P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sad day for Pauline Graham, I know you will look after her. 

We have just been to the cemetery, its a nice day down here. 

Be careful where you eat your Maccies, they are fining people down here for sitting in their cars eating. Apparently, although you can buy take away food, you have to take it home. 

Take care

Andy 

Thanks Andy.

The beach car park entrance is 4.95 miles from our front door so within 5 miles.

The car park is always busy.

I have my sales file and samples in the car and have several calls nearby if stopped.

TBH I think I have only seen a couple of police cars this year.

Take care mate hope you are both well.

Graham.

16138277942484711480186467055713.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Pouring with rain here and windy. Not too cold though about 11oC.  

Been out and had my jab, AZ, at the local surgery.  Well organised but busy resulting with everyone queueing in the rain. In through the fire door, into the corridor with doctor's consulting rooms for your vaccination and out again through the main door, making it one way traffic. 

Home with a cup of coffee and a catch up on here. (If my laptop will behave - it keeps shutting down!)

Good news you have had your vaccine,shame about the rain.

Hopefully you have no side effects.

Graham.

Hi, is 5 miles what they class as local? Am only asking as were were talking about this the other day as we are close to Biddulph Grange Gardens  but weren't sure if this classes as local or not. 

We thought not, so stick to Tunstall Park (all of half a mile) as the rules seem woolly

🙂

You’re right - one person’s local appears to be another’s forbidden delight.  I looked it up and the gov.uk site says words to the effect of “stay in your village, town or your part of a city”.  This has prevented us going about 7 miles to the coast, which we would love, other than one occasion where we had legitimate reason.  Other people could legitimately claim they need to drive much further than that for, eg, essential shopping.

It’s a dilemma, as hard and fast rules would no doubt throw up idiotic anomalies; similarly looser guidelines mean there will always be a few who will stretch things far too far.

Our rationale, as the car sits in the garage, day after day, is that by not using the roads we are reducing the risk all round and thus doing a tiny bit towards keeping unnecessary pressure off the hospitals.  Only tiny for each individual but if every did it ...  It feels like road traffic is pretty much “normal”.  Lots of cars on the road - they can’t all be going to & from work, food shopping or caring.

Maybe we’ll get something more solid on Monday - but it still won’t be easy 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

2 people from Southampton were fine in Lee on the Solent for driving down for chips at the seaside, sitting in their car... 

I suppose there is 2 sides to the argument... 

Andy 

If you are allowed to visit a takeaway why should it matter where it is or where you eat it, provided you have no further social contact with someone outside your household?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

You’re right - one person’s local appears to be another’s forbidden delight.  I looked it up and the gov.uk site says words to the effect of “stay in your village, town or your part of a city”.  This has prevented us going about 7 miles to the coast, which we would love, other than one occasion where we had legitimate reason.  Other people could legitimately claim they need to drive much further than that for, eg, essential shopping.

It’s a dilemma, as hard and fast rules would no doubt throw up idiotic anomalies; similarly looser guidelines mean there will always be a few who will stretch things far too far.

Our rationale, as the car sits in the garage, day after day, is that by not using the roads we are reducing the risk all round and thus doing a tiny bit towards keeping unnecessary pressure off the hospitals.  Only tiny for each individual but if every did it ...  It feels like road traffic is pretty much “normal”.  Lots of cars on the road - they can’t all be going to & from work, food shopping or caring.

Maybe we’ll get something more solid on Monday - but it still won’t be easy 

Same here, that's how we thought of it. We could drive less than 2 mile to a park 

but until the infection figures fall and we can walk up and down our own garden 

that's what we will do if it helps the NHS out . Another week or so and we should be 

able to visit the park again .

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you are allowed to visit a takeaway why should it matter where it is or where you eat it, provided you have no further social contact with someone outside your household?

Interpretation of the rules John and over zealous officials. 

They are clearing the car parks on Portsdown hill today. 

You can buy a burger from the van but not eat it close by. 

Andy 

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Interpretation of the rules John and over zealous officials. 

They are clearing the car parks on Portsdown hill today. 

You can buy a burger from the van but not eat it close by. 

Andy 

Jobsworth officials, you can bet that warden  Boris would be far more lenient in his interpretation of his own rules.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Jobsworth officials, you can bet that warden  Boris would be far more lenient in his interpretation of his own rules.

Mmmm?   That depends who you are ,and how far you are travelling and where to .

I have just Googled  the mileage from Highgrove to King Edward VII's hospital .:classic_unsure:

20 minutes ago, kalos said:

Same here, that's how we thought of it. We could drive less than 2 mile to a park 

but until the infection figures fall and we can walk up and down our own garden 

that's what we will do if it helps the NHS out . Another week or so and we should be 

able to visit the park again .

We are fortunate to be able to walk to our local park and have discovered alley ways (and even a small park) since the lockdown that we hadn't realised existed even though we have lived here for nearly 40 years!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, is 5 miles what they class as local? Am only asking as were were talking about this the other day as we are close to Biddulph Grange Gardens  but weren't sure if this classes as local or not. 

We thought not, so stick to Tunstall Park (all of half a mile) as the rules seem woolly

🙂

The Government has not set an actual distance as what is "local" that is what is causing all the confusion and I think it is down to how vigorous different police forces are enforcing it. We travelled 6 miles to go to building society in Stafford but dare not go the extra 4-5 miles for a walk up Cannock Chase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I suppose which I can understand that the further you travel it increases the chance of an accident or car breaking down and then that will involve others. Having ex-colleagues who are annoyed when they are going out to road traffic collisions and finding out that some are travelling too far or unnecessary reasons so therefore putting them at risk.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I suppose which I can understand that the further you travel it increases the chance of an accident or car breaking down and then that will involve others. Having ex-colleagues who are annoyed when they are going out to road traffic collisions and finding out that some are travelling too far or unnecessary reasons so therefore putting them at risk.

An acquaintance of mine 'went for a drive', not too far, parked up to make a call, spent too long chatting, running his battery low and had to wait 6 hours for Green Flag to come out... 

Silly boy... 

Andy 

• Like 4

Just to say that when we go to the park we walk there via a local 'green area',  around it twice and then walk home. It takes about an hour in total ----  have tried it enough times to know now that it is our daily exercise spot 😉

21 hours ago, Presto2 said:

🙂

Biddulph Grange is about as far away as Trentham Gardens but in the opposite direction. I suspect that the crowds that have been reported at Trentham recently include some from our neck of the woods. Presumably Biddulph Grange is still operating on a pre booking system which makes it a safer venue than Trentham anyway. Mind you, although the gardens at Biddulph Grange are nice, we have plenty of parks and open green space pretty much on our doorstep.

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Biddulph Grange is about as far away as Trentham Gardens but in the opposite direction. I suspect that the crowds that have been reported at Trentham recently include some from our neck of the woods. Presumably Biddulph Grange is still operating on a pre booking system which makes it a safer venue than Trentham anyway. Mind you, although the gardens at Biddulph Grange are nice, we have plenty of parks and open green space pretty much on our doorstep.

We've just got back from the park. Lots of people there today so came back up via the greenaway. We are fortunate to have so many green areas around us. Was just thinking of a change of scenery to be honest but will stick with the park. Back to work next week anyway so less chance for walking. 

A nice day today 11.c and Mrs K decided to have a hour in the garden pottering 

about and putting old garden waste in our Garden waste bin as they are due to

start collecting again next month . I had some time outside with her and must 

admit it felt good to be out whilst the finer weather was here.

I thought today would also be a good time to top the car fuel up as the last time 

was Aug/September and the range was reading 85 miles left ,so thought now was

the time to pop another £30 into it .My main reason was to check the tyre pressures

as well because with the car not getting used and the bad weather, they have not been

checked for a while . The car agreed with us ,as no sooner did we set off and the tyre 

pressure warning light came on . All is well now they have been checked .

Back onto Cruise Critics and looking how things have changed over the year .

Last February I was reading about folk congratulating each other on booking a cruise .

Six months later  I was reading  about folk congratulating each other on getting a refund.

A year on  and it's about folk congratulating each other on getting the vaccine .

Hopefully moving on we have gone full circle and not only will I read about folks who 

are booking a cruise but will actually get to go on them this year , I hope so.:classic_smile:

• Like 15

5 hours ago, kalos said:

A nice day today 11.c and Mrs K decided to have a hour in the garden pottering 

about and putting old garden waste in our Garden waste bin as they are due to

start collecting again next month . I had some time outside with her and must 

admit it felt good to be out whilst the finer weather was here.

I thought today would also be a good time to top the car fuel up as the last time 

was Aug/September and the range was reading 85 miles left ,so thought now was

the time to pop another £30 into it .My main reason was to check the tyre pressures

as well because with the car not getting used and the bad weather, they have not been

checked for a while . The car agreed with us ,as no sooner did we set off and the tyre 

pressure warning light came on . All is well now they have been checked .

Back onto Cruise Critics and looking how things have changed over the year .

Last February I was reading about folk congratulating each other on booking a cruise .

Six months later  I was reading  about folk congratulating each other on getting a refund.

A year on  and it's about folk congratulating each other on getting the vaccine .

Hopefully moving on we have gone full circle and not only will I read about folks who 

are booking a cruise but will actually get to go on them this year , I hope so.:classic_smile:

Hopefully we will still have the friendships we have made on here and are determined to meet up some how 🙂

• Like 8

Well here in Worcestershire the promised Athens -high temperatures didn't materialise, in fact, I don't think it stopped raining at all yesterday, and has rained on and off all day today.

Although I tend to binge-read your posts at daft times of the night,  I haven't been posting for a while due to working 12 hour days, taking funeral services, writing services and talking to families on phone or zoom.  But, I am very lucky in that I have a job I love and  I can't imagine ever not doing it.   

We have a few days away booked for the end of March (caravan in Wales), but really can't see that happening... maybe we will find out tomorrow.

Got my vaccination yesterday,  very slick operation, and  no side effects at all.  Am so glad,  I know it doesn't take effect for three weeks,(ish),  but I will be in socially-distanced contact with at least 240 people this week, so I do feel a little more protected.  

Just enjoying a treat-day glass of wine before another busy week.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hopefully we will still have the friendships we have made on here and are determined to meet up some how 🙂

I whole-heartedly agree with you Presto. We should never lose the friends that have kept us all going this last year, and it would be lovely to meet up with them to say hello and thank you in person.

Avril

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I whole-heartedly agree with you Presto. We should never lose the friends that have kept us all going this last year, and it would be lovely to meet up with them to say hello and thank you in person.

Avril

I agree.  Lot's of you seem to come down my way!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I completely agree but we are widely spread throughout the country and we would never manage to get us all on the same cruise. Roger would have furthest to travel I guess (or we could all fly over to USA and surprise him). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1