Could you buy toiletries and over the counter drugs on your last cruise ship?

librarygal

On our last cruise, we got sick and ran out of over the counter drugs, mouthwash and needed a new toothbrush.  Went down to the ship stores and could not find anyplace that sold over the counter drugs and toiletries. The shop that used to sell those things now sold expensive handbags and jewelry. This is insane!  We were too sick to leave the ship to attempt to find these things onshore.

Do other cruise ships sell things like toiletries and over the counter drugs on board in your experience?

This situation was on the Carnival Horizon.  I asked a number of people on board about buying these things and were told they no longer sold them because the stores made more money selling expensive watches, etc.  The doctor did not sell these things either.

the liquor store is the place to find sundries.  at about a 10 thousand percent markup.  

most people just find the nearest drugstore  in port.   no risk of expired  items plus way less expensive, even if there is a  currency exchange.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, librarygal said:

On our last cruise, we got sick and ran out of over the counter drugs, mouthwash and needed a new toothbrush.  Went down to the ship stores and could not find anyplace that sold over the counter drugs and toiletries. The shop that used to sell those things now sold expensive handbags and jewelry. This is insane!  We were too sick to leave the ship to attempt to find these things onshore.

Do other cruise ships sell things like toiletries and over the counter drugs on board in your experience?

Hi

Looking at one of your other recent posts, you indicated you were considering leaving the cruise early to end your misery. How were you planning on doing that, if you weren't even able to get off the ship to buy a toothbrush? 

You yourself suggested that you were seasick, did you not consider that getting off the ship for a day would have improved your situation, even if it was only to find a pharmacy where you could have bought some medication to ease your condition?

Sorry, if you choose to just sit and moan and complain about everything, I have no sympathy.

• Like 3

So ... you got sick, had bad buffet food (could this have been because you were sick?), didn't sleep well (could this have been because you were sick?), was irritated by hallway noise (could this have been because you were sick?).  Shall I go on?  GET OVER IT.

IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL.

• Like 3

We were on a Celebrity cruise last year and were surprised that we couldn't see any shop selling toiletries, OTC meds etc. On asking, we found they were now out of sight in a cupboard, but were still available to buy. If we hadn't asked, we would have assumed they were not there.

6 hours ago, librarygal said:

Every ship we've been on has had a small "drug store" type area with toothpaste, soap, deodorant, aspirin, etc.  

• Like 1

Some lines have stopped selling "stomach" meds over the counter. Their concern is people may have noro and try to self medicate and in turn, infect the other passengers on the ship. They want you to go to the med facility and see the doctor/nurse to see if you have noro or just ate too many burgers/pizza/ice cream/etc.

Many experienced cruisers bring a bag of over the counter meds for the typical maladies on a cruise: cold, bronchitis, diarrhea, etc. Customer service often gives out sea sickness tablets. Google cruise packing lists and see their recommendations, otherwise you will be purchasing the most expensive meds and items of your life. Also, keep in mind that many items aren't available. Nyquil was a popular one on one transpacific. Seems that Australians can't buy that in their countries and the shelves were empty.

11 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Twice on Celebrity ships when we needed a couple of items we found that one of the shops had a closed cabinet with toiletries and a few OTC medications.  Without asking we would never have found it.  

Yes, I found that on our Silhouette cruise.  If I hadn’t asked, I would have assumed there weren’t any items like cold remedies or toothpaste on board.  The girl I asked got a key and opened up the “secret” cabinet.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:30 AM, librarygal said:

I have always found things of this nature.  Not a big selection but I did need aspirin once and found it.  They do often seasick meds in larger selections. 

Ignoring that the OP has their own problems...they do raise a good point.   We sometimes laugh about the idea that we have a complete pharmacy with us when we cruise (especially long cruises).  If we find that we forgot something or might run out....we try to purchase items at a port.  In fact, even the crew of most ships will buy their stuff in ports because the selection onboard is not good and the prices are inflated.

As to seasick medication I will toss out a hint.  Many frequent (and newbie) cruisers use Bonine for mal de mer.  Bonine is actually the drug Meclizine Hcl (25 mg) and is normally sold over the counter (in the USA) for about 50 cents per tablet.  But you can purchase generic Meclizine at many discount drug stores such as Target, Costco and Walmart.   Just go up to the pharmacy and ask if they sell Meclizine.  The cost will usually be $5 -$6 for 100 chewables (just like Bonine).  

Hank

• Thanks 1