P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, purplesea said:

It's a nice sunny down this neck of the woods too, but a bit warmer at 7 deg C.

Looks like Carbis Bay will become the focus of the World. Parking in St Ives may be even more difficult. We stayed in the Carbis Bay hotel a couple of years ago. At least World leaders will get a decent breakfast,🤣

On 1/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, kalos said:

We did that sailing a few years back .It was a short cruise and the staff & captain was lovely but that was about it . I didn't like it . No welcome aboard drink ,no sail away party , no party atmosphere at all.

No food offered , even the other passengers never dressed up and barely spoke. I told the Mrs we were overdressed, only me dressed for Black Tie night with my little union jack flag , try as I might nobody would join in with me singing 🎶 We Are Sailing 🎶. You just know when it's just not right for you , maybe some would like it but it's not for me . Never again , Birkenhead ferry crossing  is just not for me :classic_unsure:

Ah, but if you lived in Merseyside and are over 60, you would have a local bus pass. That also gives one way ferry crossings for free, so just need to get off on the other side and pick up a later ferry back.  Cannot complain if a free cruise and there is the commentary and serenade by Gerry of "Ferry Cross the Mersey" 🙂

We have regularly had days when one of us suggests going on a cruise, so off we go.  Only managed to do it once in the last year though sadly.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Looks like Carbis Bay will become the focus of the World. Parking in St Ives may be even more difficult. We stayed in the Carbis Bay hotel a couple of years ago. At least World leaders will get a decent breakfast,🤣

I saw that this morning. I know the area well. I also know the owners of Carbis Bay Hotel which is were the summit is being held, and apparently the world leaders will be staying at Tregenna Castle. I wasn't impressed by the food there at my daughter's wedding. Security in the area will be tight making moving around difficult.

20200314_125549.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tring said:

Ah, but if you lived in Merseyside and are over 60, you would have a local bus pass. That also gives one way ferry crossings for free, so just need to get off on the other side and pick up a later ferry back.  Cannot complain if a free cruise and there is the commentary and serenade by Gerry of "Ferry Cross the Mersey" 🙂

We have regularly had days when one of us suggests going on a cruise, so off we go.  Only managed to do it once in the last year though sadly.

Merseyside is very generous with its over 60's travel scheme and I don't feel quite so old when I realise that my younger sister has a 'bus' pass but living in Derbyshire I am not old enough to have mine yet!(I have to wait until i am retirement age which will be 66

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

Merseyside is very generous with its over 60's travel scheme and I don't feel quite so old when I realise that my younger sister has a 'bus' pass but living in Derbyshire I am not old enough to have mine yet!(I have to wait until i am retirement age which will be 66

I was just old enough to retire at 60 so got the national pass, but yes those who are over 60 still get a local pass until they qualify for the national one.  Merseyside always had bus passes and we have paid local taxes to support that, so will be very miffed if at any stage we loose our passes.  My husband's parents only had a limited amount of bus tokens before the national scheme, but taxes (rates) were much lower down in Hampshire.  I support the higher rates as I think people gain a lot from things like that.  My parents (quite a lot older than me) certainly did and they were not well off, but the passes kept them more independent and active.  My dad had a busy working life as a joiner, but life a lot different in the past.  It is easy to forget how lucky we are now and how much life has changed within a generation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Just heard that an ex-colleague in the Fire Service of Covid aged 48 and leaves a wife and 2 kids very shocking and really makes you think.

Sorry to hear that Tom.

Very sad news indeed and please pass on our condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Just heard that an ex-colleague in the Fire Service of Covid aged 48 and leaves a wife and 2 kids very shocking and really makes you think.

Very sad majortom, just goes to show you can be very fit and young and it still can kill you , feel very sad for his wife and two children left behind 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ann141 said:

One of Boris's good deeds as London Mayor was to introduce the 60 plus Oyster card.It covers the whole of the Greater London transport system including peak hours.It saved me 60 quid a week the last 6 months  travelling to the city before I retired.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Covid showing again what a terrible virus it is. So sad for everyone affected

Michelle

• Like 1

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

10 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Very sad majortom, just goes to show you can be very fit and young and it still can kill you , feel very sad for his wife and two children left behind 

Very sad news, my heart goes out to the family left behind, I agree with Purdy's sentiments  ..

Stay safe and take care  everyone . 

• Like 2

We have 5.c today and dry as yet ,just a tiny amount of snow left on the garden which should melt away today . Quiz of the day is will the dustbin men make it here today for last Fridays collection ?:classic_unsure:

I note from the posts on here some people are getting bored and looking for things to do. I got our old photo albums out and spent hours looking back at how our lives used to be back then . I really like the photos of Mrs Kalos when I very first met her . Did I ever tell you about when I first met her ? Thinking back to when I met Mrs kalos I thought I'd take my stamp collection to impress her on our first date She said " philately will get you nowhere." I then thought I know what I can do next , I will phone my Granddaughter up and she seemed very happy and said how well she has been doing in school, so no worries there .Kids are far smarter than we were in our school days ...My Granddaughter told me she saw a deer on the way to school. Amazing  How did she  know it was going to school ?... :classic_smile:

Reading for a while also passed some time ,I just read a book  of “1000 Things To Do Before You Die”...I was quite surprised that “Yelling  for help” wasn’t one of them.:classic_unsure:  They say that when you die that your whole life flashes before you. I hope it isn't true because there's no way I want to go through all this covid  crap  again !

Hope you all have a nice day and I will leave you with a strange thought on ..Metamorphosis !

Did you ever stop to think  when you clean out your Vacuum cleaner .... You yourself have now become a Vacuum cleaner ! :classic_wacko::classic_ohmy::classic_unsure: Take Care and stay safe :classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

So very sorry to hear that Major Tom. It's tragic. Unfortunately this is the reality of the dark times we are in.  Thoughts and prayers to you and your colleague's family.  Best wishes.  Jane

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We have 5.c today and dry as yet ,just a tiny amount of snow left on the garden which should melt away today . Quiz of the day is will the dustbin men make it here today for last Fridays collection ?:classic_unsure:

I note from the posts on here some people are getting bored and looking for things to do. I got our old photo albums out and spent hours looking back at how our lives used to be back then . I really like the photos of Mrs Kalos when I very first met her . Did I ever tell you about when I first met her ? Thinking back to when I met Mrs kalos I thought I'd take my stamp collection to impress her on our first date She said " philately will get you nowhere." I then thought I know what I can do next , I will phone my Granddaughter up and she seemed very happy and said how well she has been doing in school, so no worries there .Kids are far smarter than we were in our school days ...My Granddaughter told me she saw a deer on the way to school. Amazing  How did she  know it was going to school ?... :classic_smile:

Reading for a while also passed some time ,I just read a book  of “1000 Things To Do Before You Die”...I was quite surprised that “Yelling  for help” wasn’t one of them.:classic_unsure:  They say that when you die that your whole life flashes before you. I hope it isn't true because there's no way I want to go through all this covid  crap  again !

Hope you all have a nice day and I will leave you with a strange thought on ..Metamorphosis !

Did you ever stop to think  when you clean out your Vacuum cleaner .... You yourself have now become a Vacuum cleaner ! :classic_wacko::classic_ohmy::classic_unsure: Take Care and stay safe :classic_smile:

Kalos, I was feeling quite p*ssed off before I read that and I also read it to my husband, so now we're both laughing.  Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Such sad news. No-one is safe from this virus, regardless of age or health. I feel so sorry for his family.

We must all take great care and not become too complacent. 

Avril

• Like 4

Just burst out laughing over your vacuum joke Kalos.  It took a minute for me to fall in.. I then related it to my other half and his blank tortured expression  for a couple of minutes made me laugh even more!!! 

The following made me laugh out loud too.

I thought... who on earth thinks these things up... then I thought "Oh I know, its probably our Kalos"🤣

137075394_10159008621874641_6010922719995154314_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Bored! I so wish.

I have just 9.5 working days to file numerous tax returns and on top of that I have Furlough claims to submit too. The perfect storm. 

Going sick or catching Covid isn't an option!

With the Tax returns could you not phone them up and tell them you are an atheist making you  tax exempt, you are a non-prophet organisation.:classic_unsure: Failing that change your name to Google or Amazon!:classic_smile: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2