Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

33 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I would like to see Charlie become King after Liz, and in a few years after the spectacle of her already planned funeral, for him to abdicate and Big Willie and Kate crowned in a spectacular Coronation .

Charlie will be King, it is written, unless Charlie croaks before QE.😨

Edited by NSWP

On a more serious note -  and keeping in mind the tendency by TV docos to sensationalise - how much more will the cruise lines have to do, to get away from the perceptions such as these  before cruises can start? -  (in the 2 July program on UK’s IVS called – Billion Pound Cruises) .

This deals with how cruise ships ‘contributed’ to coronavirus spread, and the part the industry played during the beginning of the pandemic (resulting in 2700 people infected on cruise ships, of which 74 died).  

See 2 links talking about this doco - below. Two quotes:

‘In the confined area of a ship, we have people moving around, air flows, sewage systems, air conditioning, all in a very confined place. ‘It spreads like wildfire through that cruise-liner.

Because there’s such a high turnover of people, it’s difficult to screen for a virus like this, which is so infectious. ‘We don’t yet know how the coronavirus made its way onto so many cruise ships, but what we do know is the constant interchange of people and densely packed environments really creates a perfect storm.’

https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/billion-pound-cruises-documentary-says-22293192

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/02/billion-pound-cruises-itv-documentary-says-ships-contributed-coronavirus-spread-12937881/

20 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

On a more serious note -  and keeping in mind the tendency by TV docos to sensationalise - how much more will the cruise lines have to do, to get away from the perceptions such as these  before cruises can start? -  (in the 2 July program on UK’s IVS called – Billion Pound Cruises) .

This deals with how cruise ships ‘contributed’ to coronavirus spread, and the part the industry played during the beginning of the pandemic (resulting in 2700 people infected on cruise ships, of which 74 died).  

See 2 links talking about this doco - below. Two quotes:

‘In the confined area of a ship, we have people moving around, air flows, sewage systems, air conditioning, all in a very confined place. ‘It spreads like wildfire through that cruise-liner.

Because there’s such a high turnover of people, it’s difficult to screen for a virus like this, which is so infectious. ‘We don’t yet know how the coronavirus made its way onto so many cruise ships, but what we do know is the constant interchange of people and densely packed environments really creates a perfect storm.’

https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/billion-pound-cruises-documentary-says-22293192

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/02/billion-pound-cruises-itv-documentary-says-ships-contributed-coronavirus-spread-12937881/

The P&O UK people are talking about it on CC.  Wonder if it will air here?  The cruise lines and Travel Agents will not be happy, that's all I can say.  Damage Control.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I would like to see Charlie become King after Liz, and in a few years after the spectacle of her already planned funeral, for him to abdicate and Big Willie and Kate crowned in a spectacular Coronation .

Surely the Queens passing will be the end of the monarchy, at least as far as for downunder. As much respect as she is due for her role over the decades, her offspring hardly inspire any degree of inspiration going forward. The whole question of power due to birthright is surely outdated in the 21st century. Our cultures (Australia & NZ) are based on opportunity for anyone to reach whatever station in life they aspire to on merit, not by birthright. Some seemingly feel a need for subjugation by a privileged monarch, holding their position by who their parents were, but not me.

BOT, I can't see any mainstream cruising locally in the next 6 months.

It implies that they will but in reality:

a) that date could be extended

b) even if the federal ban isn't extended the individual ports have agree to accept cruise ships

c) the cruise lines themselves have to decide when they will start up again and that will be very dependent on getting crews for the ships.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

b) even if the federal ban isn't extended the individual ports have agree to accept cruise ships

c) the cruise lines themselves have to decide when they will start up again and that will be very dependent on getting crews for the ships.

I think B) will be the hold up out of those three,

State Governments and Port authorities holding off until they can be more sure (which is never for total assuredness)

2 hours ago, Cyrix400 said:

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

The P&O UK people are talking about it on CC.  Wonder if it will air here?  The cruise lines and Travel Agents will not be happy, that's all I can say.  Damage Control.

Yes Cruise ships did help a little..... but what about everybody flying from country to country.....

often halfway round the world.... most of our infections came of people flying back into Australia.

Also being all in one area...does help the spread on the ship..

And look at the commision flats in Melbourne.. 3000 people now in Real Lockdown.... can't go out the front door for at least 5 days.

Can't see cruising starting any time this year....

Cheers Don

Just waiting to go back into lockdown again......

26 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Seems a bit deceiving.
I have booked a few cruises with that agent and would book more but I’m a bit disappointed.

My friends asked if the should book some cruises but I told them to wait a bit .

I've booked one or two through them but only last minute cruises where I was paying in full immediately. I don't like their terms and conditions - non-refundable deposits, early payments, and you pay extra for any changes or refares. I can't see the point of using them just for a tiny bit cheaper fare and maybe a token amount of OBC. OK if everything goes smoothly but if anything goes wrong you could lose big time.

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well if it wasn't I doubt humanity would have survived😂

Some of us bat well above our average so it's very fortunate love is somewhat visually impaired.

• Haha 1

We cruised on Cunard Queen Victoria recently and there was a large painting of Camilla, very detailed complete with showing veins on her hands, quite well done.

When all the salacious details about the affair was published she did maintain a dignified silence.

The news about the mandatory lockdown with zero notice in Melbourne was alarming.

The CHO referred to the high rise flats as vertical cruise ships.

Hope this method of public health control is not going to be the nom.

Also hope the infected are isolated from others in those buildings.

With cases rising around the world as is reported it is either the beginning of the end or a new wave.

Amazing viewing websites that show the amount of flights. Cruising will begin again.

Rather take chances cruising than be locked down with no notice like the poor souls in Melbourne at present. Things are occurring that are beyond our imagination.  

6 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Just waiting to go back into lockdown again......

We are back to empty shelves in the toilet paper aisle and buying limit on toilet paper and kitchen paper at Coles, here in Sydney.  Panic stations again because of the Victorian situation....

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

With   the label of a 'floating petri dish' being commonly applied to cruise ships ( starting with the Diamond Princess)  -  and even comparing a group of  high rise buildings with covid infections to  "vertical cruise ships'

' (Chief Medical Officer's  comment on the Melbourne 20 level  towers in  total lock-down for 5 days)  - there will be good reasons that individual ports will be cautious re cruise ships. And the difference could even emerge between different Aust ports.

Genting Cruises have done a lot to convince the authorities that they are serious about their comprehensive/ very specific, and no doubt costly   changes to their cleaning/  hygiene  ship protocols (details on their website). Other cruise lines are still talking in generalities.  Final requirements of US CDC still apparently not clear.

We are living in 'interesting' times (within the meaning of the famous Chinese proverb).

9 hours ago, pully8 said:

We cruised on Cunard Queen Victoria recently and there was a large painting of Camilla, very detailed complete with showing veins on her hands, quite well done.

And they are her most attractive parts.😛

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

We are back to empty shelves in the toilet paper aisle and buying limit on toilet paper and kitchen paper at Coles, here in Sydney.  Panic stations again because of the Victorian situation....

We shopped at our local Coles and Woolworths on Friday, both had full stocks of toilet paper and Kitchen paper towels.

9 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Started Wednesday here by Friday local Coles empty of paper  and Woolworths mostly empty...

Interesting to see what is next... Coles Distribution Centre in Melbourne Closed due to infections stopping refills for supermarkets  

Cheers Don

• Like 1