So , are dogs allowed on cruise ships now ?

loman

2 hours ago, eastender said:

Was on this same cruise and there certainly were at least 3 noticeable dogs. One thing I give the owners credit for is they weren't even trying to pretend they were anything else but their cutie pie pets. No fake vests and just walked them along the promenade like they were at home allowing anyone to pet them. I'm definitely taking my Great Dane next cruise, just hope he don't cover too many people in slobber at formal dinner. 😉

Thank you-lmao

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, renza said:

No not when it is like a state license that is on record. 

Fake driver's license and ID cards have been mass produced for years long before computers.  The average retail or restaurant /bar associate wouldn't be able to tell the difference especially if it's an out of state license. How many people do think would be able to determine a fake service license from a real one?  Also not all states have the same laws. A federal law would have to be in place to enforce any documentation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drock20J said:

On my most recent cruise there was a support dog. When my wife asked if she could pet the dog, the woman simply replied, if we are both standing, "no, he is working." If we are both sitting and he is on the ground, he would love some attention.

Every time I saw said dog, he was always well behaved. I truly believe he was a support animal.

With that said, I am not a fan of people faking it just to get their "beloved" puppy on board. How would they feel if I brought my emotional Squirrel on the ship!? (Side note: I DO NOT HAVE A PET SQUIRREL!)

Furthermore if you have to carry around a zoo, farm or wild animal to keep your sanity you need to be in an institution and not on a cruise ship. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

lamcruzin- your comment may not be political corect- but I agree'! A shame everything one says these days has to be corect- in line- just so nobody get´s offended!

I met a nice young lady around 30 something would be my guess - traveling with a friend- I have no idea wether it was her husband, partner or whatever- anyway- she carried her little donkey all the time- when at a bar it had his own seat- she talked to him as if it was a real person'! If all seats were taken- the little donkey would sit right there on the bar!

Oh did i mention the donkey was of course a plush toy!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

lamcruzin- your comment may not be political corect- but I agree'! A shame everything one says these days has to be corect- in line- just so nobody get´s offended!

I met a nice young lady around 30 something would be my guess - traveling with a friend- I have no idea wether it was her husband, partner or whatever- anyway- she carried her little donkey all the time- when at a bar it had his own seat- she talked to him as if it was a real person'! If all seats were taken- the little donkey would sit right there on the bar!

Oh did i mention the donkey was of course a plush toy!

I see adults carrying plush toys around all of the time and the toy is usually the subject that is being photographed in all of the tourist shots and the object that is taking the trip that's being posted on social media. Last time I checked I still had the right of free speech and will not be shammed by this politically correct fad. I'm offended by people trying to get away with taking   inappropriate  animals in to public places and on public transportation under the guise of being an emotional support animal.  Start charging a fee to these people and see how fast they snap out of their emotional instability. I'm not opposed to passengers taking a domestic animal on a plane as long as they pay the fare or if it's large buy it a seat. I have 3 dogs and they don't travel any place but the vet, groomer, or dog park.   Also I never  took my children to places that were inappropriate for children.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I very much doubt that the cruise line would have the desire (or even the ability) to check "on record" licenses from what could be any of the 50 states.  Also, what about cruises originating in countries other than the U. S.?  What would the cruise line check in those cases?

Nowadays, these things are easily created/ordered online. I seriously doubt that the cruise line would cross check a vet's license number and signature, if they even could.

This is an issue limited to US law only. In Europe you can request and verify all paperwork to check if the passenger has a disability and if the dog is fake or a real trained and needed service dog.

7 hours ago, time4u2go said:

What would you suggest?

I am sure some will find this harsh but ban them all unless the owner is legally blind.

I am really sick of seeing all these pets on planes, in stores, etc.

Not everyone is a pet lover.  

A dog doesn't belong on a cruise ship or in an airplane

• Like 6

well said- lamcruizn- we have three cats- we always joked about takeing them with us on a cruise! LOL! We have good cat sitters- so no problem here. Also we still able to keep our sanity without support of an animal- well we help it along with Martini or two!

I am sure that many people are in need of assistance- but as usual- some people take advantage an cheat - not very nice- and not very considerate!

If people want to take their dogs- there is one ship out there- which happens to be my favorite ship out there- THE QUEEN MARY2- which has canels and their own dog walker. Very nicely done indeed, with a lampost specialy to keep them dogs amused! ( and their owners! )

1 hour ago, Maverick61 said:

I am sure some will find this harsh but ban them all unless the owner is legally blind.

While I agree that people are abusing the situation, there are a number of other disabilities that are served by true service dogs.  Not just the blind.

But I would support some form of documentation/certification for service dogs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maverick61 said:

Life-threatening allergies, diabetes, deafness, and epilepsy are examples of "invisible" disabilities that can be helped by a valid service animal.  You're basically saying that blindness is the only "acceptable" disability for someone to cruise, and all others have to just stay home.

Maybe we should ban all judgmental and ill-informed people from cruising instead?  I'd much rather cruise with a hundred true service animals than with someone who is so intolerant of the disabled, who have a hard enough time just doing "normal" things and are certainly entitled to the occasional vacation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, SRF said:

While I agree that people are abusing the situation, there are a number of other disabilities that are served by true service dogs.  Not just the blind.

But I would support some form of documentation/certification for service dogs.

Once again, you and I are in total agreement.... never thought I'd see the day, but it keeps happening once in a while! 😲

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

The government needs to have people prove that a true service animal is required. Issue them a license and have a national registry so companies can verify if it's a true.

I see both sides of the argument, just want to point out the reasoning behind the law.  To do what you suggest requires money; to set up the bureaucracy needed to handle the licenses, certify the training facilities, and review patient records.  It also forces disabled persons to pay for formal training and certification of their service animal.  Does a disabled person have to pay to have their wheelchair trained and certified, or have it licensed.  A service animal is considered to be no more than any other medical aid to a person, so in fairness there should be no difference in cost.  Additionally, to have the government "approve" whether a person requires a service animal is a violation of that person's privacy rights by essentially publishing their medical records.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

and  eliminate others legitimate   issues?  there are   hearing dogs for deaf people..   seizure and low blood sugar detecting dogs. dogs that act as the hands and legs of paralyzed people.  all of these are true legitimate  service animals that perform a vital and necessary  task for their human.  

11 hours ago, eastender said:

Was on this same cruise and there certainly were at least 3 noticeable dogs. One thing I give the owners credit for is they weren't even trying to pretend they were anything else but their cutie pie pets. No fake vests and just walked them along the promenade like they were at home allowing anyone to pet them. I'm definitely taking my Great Dane next cruise, just hope he don't cover too many people in slobber at formal dinner. 😉

Great Dane!!!!   😯 

Big dog, big poop!

But I know you said that in jest.

• Haha 1

It seems like this comes up every few months now.  I thought Royal Caribbean put a stop to allowing "emotional support" dogs and pet dogs onboard?   Were these people grandfathered in? 

Some of you know Im paraplegic and I own a legit service dog. A female chocolate lab that is nearing 8 years old.  She fetches items I need, picks up things I drop, pulls me in my wheelchair etc and so forth.  I bought her vest off of amazon because that is where I found it to be the cheapest.  There is no such thing as a "fake vest" because a true service dog isnt even required to wear one.  The "certification" paperwork you can get offline isnt even worth the paper its printed on. 

I do not take Allie on cruises.  Im blessed to be her master/handler but I am also blessed to be able to do fine without her, especially when traveling with other people.  Its not fair to coup her up in such tight quarters for a week,  its a hassle to go through all the red tape to take her into ports,  and just like having a child, its nice to have a break from them once in a while.   She enjoys a week with her trainer and about 15 other labs just like her.  It really ticks me off when people abuse the system and take their ill mannered, untrained pets in public places.  It gives us all a black eye.  

54514791_10213572314757856_3158701004552142848_n.jpg

Edited by ryano
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ryano said:

It seems like this comes up every few months now.  I thought Royal Caribbean put a stop to allowing "emotional support" dogs and pet dogs onboard?   Were these people grandfathered in?....  

I believe bookings made before June 1, 2019 can still have emotional support animals.

• Like 1

I had a customer come in to my store and have me laser engrave a dog tag that had Service Dog along with a registration number. I have no clue if it was legit, probably not. He told me he had to have it because they wanted to take their dog on their cruise. People can make the paperwork at home on the computer and have stores like mine make the official looking tags. I'm like every other business, I can't question these people.

15 hours ago, renza said:

A law needs to be enforced  where companies can ask for paperwork on the dog. People do not have to show any proof of anything. And if it is asked the company can get fined. I am sick of all this crap where people need to take their animals everywhere. Stores, restaurants, planes, cruises, anywhere. 

Yes! Documented disability, that MUST be provided during online check in!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryano said:

I do not take Allie on cruises.  Im blessed to be her master/handler but I am also blessed to be able to do fine without her, especially when traveling with other people.  Its not fair to coup her up in such tight quarters for a week,  its a hassle to go through all the red tape to take her into ports,  and just like having a child, its nice to have a break from them once in a while.   She enjoys a week with her trainer and about 15 other labs just like her.

I heartily agree!  I love my dogs so much and worry some about them when I am cruising.  But it is my vacation and I need time away from their antics also.  I would worry more if they were on the cruise with me.

So glad you have your service dog!

10 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

This is an issue limited to US law only. In Europe you can request and verify all paperwork to check if the passenger has a disability and if the dog is fake or a real trained and needed service dog.

Does the cruise line actually request and verify this paperwork in Europe?  What about other regions/countries (Australia, China, etc.)?

Edited by time4u2go