The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 31st, 2024

Today is National #Love Day, National Mutt Day, and Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Meal Suggestion for today - Heirloom Tomato Salad with Charred Corn & Pepper Salsa
Drink of the Day - Mary Pickford
Wine of the Day - 19 Crimes The Warden
Destination of the Day - Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland, United Kingdom

Today in History:
1620 Pilgrim Fathers depart Leiden, Netherlands for England on their way to America

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Alaska 0000-0000

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 21:30

Nieuw Statendam

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis 0800-1700

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 11:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

Geiranger, Norway 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Red Bay NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 08:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 08:00 - 17:00

0731Alaska.thumb.png.6d8d6a9ff6f547cf8f21f1939bb84c06.png

0731Atlantic.thumb.png.fed30752e6ace6054b23ee78c3125d6d.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Mary Pickford, a classic rum cocktail, is known to be sweet but with a kick—not unlike like its namesake. The most popular origin story for this tropical favorite goes like this: In early 1920s Cuba, the Mary Pickford cocktail was created and named for the pioneering star, who was working on a film in Havana at the time with husband Douglas Fairbanks (as was Charlie Chaplin, Fairbanks’ best friend). The bartender responsible, as happens with most classic drinks, is somewhat debated. In this case, it comes down to two local bartenders: Eddie Woelke and Fred Kaufman, though Kaufman tends to get the lion’s share of the credit.

While the Cuba story is a fun one, Vanity Fair reports that “a thorough review of Mary and Doug’s schedule reveals no trips to Cuba—and they never made a film there during their marriage.” This throws a wrench in the tale, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the drink wasn’t made in Pickford’s honor.

We do know that the Mary Pickford cocktail first appeared in print in 1928 with the publishing of Basil Woon’s cocktail book, “When It’s Cocktail Time in Cuba,” and again in the 1930 edition of “The Savoy Cocktail Book” by legendary bartender Harry Craddock.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. white rum
1 1/2 oz. Pineapple juice
1 teaspoon grenadine
6 drops maraschino liqueur
Directions:
Add the white rum, pineapple juice, grenadine and maraschino liqueur to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.

Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 6.36.44 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  Yesterday was sunny a good part of the time but at 9 p.m. last night a big thunderstorm showed up.  As Annie @marshhawk mentioned last night there was quite a light show going on.  I didn’t stay up late enough to see how long it lasted though.  Today it’s starting out at 71F and we should reach at least 90.  Skies will be partly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms. 

Thanks Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  Interesting that Nieuw Statendam is situated in the same place as our port today, Stornoway.  Hoping that Charlene @cunnorl and @St Pete Cruiser are enjoying Isafjordur and the weather there is nice.  I’m sure everyone will enjoy talking about the days of recognition, the quote, meal, drink and wine.  I didn’t know the Pilgrims began their journey in the Netherlands.  Thanks for that Rich @richwmn.  Also I want to thank Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports each day.

Prayers and extra hugs today for our Care list people, especially Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Tana and Terry @smitty34877, Jacqui @kazu, Vanessa @JazzyV, Joy’s @Seasick Sailor DS Bonnie, Roy @rafinmd, Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Debbie @dfish and Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Also for my DB and twin, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the war zones.  Happy days for those celebrating special occasions and cruising!  Enjoy!  Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up the lists for us.  We appreciate you!

The port this morning is Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland, UK.  This was the port before on July 22, 2021 and Jan. 14, 2022.  At that time I hadn’t been there yet, but now I have been!  Zuiderdam, June 25, 2024.  Here are the links for your convenience.

I spoke to DN Lisa and she said her new grandsons are doing quite well. The two grandmas are taking turns spending the night at Alex and Jordan’s house to help out and give the parents a little time to sleep.  It seems to be working out fine.  Here is a new photo of the little cuties and big sister Elliott Rose. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Hope you all have a super day today!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 72°F here.

3 good days and interesting quote.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland

We were able to visit Stornoway for the first time while on Zuiderdam on June 25, 2024.  It was originally scheduled for June 24 and then Portree, Scotland on the 25th.  Due to high winds and rough seas we were unable to get immigration on the ship on the 24th.  That became a sea day and they rescheduled Stornoway for the 25th and cut out Portree altogether due to the distance to the two Scottish ports. Portree is so beautiful and I’m sad we had to miss it. But on the 25th we stood in line right after breakfast and they began handing out immigration slot numbers.

The line was quite long by that time. Eventually they began calling numbers to file through the dining room and see the immigration officers.  Check that off the list.  About 9:45 we were ready to head to town.  The dock was new and well outside the town.  Unfortunately they didn’t have enough buses and there was quite a wait.  Thank goodness the buses were double deckers to carry more people. 

The ride took 15 minutes to town and 11 minutes back to the ship.  Slightly different route and two different drivers.  The town itself is small, with older shops.  It didn’t take us long to see what we felt we needed to so I would think a tour at Stornoway would be a good idea.  This is the marina area adjacent to the drop off spot in town.

Then we walked by Martin’s Memorial Church and over to a community center where a craft show was going on.  They had some nice woolen items for sale in there.

Once outside of town and headed back to the ship you go past some nice meadowlands with a walking path from the ship.  I’m not sure how far you can go though before you run out of path.  No way would I want to try to walk to town from the ship.  Too far IMO.

Then I took photos of the surroundings from the top deck after lunch.  We were near the lighthouse.

And the brand new dock area still under construction.

A view to Stornoway 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Report.

Cloudy and humid here now, but it's supposed to be sunny later.  We had rain yesterday evening.

Three good days to celebrate although Mutt Day is everyday in our house.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, the drink sounds interesting, not sure about the wine.

Love the pictures of today's port, thanks.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck battling cancer

Marshhawk as caretaker for DH Chuck with physical & mental decline

Dfish with hernia repair issues

Vict0riann’s DH Pat with shortness of breath, heart valve issues

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Luvteaching’s DS’s 48th Birthday!

Dfish’s successful nerve ablation; able to walk much longer

Rafinmd’s improved sleeping and less neck pain

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, good eye pressures this week

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore Aug 4 to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 21
  • Thanks 19

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I thought that I would get rain last night. No such luck. Maybe this morning? 

The usual for today, grading assignments. I have been working on statistics for my dissertation. Uuuugh. I have always disliked statistics and I think I try delaying working on it. Just can't do that anymore if I want this thing done. 70 days until the cruise!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

80 Really Funny Wednesday Memes to Make Brighten Your Hump day - Dreams ...

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Another day of living as if underwater. The humidity is terrible!  But Bob cat said he wanted his window open so he could look out on the world.  When we get back from the vets, the windows will be closed.

Early morning is "fight" time with the kittens.  I get attacked when I pick up the plates from the night before, I get attacked when I put down the plates for breakfast, and once their bellies are full, they run around like kittens do attacking each other and testing out the big orange cats.

DH picks up one or two of the cats, usually Tazi, and one kitten and takes them to bed with him. Tazi stays, as that was her normal sleeping spot, but sometime during the night, a lonely kitten comes down the hall to find it's family, and the fights begin again.

For some reason I cannot turn on the volume on my computer, and last night I lost the icon for sound completely, so I need to figure out what is going on today.  

And does anyone know where this lighthouse is?  I know it's from our Alaska cruise, and think it was after a Canadian port. after Prince Rupert...

image.thumb.jpeg.269d817494fc883675f94aed4353064d.jpeg

Chihuly-Seattle

image.thumb.jpeg.f83d32e8d8120dd2279b8f8f2ffe701d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0ae246fb13900eb1db3e149d445bc585.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cfb7e7015feb3e0a3c6a8652c5f9edf1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c15bc375a2c7fcec2314d4a36a37a45e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f66e6a31ebe7c497c803127190669d81.jpeg

I told one of my bosses that I plan to take a day off the week after next, as I need a sanity day.

He agreed.  

Today after the vet visit, I need to vacuum. Jersey's mom will be coming to get her child this weekend.

Have a great day!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone and happy Wednesday.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  Let's all celebrate mutts.  A great quote by Eleanor Roosevelt.   When we were in Amsterdam to board the Konigsdam my friend who accompanied me and her Dutch friend and I took a train to Leiden.  My friend descended from the Pilgrims and wanted to visit the Pilgrim Museum in Leiden.   We made it to the small city of Leiden but never made it to the museum as my elderly friend passed out briefly so we spent seven hours in an ER.  It was jet lag and we were able to take the train back to Amsterdam that night.  Thanks for the lovely photos of Stornoway Sandi and of the twins and Eliot Rose.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for you as you continue to battle vertigo.  Prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving. Prayers for the people of Ukraine and those in war zones through no fault of their own.  

We finally got some rain last evening and it cooled it off a bit.  It was 61 when I woke and 68 in the cabin.  So far we have dodged the generator run and it looks like a good solar day.  It will get into the high 80s again so fishing will definitely be a go for us.  Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Quite the marine layer this morning. Yesterday’s humidity was gross. But an evening T-storm helped release it, so it feels better this morning.

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that you can lick that vertigo. Soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, pool time - weather permitting. Possibly a visit to the local wine bar. Just a normal Wednesday!

IMG_3214.jpeg.f9e126c6bad9e30ab60bd0949abf1331.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg.51103040d7e27ffe00f14eebc2f77c1a.jpeg

These folk are ready for hurricane season…

IMG_3211.jpeg.1fc0e1de99cffeadea218961f1ca3809.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana and Terry praying that you both have a good day. Chuck and Annie I pray that Chuck’s medical team can find a way to give him some relief and that you get some rest - Annie. 

Praying for all our caregivers. May they find the strength to keep on keepin’ on and someone to help them carry their burden. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @StLouisCruisers Sandi, Elliott Rose and the Boys are just adorable. Thank you for sharing their pictures!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

19 Crimes The Warden

This Australian red blend is powerful, just like the convict/colonists that were transported there. It is easy to find and reasonably priced. 
Anyone guilty of any of the following crimes could be deported.

IMG_4814.jpeg.17896dd07e33a738a129db90f95305be.jpeg

Rumor has it that sometimes a crime was added to the list to get rid of certain folk. Online prices start at $13.99.

Distributor notes

Dense with a rich mouth feel. Intense dark fruits with notes of mocha & oak.

If you're going to send a band of 19th century British rogues to live in Australia over penalty of death, you're going to need a very unique individual to oversee them. Enter The Warden. Just as crafty and twice as determined as those prisoners convicted of one of the infamous 19 crimes, The Warden made sure sentences were upheld and a community arose out of a dusty frontier.

Wine Specifications

Vintage

Country

Australia

Region

South Eastern Australia

Alcohol %

• Like 16
  • Thanks 18
  • Haha 3

DH just got a call from the vet, appointment cancelled, vet has Covid. I had already cancelled the dog walking this morning.  Guess I'll fix an English muffin, and try to find somewhere to sleep for a few more hours.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a hot one here in mid-Michigan today.  The predicted high is 88F with mostly sunny skies, high pollen, and high humidity.  How can we be so lucky?  Nothing at all on the agenda today except the gym.  The pain in the left leg is back full time, although not as bad in some aspects and worse in others.  It used to go down to my knees, now it goes all the way down the leg.  But, it isn't as intense all the time as it was before.  Just enough to let me know it is there.  And I can walk it out most of the time. I have a follow up appointment for nerve ablation and will bring it up then.  

@JazzyV I don't think I need to be on the Care List until I get confirmation about the hernia situation.  Yesterday I wasn't bulging, so it may be my imagination.  Who knows?  Anyways, there are people much more in need of prayers than I am.  

Today's meal sounds quite refreshing.  It is actually a side dish and would go well with grilled chicken or fish.  Adjust the peppers to the heat you like or tolerate and make it your own.  Heirloom Tomato Salad

Heirloomtomatosalad1.jpg.645e1441f984a78eb9f948bff80e1f82.jpg

This one has a different dressing to go with it and includes avocadoes in the salad.  Leave them out if you don't like them, but I love them!   Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad

Heirloomtomatosalad2.thumb.jpg.bd2f671c16077221308c4d5411a5ce95.jpg

This version sounds good as well.  Tomato Salad with Sweet Corn

Heirloomtomatosalad3.thumb.jpg.98c0b5a65362bfb946b9c0647ee46ce7.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich and thank to the F. & B team.

What a great collection of says.  Since I know he loves me (and vice versa), I will celebrate Mutt day.  Here is a pic I was sent when he stayed at my dog walker’s overnight  for my surgery date.  She said he was a very GOOD boy.  she adores him.

IMG_1882.thumb.jpeg.34e0de1e500164b396ebe82c3da294a2.jpeg

The meal sounds delish and I think I would really enjoy it but there are other plans for tonight…..

It truly is Hump day in this house.  The dumpster arrives today and stuff is tart going in.  One worker arrives after school and the other right after work with neither stopping at home for dinner.   It’s going to be hard busy work, so I told them I would buy dinner and they had a choice of what they wanted.  Pizza.  Need to check on salads (if they even want them).  And now that there is a chair in my office again I need to go back upstairs and finish those last 3 book shelves.

IMG_1073.thumb.jpeg.0af4ceea17ab198133e85575030163b8.jpeg

I lost way too much time yesterday trying to get my email fixed.  My provider wasn’t a whole lot of help and I finally got it fixed myself.  Unimpressed is putting it mildly.  But, the guys  got 30+ big boxes and bags from downstairs and the garage and placed them in the front porch to be picked up by charity last night.  And I reviewed the 31 pages of my contract, signed, etc.  I think all my questions have been answered.  There’s one temporary burp but it can be worked around.

IMG_0915.thumb.jpeg.4f16fac3d50d919db393a5125702602c.jpeg

I went to sleep feeling good and woke up all too early with nightmares about the house being empty for months and not  selling.  Since the nightmare wouldn’t go away, I got up way too early.  On the bright side, I got all of my spread sheets up to date.

IMG_0909.jpeg.8ec0a2785163bfeb0af0d16080676598.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, ;those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thank you for the Dailys!!

Love to love...  and feel loved...  And we have always had mutts, so that's a good thing -- but right now, all we have is lots of quail, for eggs, and a pure-bred Corgi.  I know we'll have a mutt, again, so let's celebrate all Mutts!!!  As for uncommon instruments -- are we talking medical, musical, precision...???

I pray for all in need and all with an unspoken need!  I cheer the one who are cruising or are readying to leave!!!  And, send each of you a hug and a smile!!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D    I like all 3 of today’s days..    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

Interesting quote by a great lady...

I have not been to Stornaway

An interesting day in our history..

I’ll pass on the meal...  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad, Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart, as served on MS Westerdam July 30 2018..

..dishes31.jpg
PT again today then fire house UPS, and grocery/pharmacy.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from my 2010 Blount cruise New England to Quebec.  On July 31 Grande Caribe arrived in Quebec:

IMG_2497.thumb.JPG.43ccd4284947b1453c913

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5