P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

27 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My childhood holidays were spent in Cliftonville, and the Walpole Bay Hotel always seemed very posh. 

Margate is now one of our regular day trip destinations, and I keep meaning to go to the Walpole Bay for lunch, but haven’t got round to it yet 

I was just being flippant.Sounds like we made a wise choice.Well our friends did really because it was the nearest to them.All these Victorian hotels everywhere look the same from the outside.Looking forward to it,cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

Vamps - hope you’re not too stiff.  Be thankful you’re young and will mend quickly

We did 11,500 steps which equates to 5.66 miles, apparently.  It was very quiet.  The roads, on the other hand, are crazy busy, with added blues and two at regular intervals 🚑 

This is what happens to a small dog after 5.66 human miles but lots more if you run off-lead

B1E75EB8-32FE-4AED-B9E1-D67267E1E782.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Well I have woken up extremely sore. 

rode my new motorbike yesterday after not doing any riding for 8 years. Have forgotten most of how to ride, took a corner too tight and came straight off broke the indicator. 

with all this Portugal talk everywhere does make me wonder what the point in the vaccines when most other countries are getting on with it. P*** up in a brewery comes to mind. 

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I agree with your other point.

Edited by grapau27

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Big day today- the annual bin washing day has arrived, which, as regular readers will know, was one of the highlights of last year!

This year, the event will be bigger better, and brasher than ever!

The event will be officially opened by a short speech from Mr Wilfred. Gary Barlow will, fortunately,  only sing two songs, "Under Pressure"  and "I've Bin Missing You", and a bottle of Hirondelle will be smashed on the pressure washer by Slack Alice, who has been specially let out on day release.

After the ceremony, commemorative Yorkshire Puddings with Onion Gravy will be available,  to be washed down with the contents of a Party Seven that I have found in the back of the shed, assuming I am able to open the can with a hammer and screw driver.

Some loyal readers will have received invites to attend the event  virtually. I am pleased that no one has complained  about being left off the invitation list. However due to unexpected technical difficulties (my extension cable is not long enough) the live feed cannot now take place - I will, however, be sending out postcards to the select few, so that will be something to look forward to.

If wet, the event will take place in the church hall, which, unfortunately last night was placed in the Purple zone by Tony Hancock,  due to a local rise in the incidence of athletes foot, so those attending will be issued with special socks and talcum powder, and will have to self isolate for 3 days, wearing carpet slippers, on their return home.

I think that covers everything - off to liaise with the police about establishing a local exclusion zone. 

Great post Wowzz - really funny!  Jane.x

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

We're off to Uckfield in Sussex to stay with our old neighbours in Italy,they sold up last year.Got their 3 bottles of 95% alcool which we could have blown the Chunnell up with,lol.After we're off to Sevenoaks to stay with our daughter for 2 nights.Cramming all this in then if the frogs let us thru France,we're off to Italy.I can do Calais to Como in 10hrs so 1 test should suffice for France,Swiss and Italy.Not looking hopeful though.

All sounds very nice Brian and I hope you have a lovely time with your daughter and doing a lot of catching up , have a good weekend 😎

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Well I have woken up extremely sore. 

rode my new motorbike yesterday after not doing any riding for 8 years. Have forgotten most of how to ride, took a corner too tight and came straight off broke the indicator. 

with all this Portugal talk everywhere does make me wonder what the point in the vaccines when most other countries are getting on with it. P*** up in a brewery comes to mind. 

Ouch sorry to hear about your accident and not too many bruises, and not too much damage done to your new motorbike 🥴

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Ceremony about to begin. Looks like the police cordon has worked !

IMG_20210604_134156613.jpg

Brilliant wowzz we need reminding how this went last year , you’re have the neighbours queuing up for theirs next 😂😂

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

Cruising other than around the UK seems more unlikely than ever after today's travel announcement. 

Portugal has virtually the same incidence of cases as the UK ( and fewer than places like Blackburn), and there is no evidence that any new strains in Portugal are prevalent either. The decision is illogical, and Shapps blustered,  and huffed and puffed when trying to justify it. 

Plus, the decision to move from green to amber in just 5 days is contrary to previous government pronouncements that countries would be placed on a watch list, prior to any change in status.

I can't see how cruise lines can operate if they have only 5 days notice of a change in status of a country's rating. 

Anyone confident of European cruises in September?  I'm much more pessimistic about our Princess cruise in October than I was this time last week.

I think I agree wowzz, I am now doubting our October cruise will go ahead, with calls in Spain, France and Italy, there will need to be a major change in the traffic light rules for it to be possible.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ann141 said:

My test was done as part of research and states it is not a measure of vaccine effectiveness but just to test if the blood contained covid antibodies either as a result of previous infection or vaccine. The 3 categories were INVALID, CLEARLY DETECTABLE and NOT CLEARLY DETECTABLE.Invalid was if the blood test didnt work with the sample provided.(Hopefully Harry if a nurse or doctor took your blood it should be ok whereas I got my hubby to ***** my finger!)Clearly detectable states that antibodies were detected and not clear means the antibodies that they were looking for in the research test were not present but that you might have different antibodies that the  test was not designed for  or that you  might have been exposed to covid but at the time of blood collection your body was not mounting a clear antibody response or you had not been exposed to covid. There was nothing to state how many antibodies you had etc.I had to wait over 8 weeks for my results (I thought they may have got lost in the post!)but hopefully you should get yours soon Harry.I hope you get a positive result because although I will still be careful at least I know I have some protection whereas previously I felt I had to act as though I wasn't protected at all so its definatly helped reassure me.

Test result today, Ann - no antibodies, unfortunately.  Full shielding continues until some other form of vaccine is developed.  This one hasn't had any effect at all, it seems.

Harry

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Test result today, Ann - no antibodies, unfortunately.  Full shielding continues until some other form of vaccine is developed.  This one hasn't had any effect at all, it seems.

Harry

So sorry to hear this.Hopefully with the trials taking place it won't be too long before a more suitable vaccine is found.Take care

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Gutted for you Harry take care ,fingers crossed they come up with something in the near future.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Oh no, that’s very disappointing, sorry to hear this

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

We're off to Uckfield in Sussex to stay with our old neighbours in Italy,they sold up last year.Got their 3 bottles of 95% alcool which we could have blown the Chunnell up with,lol.After we're off to Sevenoaks to stay with our daughter for 2 nights.Cramming all this in then if the frogs let us thru France,we're off to Italy.I can do Calais to Como in 10hrs so 1 test should suffice for France,Swiss and Italy.Not looking hopeful though.

I hope you make bro, you must be having withdrawal symptoms by now.

Sis

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Oh Harry, that's terrible news.  Take care and stay safe.

Avril

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Sorry to hear this Harry , let’s hope that they cop up with something else for you very soon and you can get on with your lives 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

So sorry Harry.  Jane.x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Oh no Harry I don’t understand it. So sad for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Really sorry to hear this Harry.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Sorry to hear that Harry 😔 let’s hope they develop a suitable vaccine very soon

• Like 1

Rather than reply to each post, may I just thank everyone for their good wishes - it's very kind of you all.  

Just by way of reassurance, it's just a setback.  Nothing much changes, and we can carry on as before, seeing friends in the garden at a suitable distance, or walking round the village. Going inside or being close up with people isn't a good idea, but we can avoid that quite easily.

My wife is incredibly understanding (known her since school days and married after we'd finished further education) and never, ever complains. Just remains incredibly supportive - so long as the Seasalt and Gudrun Sjoden stuff keeps turning up at the door!

Changing the subject away from this: fantastic weekend's weather ahead - who's planning a barbecue?  🙂

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Not really a fan of BBQ's but to anyone having one the weather looks really good, so enjoy :classic_smile:

It's probably the company as much as the BBQ itself,  Kalos, and the wine, but cooking and eating outside makes a nice change. 

Provided you steer well clear of all those cheap burgers and sausages the supermarkets push! And food that's not properly cooked. Our daughter always claims to be vegetarian unless she knows and trusts the cook!

• Like 4

I love the smell of the  barbecue but haven't had a barbecue since my heart attack 18 month's ago because I cut out all the saturated meat. 

I just had my first roast beef Sunday dinner since my HA when we were in the Lake District last week.

Pauline loves powerhosing our back patios and is still outside doing it now.

My hip arthritis has been painful today but Pauline prefers to do all the powerhosing herself as long as I get everything set up beforehand so I have been sitting watching instead.

• Like 6