P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 hours ago, ann141 said:

We are also considering Scotland and there is a Saga break which centres around Aberdeen which visits Balmoral and the Cairngorms.We would travel by train and stop for a couple of nights in Dundee so that we could visit St Andrews. We are also considering a break in Inverness but just waiting until we find out when we are likely to be allowed to travel.We also want to visit Weymouth and Anglesey this year (and possibly Suffolk )so quite a lot to fit in as well as our October cruise which hopefully will go ahead

Thanks for the reply.  This year is certainly focusing our minds on what we are missing in the UK - we also have a few things in mind, well perhaps my mind, but as I am the usual holiday arranger that is to be expected.  I just look into loads of stuff and make suggestions, some are accepted others not, but acceptance is always more likely of good weather can be anticipated, so thoughts on the North East and Scotland has been a bit more of a challenge 🙂

We already have a couple of days booked in Telford for mid June (with vouchers from 2 days pre cruise in Southampton that did not happen), so have agreed to add three days in the Premier Inn Oswestry on the way home, which is extremely well priced.  We have quite taken to the Premier's Advance rates which allow cancellation up to 28 days prior and still a change of arrival date until midday on arrival date, though only at same hotel so need to be careful how many re bookings we may need to do if problems arise.  We also have (mostly Premier Inn) bookings which cover two weeks mid September, for warmer parts of the UK (Stratford upon Avon, Hampshire and Somerset) so we have agreed to leave it at that for now, but can either add to or change that to the north East/Scotland in July/August if we want to, but will book when we know how the weather is this summer.  I still fancy the northern regions and now have an idea of staying in Berwick on Tweed for a number of days, with a stop off in the Pennines on the way and then probably on to Edinburgh, where we may be able to meet up with a friend of Allan's and see The Royal Yacht.  As we like to break our  journeys, could also add another stop in a scenic location of southern Scotland.  Agreement will be dependent upon weather, though the thought of treating ourselves to some nice hotels will help as opposed to my normal instinct to keep costs down.

Now that is better, I had been getting some serious withdrawal symptoms as I have not planned a holiday for a while.  Good luck with your plans and hope to see you late Oct on Sky Princess, though we may opt out of that if cruises still looking iffy when balance due.

Barbara 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tring said:

Thanks for the reply.  This year is certainly focusing our minds on what we are missing in the UK - we also have a few things in mind, well perhaps my mind, but as I am the usual holiday arranger that is to be expected.  I just look into loads of stuff and make suggestions, some are accepted others not, but acceptance is always more likely of good weather can be anticipated, so thoughts on the North East and Scotland has been a bit more of a challenge 🙂

We already have a couple of days booked in Telford for mid June (with vouchers from 2 days pre cruise in Southampton that did not happen), so have agreed to add three days in the Premier Inn Oswestry on the way home, which is extremely well priced.  We have quite taken to the Premier's Advance rates which allow cancellation up to 28 days prior and still a change of arrival date until midday on arrival date, though only at same hotel so need to be careful how many re bookings we may need to do if problems arise.  We also have (mostly Premier Inn) bookings which cover two weeks mid September, for warmer parts of the UK (Stratford upon Avon, Hampshire and Somerset) so we have agreed to leave it at that for now, but can either add to or change that to the north East/Scotland in July/August if we want to, but will book when we know how the weather is this summer.  I still fancy the northern regions and now have an idea of staying in Berwick on Tweed for a number of days, with a stop off in the Pennines on the way and then probably on to Edinburgh, where we may be able to meet up with a friend of Allan's and see The Royal Yacht.  As we like to break our  journeys, could also add another stop in a scenic location of southern Scotland.  Agreement will be dependent upon weather, though the thought of treating ourselves to some nice hotels will help as opposed to my normal instinct to keep costs down.

Now that is better, I had been getting some serious withdrawal symptoms as I have not planned a holiday for a while.  Good luck with your plans and hope to see you late Oct on Sky Princess, though we may opt out of that if cruises still looking iffy when balance due.

Barbara 

I too get withdrawal symptoms from not planning holidays! I have made some suggestions to hubby- Weymouth, Aberdeenshire and Anglesey but nothing booked yet.We like Premier Inns too and I am thinking of (not mentioned it to Mark yet as he gets overwhelmed with too many plans)staying for a few nights at the Premier Inn in Kendal for the Lakes end of April.We will be staying at my sisters house in Southport for a week to help out with my Mum whilst she and her husband (hopefully) go to Inverness for a week and I am thinking of visiting Kendal after that.We had a lovely week in Berwick a few years ago and if you go in June and visit the Farne Islands you will see the puffins.We had good weather when we went .I am hoping the cruise in October goes ahead as it will be great to have some warm sunshine.Hopefully see you onboard 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

You would be sat on Space Cruiser Ar-Via  a very long time In space so remember to take a small medical kit with you you . In outer space you don't get hemorrhoids  due to zero gravity but I have been told that assteroids  are quite common ,so make sure you take the right cream with you :classic_wink:
I shall not be booking ,apart from the fantastic view from your balcony ,I bet it's a boring cruise with no atmosphere at all . :classic_unsure: 🚀🚀 🌙

It's worth it just to get your "farmers" sorted.A plumbers nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Good morning all. While reading through the posts I noticed that some people have been using Premier Inns as a place to stay in UK. Hubby uses a mobility scooter so wondering what thoughts are for suitability.Hopefully next year we will be back cruising!

I am sure you will have no problem, as far as I am aware most large chain hotels have accessible rooms. I have never had a problem as a disabled person myself 

Michelle

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Good morning all. While reading through the posts I noticed that some people have been using Premier Inns as a place to stay in UK. Hubby uses a mobility scooter so wondering what thoughts are for suitability.Hopefully next year we will be back cruising!

You would need to check with individual Hotels, some have no lifts or air conditioning and on site parking, check out the website.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Most but not all have lifts so best to ask for ground floor.

There are doors in the corridors where he might need someone to open them.

They are great value especially if you book a couple of months in advance.

We have got several at £29 a night.

Rooms have Kettles with tea and coffee satchets.

A lot have baths with showers over the bath.

Some have showers only so worth phoning the individual hotel in advance.

Graham.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Pauline uses a wheelchair and we have used both Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express, and they are both very accessible.

• Like 3

11°C and the ground is wet this morning.

It is Paulines late dad's birthday as well as her late grandfather's birthday.

We will go to the cemetery to tend her grandparents grave and her baby brothers grave then we will pop along to McDonald's drive through then along to the beach for exercise.

Take care friends.

Graham.

• Like 9

We’ve had rain all morning so far.  Hoping for a break so we can at least get out and get round the block

I have a Côte at Home delivery any minute and a visit from our son, who bubbles with us, to eat it later.  First time we’ve seen him since Xmas.  He’ll be the third person in the house in 2 weeks though, as we had Dave the electrician fitting a new thermostat towards the end of the cold snap, and the gas engineer doing the boiler service earlier in the week!  I think they are the only visitors this year though.  What a crazy time this is

It’s 3 weeks since our Pfizer jabs, so the latest study reckons we’re 85% protected.  Sounds good!  I have a sneaky pessimism over whether the powers that be can resist the urge to open things “too quickly” but will keep my fingers crossed that everything continues in the right direction

• Like 3

Pouring with rain here and windy. Not too cold though about 11oC.  

Been out and had my jab, AZ, at the local surgery.  Well organised but busy resulting with everyone queueing in the rain. In through the fire door, into the corridor with doctor's consulting rooms for your vaccination and out again through the main door, making it one way traffic. 

Home with a cup of coffee and a catch up on here. (If my laptop will behave - it keeps shutting down!)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

11°C and the ground is wet this morning.

It is Paulines late dad's birthday as well as her late grandfather's birthday.

We will go to the cemetery to tend her grandparents grave and her baby brothers grave then we will pop along to McDonald's drive through then along to the beach for exercise.

Take care friends.

Graham.

Sad day for Pauline Graham, I know you will look after her. 

We have just been to the cemetery, its a nice day down here. 

Be careful where you eat your Maccies, they are fining people down here for sitting in their cars eating. Apparently, although you can buy take away food, you have to take it home. 

Take care

Andy 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Be careful where you eat your Maccies, they are fining people down here for sitting in their cars eating. Apparently, although you can buy take away food, you have to take it home. 

Take care

Andy 

Early in this lockdown The Ole Lady met up with a friend and had a takeout coffee on a bench on the seafront.  Cops told them they couldn't congregate and had to move on!  A bit over zealous imho.  But fining people for sitting and eating in their car?  Crazee as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe the cops have been set targets on how many fines a week they issue.  Happened a few years ago with traffic wardens in London, ended up with lots of appeals overturning tickets.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Early in this lockdown The Ole Lady met up with a friend and had a takeout coffee on a bench on the seafront.  Cops told them they couldn't congregate and had to move on!  A bit over zealous imho.  But fining people for sitting and eating in their car?  Crazee as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe the cops have been set targets on how many fines a week they issue.  Happened a few years ago with traffic wardens in London, ended up with lots of appeals overturning tickets.

2 people from Southampton were fine in Lee on the Solent for driving down for chips at the seaside, sitting in their car... 

I suppose there is 2 sides to the argument... 

Andy