The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 16th, 2024

10 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

HELP.....daily reader here, not a daily poster.

Looking for experienced HAL cruiser advice.  We are seriously considering booking the 35 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise with the $1 deposit.

Advice I am looking for is can I book this directly online, is that advisable or should I go thru calling HAL with a PCC?

Thanks in advance.

Susan

Susan, I agree with Debbie.  If you have a good PCC, they can make sure you get exactly what you want.

Lenda

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Susan, I agree with Debbie.  If you have a good PCC, they can make sure you get exactly what you want.

Lenda

Thanks but I don't have a PCC.  

I know we are not supposed to talk that language here but if someone can please.

Susan and at g mail please I'd appreciate it.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Thanks but I don't have a PCC.  

I know we are not supposed to talk that language here but if someone can please.

Susan and at g mail please I'd appreciate it.

If you don't have a PCC, then a decent representative when you phone would be a good idea.  We've had trouble when booking on line.  The website took all our information for the Hawaii cruise in January, but we could not pay online.  Wound up calling, and everything worked out, including getting a good PCC.

Lenda

• Like 14

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute atomic veterans. I'm my own personal chef I guess, unless BFF is cooking for me. I'll pass on snake day. I like the quote. I like the meal (in cooler weather), pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Nuku alofa.

Probably the last day of our heat wave (over 90F), but it will be more humid. It's sunny and 93F now. I'm still having some unsteadiness/vertigo and early AM my stomach feels funny. I had to take BFF to the Dermatologist, for a follow-up from his Mohs surgery. He wanted to take me out to eat after, feeling that he could manage with the knee scooter. But I told him I've only been having rice, noodles and bread and didn't think I should eat out yet. He's eager to "repay" me for all the groceries and taxiing him around, although I told him not to worry about it. I'm going to have my coffee now, which I haven't had since Saturday. Now that I finished that tome on Oppenheimer, I started reading a similar sized biography of Alan Turing.

@Norseh2o Bon Voyage Katherine and Bob!

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad your Pinnacle dinner was good, but sorry the service was so slow.

@kazu Keeping good thoughts for you and Ivan today. Your garden is lovely. I'm glad he's out of surgery and did well!

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photo.

@cruising sister Thanks for the photo and update on Murphy. I hope they can get her medical issues stabilized. How exciting that Murphy will have a sibling!

@marshhawk Congrats on your sales yesterday. 

@Seasick Sailor Oh no on Allen losing more weight. I'm glad no bad news at the Nephrologist's office. I hope Oliver gets a good report from the vet.

@smitty34877 Prayers that Tana can regain some of her appetite.

@ger_77 Great back in the day photo of you, DH and DS. 

@GTVCRUISER Nice photo.

@RMLincoln Working at Sandia sounds like it was fascinating.

@luvteaching Good news that your DM is doing so well.

@Cruising-along Great photos from Nuku alofa. 

@superoma So sorry you tested positive for Covid and that DH is feeling so bad. Will you get Paxlovid? I'm set to get a booster the end of the month.

@Cruzin Terri Prayers that you feel better soon.

@Vict0riann Great news that you should have a working refrigerator by tomorrow! I know it will be helpful finding out what's next for you. And I'm sorry to hear that Pat has all those symptoms. 

@kochleffel Oh my on the widespread power outage, especially in this weather. I'm glad you're not affected at home. 

@Nickelpenny Sorry the stitches have to stay in longer, but better safe than sorry. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Oh my on the widespread power outage, especially in this weather. I'm glad you're not affected at home. 

The latest news is that one of the cooling centers has had to close because the 'lectric went off there.

There was a tornado warning earlier this afternoon but I didn't know it. We had just some wind and a little rain.

Power is still out at 11,143 households in this county. Those are more than 30% of all households. The number actually went up this afternoon when NYSEG got its math right.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 9

For all you world travelers, who have gone to and seen many more places than I have—

Have any of you been to 

Boca da Valeria  Brazil in the Amazon?

or 

Alter do Chao, Brazil, also in the Amazon.

What did you do there.

Our cruise in November stops in both these places.  There are no tours posted and very little info on both these place.

Any help would be appreciated.

i have looked on the ports section and there very little info.

Terri

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

For all you world travelers, who have gone to and seen many more places than I have—

Have any of you been to 

Boca da Valeria  Brazil in the Amazon?

or 

Alter do Chao, Brazil, also in the Amazon.

What did you do there.

Our cruise in November stops in both these places.  There are no tours posted and very little info on both these place.

Any help would be appreciated.

i have looked on the ports section and there very little info.

Terri

Terri, we've been to Boca da Valeria, which is a small native village, and there are no tours.  We walked around the village, part of which is steep, talked to a few of the natives.  The school and church were open to visit, as was one house.  We were advised not to give any money to the children because the parents would take it and spend it in the bar.  They also suggested not giving out candy since they do not have access to a dentist.  The best place to make any donations is to the school or the church.  It was an interesting day.  It is a tender port. 

We've also been to Alter do Chao, but by taxi from Santarem.  It is a nice town, and it might be a tender port.  We saw it as we drove through on the way to Belterra.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I don't normally do this, but today is an important day for us, as it was exactly 35 years ago that DH, our DS and I embarked on our first ever cruise and we have a photo to prove it.  What a memorable time it was and how it changed our holiday travel plans from over the years, bringing us to so many destinations that we'd only ever dreamed of.  We really are blessed.

FirstCruise.jpg.e2118816345143b34025f2e5c2795bf4.jpg

Remember Carnival's "If My Friends Could See Me Now!" with Kathie Lee Gifford?  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

HELP.....daily reader here, not a daily poster.

Looking for experienced HAL cruiser advice.  We are seriously considering booking the 35 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise with the $1 deposit.

Advice I am looking for is can I book this directly online, is that advisable or should I go thru calling HAL with a PCC?

Thanks in advance.

Susan

Unlike the others, I don’t use a PCC ( I used mine once and she totally mucked up the pricing and I was done like a dinner as it was past final payment).

I use my TA - whether it be $1 deposit, EBB or regular cruise.

the thing about a TA is they work for you - not the cruise line and the good ones often throw in OBC or discount the price. 👍 

• Like 19

21 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Terri, we've been to Boca da Valeria, which is a small native village, and there are no tours.  We walked around the village, part of which is steep, talked to a few of the natives.  The school and church were open to visit, as was one house.  We were advised not to give any money to the children because the parents would take it and spend it in the bar.  They also suggested not giving out candy since they do not have access to a dentist.  The best place to make any donations is to the school or the church.  It was an interesting day.  It is a tender port. 

We've also been to Alter do Chao, but by taxi from Santarem.  It is a nice town, and it might be a tender port.  We saw it as we drove through on the way to Belterra.

Lenda

Thanks Lenda.  This is very helpful.

Terri

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Thanks again Lenda.  Seems like you double posted.

Terri

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds go but perhaps on a cooler day, it is a favorite.  I took the afternoon off from work to take Zander to the doctor.  They just love him.  He lost a half pound which pleased the doctor. Last visit she used the f word to his face.  We think it was a change in diet.

@kazu Ivan is like my cats, they are all family.

20231118_133429.thumb.jpeg.7f47250f59e391d5890030e08298b22a.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Well, wanted to provide an update.  We were assigned a PCC so we will see what happens.  I will let everyone know if we are able to book.  

Thanks again, this Daily reading has been a life blessing to me.

We had 3 cruises booked in 2025 and last fall my partner announced to me that he is having short term memory issues.

Long story short he will NOT under ANY circumstances see a doctor.  We have been together for 25 years and he has never seen a doctor.  The ONLY way he will get there is unconscious and via ambulance I am afraid.  It is what it is and I have to accept that it is his life.

This summer has been a summer of acceptance and learning for me.  My dad passed 18 years ago from Alzheimers so I am familiar.

This Daily reading has helped me stay centered so much and I also have my part time job which my partner is still working as well.  I take the good days and cherish them and the bad days I may not like them but I accept them.

I have found comfort in several web sites as well and I am journaling.  Right now the most important thing is to keep myself healthy both physically and emotionally so I can be there for my partner.

We cancelled the 3 Alaska cruises but we are seriously considering the 35 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise while we are both still of semi sound mind and body.

Thanks to all for all your Daily input you have no idea how much you all mean to me!

Susan

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!  

We had some rain overnight, but the forecast says today will be partly sunny and 85.  Pollen index is high with the main culprit being weed pollen.  I can tell already!   I have yoga this morning and then a Zoom meeting at 11.  After that I have to hit the grocery store because I am entertaining former classmates for lunch tomorrow.  I'm doing burgers and dogs and they will bring side dishes and dessert.  

We had the cod with herbed mayonnaise last night and it was very good.  I'd like to try it with a fish that holds together so if I can find some halibut, we might have that.  I bet the herbed mayo would go well on salmon, too!  

Soup is not calling my name today.  After the recent heat it is the last thing I want.  So, tuck this recipe away for fall.  This first recipe is rather high in carbs, so I would pass on it.  Or leave out half the ingredients.   Mom's Minestrone 1

momsminestrone.jpg.062d956a8ab4b94d6fb6710c3abf601c.jpg

This next one is lower in carbs, probably due to the lack of potato and pasta. This looks more like a traditional minestrone.  The first recipe is more like a stew.   Mom's Minestrone 2

momsminestrone2.thumb.jpeg.09d1ff8f341fac653710038194684b43.jpeg

I couldn't pass up this recipe because it has butternut squash in it!  Just when you thought you were safe!  Mom's Minestrone 3

momsminestrone3.jpg.263045e091c42ffdd0f2df48fa0256ec.jpg

Here's hoping one of these soups makes it on the table next fall when we are lamenting the loss of summer's warmth.  

@Denise T  I am enjoying your countdown to your cruise.  38 days until mine!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

I can eat soup anytime of the year, always the perfect comfort food, especially if it's been simmering all day long.  

• Like 19

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Unlike the others, I don’t use a PCC ( I used mine once and she totally mucked up the pricing and I was done like a dinner as it was past final payment).

I use my TA - whether it be $1 deposit, EBB or regular cruise.

the thing about a TA is they work for you - not the cruise line and the good ones often throw in OBC or discount the price. 👍 

I'm not fond of them either, they are always difficult to reach, I'd rather call CS and get issues resolved asap.  

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I can still hear the song in my head.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Well, wanted to provide an update.  We were assigned a PCC so we will see what happens.  I will let everyone know if we are able to book.  

We had 3 cruises booked in 2025 and last fall my partner announced to me that he is having short term memory issues.

Long story short he will NOT under ANY circumstances see a doctor.  We have been together for 25 years and he has never seen a doctor.  The ONLY way he will get there is unconscious and via ambulance I am afraid.  It is what it is and I have to accept that it is his life.

This summer has been a summer of acceptance and learning for me.  My dad passed 18 years ago from Alzheimers so I am familiar.

This Daily reading has helped me stay centered so much and I also have my part time job which my partner is still working as well.  I take the good days and cherish them and the bad days I may not like them but I accept them.

I have found comfort in several web sites as well and I am journaling.  Right now the most important thing is to keep myself healthy both physically and emotionally so I can be there for my partner.

We cancelled the 3 Alaska cruises but we are seriously considering the 35 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise while we are both still of semi sound mind and body.

Thanks to all for all your Daily input you have no idea how much you all mean to me!

Susan

I'm sorry to hear your partner will not see a doctor.

Sending you my best wishes and support.

• Like 12

@Cruzin Terri i looked at what I'm pretty sure is your cruise on cruisetimetables.com, and it looks like at least originally Nautica was to visit Santarem twice, but apparently one is now Altar do Chao.  It is definitely a tender port, and the tender landing is not pleasant.  Unless Oceania comes up with some tours later (were there originally multiple for Santarem) I would likely consider it a "sea day"  I did walk through the town (I was more mobile in 2019) but did not find much of interest  I think Amazon is hot enough that a day in air conditioning or on a shaded balcony would be a very nice break.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks again Lenda.  Seems like you double posted.

Terri

Sorry about that.  I had some problems with CC about then, and didn't catch the double post. 

28 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Susan

Susan, I'm sorry about your partner's memory issues, and that he won't see a doctor.  A good PCC is a great asset, but we've had a couple that didn't know as much about what to do as we did.  Glad you are booked, and will only lose $2 at most.

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Cruzin Terri i looked at what I'm pretty sure is your cruise on cruisetimetables.com, and it looks like at least originally Nautica was to visit Santarem twice, but apparently one is now Altar do Chao.  It is definitely a tender port, and the tender landing is not pleasant.  Unless Oceania comes up with some tours later (were there originally multiple for Santarem) I would likely consider it a "sea day"  I did walk through the town (I was more mobile in 2019) but did not find much of interest  I think Amazon is hot enough that a day in air conditioning or on a shaded balcony would be a very nice break.

Roy

Roy, we drove through there, but didn't spend much time.

Lenda

• Like 15

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We were on the cruise with her when they were filming a commercial for the then brand new Destiny. Frank and the kids were with her. It turned out to be a very interesting cruise. Many areas were restricted and the "extras" for the commercial were not happy. Carnival kept throwing all these drink coupons at us regular passengers. So we of course had a great time!!

• Like 18

Posted (edited)

Jumping in very late in the game (busy day working on convention reports) , but I have to agree with Indiana Jones........"Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes??!!"

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9