How will elevators work in the age of social distancing?

How are land elevators going to work with social distancing.  I would think that would present a larger risk to most everyone than cruise ship elevators, since you most likely use land ones more often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lidodeckdrinks said:

Youre certainly entitled to your opinion.  But if my otherwise healthy self succumbs to a disease with a greater than 98% survival rate (hard to deny that), and you happen to be working in the hospital in which I die, I need a favor.  Please ensure my corpse is face down with a sign over it saying “kiss my a$ s”. 

The problem you don't seem to get its its not about you.  Its about the people who can''t cope with the illness.  You can't see further than yourself.  Which is really sad.  Your arse is your arse.  I don't want to kiss it or see it.  May it rest in peace.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

How are land elevators going to work with social distancing.  I would think that would present a larger risk to most everyone than cruise ship elevators, since you most likely use land ones more often.

I've honestly never been as packed on a land elevator as I have been on a ship😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm guessing that there will have to be some way to limit the number of people on an elevator at any given time.  How will that work?  I can't imagine passengers would police themselves.  It seems like there would have to be crew members on every floor, at every elevator bank, 24 hours a day.

We have a library in our town that has an elevator with a sign that no more than 4 people should be on at any time.It is on the honor system.

2 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I think its the dead bodies which are telling us not to do it.  I am weary of people in denial, perhaps because my work is in hospitals.

Well said.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I've honestly never been as packed on a land elevator as I have been on a ship😉

But, have you been 6 feet from someone else?  I don't think most elevators could hold more than two people and have them 6 feet apart.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

But, have you been 6 feet from someone else?  I don't think most elevators could hold more than two people and have them 6 feet apart.

Agreed, our condo seems to be keeping loads to a manageable separation, but much closer than 6 feet. I have let elevators pass me by if they have a group already onboard. 

54 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

It was tested on Harmony and set to be part of the new build on Symphony. Total flop, far fewer people moved per hour. One big drawback was someone would see a open door walk in and be stuck because they did not use the outside call button to request a new floor.  I think Carnival Horizon is having better luck. 

Thanks for filling in the details. 

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope, doubt there will be limit when Cruises start....though I never use Elevators, think last one used on a Cruise was 7rs ago

We always used stairs as much as possible too, but things do change.  I dislocated and broke my ankle and dislocated my knee cap last Aug.  My ankle is healed.  I'm still working on my knee in PT. I can climb stairs one at a time which is not exactly efficient or comfortable on my good knee.  I will need to use an elevator until my knee is completely rehabbed.  You don't appreciate what you can do, until you can't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BND said:

We always used stairs as much as possible too, but things do change.  I dislocated and broke my ankle and dislocated my knee cap last Aug.  My ankle is healed.  I'm still working on my knee in PT. I can climb stairs one at a time which is not exactly efficient or comfortable on my good knee.  I will need to use an elevator until my knee is completely rehabbed.  You don't appreciate what you can do, until you can't.

I have not been able to walk up or down on a staircase for 3 years.Try and visualize being in a wheelchair and waiting for an elevator on a cruise ship.It is like waiting for Godot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I would think that would present a larger risk to most everyone than cruise ship elevators, since you most likely use land ones more often.

Other issue with land elevators are tall buildings with many floors and more time traveling between them.

6 hours ago, Heymarco said:

The only way to enforce would be to have a staffer ride each elevator (less people than on each floor as previously suggested). However if social distancing is still a thing then there would be larger problems to solve for first. Ships would realistically have to sail at less than 1/2 capacity to keep public spaces from crowding. Think about pool, theater, promenade, etc. Elevators would be least of problems. Social distancing has never been the solution, just a very short term stop-gap.

Just a thought... so RC sails Mariner to CocoCay 1/3 capacity. The ship seems empty. Pool deck has loungers 6 feet apart. Elevators are allowed to only 1 person at a time.....

Joe, Diabetic long time RCL cruiser, 65 yrs old, gets on board because he is desperate to get on a cruise as soon as possible. Joe doesn't know it yet, but he is compromised if he is infected with C19.

Unbeknownst to anyone, a carrier of C19 also boards the ship. There's no testing, C19 carrier does not have a fever, and shows no symptoms. 

Day 1, Joe takes the elevator by himself up to the pool deck to enjoy his first drink on a "safe" pool deck with social distanced loungers. Unfortunately for him, before he gets to the "safe" loungers, he walks by the C19 carrier speaking/laughing to their spouse very loudly and happily, and microscopic droplets from their saliva fall into his drink. 

How does the social distancing in the elevator or pool deck prevent that?

Social Distancing is the solution until 1) everyone decides they just want to kill the weak who would die anyways had there been no social distancing or 2) there's a vaccine/immunity test/something that can ensure 100% that each and every one of the cruisers going up the gangway are clear of C19. The problem is, if you choose option #1, the second there's one case on a cruise ship, all the cruise lines will be burned at the stake by media and by public perception. They'll be goners.

I don't think social distancing is possible at all on a cruise ship even with 1/4 capacity.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

Sorry, agree. Appreciate I'm still able take 21+ nite Cruises each time and able use only stairs. Do understand one illness/injury can change your life. Was in Army over 20yrs when after being wounded took me 2yrs get back to a Deployable Status. Almost 30 Surgeries/Procedures, 200+ PT visits, Hard Road but grateful able get back most what I lost. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, FloridaGator said:

I don't know how they could be retrofitted, but what about escalators? Easy to keep distance and continuous moving service.

Need Escalators or limit Elevator Passengers or half whats been said on CC ships will never carry passengers. That aside, I plan on boarding a Cruise Ship this Fall.

42 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I don't think social distancing is possible at all on a cruise ship even with 1/4 capacity.

It's ridiculous to think it's even an option for an industry that's main source of income is transporting thousands upon thousands of people in a confined environment. Even in the few retail stores open, where they are controlling  the number of people entering the store it's impossible to social distance 100% of the time while shopping. Anyone who thinks that all of their fellow passengers will wear a mask even if it's required, are just delusional.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm not worried.  I'm curious.

Elevators are the least of the issue. How long will the line get if everyone waiting has to stand 6 feet apart and they only allow 2 at a time in the elevator?  I don't have patience to wait for an elevator now. I book midship on deck 6 or 7 just so I can use the stairs  to get to the main venues on the lower deck. If I go to the top decks it's one time in the morning and back down in the afternoon to get ready for dinner. Thankfully I'm still mobil. It was tough last year before my hip replacement.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't. We have no reason to use an elevator except on vacation in a hotel or on a ship. 

Very difficult situation.

Maybe if elevators are reserved for wheelchair users only and for people with medical proof they are severely mobility limited.

The exercise health benefits of using the stairs would be good for most people.

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Very difficult situation.

Maybe if elevators are reserved for wheelchair users only and for people with medical proof they are severely mobility limited.

The exercise health benefits of using the stairs would be good for most people.

Were O Were are the Kids going to play if not in the elevators 🙄

• Haha 3

Maybe we could swab for covid, flu, and rsv prior to boarding the elevator each time? 

Noro and clostridium difficile are terrible GI issues so a stool sample should be presented or it's the stairs for you. 

Maybe pregnancy tests for all (including men)?

Lastly and this one is great because it would benefit Royal as well:

Inspired by the Key... I call it 'The Lift.' For $14.99 per person per day (that's 25% off the normal $19.99) you can enjoy unlimited elevator rides! Upon screening and screening and boarding of the ship and screening again, you will receive your 'Lift' sticker to be placed on your seapass card. Conveniently show your Lift  sticker to one of our 84 not washy-washy, but "UPY-DOWNY" crew members. There will be two upy-downy crew members on each floor of each elevator bank for your safety. Simply have your temperature checked, wash your hands with soap and water for a minimum of 30 seconds, don your required Royal Caribbean N95 mask (not included with the purchase of 'The Lift'), and be lifted away to your next adventure! 

Edited by ToroAzul
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3