"party/wild scene" on ships - is it real?

arinie17

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

Yes the Compass is a news letter that lists all the daily activities on the ship. There is also a kids version

You will find the Compass in your stateroom. The childrens Compass is at guest services  

When our kids were younger, the kids' Compass was always delivered to our stateroom with the "regular" Compass.

21 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I see you are on Oasis, so you can view many of the daily activities already, on the Royal Caribbean App.  You can download for android or IOS devices. 

Wow, crazy that you know that!?  As you can see, I'm new to this so thank you for sharing this, very cool!  I will be downloading it this weekend!  

Thank you everyone for feedback very helpful! 

I've sailed on the Empress of the Seas when it came back into the fleet before it started consistently doing the Cuba itineraries. We were on a 3 night cruise that was a little more party atmosphere than I have experienced on RCCL. There were a lot of drunk people on the pool deck doing a lot of things I wouldn't want my kiddos to witness but I truly believe this is the exception. No straight out nudity.

The Family Quest is a lot of fun. We took our kids the last cruise and we even won! I recommend it to anyone with children under 12. The craziest thing we had to do was dance in unison with our family and make a family hug.

3 hours ago, katiel53 said:

Methinks your friend partied too much and doesn't even know what ships she was on!  I have sailed on Royal Caribbean for many years and never have I seen a nude deck or even a topless deck.  I know years ago Carnival had a topless deck, but that was done away with.

Norwegian Epic has a “Freestyle “ deck 19  for nude sun bathing.

I used that area alot on sea days since there was a great breeze when I sailed before Christmas. Also had to use #50 spf.

4 hours ago, arinie17 said:

So we leave for our first cruise in 8 days with our two kids (8 and 11)!  Super excited!  However, I just had lunch with a co-worker who was telling me stories about crazy pool parties/contests where people are stuffing items in their swimsuit or that there is a nude deck.  She has cruised a handful of times and swears it was on a Royal Caribbean but I have never heard anything like this.  I booked Royal Caribbean as it was ranked as the best cruise ship for families but now I'm a little nervous! 

Anyone know if this is real?  Do these things happen?  Is there a nude deck?  I'm assuming if there are parties like this, it is posted in their itinerary/agenda and we just make sure to avoid that area but didn't think this was happening on this line??  TIA!

Just keep an eye on your kids. RCL is very good about proper passengers conduct. I’ve found the shorter the cruise the more rude behavior. The longer the cruise age demographics go up and things quit down after dinner.

4 hours ago, arinie17 said:

Wow, thank you all for the quick replies!  I'm feeling much better, thank you!  Don't get me wrong, I know they'll see stuff and I can't keep them in a bubble nor do I want to, but not sure I want to have the birds and the bees talk on my vacation!  😄

Someone mentioned the "compass", I am assuming that is the agenda of activities correct?  Good to know they label those activities, we'll just be sure to avoid those.  Or put the kids in the kids club and go ourselves....  J/K.  

Can't wait for the vacation to start!

Your friend is either having "wishful thinking" episodes, or was dreaming.  There are some "hairy legs" contests, or "belly flop" contests....but that's about as wild as it get.

There is an 'adult" show called "Quest" where folks do silly, adultish things...but kids are not supposed to be there...so don't take your kids.

I have been sailing RC since the 1990’s and have never seen a topless deck - even in Europe, although I have occasionally heard of one in Europe. 

I do vividly remember the fruit in the pool game - only because my 19-year-old son was a participant. Much tamer pool games now!  Drinking age was very relaxed back then too. He is now now in his 40’s and still cruising RC with his kids! 

Now no worries at all. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend RCto families and multigenerational groups.  You might have a few people partying a bit too much especially on short cruises, batchelor or batchelorette parties, but you see that anywhere. 

Adult activities are clearly marked in the cruise compass - quest, even love and marriage show, etc. 

enjoy your cruise. 

6 hours ago, arinie17 said:

So we leave for our first cruise in 8 days with our two kids (8 and 11)!  Super excited!  However, I just had lunch with a co-worker who was telling me stories about crazy pool parties/contests where people are stuffing items in their swimsuit or that there is a nude deck.  She has cruised a handful of times and swears it was on a Royal Caribbean but I have never heard anything like this.  I booked Royal Caribbean as it was ranked as the best cruise ship for families but now I'm a little nervous! 

Anyone know if this is real?  Do these things happen?  Is there a nude deck?  I'm assuming if there are parties like this, it is posted in their itinerary/agenda and we just make sure to avoid that area but didn't think this was happening on this line??  TIA!

Your co-worker might have been on a charter for a nude/swingers cruise;  And during the Spring Break period, and your not in that period, the young people will push the limits, especially with their bathing suits, or the lack thereof,  but other than that you will be fine.  Have a great time

The worst drunk deck party we have seen was on Disney.  Our son's first cruise and he asked if this was normal.  Never seen as many drunks on RCCL or Princess.  And did see fruit/veg stuffing in pool but it was many years ago.  Still was clean, although amazing the one guy got 14 objects including a small watermelon in a very baggy suit.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:41 PM, champagne123 said:

Carnival Cruise Line used to have the naughty deck. Maybe your friend was confused. They did away with it though 

“Naughty” deck. Really?  So Naughty and topless/nude are the same?  If topless bathing is allowed (which it generally is not on Rccl,  and nude certainly is not)  then why is it naughty?   Is the beach on St. Marteen or in countless other European countries considered “naughty”. Topless is perfectly acceptable in many places. There are certain nude beach clubs where those who desire to be nude would not consider themselves to be naughty. 

We we see many families on beaches where top less bathing is acceptable. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, arinie17 said:

Wow, thank you all for the quick replies!  I'm feeling much better, thank you!  Don't get me wrong, I know they'll see stuff and I can't keep them in a bubble nor do I want to, but not sure I want to have the birds and the bees talk on my vacation!  😄

Someone mentioned the "compass", I am assuming that is the agenda of activities correct?  Good to know they label those activities, we'll just be sure to avoid those.  Or put the kids in the kids club and go ourselves....  J/K.  

Can't wait for the vacation to start!

The raunchiest thing I have seen (besides the Quest) was two older men in thongs, who were competing in the sexiest man contest. That was a few years ago.

Avoiding weekend cruises helps with the general drunken atmosphere as well.