Snobbery on cruise lines?

6 minutes ago, sjde said:

Having sailed on Oceania and Azamara,  what might we find different on Crystal, Seaborne and SilverSea? 

Seabourn and Silversea are both smaller ship luxury lines.   Both are all-inclusive (shore excursions are not included on Seabourn).  These lines are also all suite which is a difference when compared to O and Azamara.  Consider that the largest ship in Seabourn's fleet carries 600 passengers (they also have 450 passenger ships).  Silversea has several different sizes, but our next SS cruise is on a ship with fewer than 400 passengers.  Yes, both O and Azamara have their smaller "R" ships, but those vessels come with mostly normal size cabins and very small cabin bathrooms.  Consider that on the Seabourn ships, the suite bathrooms come with a separate shower and full size tub, double sink, plenty of storage, etc.  Their suites also have walk-in closets, which is nice on longer cruises.

There are many other differences.  For example, I could be sitting at a bar on Seabourn, sipping French Champagne and ask the bar tender to please get me a double order of caviar.  No extra charge for this kind of thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sjde said:

Are Oceania and Azamara the only ones without formal nights? 

Viking does NOT have formal nights.  One of the reasons we do sail them.  If we were to sail a line with a formal night, we would just do the buffet that night.

We do like to come back from the days activities and shower and change into clean and nice clothes, but there is no way that I am putting on a jacket or tie for dinner.

This is just personal choice.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 4:51 PM, sjde said:
We have stayed away from the upscale cruise lines partly because of cost but also because of fear of snobbery, although we have been on Oceania and Azamara and  didn’t have a problem with those. Any comments on these other ones? 

Crystal 
 Hapag-Lloyd

Paul Gauguin  

Regent Seven Seas •

Seabourn Cruise Line 

Silversea Cruises 

Viking Ocean Cruises 
( we didn't love their river cruise)

I have discovered that the snobbery is much more prevalent among people who sail in the “ship within a ship” concepts than on the many luxury lines we have sailed. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I have discovered that the snobbery is much more prevalent among people who sail in the “ship within a ship” concepts than on the many luxury lines we have sailed. 

A snob is just an insecure human.  They are pathetic, to be pitied and dismissed.  I am grateful to this thread so I can lose my 'fear' of booking a luxury cruiseline.  Thanks, guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

but there is no way that I am putting on a jacket or tie for dinner.

So would that be considered "formal"? I guess I assumed, for men, suit and tie or tuxedo.

47 minutes ago, clo said:

So would that be considered "formal"? I guess I assumed, for men, suit and tie or tuxedo.

On the NCL Prima, I basically wore tie dye tee shirts to dinner. It kind of spoiled me for our river cruise this past spring when I had to wear collared shirts 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

My understanding of formal nights are for men, Jackets and Ties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My understanding of formal nights are for men, Jackets and Ties.

And pants. If you show up just wearing a jacket and tie they will send you back to your room. 

• Haha 7

20 minutes ago, wcook said:

And pants. If you show up just wearing a jacket and tie they will send you back to your room. 

And shoes. They will send you back if you come in with bare feet.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, wcook said:

I dunno ... if he's wearing jockey shorts and has nice legs, perhaps that will be acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/13/2024 at 1:51 PM, sjde said:
We have stayed away from the upscale cruise lines partly because of cost but also because of fear of snobbery, although we have been on Oceania and Azamara and  didn’t have a problem with those. Any comments on these other ones? 

Crystal 
 Hapag-Lloyd

Paul Gauguin  

Regent Seven Seas •

Seabourn Cruise Line 

Silversea Cruises 

Viking Ocean Cruises 
( we didn't love their river cruise)

Like others, I think this is unfounded. In truth, I encounter much more snobbery on the mainstream lines, especially in the ranks of the most frequent cruisers. 

I have recently sailed premium lines Viking Ocean, Silver, and even Celebrity’s high end expeditionary ship Flora. With any gathering of human beings, there will always be selfish people. But I can’t say snobbery was ever an issue. In fact, it was kinda nice not ever running into frequent cruisers who adorn themselves with status pins and want to act like they are direct descendants of Neptune. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, clo said:

I've been trying to think of a word better than snobbery. How about ostentation?

Snooty, Sniffy, Hoity Toity, Uppity, Puffed Up, Swollen Head?  

Or my personal favorite, La-Di-Da.  😄

We have probably given this "snob" issue more attention on this thread than it is worth.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Or my personal favorite, La-Di-Da.  😄

Doesn’t work for me. I can’t hear it without flashing to “Annie Hall.”

“'La-dee-da' was fading out of use in the language until it staged something of a comeback following its use by the eponymous heroine of the 1977 film Annie Hall.
Diane Keaton's character actually said 'La-dee-da, la-dee-da, la la'. This wasn't a reference to swanky or snobbish behavior - it was used as a meaningless phrase, spoken out of context when nervous, to emphasize Hall's ditzy personality.”

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/la-di-da.html

Edited by CPT Trips
Error code B372
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I dunno ... if he's wearing jockey shorts and has nice legs, perhaps that will be acceptable.

Jockey shorts?  Not briefs?  Speedo like?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Snobbery is in the eye of the beholder.  It will be different for everyone as it is subjective.

Very true and since this is not an attribute that enjoys a good reputation few will admit to being a snob, since they will define the term so that they do not meet the definition in their own eyes. 

• Like 3

On 7/14/2024 at 1:39 PM, Heidi13 said:

Having completed World Cruises on both Princess (mass market) and Viking Ocean (premium), we experienced more snobbery on Princess than on Viking. On Princess we experienced the Platinum Card crowd and the Suites crowd, with many in both groups believing they were special.

My worst experience for snobbery was also on Princess. She was an overbearing matron in the upper tier of the loyalty program who was constantly boasting about her privileges and access. 

On 7/14/2024 at 1:08 PM, jsn55 said:

We stopped cruising on Grand Circle's small ships because of the plethora of retired 'educators' who dominated the dinner tables with their tiresome opinions.  But that was a long time ago.  I am delighted to read these responses that my outlook is probably wrong. 

Your outlook isn't wrong but perhaps misapplied. The problem isn't the line but the retired "educators." They will dominate dinner tables with tiresome opinions regardless of which line they are on. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, K32682 said:

My worst experience for snobbery was also on Princess. She was an overbearing matron in the upper tier of the loyalty program who was constantly boasting about her privileges and access. 

Your outlook isn't wrong but perhaps misapplied. The problem isn't the line but the retired "educators." They will dominate dinner tables with tiresome opinions regardless of which line they are on. 

I have seen a couple of pinnacles like that , I remember one entering the suite lounge and telling a staff member that they should call concierge to tell him that they have arrived, we enjoy talking to pinnacles in general. 

• Like 1

@sjde

Any reply to your inquiry is only anecdotal evidence that doesn't make a such a generalized comment true.  While interesting to hear people's limited experiences (especially in this case discussing cruise lines that sail with millions of passengers a year on a large number of ships), extrapolating that experience to label an entire cruise line or even a ship is a fallacy even if it does provide some interesting stories.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have yet to sail a luxury line and nowadays, I'm not sure what a premium line is.  Travel sites are all over the place on cruise line classifications.  

Anyways, the snobbery I've encountered on all the lines I've sailed to date were mostly associated with upper tier loyalty status and not with economic status or real-world travel interest.  So that said, when I finally do push that button on a Viking cruise I've been eyeballing, I will not be anticipating or worrying about widespread snobbery.  Just the opposite, actually.    

• Like 2

You will find snobs on every cruise.  Those people always find a way to puff up.  I just move on because there are always plenty of very nice people everywhere 

• Like 4

We have met many wonderful people when cruising on the various cruise lines.

Once and awhile we encountered a person or two that we found “ overbearing “.

For us we just steered clear of them for the rest of the cruise.

Would you please pass the Grey Poupon  ? 🤣🤣

• Like 1