No Sail Order extended - 100 days

Pushka

10 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Until the CDC puts the same restrictions on airlines which IMO are far worse than the Cruise industry I will not put a lot of weight on what they say. But that would be inconvenient so they will never do it. Sorry venting, a little but it is so ridiculous how they are singling out the cruise lines. 

Agree..fine to be on a plane, but not on a cruise, makes no sense.  

If we don’t open the economy up somewhat, it won’t matter to most people. Furloughed-laid people can’t travel much of anywhere.  I’m much more worried about the state of my finances going forward than I am catching the virus.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, danv3 said:

I was trying to determine when this updated notice would be published in the Federal Register (starting the 100 days), but it looks like CDC has already requested that it be withdrawn from publication:

Editorial Note: The agency has requested this document be withdrawn from publication after placement on public inspection. The document will remain on file through close of business on April 13, 2020. A copy of the agency's withdrawal letter is available for inspection at the Office of the Federal Register.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/10/2020-07677/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

This might mean CDC is further revising it.  

Very interesting.  Thank you for this.

23 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Until the CDC puts the same restrictions on airlines which IMO are far worse than the Cruise industry I will not put a lot of weight on what they say. But that would be inconvenient so they will never do it. Sorry venting, a little but it is so ridiculous how they are singling out the cruise lines. 

It gets much more interesting on page 6; have to get past the headlines 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

• Like 1

The required plans for dealing with the virus are interesting.  The cruise lines need to develop better plans for testing on the ship and have improved methods and staff for dealing with passengers and crew on board the ship.  They also need to develop private sources for evacuating people from the ships.

33 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It gets much more interesting on page 6; have to get past the headlines 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

Not even sure what to say. This thing spreads. Saw lots of people doing questionable things getting groceries, at work, etc. That is pretty harsh too. Can you imagine if they said the same about stores being open? 

Cruise ships just got into trouble because they are a self contained environment and people are on for enough time for the virus to present itself. The fact that patient zero many times from off the ship is telling. Of course the cruisline response initially was probably not the best way to handle it, but no one really knew how to handle it then, including the ports that wouldn't let sick passengers off. To this day I don't think the 50 states are handling it the same. This was a rapidly developing situation and most everyone is doing the right things to make it better. Those right things change daily if not hourly as we learn more.

Can't wait till this is under control and we can start to talk about perks vs no perks and chair hogs again. Just glad we live close enough to my parents so that we can get them supplies so they don't leave the house right now.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Thanks 1

Until there is universal testing, we are all guessing.  And as far as cruising in Europe, how does one propose to do that without flying there.  Luftansa has grounded all their huge planes permanently since the company feels airplane traffic will decrease significantly.  We live in New York in the epicenter of this and right now on Long Island which is the newest hot spot.  American currently has just three departures daily.  Delta has grounded 95% of their fleet.  We are a long, long, way from getting out of this.  Just my take on this.  Had our transatlantic cruise scheduled for April 17 cancelled.  We asked for refund.  So far nothing not even an acknowledgement once we indicated we wanted our money back.  We have been in our home for over 5 weeks now.  Once things resume it will be like 9/11, not carefree and lots of checking of people coming in and going out of the country.  Don't mean to be a downer,  just realistic and pragmatic.  We have cruised many lines and over 30 to different places.  We enjoyed them all but are readjusting any and all expectations.  Stay well everyone and stay home.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Agree..fine to be on a plane, but not on a cruise, makes no sense.  

If we don’t open the economy up somewhat, it won’t matter to most people. Furloughed-laid people can’t travel much of anywhere.  I’m much more worried about the state of my finances going forward than I am catching the virus.  

I respectfully disagree- it makes perfect sense.  All cruise travel is unnecessary (literally speaking, of course not for some of us🙂).  Sometimes plane travel is necessary.  Few if any people are traveling on planes for vacations.  They are traveling on planes for more important reasons like being with loved ones who need them, perhaps traveling to needed jobs in other states, and things of that nature.  A completely different scenario.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I would not expect cruise lines to begin cancelling cruises yet in those next 100 days as they will hang their hat on the technicality that 100 days is the worst of the 3 scenarios.  We have a cruise planned on July 26 to Alaska.  I can't see it happening, but I also can't imagine the cruise line cancelling it until/if they absolutely have to (and for the record, that is beyond the 100 day timeframe anyway).  I really wish they would as I really want a refund at this point in time - already have some FCC from two other cancelled cruises and prices next year are ridiculous.  We also have two more cruises later this year, and two in early January.  Have had 3 cancelled so far this year already.  We picked a great year to book the most cruises we've ever planned!  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, General's Lady said:

Until there is universal testing, we are all guessing.  And as far as cruising in Europe, how does one propose to do that without flying there.  Luftansa has grounded all their huge planes permanently since the company feels airplane traffic will decrease significantly.  We live in New York in the epicenter of this and right now on Long Island which is the newest hot spot.  American currently has just three departures daily.  Delta has grounded 95% of their fleet.  We are a long, long, way from getting out of this.  Just my take on this.  Had our transatlantic cruise scheduled for April 17 cancelled.  We asked for refund.  So far nothing not even an acknowledgement once we indicated we wanted our money back.  We have been in our home for over 5 weeks now.  Once things resume it will be like 9/11, not carefree and lots of checking of people coming in and going out of the country.  Don't mean to be a downer,  just realistic and pragmatic.  We have cruised many lines and over 30 to different places.  We enjoyed them all but are readjusting any and all expectations.  Stay well everyone and stay home.

Hi,

We were suppose to be on that same cruise (TA to Southampton).

No acknowledgement (no one got one) for the online form. They don't want

a paper trail that you can use to try to ever get you money refunded.

They are also coming up with creative excuses to not refund anyone (ever).

Only people who have complained to the credit card companies got refunded.

They are in survive mode and cash refunds are not their concern. Probably

not enough cruisers took the IOU's (FCC). My opinion, but I see many posts with

the same outlook. Can you tell I'm upset??

Bill

things don't look better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do not expect cruiselines to cancel cruises.  Until they have no choice. Even if CDC or anyone else comes out with more definitive directives. Cruise lines want your deposit money. Or better yet, cruiselines do not want to hand over any more money than they have to. Even if they cancel, it is  months before anyone  sees the deposit credits if ever. 

Some of you are giving deposits in May for cruises in the Fall. I just don't understand why anyone would do that. Am I missing something here?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BP99 said:

Hi,

We were suppose to be on that same cruise (TA to Southampton).

No acknowledgement (no one got one) for the online form. They don't want

a paper trail that you can use to try to ever get you money refunded.

They are also coming up with creative excuses to not refund anyone (ever).

Only people who have complained to the credit card companies got refunded.

They are in survive mode and cash refunds are not their concern. Probably

not enough cruisers took the IOU's (FCC). My opinion, but I see many posts with

the same outlook. Can you tell I'm upset??

Bill

things don't look better. 

Bill, I agree with what you say and understand why you would be upset. 

29 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I would not expect cruise lines to begin cancelling cruises yet in those next 100 days as they will hang their hat on the technicality that 100 days is the worst of the 3 scenarios.  We have a cruise planned on July 26 to Alaska.  I can't see it happening, but I also can't imagine the cruise line cancelling it until/if they absolutely have to (and for the record, that is beyond the 100 day timeframe anyway).  I really wish they would as I really want a refund at this point in time - already have some FCC from two other cancelled cruises and prices next year are ridiculous.  We also have two more cruises later this year, and two in early January.  Have had 3 cancelled so far this year already.  We picked a great year to book the most cruises we've ever planned!  

Hi,

We are in the same boat (sorry for the pun). We booked 5 this year (two paid in

full and cancelled by the cruise line) and 3 for the fall (only NRD). All excellent places to go and see.We were excited but now are depressed since we may never see our money again. 

Bill

32 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

and prices next year are ridiculous.

I totally agree....not sure what will happen with our Nov. cruise and looking forward to next Spring (maybe - depends on how this virus rolls out in the coming months)...but...if they really want return passengers who have asked for refunds, not FCCs, maybe make the pricing attractive.  I'm sorry for the financial impact on X, but I'm not paying so much more for a future cruise, especially with the concern this virus will rear it's ugly head again sooner than later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BP99 said:

Hi,

We are in the same boat (sorry for the pun). We booked 5 this year (two paid in

full and cancelled by the cruise line) and 3 for the fall (only NRD). All excellent places to go and see.We were excited but now are depressed since we may never see our money again. 

Bill

The sky is not falling, it is just that the clouds are very, very, very slow moving...

Many others are/were expecting refunds to be instantaneous and they are not, unfortunately.

Please indicate which 'options' you were provided towards either a FULL refund or partial or ????

Was this before X cancelled or did you jump the gun?

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The CDC no sail order has no jurisdiction over a cruise leaving a port other than a US port, unless your cruise is ending in the US.

Totally agree!

However, Celebrity have adapted US policies outside of the US before. 

We had a New Zealand cruise booked for April. A few days before NZ announced a cruise ban we received a notification from Celebrity that we would not  be allowed to embark because they followed the US travel ban for Europeans - on a non-US ship at the other end of the world.

Because it was a corporate decision, Celebrity have to refund the cruise and reimburse us for flights, hotels etc. 

So I would not call it impossible that Celebrity were to follow the order worldwide. That is if at that time there were any cruises at all - and that’s not a small if.

Edited by Miaminice

We have a cruise booked with Oceania for Dec/Jan 2020.  I know it will not happen.

We will not give final dep, in fact will cancel 120 before sail date to avoid admin fee.

We have a $500 dep on it. Would probably make sense to cancel it now. Taking a real chance waiting, since if they go bankrupt , we will see none of it.

So I have not taken my own advice, to cancel now and hope to get it back, while there may still be some money in the coffers. 

There is nothing to gain by waiting. Need someone to convince me to take my own advice. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Please indicate which 'options' you were provided towards either a FULL refund or partial or ????

I'm just curious due to the number of your responses to people concerned about getting their refunds or FCC.

Do you have any cruises booked for the remainder of 2020 that would have you personally involved in getting funds back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t mean to presume what anyone else’s finances look like, but having less money than I did before this happened, won’t kill me, but COVID-19 has the potential to.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

The sky is not falling, it is just that the clouds are very, very, very slow moving...

Many others are/were expecting refunds to be instantaneous and they are not, unfortunately.

Was this before X cancelled or did you jump the gun?

bon voyage

Hi,

For the two in April, I waited till Celebrity cancelled. Asked for 100% refund.

Got taxes and fees for the first one after 3 weeks. Nothing for the second. 

For the 3 in the fall, I cancelled. I only had NRD paid on those 3. I did

NOT want to lose more money by paying a huge amount under the

assumption that they will cancel and would give me 100% refund. I don't

gamble. However, even though I lost the NRD (probably get an FCC if

they are still around) I had to pay my travel agent $100 US ($150 CDN) to

cancel each cruise ($300). This is MY fault- next time I'll read the fine print!!

• Like 1

I wonder if cruise lines will have to expand, modify and upgrade the medical centers on ships  to handle more patients,  advanced equipment and an expanded staff, beyond current levels.

Maybe they will convert space for that purpose rather than adding  more staterooms and suites.

Of course, all will be moot if they go belly up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Argo. said:

I'm just curious due to the number of your responses to people concerned about getting their refunds or FCC.

Do you have any cruises booked for the remainder of 2020 that would have you personally involved in getting funds back?

Yes, I have two (2) and do have contingency plans in place to either cancel or take the FCC.

Thank you for asking and confirming.

bon voyage

17 minutes ago, BP99 said:

Hi,

For the two in April, I waited till Celebrity cancelled. Asked for 100% refund.

Got taxes and fees for the first one after 3 weeks. Nothing for the second. 

For the 3 in the fall, I cancelled. I only had NRD paid on those 3. I did

NOT want to lose more money by paying a huge amount under the

assumption that they will cancel and would give me 100% refund. I don't

gamble. However, even though I lost the NRD (probably get an FCC if

they are still around) I had to pay my travel agent $100 US ($150 CDN) to

cancel each cruise ($300). This is MY fault- next time I'll read the fine print!!

b - I understand, you have been hit by your TA and the NRD....

Your TA did not work with you on their fees, obviously, sorry to hear that.

No need to place blame on yourself in these times, things are very difficult to monitor and keep up with.

Keep the faith and bon voyage

• Like 1