Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Just now, lyndarra said:

You have just reminded me of when, many years ago, I used to have an after school snack. It was Vegemite and butter between two of my mum's Vita Wheat biscuits. I would squeeze the biscuits together to watch the black and yellow worms emerge from their holes. Mum would go crook on me for eating her Vita Wheats but it was worth for the amusement.

I still do the same thing, except they are my vita wheats! I used to love vegemite on weetbix too. 

Leigh

21 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think the problem when people first try vegemite, they put too much on the bread or toast. Just a scraping is enough. And it needs to be buttered first.

Leigh

Yes 100% right. On some cruises I have 'convinced' some OS passengers to give vegemite a go. They dive in and spread it as thick as, and then say yuk 🙂 It is an acquired taste I guess & you build up the quantity over a lifetime, but a scrape should be the starting point.

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

Yes 100% right. On some cruises I have 'convinced' some OS passengers to give vegemite a go. They dive in and spread it as thick as, and then say yuk 🙂 It is an acquired taste I guess & you build up the quantity over a lifetime, but a scrape should be the starting point.

Overseas visitors couldn't believe we put vegemite on rusks for babies.  They got the taste young.

On my last cruise, on a small ship, I was surprised when they brought out a small jar of Vegemite, when I asked if they had any.  

13 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

You have just reminded me of when, many years ago, I used to have an after school snack. It was Vegemite and butter between two of my mum's Vita Wheat biscuits. I would squeeze the biscuits together to watch the black and yellow worms emerge from their holes. Mum would go crook on me for eating her Vita Wheats but it was worth for the amusement.

I remember doing that but with different biscuits. NZ has small cracker biscuits called Snax which have a ring of small holes in them. Squeeze and lick, squeeze and lick, until no more butter and vegemite oozed out then eat the crackers.🤣

• Like 1

My palate rejects the flavour of Vegemite.  Funnily enough Dick Smith's Ozemite is just edible, but I don't really like that.  I do however love Peanut butter, the Bega Dark Roast peanut butter is very nice.

pb.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My palate rejects the flavour of Vegemite.  Funnily enough Dick Smith's Ozemite is just edible, but I don't really like that.  I do however love Peanut butter, the Bega Dark Roast peanut butter is very nice.

pb.jpg

I always buy the Bega peanut butter, it's the nicest around these days of the supermarket brands. I haven't tried the dark roast variety though. Does it have added salt and sugar? I prefer peanut butter without either of those.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Victoria's slip-up causes another state to close it's borders.

"Tasmania has extended its state of emergency until the end of August due to the coronavirus outbreak and lockdown in Victoria. The emergency declaration was due to end on Thursday, but will now run for about another seven weeks." Source

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I always buy the Bega peanut butter, it's the nicest around these days of the supermarket brands. I haven't tried the dark roast variety though. Does it have added salt and sugar? I prefer peanut butter without either of those.

Just checked my 470g dark roast, does have 6% salt and 3% sugar as ingredients.  Very tasty though, I bought the smooth one, I think they produce a crunchy one too.  All made in Melbourne by Bega Cheese.  Can you believe the factory address?  1 Vegemite Way, probably ye olde Kraft Factory.   Bega Cheese HQ at Bega, down the road from me is putting off 74 workers by Christmas, don't know the full story, probably moving offshore, like Chinese cheese.  😬

Bega now owns Vegemite, as well as trading on the old Kraft peanut butter recipe.

Vegemite Way (formerly Cook Street) is in Port Melbourne.

Often get that tantalising Vegemite spell driving down the Westgate Freeway past the site.

18 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Bega now owns Vegemite, as well as trading on the old Kraft peanut butter recipe.

Vegemite Way (formerly Cook Street) is in Port Melbourne.

Often get that tantalising Vegemite spell driving down the Westgate Freeway past the site.

That explains why I have Bega Simply Nuts Peanut Butter Smooth in my cupboard.  My Vegemite is Kraft Proudly made in Aust since 1923. Fine print is too small for me to read ingredients. 

I went on a primary school tour of Vegemite at the old woolsheds in Brisbane.  I thought it smelt horrible like beer.

Edited by MMDown Under

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Just checked my 470g dark roast, does have 6% salt and 3% sugar as ingredients.  Very tasty though, I bought the smooth one, I think they produce a crunchy one too.  All made in Melbourne by Bega Cheese.  Can you believe the factory address?  1 Vegemite Way, probably ye olde Kraft Factory.   Bega Cheese HQ at Bega, down the road from me is putting off 74 workers by Christmas, don't know the full story, probably moving offshore, like Chinese cheese.  😬

Thanks, I doubt I'll be trying the dark roast then. 

Cruise Critic article received today via email was an interesting read.  European Union released *suggested guidelines* for cruise lines.  Apart from the things expected like masks and screening, they also recommend:

No indoor pools including pools that have an electronic cover like Holland America

Family members only to use spas at one time

Onboard Activites to be separated by age (think this suggestion has already been discussed here).

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

No indoor pools including pools that have an electronic cover like Holland America

Family members only to use spas at one time

That doesn't sound like a cruise I want to be doing. The best pools in Celebrity ships are the solarium ones. I think I've already sailed my last cruise ever. 😩

• Like 1

Some people use the indoor pools and spas as their daily bath, i got an ear infection from them, ships dr said stay away from ships indoor pools and spas, hot tubs etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

That doesn't sound like a cruise I want to be doing. The best pools in Celebrity ships are the solarium ones. I think I've already sailed my last cruise ever. 😩

I'm still holding out hope that some semblance of normal cruising will be possible sometime in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Further news, cheese slice sales are down, so all bega cheese slice production will be from their melbournes facilitycheese.jpg.374444054b93d8ebc1e15ed94e714917.jpg. Bega also produce  some of the Aldi commercial cheeses. Still 600 employed at Bega cheese hq in Bega. 

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm still holding out hope that some semblance of normal cruising will be possible sometime in the future.

We can only pray, but pray hard to the cruise God.

• Like 1

I never use the pools or spas on board when we cruise but I wouldn't want to be on a ship without them (being able to be used anyway) as they take a huge number of people away from the other public areas. Without the pool use, it will feel too crowded indoors.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We can only pray, but pray hard to the cruise God.

Please can you give me his address so one can send a letter......lol

The secret of Vegemite thick toast a heavy hand with the butter, then top with the black stuff

Peanut Butter must be crunchy  we use the No added salt and sugar from sanitarium

Actually have never use a pool or spa on a ship...... 

me in bathers would give people nightmare for years..... lol

Oh and Tasmania now closed until September.... the Spirit is looking doubtful for a holiday...

Right time for a G&T and dream of cruising ( anywhere )

Cheers Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That explains why I have Bega Simply Nuts Peanut Butter Smooth in my cupboard.  My Vegemite is Kraft Proudly made in Aust since 1923. Fine print is too small for me to read ingredients. 

I went on a primary school tour of Vegemite at the old woolsheds in Brisbane.  I thought it smelt horrible like beer.

Smelt like beer because they used discarded brewers yeast. Your vegemite was made by kraft in 1923. Chuck it, bb date gonzo,😖

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Some people use the indoor pools and spas as their daily bath, i got an ear infection from them, ships dr said stay away from ships indoor pools and spas, hot tubs etc.

Bacteria can grow easily in the warm water. If you get into a hot tub, never put your head under water.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Bacteria can grow easily in the warm water. If you get into a hot tub, never put your head under water.

The TV add where the guy is in a spa and finds a used band aid then looks over at the person who just got out and who has a grazed knee 🤮. I have never ever used a spa.  I don't usually swim in their pool unless I'm really hot except for the QM2 therapy pool which is heavenly. But never get my face wet. 

But I like to sit around the pool and it's a case of where something is taken away you really miss it. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pushka said:

The TV add where the guy is in a spa and finds a used band aid then looks over at the person who just got out and who has a grazed knee 🤮. I have never ever used a spa.  I don't usually swim in their pool unless I'm really hot except for the QM2 therapy pool which is heavenly. But never get my face wet. 

But I like to sit around the pool and it's a case of where something is taken away you really miss it. 

Like some on here i have cruised on some British ships, Cunard on qm2 and p&0 uk, arcadia, aurora and oriana. Beware the pools and hot tubs on those, many older Brits still prefer a bath to a shower. Enough said, dont want to end up in the tower of London.

• Haha 1