Why aren’t there escalators on ships?

miched

With the ships always trying to out do each other with new features and novel ideas why not have a few escalators?

I would think that it would eliminate some of the elevator congestion and help get passengers to trivia and bingo faster, 🙄 or the buffet. 🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I don't know why there aren't escalators, so I offer the following for your consideration, in no specific order:

1. lack of real estate

2. more maintenance than the few elevators

3. general functionality on a rolling ship

4. force many of us travelers to get some exercise going to/returning from the buffet/dining room/bars

Don’t the M class Celebrity ships have them in the galley?
Yes. We got to ride the escalators up from deck 3 to deck 5 a couple of times when we took galley tours.
With the ships always trying to out do each other with new features and novel ideas why not have a few escalators?

We were on some cruise ships on other cruise lines that had escalators in passenger areas, so it would be more of a revival than anything new or novel.

That was long ago and I don't remember which ships they were.

How about a moving sidewalk between the front and rear of the ship, like they have at airports with long concourses?

Edited by varoo

There are plenty of people on dry land who struggle with escalators, either trying to carry too much stuff in their hands so they aren't holding on properly or pushing strollers to 'balance' them on steps, or people with canes and walkers who can't always step on/step off easily.

I shudder to think how they would manage on a moving cruise ship.

I like the stairs. It is a help to balance the good food and keeping weight off.

I agree with you and used to think taking the stairs was a great idea, until my knees no longer agreed with me and began expressing an opposing opinion more and more frequently. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

The are definitely not unheard of on ships. Oasis class ships has them, NCL Epic does, and the Princess ships that had the nightclub at the back had a covered escalator/people mover to access that area.

For whatever reason, escalators are not common on ships. Could be the movement and so on, but probably due to the room it ties up.

I was on the USS Kitty Hawk, a US carrier, and it had two escalators. It was the only more modern carrier with escalators that I know of. Early carriers had squadron ready rooms for the pilots just below the flight deck, but they found that chancy in WWII with bombs penetrating the teak decks and killing many of the aircrew. So Many WWII carriers put the squadron ready rooms on lower decks. The Kitty Hawk also did that, and with the heavy gear aircrew had to wear in modern times (weighed about 40lbs or so) getting up to the flight deck was a hassle so they added the escalators. But I think the Hawk was the only one built after WWII that did that, and all the others put their squardon ready rooms back just below the flight deck again and the escalators weren’t needed.

They do take up a lot of real-estate which is very important on any ship, commercial or military. So that’s probably why they aren’t around much. It would be very efficient for waitstaff - picture them using elevators our lugging up stairs. But what I saw of the crew escalators were steeper then what you see for the general public.

But Im no expert. But it’s fun speculating.

Den

I think escalators can work out more expensive in the long run. 1 lift can take you up and down say 4 stories but you might need 8 escalators to do that. And if one of those goes out of service the whole system goes Tango Uniform. Servicing of escalators is also slow and when come to replace them it takes ages.

I would love to see the comeback of the old Paternoster lifts. Best of both worlds (if you're able bodied) - although they would be fun in choppy seas 😀

http://www.aston.ac.uk/50/history/paternoster-lifts/