P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 1/17/2021 at 9:18 PM, majortom10 said:

Just heard that an ex-colleague in the Fire Service of Covid aged 48 and leaves a wife and 2 kids very shocking and really makes you think.

I’m only just catching up on this thread, so sorry to hear this, no age at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nicki-k said:

If only we could book holidays out of school holidays, retirement can't come quickly enough.

Understand your sentiments exactly. We’ve all been there! My advice would be to save as hard as you can for retirement so that you can make the decision when it suits you. As Kalos says, you never know what the future holds and I didn’t expect my wife to end up in a wheelchair, but thankfully I saved very hard into pensions all through my working life so was able to retire comfortably at just 54. Sadly, most people don’t start taking pensions seriously until it’s too late to make a big enough difference, as the critical factor is the time that you need for the investments to grow which, over decades, is substantial. 

• Like 7

Morning all, dull here and has been raining though it has stopped now. Wednesday is my day off but our isolation isn’t finished until tomorrow. Hoping I can go for a short walk then. The new computer system at work was a disaster, we’ve had to go back to the old one for a moment - nightmare!

I saw the vaccinations at Salisbury cathedral, what a lovely space to have it! They were queuing in the cloisters under cover, genius!

• Like 3

Just been catching up on everyone's posts, as yesterday I kept getting kicked off. Perhaps someone is trying to tell me something!!

Belated birthday greetings Sarah. I hope you had a good day.

Happy birthday to Esprit too - enjoy your day.

Dull and drizzly (heavy rain has stopped for now) but still windy although that has dropped a bit too.  

I am totally confused with what day it is - was sure yesterday was Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Understand your sentiments exactly. We’ve all been there! My advice would be to save as hard as you can for retirement so that you can make the decision when it suits you. As Kalos says, you never know what the future holds and I didn’t expect my wife to end up in a wheelchair, but thankfully I saved very hard into pensions all through my working life so was able to retire comfortably at just 54. Sadly, most people don’t start taking pensions seriously until it’s too late to make a big enough difference, as the critical factor is the time that you need for the investments to grow which, over decades, is substantial. 

Excellent advice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Very true Selbourne, you never know what is round the corner. I enjoyed my job, but stopping work early was the best decision I ever made. By do doing, we are by no means as rich as we would have been, but have had experiences and enjoyed ourselves far more than if I had carried on working into my 60s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I hope I'm not the only one that has no desire whatsoever to retire from work. I love my job even though I ***** and moan about the shed load of work I have to do every January!

I enjoyed my work as well, at least I seem to think I did, but having taken the early bath at 56 over 20 years ago, I can honestly say I have no regrets at all, retirement is ten times better.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Very true Selbourne, you never know what is round the corner. I enjoyed my job, but stopping work early was the best decision I ever made. By do doing, we are by no means as rich as we would have been, but have had experiences and enjoyed ourselves far more than if I had carried on working into my 60s.

I absolutely agree with that. I have secondary progressive MS, never in a million years did I think I would be retired on ill health at 50 years old. Luckily I was able to claim my pensions early but they are nothing in comparison to what I earned. However money isn’t everything and you just deal with it and manage. I feel for all the youngsters who are losing out on their education and have a worrying future ahead of them.

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle

• Like 7

I took early retirement from my full time job at 50 due mainly to the privatisation of the power industry and a offer to good to refuse.

I then did a job share until I was 65 which gave me plenty of time off to travel, we just had to cover for each other.

Now at almost 75  have cut back on travel but are pleased that we did so much while young enough to really enjoy it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I absolutely agree with that. I have secondary progressive MS, never in a million years did I think I would be retired on ill health at 50 years old. Luckily I was able to claim my pensions early but they are nothing in comparison to what I earned. However money isn’t everything and you just deal with it and manage. I feel for all the youngsters who are losing out on their education and have a worrying future ahead of them.

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle

Sorry to hear about your illness Michelle.

Take care and stay safe.

Best regards.

Graham.

17 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Wowzz.......................I booked it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done - the crunch will come when final payment is due! I reckon there is only a 50:50 chance of the cruise going ahead, and if the odds remain the same in July, we will probably cancel.

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I enjoyed my work as well, at least I seem to think I did, but having taken the early bath at 56 over 20 years ago, I can honestly say I have no regrets at all, retirement is ten times better.

Really glad it worked out well for you terrierjohn. Maybe when I get older my attitude will change or unforeseen health issues force me to take a different path. For now I get a buzz helping my clients.

24 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I took early retirement from my full time job at 50 due mainly to the privatisation of the power industry and a offer to good to refuse.

I then did a job share until I was 65 which gave me plenty of time off to travel, we just had to cover for each other.

Now at almost 75  have cut back on travel but are pleased that we did so much while young enough to really enjoy it.

I agree about the travelling. We haven't done a seriously long haul flight for 3 years, and I doubt we will be doing many more in the future. Perhaps one next year (all things being well) to celebrate a special wedding anniversary,  but if we do, we will be turning left when we get on the aircraft! 

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

I hope I'm not the only one that has no desire whatsoever to retire from work. I love my job even though I ***** and moan about the shed load of work I have to do every January!

I’m in no hurry to retire either. I am employed but work from home and can work hours to suit me which is lovely after over 30 years teaching. Very flexible conditions so can take time off with only 3 wks notice. Having said that, I’ve only had one weekend off since last March but I love what I do! And I might do the odd day of supply once I feel that it’s safe to do so.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear about your illness Michelle.

Take care and stay safe.

Best regards.

Graham.

Thanks Graham. It is a life changing illness but it’s a case of accepting it and finding different ways of doing things. There are a lot of people in a worse position both mentally/physically/ financially than me so I am thankful for the position I am in with a supportive family and lovely friends. And now I have found this forum I have more friends to talk to.

Michelle

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Thanks Graham. It is a life changing illness but it’s a case of accepting it and finding different ways of doing things. There are a lot of people in a worse position both mentally/physically/ financially than me so I am thankful for the position I am in with a supportive family and lovely friends. And now I have found this forum I have more friends to talk to.

Michelle

My wife is in the same situation, however she is maybe a little more fortunate,in that she has me to look after her! 😄

• Like 2

It's absolutely horrendous here in South Devon.  Strong gale and very heavy rain.  I'm not going out and the dog says no as well.

I have no intention of retiring.  Have a lovely job and on a recent telephone survey about retirement I think I rather annoyed the interviewer as it was all about planning for retirement!!

• Like 2