Waffle Cones for Gelato no longer available on Equinox

Orator

What a tragedy! Went for my scoop of Gelato on Equinox last Thursday and was told by the server that they will no longer make the waffle cones. Loved the small of the freshly baking cones. Hope that this is only a "one off" on Equinox and they will be available on SIL TA.

• Thanks 1

I just know someone is going to say that they had to get rid of the waffle cones to pay for the free movies that were reinstituted. 😉

I love that smell too and would miss it (and they taste pretty good too!).

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Making the waffle cones seemed to be a diversion for the poor server that stands there for hours a day with no customers.  This certainly can't be because of cost cutting.  Now if they removed the gelato station entirely I could understand that as a cost cutting measure but then all the Captains Club members would be up in arms about not getting their free scoop!

As I stated on a prior thread I found our recent sailing on Equinox a bit "off" compared to multiple others in the past couple of years.  I wonder if this is just something ship specific.

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Making the waffle cones seemed to be a diversion for the poor server that stands there for hours a day with no customers.  This certainly can't be because of cost cutting.  Now if they removed the gelato station entirely I could understand that as a cost cutting measure but then all the Captains Club members would be up in arms about not getting their free scoop!

As I stated on a prior thread I found our recent sailing on Equinox a bit "off" compared to multiple others in the past couple of years.  I wonder if this is just something ship specific.

My recent Equinox cruise was excellent! The meals served in the MDR were way above the average that I've recently experienced. The Corporate Pastry Chef was onboard and the baked goods were very appealing to both sight and taste. Flavio, The Restaurant Manager and F&B Martin were great! Every cruise is different, even a B2B on the same ship.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Orator said:

My recent Equinox cruise was excellent! The meals served in the MDR were way above the average that I've recently experienced. The Corporate Pastry Chef was onboard and the baked goods were very appealing to both sight and taste. Flavio, The Restaurant Manager and F&B Martin were great! Every cruise is different, even a B2B on the same ship.

I agree.  Was on the same cruise and the previous one.  Some of my best cruises.  The food and service were outstanding.

The waffle cones are just another of LLP's death of a thousand cuts.  At some point, she'll make so many cuts, the product will no longer be appealing.  Perhaps the board will come to its senses prior to that and send her on her way with her golden parachute.  I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't eat gelato or waffle cones but it would be interesting to know how much they save by eliminating them.  It isn't as if they can eliminate a crew position as the do have to have someone there who is serving the waffle-less gelato.

DON

• Like 1

Smell can influence buying. That's why some mall stores use various aromas to lure you in. The elimination of the aroma from baking waffle cones may actually reduce sales by removing sensory suggestion. My guess is that the waffle cones will be back if it reduces sales, Then again Celebrity might just spray a "baking waffle cone" aroma in the area to stimulate melting sales. 

16 minutes ago, Orator said:

Smell can influence buying. That's why some mall stores use various aromas to lure you in. The elimination of the aroma from baking waffle cones may actually reduce sales by removing sensory suggestion. My guess is that the waffle cones will be back if it reduces sales, Then again Celebrity might just spray a "baking waffle cone" aroma in the area to stimulate melting sales. 

So true, in the Culinary world, it's sight, smell, then taste. I wonder how much longer the Gelato bar will last? Seems like every time I go for our free scoops, nobody is buying, only getting their CC scoop.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oneputt18 said:

So true, in the Culinary world, it's sight, smell, then taste. I wonder how much longer the Gelato bar will last? Seems like every time I go for our free scoops, nobody is buying, only getting their CC scoop.

I would have to look on the deck plans to find it.  Celebrity knows how many people go there, and how many buy there.  There can't be many buyers.  I don't feel I miss out if I don't get every free item on the ship.

4 hours ago, Orator said:

I agree that the MDR experience was great and yes my interactions with Flavio and Martin and Diego were great.   Beverage service in general and the Retreat Lounge were the areas that were "off" to me.  I received the wrong drink at least 6 times on a 7 day cruise.  That was after waiting extended times to get service at all. 

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree.  Was on the same cruise and the previous one.  Some of my best cruises.  The food and service were outstanding.

The waffle cones are just another of LLP's death of a thousand cuts.  At some point, she'll make so many cuts, the product will no longer be appealing.  Perhaps the board will come to its senses prior to that and send her on her way with her golden parachute.  I'm not holding my breath.

Watch out for a restaurant or bar to be named throughout the fleet as "Lisa's"

3 hours ago, oneputt18 said:

My experience exactly.

On our recent Reflection cruise I asked the server if they sell much, she told me she actually "sells" 4-5 a day. 

57 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

Watch out for a restaurant or bar to be named throughout the fleet as "Lisa's"

Not a restaurant, but the original Le Grand Bistro Restaurant menu on the Edge had a salad that looked suspiciously like an "LLP salad." We had a little fun discussing it on CC last year - for some reason they changed the name of the salad before sailing. 🙂

Look to the right under salads:

image.thumb.png.d03d825f970ee16d95ff798d4a9daddf.png

This is the new menu - I must say that it was delicious, no matter the name 😉

image.thumb.png.4a06dddd3427ddcd6b2e31eda15e80cb.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Haha 1

We were on the Edge doing a B2B.   We got a free scoop for each cruise.   The gelato was at the same place where the free ice scream was.   There were only 2 varieties of gelato.   We get our free scoop of gelato and also a scoop of ice cream.   

Honestly couldn’t say the the gelato was that much better, and couldn’t tell any difference.

I love the name of the place on Virgin Cruise Line that  has ice cream.  Lick Me Till Ice Cream.  😛😍.   Must be something with it being an adult cruise.   🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅