of a storm last night. There are trees down in the neighbor but the power held throughout.It felt as if the lightning bolts were landing all around the house. Of course, like Vanessa, we got the tornado alarm from the phone but our area was spared. We could not go to the basement so we huddled in one room trying to keep the dogs and our patient calm. Apparently today will be a beautiful day with low humidity. I will take it.

I have been to Aarhus and found it to be a beautiful and very walkable place. I guess I will celebrate the days. The creamy spinach sounds good to me and I like the quote.

@cat shepard, Ann, yes, the food was enjoyed last night with a small portion! Today we are making eggplant parm. Tana and I decided that in our last lives we might have been Italian as that is our go to food choice.

@Vict0riann, prayers for you and your surgical team today.

@kazu, Jacqui, sending hugs and prayers. I am sorry that the chiropractor  could not help. I hope the vascular surgeon can improve the situation.

@Mr. Boston, sorry DH is unwell but Ihope the move goes well today and tomorrow.

@marshhawk, Annie, oh my on your boss. I think you have incredible patience and you are very good at your job. I have no respect for someone hanging up like that either.

Enjoy the day everyone.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Aarhus, Denmark

We visited Arhus (sometimes spelled Aarhus), Denmark in September 2011 on the Emerald Princess.  The cruise began with a Baltic cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed, followed by the British Isles, Iceland, Qaqortoq Greenland, Halifax and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  

It was a bright, chilly morning on Sept. 9, 2011 when our ship stopped in Arhus.  We enjoyed our walk through the town.  We saw this lovely canal running through the town. 

People liked to gather on the sunny side to dine.  I can't blame them.  It looks lovely!

We made our way to a Viking Museum which was located underneath a bank.  Yes, really.

As you walk down the stairs you see the levels with the years associated with that level.

This thatched hut in the museum is a copy of a hut which was in that spot in Viking days, all discovered during excavation for the bank.

Someone's bones found here in their final resting place.

Then we saw this church called the Arhus Cathedral.

It had some very unique features inside.  Like this Viking ship.

And quite a fancy baptismal font I would say.

Arhus is a great port to see

The reason for the confusion on the spelling is the name has been changed officially there a couple times.  According to Wiktionary:  Following the spelling reform of 1948, the name was changed from Aarhus to Århus, which remained the spelling preferred by local authorities until 2010, when the city council decided to change the name back to Aarhus, effective from the 1st of January 2011. According to the official rules of Danish orthography, it is still valid to write Århus, although Aarhus is far more prevalent in road signs, media, etc.

Great selection of photos Sandi.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Well, I got a little rain last night. It seems like I am in a little pocket where it doesn't rain a lot. All of the communities around us had wild and rainy weather. Well, at least I will not have to water the plants today. It will be hot and humid today in the low 80s with sun. 

I will be busy today with my classes and clients. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Have A Sweet Thursday Cat GIF | GIFDB.com

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and quite the morning it was. Early this morning we started getting strong thunderstorms with torrential rain. Rain gauge looks like 4”. Power blips. Definitely can shut down the sprinkler system for a couple of days. Good chance more rain  is on the way.

Yesterday I mentioned doctor’s appointment  but I caught the mistake that the appointment is actually today.

@VictorianThought’s and prayer for a successful surgery.

@kazu My goodness I do pray you get some good and healing news one of these day. Enough is enough!

Tonight is my church small group study get together so I have some homework this morning in order to prepare.

So I’m on my own for a few days. Need to plan a couple of meals.

Have a great Thursday and thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3