Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Missed it! I'll have to catch the repeat next week.

One the other hand, what's with all the picnics on the beach all of a sudden? View is nice but who wants sand in their lunch? 

I don't get the thing with beach picnics either. Maybe analogous to booking a cruise on a billion dollar cruise ship and then sharing food with flies at Labadee. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't have experience with either of those tires.  I can tell you that I've got Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires on my Mercedes SUV and Micheline has Goodyear Eagle F1 tires on her Range Rover.  Both sets came with the car and we haven't had any problems with either.  Both provide a good ride and good performance.  I recently put new Pirelli's on my Mercedes after 34,000+ miles.  I had some limited experience in the snow with the Pirelli's in Cincinnati over the holidays and they performed fine.  I'd be a happy camper if I never had to drive in snow again.

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

If you really want to fall deep into a rabbit hole, tear your hair out and over-analyze everything, head over to TireRack dot com & read some of the professional and user reviews. You'll learn more about tire technology, different rubber compounds and tread patterns that you'll ever care to know.

As I have the "twin" cousin of your Highlander, I replaced the Goodyear tires (don't remember which model) that it came with after only 29,000 miles. My mechanic recommended Cooper Discover SRX tires for a couple of reasons: price, made in USA by and American company and it's just as good as Continental, Michelin, etc. 

Now, I've owned others cars that had Continental & Michelin tires and I wouldn't say Cooper is "just as good", but for the price, it's pretty close to sway me. It does most things well. Quiet, comfortable, good rain/snow traction. The only real complaint is that despite the 65,000 tread life warranty, they are looking pretty worn at 45,000 miles and hopefully  I can get another 5K miles out of them before my next inspection.  Also, they make a lot more tire noise as they've worn down but I think that's true for most tires. Micheline is still the "gold standard" for me but it does come with a hefty price (generally speaking).

TireRack gives the Coopers a 8.4 out of 10 rating while the Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive is 8.8 out of 10.  It gives a full breakdown of the ratings.

BTW, TireRack is still showing Micheline Latitude Tour HP (7.5 out of 10) as still available.

Thanks for the input.   Yes, I have been to Tire Rack, and they have tons of information, enough to overwhelm you.  Depending on what sites you visit, you can get 10 different answers for what the best tire may be.  The Tour HP is what replaced the Tour, but it doesn’t seem to rate as well.

For the past 10-15 years, I have stayed with Michelin because they have been good.  The set I have has 45k, and I could probably get another 10k from them, but would like a little more tread for winter driving.  

No real amount of snow in our forecast for the next 10 days, so I have time to do more research.  

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 9:30 AM, Jimbo said:

So if I'm following this right, best beach bed in Breezy are the extreme other end away from the Coco Beach Club and best to be nearer to where the jet skis leave from?

South Beach's beach beds are behind the loungers, so that isn't good and Chill's Beach Bed's are to the extreme left of Chills beach......I don't like the looks of Chills because they have that rim of Rocks blocking the view out to sea and only have that little gap you can look through.

We were there last week and cousins had a cabana and there were no loungers in front of them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

dry.jpg.880b570992beb1abbe8d21c710787099.jpg

Oh that is cruel, I was taken in.  I am doing Dry January.  I have seen that there are dry versions of all sorts of drinks but not this sort!   

I am not finding it hard this year.  Having retired I do not come home from work and feel that I need to reward myself with a glass of wine.  Ten days in I am thinking ‘really???’.  Retirement is better for work stress than alcohol. 

Not sure how Friday will go.  I am finally doing my in-person graduation at Sheffield University.  Not sure if i will feel cheated when the rest of the family are drinking.  I may well have a glass of Prosecco  - and then keep going till 2nd Feb.  

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Oh that is cruel, I was taken in.  I am doing Dry January.  I have seen that there are dry versions of all sorts of drinks but not this sort!   

I am not finding it hard this year.  Having retired I do not come home from work and feel that I need to reward myself with a glass of wine.  Ten days in I am thinking ‘really???’.  Retirement is better for work stress than alcohol. 

Not sure how Friday will go.  I am finally doing my in-person graduation at Sheffield University.  Not sure if i will feel cheated when the rest of the family are drinking.  I may well have a glass of Prosecco  - and then keep going till 2nd Feb.  

I never do a dry January but I haven't had an alcoholic drink since New years Eve.

Well done for your in person graduation at Sheffield university and you deserve a glass of prosecco with your family.

Unless we are on a cruise or out for a meal I never drink.

Graham.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

It's been absolutely waterlogged around here.  I've pulled my old portable dehumidifiers out of storage and have set them up around the house.  We've got flooding out at the back of the property well away fro the house.  There is no worry it could ever reach the house though, the back of the property is substantially lower.  

image.png.e04b2ef95095826ed969a6af4e844dac.png

I have been telling everyone I feel like I'm back living in Vancouver.  I have never seen this much rain since moving here.  We've got 10 more days of rain on the horizon...

1505330489_ScreenShot2023-01-09at5_42_02PM.thumb.png.aa3cf61d1912a2d1b4cf5766477804fa.png

They've opened the Millerton Lake resevoir yesterday and dumped 12,200 AF of water into the waterways that will flow strait out into the ocean.   All the homeless folks living in the dried up canal had to make for higher ground.

I can't wait for the summertime when they tell us we don't have enough water to irrigate farmland.  

So of course... just to taunt me a little more... This happened last night.

IMG_0441.thumb.jpeg.787c926ec2a8cf0e06c83d3c37e8bf02.jpeg

Picture is before my SIL and his hillbilly truck and 12,000 lbs winch got me out.  

• Like 20

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I never do a dry January but I haven't had an alcoholic drink since New years Eve.

Well done for your in person graduation at Sheffield university and you deserve a glass of prosecco with your family.

Unless we are on a cruise or out for a meal I never drink.

Graham.

I can't do a dry January as I have to be in shape for my upcoming cruise but I have been known to go dry for Lent. 

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Picture is before my SIL and his hillbilly truck and 12,000 lbs winch got me out.  

4 wheel drive doesn't even help in a mess like that.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

4 wheel drive doesn't even help in a mess like that.

No it doesn't, that Powerstroke engine is so heavy and there was no weight in back so no amount of effort was going to get me out last night. There was lots of cussing in the rain last night.  It didn't help.  SIL worked an overnight shift at the prison so he didn't get home until this morning and that is when we got unstuck.  I felt like I was in a country song.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

The set I have has 45k, and I could probably get another 10k from them, but would like a little more tread for winter driving.  

No real amount of snow in our forecast for the next 10 days, so I have time to do more research.  

Apparently 45-50K out of tires is about their life expectancy no matter the  tread life warranty.   Let me know what you find out as I'll be in the market for tires next month when my car is up for inspection as it might not pass. And like you, I keep looking at the snow forecast and hoping for dry weather or just plain rain.

I did some brief research yesterday on TireRack. The Michelin CrossClimate  look interesting. Usually tires with uni-directional treads are only seen on high performance sports cars. Not sure I've ever seen an SUV with them.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 2:35 PM, grapau27 said:

To Dani @dani negreanu.

Screenshot_20230106_193338.jpg

Happy Anniversary to you both. ❤️

On 1/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, Jimbo said:

Are the above prices per person or per bed? Website a little confusing.

Price will be per unit, not per person. 

On 1/7/2023 at 12:29 PM, Luckynana said:

@DaniDanielleHappy Birthday Marietta!!!!!

Have the best day!🎉💖🎂💖🎉

A few days late but happy belated Birthday. 

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So would I. 😕

I could do without snow too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

No it doesn't, that Powerstroke engine is so heavy and there was no weight in back so no amount of effort was going to get me out last night. There was lots of cussing in the rain last night.  It didn't help.  SIL worked an overnight shift at the prison so he didn't get home until this morning and that is when we got unstuck.  I felt like I was in a country song.

Gotta love Corb Lund. 🇨🇦 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Apparently 45-50K out of tires is about their life expectancy no matter the  tread life warranty.   Let me know what you find out as I'll be in the market for tires next month when my car is up for inspection as it might not pass. And like you, I keep looking at the snow forecast and hoping for dry weather or just plain rain.

I did some brief research yesterday on TireRack. The Michelin CrossClimate  look interesting. Usually tires with uni-directional treads are only seen on high performance sports cars. Not sure I've ever seen an SUV with them.

My car is a 2010 Ford Fusion and I have bought new tires 3 or 4 times , I have 35,000 miles on this car . I buy nothing but Michelin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

When I was growing up, we never went to the beach without two boards, burlap bags, a shovel and some stout rope. 
The soft sand farthest from the water gobbled up all four tires. 
Everybody came equipped, and everybody pitched in. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

As anyone who's ever been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows you step on the gas one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, George C said:

My car is a 2010 Ford Fusion and I have bought new tires 3 or 4 times , I have 35,000 miles on this car . I buy nothing but Michelin. 

My wife's car is a 2012 Fusion, 18000 miles, had to replace tires due to dry rot. Stuck with Michelins. 

• Like 1