The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 4th, 2024

richwmn

Independance Day (USA)

Today is National Barbeque Day, National Country Music Day, and International Hot Dog Eating Day

I'm thankful for the three ounce Ziploc bag, so that I have somewhere to put my savings. - Paula Poundstone

Meal Suggestion for today - Salsa-Black Bean Burgers
Drink of the Day - Cameron's Kick
Wine of the Day - Sandrone 2021 Barbera (Barbera d'Alba)
Destination of the Day - Gibraltar

Today in History:
1776 US Congress proclaims the Declaration of Independence and independence from Great Britain

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 05:30 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 07:00 - 14:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Hvar Island Croatia, Stari Grad-Hvar Town 08:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam

Skjolden, Sognefjord, Norway 08:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Prince Rupert BC, Kaien Island Canada eta 07-05

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 7/5

Zuiderdam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 08:00 - 17:00

0704Alaska.thumb.png.ba891fe9d72a618e64abaa6df62ae797.png

0704Atlantic.thumb.png.b775da2dd72f7f1e205731a430127d03.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 30

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed

Lady Hudson’s DH’s Cardiology appointment yesterday

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Ottahand7’s DB with operated knee red and swollen

Catmando on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 4th of July!

Luvteaching’s DM did well with heart procedure, hopefully going home today

JazzyV’s BFF can start weight bearing in walking boot

Bennybear’s indoor water restrictions lifted

RMLincoln’s DH’s satisfactory eye doctor visit

Mr. Boston now in Maine home

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for luvteaching (Westerdam July 7 to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 23
  • Thanks 25

Happy 4th to the USA.  
I have to tell you I really like Stockperks.  It is the easiest process I’ve used to get my stock OBC,  Filled out the form on Monday, taking the photo of our stock, and sending in. Got an acknowledgment that night and an email last night that the amount was added to our booking.

Dental process yesterday was good, starting the implant process started on New Years Eve.  LOL Great way to end the year.

Cameron’s Kick cocktail: Not for me!

Ingredients:

1 oz. Blended Scotch whisky
1 oz. The busker Blended Irish Whiskey
1/3 oz. Giffard Orgeat Syrup
1/2 oz. Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
12 oz. Pasteurized egg white or Aquafina (chickpea water) or 3 dashes Fee Brothers Fee Foam cocktail foamer.
3 drops Saline solution 4:1 (20g sea salt to 80 g water)

Directions:

Shake all ingredients with ice and fine strain into a chilled glass.
Garnish with a Lemon zest twist.

Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 6.20.15 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 21

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Happy Independence day to my American friends.

I like most music including Country music.

Hot dogs are nice.

We have been to Gibraltar on a couple of occasions.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy and y'all have a wonderful day.

img-Xt-Dp6Sm-large.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Good morning friends!  Happy Independence Day to all the Americans!  I am dressed in my red and blue even though I’m far from U.S. shores.  Today Zuiderdam is in Isafjordur, Iceland and it’s darn cold out there.  It’s a breezy day and I would be surprised if the temp was over 40F.  The TV weather for today says rain or snow here but let’s hope it stays rain and doesn’t freeze.  Not a pretty day for sightseeing.  MSC Poesia is in port at the dock (of course), and we are anchored.  There is room at the new extended dock but apparently HAL doesn’t believe in paying docking fees if they don’t have to.  Nieuw Statendam and Norwegian Star were supposed to be here today too but both changed itineraries due to the ice in Greenland problem.  I hope all the cruise lines are learning a lesson this season and make some changes to next years’ itineraries. 

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the maps. I'll be eating in Pinnacle Grill again tonight but it won't be barbecue!  We both like country music so listen to it a lot.  The quote is a witty one by Paula Poundstone.  As usual the menu suggestion, cocktail and wine don’t interest me. Sorry!  Today’s day in history is the best one I’ve read in a long time.  (I’m very patriotic!).  Anyway, thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports each day.

Prayers today for our Dailyites and family/friends.  Special thoughts each day to Tana and to Terry @smitty34877 and family who are so kind in caring for her.  Praying for Joy’s @Seasick Sailor sister Bonnie and friend Belinda, Ann @Vict0riann, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Jacqui @kazu, Roy @rafinmd, Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Pennie @Nickelpenny, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Richard and Maureen @RMLincoln, Dixie @summer slope, Nancy’s DB @ottahand7, and I’m sorry if I’ve forgotten a name.  You are all in my thoughts.  Prayers too for my DB, my twin who is always extra sad on July 4th since our DDad passed away on this date in 2011.  She was my parents’ caregiver.  Prayers also to Alex and Jordan’s  twins.  I always have prayers for those in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and our troops on the bases and ships in the region. 🙏 Rejoicing with all who have special events in their lives right now and for those cruising!  🚢🎉 Tremendous thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for her work on the lists, while caring for her BFF.  You are a trooper!

The port for today is good old Gibraltar.  This was the port before on March 31, 2022 and May 25, 2023.  In the past I didn’t post photos but I decided today I would post a few.  We’ve been there so many times and one of the best times was with our kids and grandkids in 2019.  I’ll never forget the wonderful cruise we had together.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

Enjoy your July 4th, and I hope there are no noise problems or fireworks incidents to report tomorrow!  Be safe and keep well!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 76 this morning heading up to 95 with afternoon showers.

Hope everyone has a great Independence Day. 
Joey Chestnut will not win the Hot Dog eating contest at Coney Island today because of some kind of ban, that’s almost sacrilegious.

We are heading off to Englewood beach. 

Good days today and very fitting for the 4th of July.

Very funny quote.
I’m not sure about the meal.

Again, have a great 4th and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Gibraltar

We’ve been to Gibraltar 8 times. 😳 Once in a while we just stay on the ship and rest up.  But I have a few photos I picked to show you.  One cruise was during a December trip on Pacific Princess, and the second was when our family was with us on Emerald Princess helping us celebrate our 50th anniversary year.  It’s always more fun when showing the sights to the kids and grandkids.  I think they’ll remember that cruise forever. 

Two things we always do are take a photo of me with a red British phone booth and DH with a cannon – anywhere in the world!

This is my phone booth photo from Dec. 10, 2018 while in Gibraltar.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

And DH with the cannon in Gibraltar.  Every time we pass this one he gets his photo taken. Even with the grandkids the following summer.

The streets were busy with shoppers and I enjoyed the Christmas decorations I’d never seen there before.

In 2019 with the family we all took a tour around Gibraltar to places even we hadn’t seen before. 

Catalan Bay and the Europa Point lighthouse

Then up to the St. Michael’s Cave.  All lit up and nice and cool inside.

Barbary ape and baby

View of the airport runway from the cannon opening in the Siege Tunnels

Good times for all!
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Independence Day to our friends in the USA!

We've got a hot one in the forecast.  Only short walks for Bertie today.

I love BBQs, not a fan of hot dogs and I like some country music.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, hope the wine is tasty.

Thanks for the pictures from Gibraltar, it was on  the itinerary of a cruise that was booked but cancelled because of covid.  Maybe someday we'll get there.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and Happy Independence Day to all.  For about 10 years I did the Independence Day trip on Cunard’s QM2 with my sister.  We always got a kick out of the celebrations on the ship and all the crew members say Happy Birthday to us.  Just seemed strange on a company ship with such a British heritage.  But it was lots of fun.  

Hot and humid weather returns today.  We will barbecue with my sister and family and have traditional food for the Fourth.  No fireworks but we will watch baseball.

Cardiologist appointment went ok.  Blood drawn for DH and more tests to follow.  Got a voicemail from the office later in the day for follow up information.  I will have to call them back tomorrow.

So sorry to hear that Jacqui will need to have surgery.  Always scary but necessary to relieve pain.  Many prayers for all who are experiencing pain.

Our friend who had the stroke is now in a rehab facility.  Talked to his wife and she is not sure about the care given and may be looking for a change.  To be continued for sure.  

Have a blessed day.  Katherine 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Happy 4th of July!  

Happy Fourth Of July Ecards | American Greetings

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich.   We are having pot roast today so no BBQ.   Hot dog eating contests are fun to watch, I just can't understand how they can eat so many, no country music for us.  That quote is hilarious those bags are so tiny I can't find any use for them other than a few pills.   I have been to Gibraltar.  A very important day for the United States!

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.    @StLouisCruisers thoughts for you and your family on the memory of your DFs passing.   Jacqui, prayers that you can get your surgery ASAP.   Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Bonnie, Terri and my DB Nick.   He is still in a holding pattern until he runs through his IV antibiotics or has a significant change.  Prayers for others in our group who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

A quiet 4th here, our big day is Saturday.  That will be a busy day as our neighbor's party and firework are in the evening and at 11 is the memory of life party for our lake friend Frank who passed away due to Covid last August at the age of 98.   Today is pot roast, it is cool enough to cook it slowly in the oven.    John took my DN and family out on the pontoon yesterday and all that they caught were five little pike.  I am glad I stayed at home.  The lake is still in the 60s which doesn't bode well for fishing for cold blooded creatures.   Have a lovely 4th full of family and fun!  Nancy 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good sunny and humid morning. It’s going to be a firecracker 4th.

I’m planning on grilling tonight but the weather has chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. 
I was to Gibraltar on a crossing. I think my pictures were on an old phone. 
Have a safe and happy day today.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Happy 4th July America 🇺🇸 🎉🎆

Another hot day🫠

20240704_061016.thumb.jpg.d74e4d016bc886d77d85dc2ab15693a6.jpg

DH is working today, so I'll spend my day moving more stuff from the old phone (using it now so I can upload) to the new one. Will also make a pasta salad this morning so it will be ready to eat this evening; we like it really cold so it needs quite some in the fridge. Probably nap, too. Big plans 🙄

Oh, I will also occasionally tell the pups to put away their anxiety - all the noise tonight is for fun. I'm sure they will ignore me.🥴

Our cruise list is looking pretty slim...

20240704_060826.thumb.jpg.82762df07106c4bcec419a5dba7b37e7.jpg

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich!

IMG_3090.jpeg.7466b333bf63dcc5ab6aefb6e3735898.jpeg

Happy 4th of July to all who celebrate!

Looks like another beautiful day. Once again the strong onshore breezes made Bindi walks comfortable yesterday & kept the evening storms away. 

Vanessa, glad BFF’s situation is improving. Once he gets up his courage there will be no stopping him. Look who his role model is! Thank you for keeping up with all of us. 

Bindi walks, prep for a very low key, family 4th. My Sister is going to try to get in my pool for the first time in a very long time. She is doing so much better since March. Then a simple meal topped off with key lime pie. 

IMG_3099.jpeg.31d78a4ef9c9cf2dfe2e82c77cb4b54d.jpeg

IMG_3102.jpeg.393227090943b62e733d3cdfbaf0c933.jpeg

IMG_3095.jpeg.9897d08b51dacf6e783d0dc5e3aa77f1.jpeg

Prayers for all that need our support. That means YOU Tana! Every day. EVERY DAY! I always include Terry, too. Just in case you were wondering. ❤️

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Sandrone 2021 Barbera (Barbera d'Alba)

This Barbera sounds BIG, and I would love a taste. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $40.94.

Winemaker Notes

The warm weather in the last part of the 2021 vintage gave Barbera a potent, powerful frame on which hang the aromas and flavors of blackberries, blueberries, spice and earth notes. The vibrant acidity keeps the wine light on its feet, dancing on the palate, where the flavors of black stone fruits and black raspberries envelop the taste buds. There are notes of tannins from the tonneaux, which give a bit of structure but are in no way dominant. The finish has notes of wood, minerals and a long fade that lingers in the mouth. Vibrant, fresh, crackling with the energy of ripe black fruits.

93Wine Enthusiast

Enticing aromas of tart plums, boysenberries and wildflowers lift from the glass of this energetic and singular Barbera. The fleshy palate is driven by tart blue and black fruits that yield mixed spices and mouthwatering acidity on the finish.

93Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

Starting with thick concentration and inky darkness, the Luciano Sandrone 2021 Barbera d'Alba has cooked fruit aromas and some savory tones too, such as leather, spice and a hint of dusty licorice root. The style is big, and this wine is conventional with big juicy sensations. It's all very elaborate for a Barbera d'Alba, but we are talking about a vintage that naturally delivers extra concentration.

91James Suckling

This is very attractive with fresh dark and blue fruit together with hints of violets, dried citrus peel and cocoa, following through a medium-bodied, textured and sleek palate with crunchy acidity and vibrant juiciness to the fruit.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy 4th to the USA.  
I have to tell you I really like Stockperks.  It is the easiest process I’ve used to get my stock OBC,  Filled out the form on Monday, taking the photo of our stock, and sending in. Got an acknowledgment that night and an email last night that the amount was added to our booking.

Dental process yesterday was good, starting the implant process started on New Years Eve.  LOL Great way to end the year.

Cameron’s Kick cocktail: Not for me!

Ingredients:

1 oz. Blended Scotch whisky
1 oz. The busker Blended Irish Whiskey
1/3 oz. Giffard Orgeat Syrup
1/2 oz. Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
12 oz. Pasteurized egg white or Aquafina (chickpea water) or 3 dashes Fee Brothers Fee Foam cocktail foamer.
3 drops Saline solution 4:1 (20g sea salt to 80 g water)

Directions:

Shake all ingredients with ice and fine strain into a chilled glass.
Garnish with a Lemon zest twist.

Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 6.20.15 AM.png

Chickpea water??? 😱🤢

• Like 5
  • Haha 18