JUST OFF THE ZUIDERDAM--MY COMPLAINT LIST.........

Chuck

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was looking at it from the standpoint of reducing crowding in the Lido -- and restoring something that used to be on offer. (Plus, I have read on these forums that the MDR is not open on ALL sea days, just some -- I can't vouch for the accuracy but there it is.....Reported on CC so it must be true!)

Even if they open only a small section of the MDR, it would help relieve the crowding a bit and those who "self select" to go to the MDR would be happier, while the crowd in the Lido would have more space and fewer crowds.

I haven't been on a Pinnacle class ship but there are not so many options on other ships. Room service is not something I have ever used on ANY ship for ANY meal. Just me, but I don't enjoy eating in my cabin. 

If you book an inside or ocean-view cabin, yes, I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy eating in the cabin.  Once-upon-a-time, we booked only inside cabins.  We still enjoyed room service for a snack, especially late-night.  On our 24-day Med cruise, we often ordered dinner room service in an inside because we were too tired to dress for MDR dinner and wished to avoid the Lido hassle.

If we have a balcony or above, we ask the waiter to place the tray on the desk, where we grab the first course and take it to the balcony.  A disclaimer here:  we've been fortunate enough to book cabins with super large balconies.  All of them have had loungers plus chairs, so we place our plates on the loungers and eat that way.  Most of the tables on the verandah-category are postage stamp size, not large enough to place two drinks on it, much less plates.  I understand why you would be uncomfortable eating in your cabin under these circumstances.

Yes, you're correct that the MDR may be closed on sea days, especially the last one because of the Mariner Luncheon.   The only way to avoid the busy lunch Lido is to go early or late when crowds have thinned considerably.

When I read the subject line of this post, my thoughts were "after enjoying our wonderful time on the Zuiderdam again this year, what could have gone so wrong since we disembarked".  However, after reading the pax list of concerns, there wasn't anything on the list that was the fault of the ship or HAL.  Looking forward to our next HAL adventure.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Umbarger said:

Thank you for your apology.   You just don't realize the independence you lose when you become disabled. 

I don't want someone to get my food for me.  I want to get it myself.  Because I am disabled do I have less rights than you?

When an area is crowded everyone needs to be responsible for themselves and look where they are going.  Backwards or forwards.  

Able bodied people just don't and won't understand until they become disabled themselves.  Be very thankful you are not in a wheelchair or scooter.  You do not know what tomorrow holds.  

Be careful, TriumphGuy,  karma is a heck of a thing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

I think it would be easy to notice a person of about the same height standing directly behind me and invading my space. On the other hand, a scooter is lower, the front usually protrudes at least a foot in front of the operator, and I can  understand how someone could back into it without realizing that it is there.

What then if it was a child standing directly behind him.  They are lower. 

So who's fault is it when you back or walk into someone?  

Handicapped people are easy to blame I guess.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I do agree with the OP that the HAL SBP is a rip off. When the drink cost cap limit was $9 there was at least one sparkling wine at that price as were most bar drinks. When the cap got raised to $11 the price of wine by the glass and many bar drinks went up too. No sparkling wine under $11 either. I saw this in July on our Noordam cruise. I was glad I did not have the SBP. BTW we are booked on a Viking Ocean cruise next year and their drink package only cost us $18 pp/day with a $15 drink cap price, compare this to HAL's $45 per day or more cost.

Just to give some information on the cost of the Viking Ocean drink package  vs the HAL package as I have been on both cruise lines.

Viking includes as part of their fare beer and wine with lunch and dinner. They are liberal with their pours and there is no limit to the amount one can have. You can freely leave the buffet or dining room with a glass to go.  In addition, there will be times, such as returning to the ship at some ports or during scenic cruising when the bow is opened  during the cruise (even one evening at Trivia) , when Viking will be serving adult beverages without cost. Also, there is no rule against bringing your own beverages on board during embarkation or at the various ports. If you need glasses, mixers something else for your BYOB, it will be freely available at the bars on board. The drink package is solely of benefit for those that may want an additional cocktail on board.  Given the price of the drinks on board, two - three drinks a day is the break even point.

HAL drink package serves an entirely different demographic. It is available for those who don't find the happy hours specials to be sufficient for their cocktail needs  or would like something to drink with meals. As the drink package is somewhat new, it also seems to be a program for those cruisers that Carnival Corporation is trying to bring up from a different tier of their corporate cruising umbrella. For those that are used to thinking that having a 24/7 buzz is the only way to cruise, the new package is a way to ease them in.

The pub crawls that are now occurring on some HAL ships also appears to be targeting those cruisers that Carnival Corporation is trying to move along the cruise tier marketing demographic.

7 minutes ago, Umbarger said:

What then if it was a child standing directly behind him.  They are lower. 

So who's fault is it when you back or walk into someone?  

Handicapped people are easy to blame I guess.  

Whoa there -- at no time did I assign blame to anyone. I was simply trying to explain how one might inadvertently back into a scooter. I suppose nobody reading or commenting on this thread has ever accidentally stepped on someone's toes? 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Funny thing about the scooter issue.  I just (last few minutes) noticed another thread here on CC about the same topic and it tells a sad tale.

Hank

I just wish someone would invent a smaller, narrower profile scooter.  Most scooters I see in crowded, public conditions are too bulky for standard pathways, aisles and hallways. 

edited:  come to think of it I have seen smaller versions......

Edited by Mary229

6 hours ago, Umbarger said:

I am 56.  I have to use a scooter as I have muscular dystrophy.  I agree about bad scooter drivers.  They don't drive them often.  They rent one maybe once a year and think they can drive them on the fastest setting with no practice. 

Linda 

I hope I don't get in trouble for this post.  I usually look to see if the scooter is one of the rentals, and if so, try to give them a wide berth.  I always let them move into the elevators first.  I want them to have as much room as possible inside, because it's easier for me to enter once the scooter is in place.   We also let them leave first.

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But HAL only uses the Pinnacle on some sea days (rarely on a port day) and doesn't go out of their way to advertise that the Pinnacle is open.  They could certainly promote this option and attract a few more lunch folks.  I also think HAL could improve their MDR Lunch menu to make it a more attractive option.

Hank

If we're considering the Pinnacle at lunch, we ask the head waiter to check on reservations the night before.

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

. . .  My reward???   Both of us came home with a terrible cold and cough.   Let me just add one thing:  There are many people in this world anymore that have little to no regard for "Other People" and hence they left whatever manners they ever had at home.  But that "fact" is just not true to cruising its everywhere anymore.   One final thing: My wife and I also got very sick of reading the very liberal N Y Times daily.  Maybe HAL should rethink their daily news bulletin and go with USA Today or something else.  

It's hard to stay healthy on a cruise.  We wash our hands as much as possible.   You mentioned 9 EXC.  I think HAL  EXC 3-day cancellation policy is somewhat to blame.  Sick people are much more likely to take the EXC , if they won't refund the money.   I got really sick on a cruise where I was on a bus right next to a lady that was coughing nonstop. 

Caught something horrid on a cruise back in 2017, and had a long flight home.  Back home, it took about 6 weeks to completely get over my cough.

4 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Please do not assume that everyone who is standing on two legs is capable of hiking the stairs.  For years, DH cruised without needing a wheelchair; however, he couldn't climb even one deck's worth of stairs due to COPD.  Those last three cruises we took together, I finally convinced him to rent a wheelchair, which he only used if he was walking from one end of the ship to the other.  

Used to be one of the impatient people, and now, I'm one of the slowpokes.  Karma I guess.

We always tell our cabin steward that we may need help with muster drill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

I hope I don't get in trouble for this post.  I usually look to see if the scooter is one of the rentals, and if so, try to give them a wide berth.  I always let them move into the elevators first.  I want them to have as much room as possible inside, because it's easier for me to enter once the scooter is in place.   We also let them leave first.

If we're considering the Pinnacle at lunch, we ask the head waiter to check on reservations the night before.

It's hard to stay healthy on a cruise.  We wash our hands as much as possible.   You mentioned 9 EXC.  I think HAL  EXC 3-day cancellation policy is somewhat to blame.  Sick people are much more likely to take the EXC , if they won't refund the money.   I got really sick on a cruise where I was on a bus right next to a lady that was coughing nonstop. 

Caught something horrid on a cruise back in 2017, and had a long flight home.  Back home, it took about 6 weeks to completely get over my cough.

Used to be one of the impatient people, and now, I'm one of the slowpokes.  Karma I guess.

We always tell our cabin steward that we may need help with muster drill.

Great Post Knittinggirl.  I feel your pain to a certain degree.  No fun coming home with a horrendous cold.  Which both my wife and I now have. 

7 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Great Post Knittinggirl.  I feel your pain to a certain degree.  No fun coming home with a horrendous cold.  Which both my wife and I now have. 

For us, over 30 days of cruise seems to be the magic number.  We've been on three 30+ day cruise, and gotten sick on each one.  I guess we get sloppy with the hand washing after a while.  My skin gets irritated, and I get sloppy.   With a ship rocking back and forth, it's better to risk an upper respiratory than a broken bone.   Saw a few of those after the Greenland ports and North Atlantic around Iceland.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Whoa there -- at no time did I assign blame to anyone. I was simply trying to explain how one might inadvertently back into a scooter. I suppose nobody reading or commenting on this thread has ever accidentally stepped on someone's toes? 

People are taking issue with blaming the victim.  Most of us would say "terribly sorry!" rather than "can you believe he was upset?"

Hi Chuck!

I am sorry that your cruise wasn't everything you were hoping for. I for one appreciate your honesty in review/responses. 

My husband and I are 4* Mariners (in our 40's) and felt a "similar" kinda way in Alaska. We both work in healthcare and felt the average age creeping up a little. Even off duty officially, I found myself helping fellow cruisers every day. 

That being said, the vacation is always what you make of it. I never let the line cutters get on my nerves. (My husband is pretty intolerant, but that's a whole other story). I have had (intermittent) negative experiences on every cruise line out there including Crystal and Regent.  To each his/her/they/them own. The people who cut in the buffet line probably didn't do so maliciously. The people who need assistive devices are not trying to upset you or your family. They are simply trying to live each day the best they can.  The drink thing....well you and I both know Holland is trying to make a profit and giving away the good stuff for cheap won't help the bottom line.  I will say that we don't buy drink packages.....ever. If you like to drink.... come with us on Crystal sometime.

(But there are a few elders that might school you and beat you to the buffet line! They LIVE aboard for months at a time!)

Anyhow, sorry it didn't work out for you aboard the Z, it's a great ship. Hopefully someday you will come back to Holland! 

PS......we were 1 and done with Alaska after one cruise.....

I hope everyone on the board knows how lucky we are to be able to have these experiences. Let's take it easy on Chuck, he has a right to vent and I support anyone who shares their honesty! 

Best- 

The "lurker" from CA (Nikki)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, racergirl24 said:

Hi Chuck!

I am sorry that your cruise wasn't everything you were hoping for. I for one appreciate your honesty in review/responses. 

My husband and I are 4* Mariners (in our 40's) and felt a "similar" kinda way in Alaska. We both work in healthcare and felt the average age creeping up a little. Even off duty officially, I found myself helping fellow cruisers every day. 

That being said, the vacation is always what you make of it. I never let the line cutters get on my nerves. (My husband is pretty intolerant, but that's a whole other story). I have had (intermittent) negative experiences on every cruise line out there including Crystal and Regent.  To each his/her/they/them own. The people who cut in the buffet line probably didn't do so maliciously. The people who need assistive devices are not trying to upset you or your family. They are simply trying to live each day the best they can.  The drink thing....well you and I both know Holland is trying to make a profit and giving away the good stuff for cheap won't help the bottom line.  I will say that we don't buy drink packages.....ever. If you like to drink.... come with us on Crystal sometime.

(But there are a few elders that might school you and beat you to the buffet line! They LIVE aboard for months at a time!)

Anyhow, sorry it didn't work out for you aboard the Z, it's a great ship. Hopefully someday you will come back to Holland! 

I hope everyone on the board knows how lucky we are to be able to have these experiences. Let's take it easy on Chuck, he has a right to vent and I support anyone who shares their honesty! 

Best- 

About your P.S.  Do you mean you took one Alaska cruise and that will be the last?   If so, we feel the same way.    Out of 7 days we had some nice views from the ship when going through Glacier Bay.   We stood on the outer deck in the cold and  fierce wind to see them at their best.

The other days all we saw from the ship was trees and mountains.  We see those from our window at home so we were not too excited.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I have gotten sick a few times on cruises and twice I ended up with pneumonia and had to have treatment at the hospital on the ship.   First time it cost me $13,000 Cdn. and the second time  $9,000.   Luckily I had insurance to cover it.   

I try to be very careful now on cruise ships with the hand washing etc. and using a paper towel to open washroom doors.   I am also happy to have the servers at the buffet line so I don't have to touch all the serving utensils.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, racergirl24 said:

Hi Chuck!

Best- 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH RACERGIRL24.   I CAN TELL THAT WE WOULD GET ALONG WELL TOGETHOR.  We have cruised twice this year alone with H.A. and "perhaps" its time to try another line.  

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

About your P.S.  Do you mean you took one Alaska cruise and that will be the last?   If so, we feel the same way.    Out of 7 days we had some nice views from the ship when going through Glacier Bay.   We stood on the outer deck in the cold and  fierce wind to see them at their best.

The other days all we saw from the ship was trees and mountains.  We see those from our window at home so we were not too excited.

Yes,

We went on one (Holland) Alaskan cruise in 2007......

No interest in going back. I was 6 feet from an orca on a whale adventure in Juneau..it gets no better than that. 

I find it hilarious that most of my friends, family and "cruise buddies" feel the same way. As a location comparison, we have cruised the Caribbean well over 15 times. Europe 7 times and Mexico 6 times. Trying to convince DH that we need to see Asia. 

For now our next is Mexico on the Eurodam in November. 

😁

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

Bruce;  No I did not know that.  Iam sorry and will not do that again.  You might want to also let Mamaofami, Mexico8, and Krazy Kruizers know that as well.  Their script is super large.  I always assumed people do that for much easier readability for older folks.  Its certainly easier to read a large script than a small script.  So there was no yelling involved on my part.  Sorry again.

I did not use all caps. I used a larger print because I like it better. In no way was I yelling. I have been writing on this board for years and know the rules.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Same here - same year.   Wonder if it was the same cruise?   There were a lot of sick people at the end, even staff/crew.   I couldn't even stay awake on my flight home, did nothing but sleep for 5 days after I got home and two strong rounds of antibiotics.  I wondered if it was because the Zuiderdam had just come out of drydock the day before the cruise and the systems had been shut down for a bit.  It was well into the New Year before I was really feeling better.

10 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Just to give some information on the cost of the Viking Ocean drink package  vs the HAL package as I have been on both cruise lines.

Viking includes as part of their fare beer and wine with lunch and dinner. They are liberal with their pours and there is no limit to the amount one can have. You can freely leave the buffet or dining room with a glass to go.  In addition, there will be times, such as returning to the ship at some ports or during scenic cruising when the bow is opened  during the cruise (even one evening at Trivia) , when Viking will be serving adult beverages without cost. Also, there is no rule against bringing your own beverages on board during embarkation or at the various ports. If you need glasses, mixers something else for your BYOB, it will be freely available at the bars on board. The drink package is solely of benefit for those that may want an additional cocktail on board.  Given the price of the drinks on board, two - three drinks a day is the break even point.

HAL drink package serves an entirely different demographic. It is available for those who don't find the happy hours specials to be sufficient for their cocktail needs  or would like something to drink with meals. As the drink package is somewhat new, it also seems to be a program for those cruisers that Carnival Corporation is trying to bring up from a different tier of their corporate cruising umbrella. For those that are used to thinking that having a 24/7 buzz is the only way to cruise, the new package is a way to ease them in.

The pub crawls that are now occurring on some HAL ships also appears to be targeting those cruisers that Carnival Corporation is trying to move along the cruise tier marketing demographic.

Pub  crawls are  no t new to  HAL.  I have a very clear  memory of  watching participants of a crawl with my  DH.  He is gone over  five  years and we watched months before his passing.

Edited by sail7seas

On 9/28/2019 at 1:40 PM, Chuck said:

Let me start off by saying this is our 3rd H A cruise and we really do love the line.  Our first 2 cruises with them were flawless and we really loved it.  This one "NOT SO MUCH".  Here's my problem with them anymore in no special order: They use to have an actual "Internet Room" with about 15 to 20 computers-No More. They now have 3 computers and the guy in charge of it said "Oh everybody brings their own devices now".  My smartphone does not have that big of a screen so this made me very UNHAPPY.  Plus it was incredibly SLOW and down about 40% of the time.  2. The TV channels were once again "HORRENDOUS".   I think we got 3 news channels and 3 other worthless channels. Quite frustrating on a 13 day cruise.  3. The DRINK PACKAGE---ITS A RIPOFF--HERE ME OUT-- No one told us that the dollar limit is $11 per drink. My wife and myself like Moscato wine and the only Moscato was priced at $12 a glass. I asked the Head Wine Stewart if I could just pay the one dollar difference and he said NO SIR  as he would have to charge me the full $12 for a glass on that.  Iam going to write a nice letter to Orlando on this as its simply RIDICULOUS.  4. We prefer on almost all occasions to have lunch and dinner up on the Lido Deck #9 and just go to the Bistro.  Now this proved to be another frustrating experience. Here's what happens almost all the time. We would get in line and work our way around from the bread to the cheese to the soup and finally the place where they offer the 5 or 6 entrees.  But here's the problem, you are "patiently" waiting in line thinking that your turn is just about upon you when the old geezers just walk up the the 6 entrees and crowd their way into the line and order what they want.  In other words "NO MANNERS and NO ORGANIZATION" from H.A. either. This happened "daily" and I got into a couple of arguments with some of these people "continually crowding" their way in front of the line.  It was quite DISGUSTING.   Like "Pigs at the Trough".     Then about half way thru the cruise it was reported that about 25 people had come down with the "flu".  So the last 4 or 5 days everybody was "hacking, coughing, weezing, and blowing their snoz".  I thought I was going to escape the situation but when we got home friday night I was stuffy and had a really bad cold.   One last thing, my wife and myself decided that we are still "Too Young" for H.A. cruises. We are in the mid 60's and I would just guess that the average age of this cruise was between 75 and 80 years of age.  It was like a "GERIATRIC WOODSTOCK"--I have never seen so many scooters, walkers, canes, poles, and wheel chairs in my life.  We have decided to "Take a Break" and not cruise with H.A. for atleast 3 or 4 years.   Enough is enough.    One last thing, we signed up and took 9 shore excursions with the ship.  Nothing like 30% of the 52 occupants coughing and hacking for your 5 hour tour and then taking 20 minutes or longer to get everybody on and off the bus at every stop.  Just need a break and won't cruise with H.A. for a few years.  We were on the Sept. 15th "Colors of Canada" cruise just for the record.  Beautiful sites and I will say the food was great as it always is.  Service from H.A. is always outstanding. 

Recommendation   you would probably love the Royal class of ships by Princess  .Best buffet of any main cruise line . Very fast internet speeds  ie 

I think a lot of colds and viruses originate not on board ship but on the planes getting to the ship. Your basic run of the mill cold takes 3-4 days for symptoms to appear. Usually colds begins to peak around day 4 or 5 AFTER symptoms appear, then begins to subside. So, do the math, 8-9 days or so until peak and then another 5 days or so until symptoms subside. That's around 14 days thereabouts, so no wonder a lot of people are hacking and snuffling near the end of their cruise. 

Of course, it gets spread around on board too, people who weren't exposed on a flight have a good chance of catching it anyway.

I hate flying to a port but sometimes it can't be avoided. 

Edited by TriumphGuy

10 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

I think a lot of colds and viruses originate not on board ship but on the planes getting to the ship. Your basic run of the mill cold takes 3-4 days for symptoms to appear. Usually colds begins to peak around day 4 or 5 AFTER symptoms appear, then begins to subside. So, do the math, 8-9 days or so until peak and then another 5 days or so until symptoms subside. That's around 14 days thereabouts, so no wonder a lot of people are hacking and snuffling near the end of their cruise. 

Of course, it gets spread around on board too, people who weren't exposed on a flight have a good chance of catching it anyway.

I hate flying to a port but sometimes it can't be avoided. 

I agree that it's easy to catch a cold on a flight. You're so close to so many other people, plus the dry air makes your respiratory system vulnerable. I used to get colds after flying, but now that I use a saline nasal spray to keep my nasal passages moist I haven't caught a "flight cold." Still have caught the cruise cough, though. Interestingly, looking at your numbers, I've never caught the cough on a 7-day cruise, only on longer ones. 

On 9/28/2019 at 3:40 PM, Chuck said:

Let me start off by saying this is our 3rd H A cruise and we really do love the line.  Our first 2 cruises with them were flawless and we really loved it.  This one "NOT SO MUCH".  Here's my problem with them anymore in no special order: They use to have an actual "Internet Room" with about 15 to 20 computers-No More. They now have 3 computers and the guy in charge of it said "Oh everybody brings their own devices now".  My smartphone does not have that big of a screen so this made me very UNHAPPY.  Plus it was incredibly SLOW and down about 40% of the time.  2. The TV channels were once again "HORRENDOUS".   I think we got 3 news channels and 3 other worthless channels. Quite frustrating on a 13 day cruise.  3. The DRINK PACKAGE---ITS A RIPOFF--HERE ME OUT-- No one told us that the dollar limit is $11 per drink. My wife and myself like Moscato wine and the only Moscato was priced at $12 a glass. I asked the Head Wine Stewart if I could just pay the one dollar difference and he said NO SIR  as he would have to charge me the full $12 for a glass on that.  Iam going to write a nice letter to Orlando on this as its simply RIDICULOUS.  4. We prefer on almost all occasions to have lunch and dinner up on the Lido Deck #9 and just go to the Bistro.  Now this proved to be another frustrating experience. Here's what happens almost all the time. We would get in line and work our way around from the bread to the cheese to the soup and finally the place where they offer the 5 or 6 entrees.  But here's the problem, you are "patiently" waiting in line thinking that your turn is just about upon you when the old geezers just walk up the the 6 entrees and crowd their way into the line and order what they want.  In other words "NO MANNERS and NO ORGANIZATION" from H.A. either. This happened "daily" and I got into a couple of arguments with some of these people "continually crowding" their way in front of the line.  It was quite DISGUSTING.   Like "Pigs at the Trough".     Then about half way thru the cruise it was reported that about 25 people had come down with the "flu".  So the last 4 or 5 days everybody was "hacking, coughing, weezing, and blowing their snoz".  I thought I was going to escape the situation but when we got home friday night I was stuffy and had a really bad cold.   One last thing, my wife and myself decided that we are still "Too Young" for H.A. cruises. We are in the mid 60's and I would just guess that the average age of this cruise was between 75 and 80 years of age.  It was like a "GERIATRIC WOODSTOCK"--I have never seen so many scooters, walkers, canes, poles, and wheel chairs in my life.  We have decided to "Take a Break" and not cruise with H.A. for atleast 3 or 4 years.   Enough is enough.    One last thing, we signed up and took 9 shore excursions with the ship.  Nothing like 30% of the 52 occupants coughing and hacking for your 5 hour tour and then taking 20 minutes or longer to get everybody on and off the bus at every stop.  Just need a break and won't cruise with H.A. for a few years.  We were on the Sept. 15th "Colors of Canada" cruise just for the record.  Beautiful sites and I will say the food was great as it always is.  Service from H.A. is always outstanding. 

Regarding the Computers, this is system wide.

20 hours ago, mexico8 said:

I admit I live in the Pacific NW and see trees and mountains every day. But we cruise to Alaska every other year to see the water and no cooking/cleaning/laundry for a week or two and because we can drive to the ports from home. We also don't try to see everything in every port in one day and enjoy the history and hikes/walks. Works great for us, but not for everyone.