No Sail Order extended - 100 days

Pushka

2 hours ago, danv3 said:

I was trying to determine when this updated notice would be published in the Federal Register (starting the 100 days), but it looks like CDC has already requested that it be withdrawn from publication:

Editorial Note: The agency has requested this document be withdrawn from publication after placement on public inspection. The document will remain on file through close of business on April 13, 2020. A copy of the agency's withdrawal letter is available for inspection at the Office of the Federal Register.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/10/2020-07677/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

This might mean CDC is further revising it.  

The order is indeed being revised.  The earlier poster is correct about the March start date.  The CDC wants it clear the order starts on X date.

Could cruising start elsewhere in say July?  How?  Where?

Absolutely no possibility that the Far East, Australia or Europe will be in a position to resume cruising till fall at the earliest.  No with Covid19 popping up in China again who knows.

As for cancelling - really simple reason to do it a month at a time - keeping the customer service calls to an almost manageable level.  Lower the curve is the goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, RickT said:

If you read the bulletin, 100 days is the worst case scenario.  Ultimately, no one knows when cruise ships will be allowed to sail U.S. waters again.

Worst case only for this one. 

Just as with the previous one, it can also be extended as well. So not really worst case.

CLIA's plan should include ponying up to install multiple Abbott test machines on board and in each embarkation terminal.  IMHO it would instill confidence to know my fellow passengers (and me) had been tested immediately prior to boarding.  The test is processed in minutes.  Perhaps a bit of inconvenience during the boarding process would go along way toward mitigating the risk once underway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

The order is indeed being revised.  The earlier poster is correct about the March start date.  The CDC wants it clear the order starts on X date.

Could cruising start elsewhere in say July?  How?  Where?

Absolutely no possibility that the Far East, Australia or Europe will be in a position to resume cruising till fall at the earliest.  No with Covid19 popping up in China again who knows.

As for cancelling - really simple reason to do it a month at a time - keeping the customer service calls to an almost manageable level.  Lower the curve is the goal.

Agree.

My SWAG is that the cruise lines know that they will not be sailing again until, at the earliest, the fall, but will roll out the cancellations gradually.  Gut feeling is Alaska, crossings, Europe are all toast for the summer.  The options that would not trigger the 100 day cessation are not going to be easy to accomplish, even they even decide to do them at all to allow less than 100 days to resumption.

• Thanks 1

I wonder what cruising will look like right after they are allowed to cruise again?  Will it be a full set of social distancing measures?  I also wonder what airlines travel will look like.

When cruising will start again seems like it is a fluid situation likely to change.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

This order was no surprise to cruise lines.  These things are negotiated with CDC before they're announced.  The order demands a plan in 7 days.  Could it be CLIA already has the framework set, with a schedule to beat the 100 day deadline already devised?

35 minutes ago, marieps said:

CLIA's plan should include ponying up to install multiple Abbott test machines on board and in each embarkation terminal.  IMHO it would instill confidence to know my fellow passengers (and me) had been tested immediately prior to boarding.  The test is processed in minutes.  Perhaps a bit of inconvenience during the boarding process would go along way toward mitigating the risk once underway. 

That should definitely be in place in order to restore some confidence again in cruising with a whole lot of other rules and regulations. There are still ships stuck out there. People are still suffering.

All of us need many reassurances in place, not just financial ones but the more important ones, like how do we  stay healthy while on and after a cruise. 

21 minutes ago, marieps said:

This order was no surprise to cruise lines.  These things are negotiated with CDC before they're announced.  The order demands a plan in 7 days.  Could it be CLIA already has the framework set, with a schedule to beat the 100 day deadline already devised?

Perhaps.

No way we would sail in less than 100 days even with the provisions in place.  And with the evacuation provisio, would only be sailing to boring places.

• Like 1

Just now, jonthomas said:

That should definitely be in place in order to restore some confidence again in cruising with a whole lot of other rules and regulations. There are still ships stuck out there. People are still suffering.

All of us need many reassurances in place, not just financial ones but the more important ones, like how do we  stay healthy while on and after a cruise. 

And where will the cruise be docking?  And where will disembarkation take place, and when?

Way too many unknowns for us.   Been there, done that, not doing it again anytime soon.

14 hours ago, RickT said:

If you read the bulletin, 100 days is the worst case scenario.  Ultimately, no one knows when cruise ships will be allowed to sail U.S. waters again.

Yes --- worst case until they extend it again.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clojacks said:

I don’t mean to presume what anyone else’s finances look like, but having less money than I did before this happened, won’t kill me, but COVID-19 has the potential to.

I’m not sure many understand the effect this is having on many sectors of the economy.  

On another note, folks die, every day. We have a vaccine for the Flu..it kills many every year..yeah, I think this is overblown...call me a skeptic of the panic..every Governor trying to outdo the other on restrictions. The projections of death keep going down.  But I doubt it will ever be gone for good, just like the Flu...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m not sure many understand the effect this is having on many sectors of the economy.  

On another note, folks die, every day. We have a vaccine for the Flu..it kills many every year..yeah, I think this is overblown...call me a skeptic of the panic..every Governor trying to outdo the other on restrictions. The projections of death keep going down.  But I doubt it will ever be gone for good, just like the Flu...

Oh boy....I think I'll just duck and watch out for the incoming fire....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

"Overblown"?  Not for the passengers on the Ruby Princess.  The article's headline says it all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/people-just-didnt-care-how-the-ruby-princess-cruise-ship-became-a-death-trap/2020/04/10/058ab45e-7a33-11ea-a311-adb1344719a9_story.html

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'm going to put the over - under on this post being removed at 12 and a 1/2 minutes from now!

Over blown? Holy cow!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, clojacks said:

I'm going to put the over - under on this post being removed at 12 and a 1/2 minutes from now!

Over blown? Holy cow!

When it passes FluA deaths in the US...let me know.  Keep in mind, many places are attributing any death to Covoid. 

18K Covoid deaths in the US so far...

This is from the CDC on the Flu this season

the CDC estimates between 39 million and 55 million flu illnesses, at least 400,000 hospitalizations, and as many as 63,000 deaths from flu

This is factual...not BS, remove it they want.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

When it passes FluA deaths in the US...let me know.  Keep in mind, many places are attributing any death to Covoid. 

the CDC estimates between 39 million and 55 million flu illnesses, at least 400,000 hospitalizations, and as many as 63,000 deaths from flu

That 18000 deaths is in just over one month Since the 1st one. Would you care to extrapolate that out over a year for me?

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

COVID is the daily leading cause of death in the US currently.  Beat out heart disease i think sometime last week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

The death projections are diminishing because of the actions that are being taken by those governors 'trying to outdo' each other. 

I was an IT manager for a number of years.  When the Y2K bug issue came along, I and my newly tripled staff spent almost a year fixing the numerous system bugs that we found on many different systems that ran the company.  After many, many hours and a LOT of expense, we successfully mitigated every single bug in every single system. Then we heard from people with no knowledge of the issues that were fixed and efforts needed to fix them, say, 'See?  The world didn't come to the end like everyone said it would.  Boy was that scare overblown!"  

The fact was then as it is now, the reaction to these situations are NOT overblown.  It only appears that way to some. 

Edited by 1SGCruiser
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

What you need to understand is many countries have gone into lockdown, without that the death rate from Covid 19 would have been huge, no country goes into lockdown for the flu, it does it’s worst with everyone to pick from. On top of that the death rate from those that catch Covid 19 is far higher than the flu. The “overblown” line is probably one of the most dangerous mindsets anyone could have, if world leaders had gone  down that line we would have seen health services absolutely destroyed very, very quickly.

During a March 11 hearing of the House Oversight and Reform Committee on coronavirus preparedness, Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, put it plainly: "The seasonal flu that we deal with every year has a mortality of 0.1%,” he told the congressional panel, whereas coronavirus is "10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu," per STAT news.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I respectfully disagree- it makes perfect sense.  All cruise travel is unnecessary (literally speaking, of course not for some of us🙂).  Sometimes plane travel is necessary.  Few if any people are traveling on planes for vacations.  They are traveling on planes for more important reasons like being with loved ones who need them, perhaps traveling to needed jobs in other states, and things of that nature.  A completely different scenario.  

Seriously??? I would say on any given flight more than 50% of the passengers are going on Vacation. Take for instance the flights my wife and I took to Hawaii a few years back I wonder how many on that packed 737 were travelling on "business" so your exception for airlines is unfounded. People fly for any reason and this thing traveled around the world by air not cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really don't want to get into all of the fallacies here, but the most important one is this:

The ONLY reason that the COVID-19 estimates in the US are NOT in the 200,000 + range is because of  "every Governor trying to outdo the other on restrictions" (your direct quote).

How did you manage to cruise during the previous flu seasons that you cite when you were locked down for the full 5-6 months of the season?  Oh, that's right.  You weren't.  

Elementary science I am afraid.

• Like 4

Until there is universal testing, we are all guessing.  And as far as cruising in Europe, how does one propose to do that without flying there.  Luftansa has grounded all their huge planes permanently since the company feels airplane traffic will decrease significantly.  We live in New York in the epicenter of this and right now on Long Island which is the newest hot spot.  American currently has just three departures daily.  Delta has grounded 95% of their fleet.  We are a long, long, way from getting out of this.  Just my take on this.  Had our transatlantic cruise scheduled for April 17 cancelled.  We asked for refund.  So far nothing not even an acknowledgement once we indicated we wanted our money back.  We have been in our home for over 5 weeks now.  Once things resume it will be like 9/11, not carefree and lots of checking of people coming in and going out of the country.  Don't mean to be a downer,  just realistic and pragmatic.  We have cruised many lines and over 30 to different places.  We enjoyed them all but are readjusting any and all expectations.  Stay well everyone and stay home.

• Like 1