Rough Caribbean Sea

bilyclub

We've been literally bouncing around the sea between Miami and the Virgin Islands since Friday. I was wondering how the bigger ships are handling the swells which are up to 18' today. We are already going to be 3 hours late into San Juan.

Not trying to be a jerk but technically, if you are between Miami and the Virgin Islands, you are not in the Caribbean Sea, you are in the Atlantic Ocean.  The north coast of Puerto Rico (San Juan) is also the Atlantic Ocean. In most cases, the Atlantic Ocean will always be rougher than the Caribbean Sea.

Anthem had some motion until today.  Was rough after we left the Caribbean Sea and made our way into the Atlantic.  Upper decks were closed, etc.  Captain announced we had gale force winds across the decks.

He cranked up the speed to get North of it so today we have great conditions.  

Winter is known for wind in the Bahamas and the general region.  More skips of CocoCay in the winter historically, even with the pier now there.  

51 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

We've been literally bouncing around the sea between Miami and the Virgin Islands since Friday. I was wondering how the bigger ships are handling the swells which are up to 18' today. We are already going to be 3 hours late into San Juan.

18' ... are you sailing in the kitty pool?  😉

40' to 45' swells on the Anthem crossing in Nov. 2015.  She rode 'em well.

The Adventure got knocked around pretty well late Thursday and Friday, coming back from the ABC islands.  Friday night, we heard something rolling above us all night long.  By Saturday, the wind and water calmed down some and it was quiet in our cabin.

With 35 mile an hour winds, you are going to get some rocking and rolling. 

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I distinctly remember reading the first-hand posts during that sailing. I'm sure a lot of people were sick (and scared) but it was reassuring to know how much tossing around the ships can take.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Anthem had some motion until today.  Was rough after we left the Caribbean Sea and made our way into the Atlantic.  Upper decks were closed, etc.  Captain announced we had gale force winds across the decks.

He cranked up the speed to get North of it so today we have great conditions.  

Winter is known for wind in the Bahamas and the general region.  More skips of CocoCay in the winter historically, even with the pier now there.  

On my balcony furniture today there are large salt crystals, from the sea spray.  🙂 

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Meow.

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

We were on the Allure, coming back from Europe, the same time and had 20-25 foot waves, not real bad. When the Captain gave his daily update, he said “if you think this is bad, be glad you’re not on the Anthem, their waves are twice as big”.

Rough seas happen. I was on Rhapsody last week and we could not port in Costa Maya Thursday. Rough seas back to Tampa. Upper deck 10 closed often.  Barf bags were out on railings and never felt the need to take one. I slept well. I am disappointed when I can’t feel movement on a ship. 

Edited by coaster
  • Haha 1